Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Artificer posted:

If you don't have very high Dex at all, is it worth trying to go for a poison build with dual rapiers or something similar? I'm wondering if I could fool around with poison weapons on my Str/Faith build.

With 18 Dex I can use the Espada as well as the Scorpion Stinger. I can also powerstance rapiers/estocs. I'm wondering if I should put them in a Lightning or Poison infusion. I really want to play with Poison but if it isn't worth it without high dex... :(

I forget does infusion scale with dex or int? I had an okay dex on my ps3 and rapier with poison was nice though not a make or breaker on pvp even if it was fun to use. I would definitely keep it for big enemies you want to poison though. Seems like four hits of anything is always the magic number regardless of what poison weapon you use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Got my first hate :3:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

How the heck do they even find you to message ya?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Foxhound posted:

Got my first hate :3:

This guy added you just to say that???

Fereydun posted:

You can view recent players, though you'd have to be pretty mad to go through all that trouble.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Alan Smithee posted:

I forget does infusion scale with dex or int? I had an okay dex on my ps3 and rapier with poison was nice though not a make or breaker on pvp even if it was fun to use. I would definitely keep it for big enemies you want to poison though. Seems like four hits of anything is always the magic number regardless of what poison weapon you use

The poison infusion apparently scales with Dex.

If it isn't worthwhile on my Str/Faith character I'll just put them on a lightning infusion so I have a comedy pokepokepoke option in PvP at least. I'd love to have poison though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fereydun posted:

Hit the "players" link in the overlay, you can see the last players you've interacted with in MP.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

The Crusher posted:

This guy added you just to say that???

Yeah, he wasn't happy that I ran him down when he started his 4-buffs routine.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Night Blade posted:

Memorable Dark Souls 1 bosses! (By Popular Demand!)!!

!

Aslyum Demon: Unlike the FEROCIOUS AND LEGENDARY dragons of DKS2, this enemy will actually look up at you if you approach from a high ledge, and then proceed to break the platform with his mace and; if you're not dead from that, proceed to fight you. A good introduction boss.

Taurus Demon: The next boss that reinforces the following: don't think mainstream convention. Once again, this boss will follow you wherever you go; and simply locking on to him is not enough to topple the boss. New players will struggle, but ultimately learn from this fight.

Gargoyles: Another hard area for new players, this boss will surprise you by bringing another enemy into the fight after a certain point. This battle will teach you turtling isn't always the answer. DPS race fight. In Dark Souls 2; they completely miss the point of this fight and just throw in 2 more just for laughs I guess? Who knows.

Moonlit Butterfly: A visually great designed boss that teaches you, the hard way, that you can't just block everything. As bursts of slow moving energy fly into your shield, your hp takes a sudden nose dive, if it doesn't outright kill you.

Gaping Dragon: Comically easy, but, again, has a great visual design.

Great Grey Wolf Sif: Needs no introduction, it's a giant wolf wielding a similarly giant sword. Unprepared and/or light armor uses will have trouble. Has a neat extra cutscene if you completed the DLC. Great shield helps a lot with this boss, but not to the degree in which it breaks bosses in this game.

Ornstein and Smough: I don't need to explain this.

Sanctuary Guardian: A great fast paced boss fight. Not terribly hard, but not terribly easy either. Took me a few tries but nothing horrible.

Black Dragon Kalameet: This is what a dragon should be. Quick, frightening, deadly. This bastard menaces you throughout the entire DLC; and when Gough shoots the prick down with a great arrow; you finally get your chance to face him; though even injured he will kill you many times. He boasts a wide array of attacks including massively damaging black fire, telekinesis, and good old fashioned physical attacks. Not broken, cheap, or easily exploited like the dragons of Dark Souls 2.

Artorias: I'm getting bored of typing these.

Manus, Father of the Abyss: The first thing this boss does is grab you and throw you into his domain. Manus attacks furiously and has attacks that require precise, but fair timing to dodge. Also, you can summon puppy Sif to help you fight him. What does Nashandra do? Shoot a black fart laser in your general direction, and has a damage aura that broken by easily available life gems.

Crossbreed Priscilla: An invisible boss shrouded in mystery. Not particularly hard; but a really interesting and memorable encounter.

Four Kings: The ultimate DPS race, this fight defies everything the game has taught you thus far. The start of the fight has you plunging into a black void and ends with you swinging your weapon madly at giant monstrosities that have no end if you're too slow.

Gwyn: Many can argue that the boss is too easy; though you could just as easily say that it was intentional. Providing you don't cheese him out with parry; what you will find is one of the most ferocious and persistent human type enemies in the game. Those first few attempts where I tried to not parry him were brutal.

I've left out a few bosses that were too easy, but had great designs and concepts (like Nito!) but I think I've made my point. Plenty to choose from.

The worst bosses in Dark Souls 1 are better than the best bosses this game has to offer, with the exception of Dark Lurker.

Best bosses from Dark Souls 2!

Smelter Demon: The first boss in which you're forced to space properly, and do enough damage quickly. The encounter, however can be reduced to the state of the rest of the game's boss encounters by using a Gyrm Great Sheild. Also looks like a big dumb anus monster.

Dark Lurker: I'll admit, I did not fight this guy yet; I'm still stockpiling Human Effigies.

This is so hilariously bias and without objectivity.

Asylum Demon? Yeah it's kinda neat as a first boss "welcome to dark souls you're gonna fight giant things" kind of boss but gently caress he's stupid. Also, the ruin sentinels will also jump up to attack you.

Taurus Demon? I mean, he's great in that it's basically a surprise boss fight. I also don't understand your argument of "simply locking on to him is not enough".

Moonlight Butterfly?? This is such a lovely fight. "Not ranged? Well gently caress you dodge the same 2 spells for 5 minutes before I deign to let you attack me. Who's that? Witch Beatrice? Let me roll right over and give you my soul."

Gwyn being aggressive as gently caress just highlights how non-aggressive the other DS1 bosses tended to be. In 2, Smelter, Velstadt, and Lost Sinner were generally pretty aggressive.

But seriously, saying the worst DS1 boss is better than the best DS2 boss is the dumbest hyperbole in the history of mankind.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The bosses in the Dark Souls DLC were pretty amazing. They were all incredibly aggressive and fast paced fights. Can't complain about Dark Souls 2, its a pretty good game as well.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Lets get angry and talk about video games!

Seriously the amount of hostility some people are giving about Dark Souls opinions is getting a little ridiculous

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm mad guys. Mad at emit force. Its my main joy in dark souls to summon and murder phantoms on the iron bridge. Emit force is as wide as the bridge.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

This is so hilariously bias and without objectivity.

You asked, right? I elaborated in a hastily written fashion.

quote:

Asylum Demon? Yeah it's kinda neat as a first boss "welcome to dark souls you're gonna fight giant things" kind of boss but gently caress he's stupid. Also, the ruin sentinels will also jump up to attack you.

Why is he stupid?

Yes, Ruin sentinels is one of the few bosses that actually does this; and that has an arena that designed for them. Unfortunately, any enjoyment to be had is sapped by phase two of the fight in which you must employ the stale tactic of "keep both in sight, wait until both attackers animations play out, and then attack once"

quote:

Taurus Demon? I mean, he's great in that it's basically a surprise boss fight. I also don't understand your argument of "simply locking on to him is not enough".

Yeah, I should have elaborated on that. What I meant was that simply locking on and circle strafing, using the rudimentary skills imparted on you by other games of the genre will get you your poo poo pushed in.

quote:

Moonlight Butterfly?? This is such a lovely fight. "Not ranged? Well gently caress you dodge the same 2 spells for 5 minutes before I deign to let you attack me. Who's that? Witch Beatrice? Let me roll right over and give you my soul."

It really didn't take that long as a melee character, but yeah; I liked the setting and haunting music as well.

quote:

Gwyn being aggressive as gently caress just highlights how non-aggressive the other DS1 bosses tended to be. In 2, Smelter, Velstadt, and Lost Sinner were generally pretty aggressive.

Other bosses such as...? There were passive bosses in this game that allowed you to break them easily? Do tell.

quote:

But seriously, saying the worst DS1 boss is better than the best DS2 boss is the dumbest hyperbole in the history of mankind.

I hope you realize the intense irony of this statement.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You know what boss I've been thinking about in all the boss discussion? Nito. He had everything. He had adds, he had that ranged gravelord sword dance thing, he had the toxic inflicting nova, he had a grab, and he had the usual "hug crotch to dodge" sword swipes. Plus he looked cool. But for some reason he was still pretty easy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DSauer posted:

The bosses in the Dark Souls DLC were pretty amazing. They were all incredibly aggressive and fast paced fights. Can't complain about Dark Souls 2, its a pretty good game as well.
Yeah, while I think that most of the DS2 bosses are about on par with most of the DS1 bosses, what the game is really, really missing is something like Manus. Lost Sinner is...almost there, but she gives you way too long to recover sometimes, and is utterly trivialized if you think to bring an NPC phantom. (what?) I really need to see about fighting her alone in NG+ with the lights off.

edit:

PublicOpinion posted:

You know what boss I've been thinking about in all the boss discussion? Nito. He had everything. He had adds, he had that ranged gravelord sword dance thing, he had the toxic inflicting nova, he had a grab, and he had the usual "hug crotch to dodge" sword swipes. Plus he looked cool. But for some reason he was still pretty easy.
He had a tiny amount health by the time you got to him and, if you'd dealt with the adds, gave you plenty of time to heal/recharge stamina/whatever and couldn't really punish you over-extending too much.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Oh poo poo, did you know that the old sun ring can explode several times in a row? It is the loving bane of the lovely santier's spear. Oh nice combo, have fun eating five explosions and dying!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

And while I'm here, Fashion Souls!

That is fantastic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Yes, Ruin sentinels is one of the few bosses that actually does this; and that has an arena that designed for them. Unfortunately, any enjoyment to be had is sapped by phase two of the fight in which you must employ the stale tactic of "keep both in sight, wait until both attackers animations play out, and then attack once"

...Also known as "a fundamentally identical strategy to that used to defeat Ornstein and Smough?"

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, while I think that most of the DS2 bosses are about on par with most of the DS1 bosses, what the game is really, really missing is something like Manus. Lost Sinner is...almost there, but she gives you way too long to recover sometimes, and is utterly trivialized if you think to bring an NPC phantom. (what?) I really need to see about fighting her alone in NG+ with the lights off.

edit:

He had a tiny amount health by the time you got to him and, if you'd dealt with the adds, gave you plenty of time to heal/recharge stamina/whatever and couldn't really punish you over-extending too much.

Lost Sinner died in like 20 seconds to my Greatsword, so I don't know how she can be compared to Manus. You can block every single one of her attacks and there's always ample time to drink estus.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

There is no irony. Your reasons for liking the bosses in DS 1 are ridiculously biased to the point where someone can't even argue about it. I mean you rank Asylum Demon over the Last Giant just because it jumps. Nevermind that the Last Giant has much more story relevance, a better introduction, and a more dramatic fight. Him ripping his own arm off to try and kill you? Pft, who cares. Now if he had jumped then he might be worthy of being called a good boss! :shepface:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Imagine if the dragons in Dragon Aerie were like Kalameet in battle. That would be amazing.

Its hard to put the finger on what makes DS2 bosses "worse" than DS1. Obviously people who have finished or at least played DS1 will have an easier time since it's more of the same. On the other hand I can imagine that it's hard to design new encounters without using too many gimmicks. If you think about it, what is the difference between Taurus Demon and Velstadt? Sure, the arena is different but in the end it's a big thing with a big hammer and as long as you avoid it you get to plink at his health. What made Artorias harder than The Pursuer?

My best bet is that the series is just aging and the devs have a hard time coming up with new and imaginative encounters that aren't completely out of left field like the chariot.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

There is no irony. Your reasons for liking the bosses in DS 1 are ridiculously biased to the point where someone can't even argue about it. I mean you rank Asylum Demon over the Last Giant just because it jumps. Nevermind that the Last Giant has much more story relevance, a better introduction, and a more dramatic fight. Him ripping his own arm off to try and kill you? Pft, who cares. Now if he had jumped then he might be worthy of being called a good boss! :shepface:

The Asylum demon interacted with its enviroment, the last giant fruitlessly swipes at you as you hug it's groin.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

So I found another really good Chameleon spot in Belfry Sol:

Specifically the edges of the roof, you can drop down to them from the top of the ladder tower.

Wait til they're on the lower level, make yourself seen from the top of the roof, and exit the fog gate right as they get to the top of the ladder. Good fun, good fun. If you're a sinner, wait for a blue cop to arrive and watch as two grey phantoms wail on him for you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Night Blade posted:

The Asylum demon interacted with its enviroment, the last giant fruitlessly swipes at you as you hug it's groin.

This is devolving into a meaningless internet slapfight. I could just as easily say that the Last Giant conveys emotion and menace and that the Asylum Demon fruitlessly bounces up and down on its rear end as the player swings away at it.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Doesn't the last giant stomp his feet if you're too close?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Lost Sinner died in like 20 seconds to my Greatsword, so I don't know how she can be compared to Manus. You can block every single one of her attacks and there's always ample time to drink estus.

I don't get the Lost Sinner love either. Her attacks are slow with huge pauses between them, she's nothing like Manus or Artorias. And she doesn't become more aggressive on NG (at least I couldn't tell). The only thing that makes her difficult is the lock-on break and the pyromancers on NG (Which are just another example of "MORE = BETTER" design).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

Yes. You think the Asylum demon is better just because he jumps up and hits a platform. That is your only reason. The Lost Giant has way more going for it in terms of design and has actual story relevance, and is also far more dramatic to fight. He's not very difficult, nor should he be since he's the first boss. It still manages to be a memorable fight due to how it plays out though, and then later when you learn the story behind the Last Giant his fight gains a tragic undertone. So much more is done with it than the Asylum Demon fight.

But you think Asylum demon is better because he loving jumps.

The Crusher posted:

Doesn't the last giant stomp his feet if you're too close?

Yes. The way I always fight him is to stand under him and run back and forth between his feet as he tries to stomp you like a bug. Seems like the easiest way to go about it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Night Blade posted:

No sense of humor, no sense of good boss design. :colbert:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Foxhound posted:

Imagine if the dragons in Dragon Aerie were like Kalameet in battle. That would be amazing.

Its hard to put the finger on what makes DS2 bosses "worse" than DS1.

They die instantly, you can block all their attacks, and they're not very aggressive at all so you can always drink estus with impunity.

Perfect example is the abortion of a fight that was the covetous demon. Literally impossible to die to him unless you somehow run out of estus or your computer crashes.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
To be honest I always hated the Artorias fight. The flamboyant leaping and twirling annoyed the hell out of me. :shobon:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes. You think the Asylum demon is better just because he jumps up and hits a platform. That is your only reason. The Lost Giant has way more going for it in terms of design and has actual story relevance, and is also far more dramatic to fight. He's not very difficult, nor should he be since he's the first boss. It still manages to be a memorable fight due to how it plays out though, and then later when you learn the story behind the Last Giant his fight gains a tragic undertone. So much more is done with it than the Asylum Demon fight.

But you think Asylum demon is better because he loving jumps.

Him ripping his arm off to hit you with it fails to be relevant when he can't hit you. Mechanically, Asylum Demon is a better fight. You're even rewarded with a unique weapon if you can kill him before the second encounter. Do you want to keep doing this?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dr. Carwash posted:

They die instantly, you can block all their attacks, and they're not very aggressive at all so you can always drink estus with impunity.

Perfect example is the abortion of a fight that was the covetous demon. Literally impossible to die unless you somehow run out of estus or your computer crashes.
On the other hand if a boss is too aggressive it just means you'll be on the back foot for the entire fight with occasional hits on the boss when it takes a break.

Well DS1 had Ceaseless Discharge and Moon Butterfly, DS2 had Covetus Demon and like Dragonrider.

So essentially the abundance of 100% block shields?

Edit: Maybe it's the whole "there is no way to control the fight except hitting the boss when it's not hitting you" that makes them sort of dull.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Super tip for people who are looking at fighting Vendrick on NG+, or hell, NG I guess if you don't mind being spoiled - going straight from Velstadt to Vendrick without resting at a bonfire nullifies his extra defenses so you don't have to get the Giant Souls.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DSauer posted:

Artorias was one of the best 1v1 fights I have ever had in this series.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Dark Spirits fight other Dark Spirits and also Grey Spirits, right?

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is devolving into a meaningless internet slapfight. I could just as easily say that the Last Giant conveys emotion and menace and that the Asylum Demon fruitlessly bounces up and down on its rear end as the player swings away at it.

It's also just a rehash of Vanguard from Demon's Souls. Except Vanguard was actually supposed to kill you and send you out of the intro feeling like a miserable failure who's not ready for the game. Asylum Demon is just the plunge attack tutorial.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Him ripping his arm off to hit you with it fails to be relevant when he can't hit you.

Asylum Demon can't hit you either, man. Again, you can get him bouncing up and down on his rear end like a moron just by pacing forwards and backwards in front of him.

Night Blade posted:

Mechanically, Asylum Demon is a better fight.

So you keep saying, but you still haven't gotten around to specifying how, other than that he punishes players who hesitate at the fog door. And you get a goody for spending thirty minutes wailing away at him with your fists or a broken hilt. Truly, DS2 can't match that masterpiece of design.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Junkfist posted:

Dark Spirits fight other Dark Spirits and also Grey Spirits, right?

I got summoned on the IK bridge as a red and the other red attacked me. I think it's pretty standard that there's no honor amongst reds

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

Him ripping his arm off to hit you with it fails to be relevant when he can't hit you. Mechanically, Asylum Demon is a better fight. You're even rewarded with a unique weapon if you can kill him before the second encounter. Do you want to keep doing this?

Him being easy is part of his story since it shows how far he's fallen. It shows what a desperate and pathetic creature he's been reduced to, his mind clouded by rage to the point where he will tear apart his own body in a futile attempt to crush you. He's a tutorial boss that actually has a reason to be weak. His fight is still memorable because its very dramatic and becomes relevant near the very end of the game when you find out who he once was.

Also Asylum Demon is piss easy and can't hit poo poo either. The difference is he's purely tutorial and has no plot relevance whatsoever. He has no reason to be easy other than gameplay. Who cares about some gimmick weapon you get if you're willing to poke him with a broken sword for 10 minutes?

VVV Its the Desert Sorceress skirt. Its a random drop from the Sorceress enemies in Earthen Peak. You can't miss them, but since it is a random drop you have to grind to get it. I tried to get it on one of my characters but they never dropped it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 11, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Internet Kraken posted:

So many goon characters wear that skirt.

Little while back, but where is that skirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Foxhound posted:

My best bet is that the series is just aging and the devs have a hard time coming up with new and imaginative encounters that aren't completely out of left field like the chariot.

I think that's my feel for it too. Add in the fact that they included so many bosses in this one, and you can easily get a seen it all before feeling.
Though if they could just ditch the idea of bosses like Prowling Magus and Congregation, that would be great.