Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

Good to know, I'll try to remember to do that this fall. We bought the house in January, and aside from routine maintenance not a lot of upkeep had been done on the plants. Here's some more shots of the mystery flower from before:

Looks like some kind of alium blossom.

Edite: VV Oh, hahah. Sorry. No idea then.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hummingbirds posted:

Looks like some kind of alium blossom.

No, the dangly one in the foreground, not the purple ones.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

stubblyhead posted:

No, the dangly one in the foreground, not the purple ones.

Still looks like a variety of allium to me, with that membrane over the flowers that you can see on the first image you posted.

Kind of like this, Allium bulgaricum: http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/nectaroscordum-bulgaricum.html

Crab Ran fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 7, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Still looks like a variety of allium to me, with that membrane over the flowers that you can see on the first image you posted.

Kind of like this, Allium bulgaricum: http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/nectaroscordum-bulgaricum.html

That sure does look like it, thanks!

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

I tried to find it again and wasn't able to.
You're looking for a dichotomous key or a polyclave key.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Suave Fedora posted:

If I had a patch of patio where grass simply wouldn't grow, I'd just make a circular garden around the tree or create functionality out of it, perhaps a bench on large square pavers or something to that effect. Nature is already saying that the sunlight being filtered isn't enough to support grass, so find something that would be supported.

I can't block it off or turn it into a garden. It's the narrow strip between my fence and covered patio that allows me access to the back yard (I have a tiny yard). And I do have a plan B. If I can't get grass established this year, I'm going to put in some bugleweed there next year.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

It's actually an Allium siculum aka Sicilian honey garlic. You were very close. (I only know this because my mom gave me a bunch of them last year. :ssh: )

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

zeroprime posted:

Thanks to your posts I've been bitten by the bug. I think I need to get some carnivorous plants to take care of it.

Oh man you should totally do it. Hit me up on PMs if you want any help, or drop me a line at sundews.etc at gmail dot com.

In other news, my Drosera intermedia 'Cuba' seedlings are looking great, and are in full flower.

I started these from seed back around Christmas, and had a really high germination rate. I actually wish I had sown the pot a bit less densely, but it's really hard to see the sundew seeds, which are like grains of ground pepper. If I had more room in my trays I'd thin this out into several more pots. Ah well.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 10, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I wanted to start planting the shade garden plants this weekend, but it looks like we'll be getting quite a bit of rain. Are there any known issues with planting new plants in the rain, or is it best to do it in better weather? Because if it's still okay to do in rainy weather, I'm going to go ahead with my plans.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The best time to transplant is actually right before it rains (or during a light sprinkling). The plants get less stressed if you move them when it's overcast, and having a nice rain afterwards helps them get established in their new home. After a rain is actually the bad time because then the soil is real wet and tends to compact, making it harder for the transplanted roots to get a foothold.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I bought a variety of flowers for my mom, but this one didn't have a tag, and neither did any of the other pots or baskets of the same. I didn't think to ask someone while I was there either.

Also, will the plants be fine sitting in my car overnight if I wait until the sun pretty much goes down before putting them in there? I've got cats wanting to get into the room to get at them, and a husband with allergies, and so if I can put them in the car tonight instead of before work (where I'll be dropping them off to my mom on the way) in the morning, that'd be ideal.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I bought a variety of flowers for my mom, but this one didn't have a tag, and neither did any of the other pots or baskets of the same. I didn't think to ask someone while I was there either.

Also, will the plants be fine sitting in my car overnight if I wait until the sun pretty much goes down before putting them in there? I've got cats wanting to get into the room to get at them, and a husband with allergies, and so if I can put them in the car tonight instead of before work (where I'll be dropping them off to my mom on the way) in the morning, that'd be ideal.

That's a begonia. You can tell from how the leaf shape isn't symmetric.

They should be fine in your car if you park it in the shade and leave the window cracked.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 8, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'll be putting in some plants for the very first time this coming weekend. I was watching this video and it suggests using gravel in areas where water doesn't drain well. Are you supposed to mix it in with the soil or something? How much gravel should be used? And should mulch be used in an area with poor drainage, or should I stick to soil only?

Marchegiana posted:

The best time to transplant is actually right before it rains (or during a light sprinkling). The plants get less stressed if you move them when it's overcast, and having a nice rain afterwards helps them get established in their new home. After a rain is actually the bad time because then the soil is real wet and tends to compact, making it harder for the transplanted roots to get a foothold.
I figured the rain might be a factor. Luckily, it looks like the rain will bypass our area. :f5:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
That lady's just spouting old nonsense about planting. You shouldn't add anything to your native soil without a soil test and a very good reason, including compost (compost should only be added as a top dressing, in any case). The most important things you can do when planting is wash all substrate off the roots, fix any circling roots, use your native soil, and then add a wood chip mulch after planting.

Article on proper planting technique: http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Instant%20landscape.pdf

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

unprofessional posted:

That lady's just spouting old nonsense about planting. You shouldn't add anything to your native soil without a soil test and a very good reason, including compost (compost should only be added as a top dressing, in any case). The most important things you can do when planting is wash all substrate off the roots, fix any circling roots, use your native soil, and then add a wood chip mulch after planting.

Article on proper planting technique: http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Instant%20landscape.pdf
Would I be going wrong just buying the plants + some top soil? What kind of soil testing kit is the best for this purpose?

I am so out of my element, here. :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Don't worry about soil testing or buying any sort of soil amendment, aside from mulch, honestly. Just remove potted soil, spread out the roots horizontally, use your native soil, and mulch. People over-complicate it. You're buying very hardy perennials that will end up doing most of your work for you.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

unprofessional posted:

Don't worry about soil testing or buying any sort of soil amendment, aside from mulch, honestly. Just remove potted soil, spread out the roots horizontally, use your native soil, and mulch. People over-complicate it. You're buying very hardy perennials that will end up doing most of your work for you.
I'll do exactly that. Thanks very much. Do I need to add any fertilizer? I just picked some up because the soil I'm planting in is quite dry.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You can if you want, but stick with a slow-release fertilizer, like Osmocote.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011
Hi everyone. I just bought a lithops the other day, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for caring for these little guys.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was gonna post some stuff for you, but instead just read this: http://www.lithops.info

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011

Kenning posted:

I was gonna post some stuff for you, but instead just read this: http://www.lithops.info

Thank you! This is very helpful.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Son of a BITCH.

My creeping phlox was really hard to plant because there were little stubby evergreen "branch" that snaked out horizontally but the tiny roots were not. I think I put them in too shallow and some died. I also added peat they sent with them. Can I dig them up (not too hard, just lift, apparently) and do again this year? I did this in the fall last year.

I'll see if my brother can get some camera pictures of them. It looks really bad :(

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just saw something that caught my eye in this article. The part that says:

quote:

Container potting material needs to be removed from the root mass and composted – not added
to the planting hole
By "container potting material" do they mean the crappy plastic container? Or the potting soil that store-bought plants come with?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

That70sHeidi posted:

Son of a BITCH.

My creeping phlox was really hard to plant because there were little stubby evergreen "branch" that snaked out horizontally but the tiny roots were not. I think I put them in too shallow and some died. I also added peat they sent with them. Can I dig them up (not too hard, just lift, apparently) and do again this year? I did this in the fall last year.

I'll see if my brother can get some camera pictures of them. It looks really bad :(
Phlox is pretty hardy. I'm sure if you replant, which will probably be easy since it doesn't sound well established, you'll do just fine.

melon cat posted:

By "container potting material" do they mean the crappy plastic container? Or the potting soil that store-bought plants come with?
She means the potting soil. I keep old pots around, as you invariably end up needing them for one thing or another.

In other news, here's a couple of my best looking succulents.

Senecio fulgens:

Variegated Haworthia cymbiformis hybrid:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Help! Can you identify this plant growing in my garden? Please tell me it isn't poison ivy or poison oak or poison anything. A friend of a friend identified it as such and I'm really hoping she was wrong.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Poison ivy has three leaves at the end of a stem, the center leaf almost always has it's own small stem and is longer than the two side leaves, and the edges are usually (but not always) serrated. Don't gently caress with that plant, unless you just really want to try to prove her her wrong.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright. We got the plants into the soil thanks to the advice in this thread (I couldn't find many of the suggested plants, though). It's looking better already. :)

I sprinkled some fertilizer (it's that granule-type that looks like gravel). But how much are you supposed to use? And how often?

We also saw these plants at the local store- can anyone identify them? They look neat.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

We also saw these plants at the local store- can anyone identify them? They look neat.

Those are all different varieties of Stonecrop, a ground cover for full sun that stands up to drought well and can grow drat near anywhere, even in the cracks of rocks. It's such a good ground cover because broken stem sections don't die, they callus over and will grow roots once wind blows that section somewhere favorable. They're part of the genus Sedum, which is a huge genus. There are other sedum varieties that are upright and do not spread along the ground, with the same hardiness. It flowers too.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

Those are all different varieties of Stonecrop, a ground cover for full sun that stands up to drought well and can grow drat near anywhere, even in the cracks of rocks. It's such a good ground cover because broken stem sections don't die, they callus over and will grow roots once wind blows that section somewhere favorable. They're part of the genus Sedum, which is a huge genus. There are other sedum varieties that are upright and do not spread along the ground, with the same hardiness. It flowers too.
Thanks for IDing those for me! I think I'll add them to our front yard. Are they considered to be annuals/perennials? And do you just remove them from the tray the stores sell them in, and bury them slightly? And do they grow outward and spread from your initial stonecrop "tray", or do you have to buy several trays worth in order to get decent ground coverage? Just wondering how much I'll need to buy.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 10, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

Thanks for IDing those for me! I think I'll add them to our front yard. Are they considered to be annuals/perennials? And do you just remove them from the tray the stores sell them in, and bury them slightly? And do they grow outward and spread from your initial stonecrop "tray", or do you have to buy several trays worth in order to get decent ground coverage? Just wondering how much I'll need to buy.

They're perennials, and they spread out from their original spots. That means staggering them out across the area you want them to cover. Plant them exactly like any other plant, remove them from the pot/tray they came in, fan the roots out and plant them with the top of their dirt a ground level.

How many to buy depends on how large an area you wish to cover and how soon you want complete coverage.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

They're perennials, and they spread out from their original spots. That means staggering them out across the area you want them to cover. Plant them exactly like any other plant, remove them from the pot/tray they came in, fan the roots out and plant them with the top of their dirt a ground level.

How many to buy depends on how large an area you wish to cover and how soon you want complete coverage.

Awesome. I'll do this next weekend. Can they coexist with the other plants I just planted, or do they completely take things over?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

Awesome. I'll do this next weekend. Can they coexist with the other plants I just planted, or do they completely take things over?

Your existing plants should be fine. With ground covers, you have to worry more about them escaping across barriers. The ones you really have to worry about are the ones that can climb, like ivy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

unprofessional posted:

Phlox is pretty hardy. I'm sure if you replant, which will probably be easy since it doesn't sound well established, you'll do just fine.

She means the potting soil. I keep old pots around, as you invariably end up needing them for one thing or another.

In other news, here's a couple of my best looking succulents.

Senecio fulgens:

Variegated Haworthia cymbiformis hybrid:

That is an awesome Senecio! I didn't realize there were caudiciform species!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I got my mom this blue spruce topiary for mother's day. Is there anything special we should know about it?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You have to slowly raise it to really show it, but it looks so nice once you do.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Tremors posted:

I got my mom this blue spruce topiary for mother's day. Is there anything special we should know about it?

Expect two to three inches of growth a year once it really kicks in. Make sure you take your time and really clean all the potting mix off the roots and spread them well. It looks a little overpotted, so it might take some work (soaking it in a bucket for a half hour can make it a lot easier). Plant it even with where it was planted in the pot and enjoy. Looks like a nice plant. It won't even need trimmed (or take well to it), as it's a spruce.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I was wondering about this too. I'm certainly no expert, but I've done gardening in my own yard for a long time and helped my parents a lot when I was a kid, and I've never heard of getting rid of the potting soil the plant came in. I always loosen it up and spread the roots out, but never removing the soil. I've always had reasonably good results too. What's the rationale?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
A lot of it has to do with what is used in the horticulture industry for potting mix.

The article "Root Balls, Part 1" explains it pretty well:

quote:

A second problem with containerized materials can also
be avoided during your root inspection. In
general, the media in the container is a soilless mix
with a large proportion of organic matter and pumice.
If transplanted with the plant as part of the root ball,
this material will inhibit root development outside
the planting hole. Furthermore, the porous texture
of this planting media will often lose water more
rapidly than the surrounding native soil, resulting in incr
eased water stress to your new transplant. It is
much better for root establishment to remove as mu
ch of the container material as possible before the
plant is installed. The best use for the discarded cont
ainer mix is as a topdressing over the disturbed soil.
When covered with wood chips or another mulch that
will reduce weed colonization, the container media
serves as a nice source of slow-release nutrients.

If you're fixing the circling roots and spreading them horizontally, you're probably better off than 90% of gardeners, but what we really want is the fastest root establishment into your native soil.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

unprofessional posted:

Expect two to three inches of growth a year once it really kicks in. Make sure you take your time and really clean all the potting mix off the roots and spread them well. It looks a little overpotted, so it might take some work (soaking it in a bucket for a half hour can make it a lot easier). Plant it even with where it was planted in the pot and enjoy. Looks like a nice plant. It won't even need trimmed (or take well to it), as it's a spruce.

Thanks for the tips. Since you seem to be a bit of an expert on all things coniferous, I'm hoping you can tell me what to do with a tree in my backyard. It seems like the past couple of winters have been harder and harder on it and it takes a while to green up. I'm thinking it's finally done for since every needle on it is half brown. Is it possible to save it? If not, would removing it damage the other pine tree next to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I can't say anything about saving it (I'm not very good with conifers, in your place I'd just get rid of it), but it's not looking good, especially when you look at the two of them side by side. If you do want to get rid of it just cutting it down at the base should do the trick. Conifers usually don't regrow if you cut them close to the ground- they focus most of their growth buds in the top/ends of the trunk and branches, so there usually isn't anything for them to resprout from close to the base.