Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Is anyone else having issues where FF29 gets oddly slow and stuttery for no reason? Not just any one site, the entire browser - scrolling is stuttery, new tabs lag when they open, and so forth. This has been happening to me for the last few days. I disabled a bunch of addons and it seemed to go away but now it's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Pikestaff posted:

Is anyone else having issues where FF29 gets oddly slow and stuttery for no reason? Not just any one site, the entire browser - scrolling is stuttery, new tabs lag when they open, and so forth. This has been happening to me for the last few days. I disabled a bunch of addons and it seemed to go away but now it's back.

Are you paging? Does the rest of the system get slow also? Resource Monitor on Windows, vmstat on *nix.

Theaty
Feb 26, 2014

Bad at Everything

Pikestaff posted:

If I were you I would try uninstalling the addons and not just disabling them, perhaps remove all browser data and see if the problem got resolved then?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Pikestaff posted:

I have been seeing stuttering when loading several pages at the same time. Interestingly, resource usage doesn't spike (just increases a bit as expected) when it happens, so I'd guess it's some sort of concurrency issue. It hasn't been bad enough to really bother me yet, though.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 8, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Panda Time posted:

FF 29 loads random links on pages without even clicking on them.. is there a way to disable this?

In about :config try toggling network.seer.enabled to false.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
nvm

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 9, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Superb Owls posted:

So you'll basically just get the same lovely comments as Youtube, just more verbose and coherent, right?

Anyway, I have a very minor problem with my Firefox installation (Version 29 Stable, if anyone asks) which is that the dollar sign (AKA $) is completely more bold than usual for some reason. Is there any way to fix it?
What platform are you on? Firefox should just be using the fonts installed on your system, if you set your word processor to use the same font at the same size is it bolder there too?

You can check Firefox's fonts in Options > Content > Fonts and Colors > Advanced

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012

Knormal posted:

What platform are you on? Firefox should just be using the fonts installed on your system, if you set your word processor to use the same font at the same size is it bolder there too?

You can check Firefox's fonts in Options > Content > Fonts and Colors > Advanced

I'm on Windows 7 and no, the dollar sign isn't bold on my word processor.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I have been using Lavafox/Blackfox themes since forever but 29 broke them, when I set tabs to go on the bottom they appear too low and get partially obscured by the browser window and bookmarks tab (shown below). I would appreciate a way to correct this or suggestions for similar themes that are up to date.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just updated to 29 on my Macbook and I'm using CTR to put tabs back on bottom but the text in the tabs looks slightly wrong (dunno if it's font issue or what.) Anyone else have this and know how to fix it?

Edit: bolding it fixed it but the tab colors still seem off and I don't know why, so v0v

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 11, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
When I last used Firefox it had memory leak issues. I've just switched to it on my Mac and I was wondering if it still had the issue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord Windy posted:

When I last used Firefox it had memory leak issues. I've just switched to it on my Mac and I was wondering if it still had the issue.

It was your imagination.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lord Windy posted:

Firefox has had the lowest memory usage out of all browsers when multiple tabs are open for at least the last dozen versions or so, so definitely yes. Keep in mind that the add-ons you use impact your memory usage so if you're installing a bunch of extensions it isn't reasonable to expect the browser to use as little memory as it did out of the box.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And the primary way that bad (and even good) add-ons used to leak memory hasn't been possible in Firefox for a while now.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm using CTR, noun button and have had status-4-eva for ... eva. Anyhow, the back button is sticky, as in you can't just click once to go back to the previous page. Instead, a single left-click causes it to pop open the right-click menu. This is annoying and counterintuitive.

Has anyone been able to replicate the proper behaviour? That is, single left-click for just go back a page and right-click/click-hold for the menu.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...
Has anyone else been having trouble with HTTPS Everywhere repeatedly causing crashes? Disabling the extension completely stops the crashes. I don't think it's a specific website because I can usually just re-open Firefox and navigate back to where I was. I tried installing the developer version and it's not fixed. Is there another good extension that will do the same thing?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Arob1000 posted:

Has anyone else been having trouble with HTTPS Everywhere repeatedly causing crashes? Disabling the extension completely stops the crashes. I don't think it's a specific website because I can usually just re-open Firefox and navigate back to where I was. I tried installing the developer version and it's not fixed. Is there another good extension that will do the same thing?
Looks like FF bug 999434 (also on HTTPS-E as 11700).
I've been seeing the same thing, though I didn't figure out what was causing it. Guess I'm disabling HTTPS-E for now.
Unrelated, but ran into this!!!!!!!!!!!! when looking for those bugs: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1906

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I have a strange and non-technical request of the firefox thread. I'm getting kind of bored of my current default theme and was looking to change my theme to something DOS styled. Searching the add-on section didn't give me anything I liked. What I'm looking for in colors is something close to the the Norton Commander color scheme: . I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Looks like FF bug 999434

GC crashes are such a bitch to track down. :smith:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Arob1000 posted:

I got those crashes every day (in ff28 and ff29) and the developer version definitely fixed it for me. Not a single crash in a week.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nick Nethercote has a great post about the memory impact of AdBlock on Firefox memory usage.

quote:

I load TechCrunch [...], without ABP, Firefox uses about 194 MiB of physical memory. With ABP, that number more than doubles, to 417 MiB

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

AdBlock Plus could use 4 gigs of RAM all by itself, and it would still be worth it. I would buy more RAM and install it before turning ABP off.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

xamphear posted:

AdBlock Plus could use 4 gigs of RAM all by itself, and it would still be worth it. I would buy more RAM and install it before turning ABP off.
I can't wait until all websites have to be behind a paywall :allears:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mmm, I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning.

I'd love an ad 'industry' that I could trust to wipe its own rear end before spreading its cheeks against my browser window, but that's about as likely as everything being paywalled. Not that any of this is relevant to the thread at hand.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

td4guy posted:

I got those crashes every day (in ff28 and ff29) and the developer version definitely fixed it for me. Not a single crash in a week.
I still crash often enough to the point I want to install this and see if it matters. Just crashed twice when I was typing. gently caress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Merkinman posted:

One of the biggest problems is that a lot of ads are outright vectors for malware, not just someone trying to sell you a product.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

This, but not ironically. I think it's great to discover the things you like and then pay to use them. We all paid to get in here, so it's not like any of us are complete strangers to the concept.

Also, ads aren't just ads anymore. The most benign ones are "just" invading your privacy, the really bad ones are malware.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A few years ago a friend of mine was showing me an article on some website I read, on their own machine. I nearly had a heart attack/seizure when looking at the page. All this flashing poo poo everywhere, I thought he'd got a nasty adware infection.

Turns out he was just using IE and didn't have anything blocking ads.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:lol: if you think ad companies make their money from actually getting people to buy the product or service featured on their web ads.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

pipes! posted:

:lol: if you think ad companies make their money from actually getting people to buy the product or service featured on their web ads.

It was the sheer volume of screen space taken up by shite that astounded me, since I'd been using Firefox with Adblock for years and only saw occasional ads.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

To add to this, a guy from the Chrome dev team posted some useful stuff on reddit:

quote:

Chrome Dev here. We see this (and much more) with chrome as well.

Adblock, noscript, ghostery, and other addons like them cause 90% of the issues we see in the forums.

At the very least, by running any of these you are:

1. Increasing memory usage anywhere from 10% to 30%
2. increasing overall cpu usage across all cores
3. increasing overall load time of the page by about 15% to 50%
4. completely screwing many of the optimizations that have gone into the browser, effectively making the multi-threaded nature of the browser fight itself.

This is because these programs need to interrupt any and all http calls to check them against a big list of "no-no" domains held in memory. If it matches, they remove the element from the dom so it doesn't load and let the browser continue.

This has the effect of making every single thread sync up each time the dom is updated, so these extensions can scan the new elements to ensure they aren't loading ads/scripts. Fancy stuff like threaded compositing, network predictors and prefetchers, and batched layout rendering are all abandoned when any one of these is in play.

I agree with the other guys - I don't give a poo poo how much memory ABP needs; it's worth it. The slowdown in render speed is sometimes annoying, but it's not enough to make me want to ditch ABP.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Mozilla is going to pay Adobe to be able to plop a DRM module in Firefox in order to conform to the W3C's Encrypted Media Extensions standard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are they paying? I didn't hear that part.

It breaks my heart (I was literally choked up :smith:), but I don't know that they had a choice that turned out better for the web. I think open video on the web lost, at least for the next 5 years, when Google reneged on its promise to drop H.264. Maybe Daala saves us on the codec side.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 15, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
IF you really believed no one was going to use DRM in online video in the future, I don't know what to say.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pipes! posted:

Well, Google certainly doesn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Install Windows posted:

IF you really believed no one was going to use DRM in online video in the future, I don't know what to say.

No, I knew people were going to use it. I'd hoped it would stay beside the web, like Silverlight, rather than become part of it, like <canvas>.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

No, I knew people were going to use it. I'd hoped it would stay beside the web, like Silverlight, rather than become part of it, like <canvas>.

Yeah, that's just not really thinking there. It would be impossible to actually get widespread use of video tag without supporting DRM in some way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Every piece of video served on the web to an iPhone or iPad is non-DRM html5 video. I think it had legs, and I spent a lot lot of time talking to a lot of parties about it, but it needed more than Mozilla to care about it, and Google+Microsoft were swayed by unrealistic content owners.

Music publishers got over DRM, pretty much, but it'll take longer for the same factors to tip video producers over. Still, DRM is sort of a bet against someone caring enough. Maybe Cory Doctorow will unravel it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fangs404 posted:

To add to this, a guy from the Chrome dev team posted some useful stuff on reddit:

quote:

Adblock, noscript, ghostery, and other addons like them cause 90% of the issues we see in the forums.
This is an availability heuristic. It's not that these addons are more problematic, per se, it's just that are hugely popular. So, of course they are going to turn up most often when people post issues in a forum. It doesn't mean that they are inherently worse for your browsing experience than smaller ones, in fact they might even be marginally better given their larger install base and programming effort.

Also, this is going to sound hyperbolic today, but it actually dovetails nicely with these last two topics: How long until not just video but html, javascript, and images are also able to be DRM'd in a web browser? Not only will that handle copyright stuff, but if the content is securely encrypted by your web browser right up until the moment the pixels hit your monitor, you won't be able to block any ads from it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Every piece of video served on the web to an iPhone or iPad is non-DRM html5 video. I think it had legs, and I spent a lot lot of time talking to a lot of parties about it, but it needed more than Mozilla to care about it, and Google+Microsoft were swayed by unrealistic content owners.

Music publishers got over DRM, pretty much, but it'll take longer for the same factors to tip video producers over. Still, DRM is sort of a bet against someone caring enough. Maybe Cory Doctorow will unravel it.

Aaand consequently a lot of sites did not make any video available to iOS users. Google and Microsoft are major content owners in their own right by the way, why wouldn't they listen to themselves?

Music publishers also never stopped publishing DRM-free format music (CDs) which everyone could freely copy. Video is definitely not like that, hell most commercial videotape releases had an copy protection function built in starting in the late 80s.