Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

My current ruler has a strong claim on the kingdom of Egypt.

Yet, when I try to declare war on then, it says I have no CB. Is this a bug are there is something Im not understanding here? They are miaphysite and Im orthodox, if that makes any difference.

Is your ruler a woman or child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BioMe posted:

Absolute cognatic let's you hand out landed titles to women too, which is sometimes useful.

I don't think that's the case, unless that ability's been patched in since my last Navarra game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

Is your ruler a woman or child?

She is a woman (but Im absolute-cognatic).

DStecks posted:

I don't think that's the case, unless that ability's been patched in since my last Navarra game.

Actually it does, I definitely can give any titles to women.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DStecks posted:

It's actually been that way since release. You need to be at least Absolute Cognatic to directly give a landed title to a woman, and this is not documented anywhere for some bizarre reason.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Europa Universalis goon group is doing a weekly ck2 game on fridays at 3pm est, starts in an hour. If anyone wants to join add Last Emperor or Sammut on steam or if you're already in the eu goon group join the steam chat around the starting time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

She is a woman (but Im absolute-cognatic).

Actually it does, I definitely can give any titles to women.

But only the target's crown laws matter. If the Kingdom of Egypt is still in Muslim hands who have agnatic succession (only males can inherit) then I don't think you can press her claim on the kingdom, ever.

But even if that does not disqualify her from pressing her claim, a woman can only press her claim against a female ruler or a male minor in regency, unless the target is absolute cognatic.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

But only the target's crown laws matter. If the Kingdom of Egypt is still in Muslim hands who have agnatic succession (only males can inherit) then I don't think you can press her claim on the kingdom, ever.

But even if that does not disqualify her from pressing her claim, a woman can only press her claim against a female ruler or a male minor in regency, unless the target is absolute cognatic.

Egypt is miaphysite in my game, but yeah, that's the reason then (they are probably agnatic too). Thanks.

EDIT: its amazing that Ive been playing this game for countless hundreds of hours and there are still mechanics I dont understand

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 10, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Torrannor posted:

This isn't quite correct. If the ruler is a woman, she can press a strong claim against anyone regardless of their crown laws. If you as a ruler are pressing another woman's strong claim, the target title has to not be Agnatic.

For weak claims, women can only press them against regencies (of either gender) or titles for which they are second or third in line, regardless of crown laws. The "weak claims always valid against a female ruler" rule is only applicable to weak claims held by men.

Long story short I have no idea why your CB isn't showing up, Elias. Are you running a mod?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 10, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

This isn't quite correct. If the ruler is a woman, she can press a strong claim against anyone regardless of their crown laws. If you as a ruler are pressing another woman's strong claim, the target title has to not be Agnatic.

For weak claims, women can only press them against regencies (of either gender) or titles for which they are second or third in line, regardless of crown laws. The "weak claims always valid against a female ruler" rule is only applicable to weak claims held by men.

Long story short I have no idea why your CB isn't showing up, Elias. Are you running a mod?

No truce, but I am running a mod: Ive modded the orthodox faith to allow absolute-cognatic and woman in council positions. And it is a strong claim that I have (her father was a egyptian prince).

EDIT: also, Im an empress, if that makes any difference.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 10, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

No truce, but I am running a mod: Ive modded the orthodox faith to allow absolute-cognatic and woman in council positions. And it is a strong claim that I have (her father was a egyptian prince).

EDIT: also, Im an empress, if that makes any difference.

Doesn't sound like you've modded anything that should affect the CBs, though. Are there any other claims you hold/CBs you have that won't show up, or just that one?

I assume you're declaring war on the right target and someone unexpected isn't holding the Egypt title, so I guess you have some sort of weird bug: is there any way I could see a screenshot of that diplomacy screen or get a copy of your save?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

Doesn't sound like you've modded anything that should affect the CBs, though. Are there any other claims you hold/CBs you have that won't show up, or just that one?

I assume you're declaring war on the right target and someone unexpected isn't holding the Egypt title, so I guess you have some sort of weird bug: is there any way I could see a screenshot of that diplomacy screen or get a copy of your save?

I was just being stupid, actually. I went to take the screenshots and found that my clain is a weak one, I dont know why I though it was a strong.

So everything is right, I guess: according to your explanation, she cant press this weak clain (Egypt ruler is male, no regency, and my ruler aint second or third in line for it).

Thank you for clarifying it to me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was just being stupid, actually. I went to take the screenshots and found that my clain is a weak one, I dont know why I though it was a strong.

So everything is right, I guess: according to your explanation, she cant press this weak clain (Egypt ruler is male, no regency, and my ruler aint second or third in line for it).

Thank you for clarifying it to me.

I think you know what you need to do now :ese:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Playing as jewish Axum in the 1066 start - Beat the poo poo out of the Miaphysites down there but even at 45% authority I can't really convert for poo poo.

The Fatimids are turning into a huge blob that stretches from Oman to West Africa. I... I don't think this game will continue for long. :saddowns:

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Despite all the complaining I've done in this thread, I still really enjoy being barely mediocre at this game and there is a ton of stuff to do that this might be the best value I've ever gotten out of buying something off Steam. Now I'm kinda getting an appetite for more of these grand strategy games.

Given, then, that my questions have pretty much been "how do I war?" and "why am I so bad?", how does CK2 compare difficulty-wise to Europa Universalis IV? I like the idea of playing a game spanning nearly 1000 years but I've heard that if CK2 is a steep learning curve then EUIV is a ninety degree angle. Is it something that, after getting familiar with CK2, you could eventually shift over and learn?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dallan Invictus posted:

You need to be at least Absolute Cognatic to directly give a landed title to a woman, and this is not documented anywhere for some bizarre reason.

Depends on religion. Norse can hand out temples to women, for example.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Techno Remix posted:

Despite all the complaining I've done in this thread, I still really enjoy being barely mediocre at this game and there is a ton of stuff to do that this might be the best value I've ever gotten out of buying something off Steam. Now I'm kinda getting an appetite for more of these grand strategy games.

Given, then, that my questions have pretty much been "how do I war?" and "why am I so bad?", how does CK2 compare difficulty-wise to Europa Universalis IV? I like the idea of playing a game spanning nearly 1000 years but I've heard that if CK2 is a steep learning curve then EUIV is a ninety degree angle. Is it something that, after getting familiar with CK2, you could eventually shift over and learn?

I think EU is actually easier than CK2 for the most part. Just don't even bother trying to play a small country and claw your way up to power because it's never going to work.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Who's the best Karling start if I want to try to recapture all Karling lands as quickly as possible?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Who's the best Karling start if I want to try to recapture all Karling lands as quickly as possible?

West Francia. You start out with a claim on all the other Karlings. Take what you can, make sure you go to war at least once for each title so that your son inherits your claims.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

User posted:

I think EU is actually easier than CK2 for the most part. Just don't even bother trying to play a small country and claw your way up to power because it's never going to work.

It's a lot easier now since declaring war on a random country doesn't literally start WW1 every time now.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a good reference for how to play the Norse? I've only ever played the traditional European cultures and I feel a bit lost.

First, see if anyone around you is willing to vassalize. I believe Swidjod can vassalize a few people at the start for example. Then raise all your levies and boats, toggle your army to raid and go visit islands in the mediterranean (majorca is pretty good at the start since their overlord doesn't bother raising ships to get at you). Eventually you can just keep visiting rome. It's fine to just take what you can at first and then bugger off to a new province but you get a lot more money sieging down holdings, which also gets norse moral authority if they're churches. Basically eventually Rome and Venice become your cash cows.

It's well worth getting a couple of thousand gold through this before doing much else. Start sniping some good provinces using the coastal conquest CBs and never stop gathering bits of land.

I never worried too much about Gavelkind and was quite happy just to keep Uppland but you want to form at least one kingdom quickly so poo poo doesn't leave your realm. I got lucky in that I had relatively weak, infighting Karlings so I got Scandinavia pretty quickly and sniped Braunshweig and Zealand pretty quick to reform in the 900s at which point I switched to elective.

I've actually had fun forming as many kingdoms as possible though that can turn out to be a pain. Basically as Norse just go with the flow. Gavelkind really isn't that bad at first. The only real trouble I had early on was another person in my dynasty inheriting the Kingdom of Sweden before I could switch it to elective and so hating my guts for holding Uppland and any holder of Sweden will kinda hate you for that. Kept me on my toes though and was mostly solved by regular stabbings.

Anyway, raid a shitload: It gets you so much money it's not even funny.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Techno Remix posted:

If you like CK2 then I'd suggest trying out EU4 when it's on sale, yeah. It's quite a different game, though, despite sharing the "grand strategy" genre and even the same engine. CK2 is character-centric and all about the emergent storytelling or roleplaying elements, really. EU4 you play as a nation-state and it's much more like a Civ game or something than CK2. They both have pretty steep learning curves, but I think you'll find they scratch slightly different gaming itches.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Why would the Pope himself come to the front lines of a Holy War?
I'm not complaining, capturing him pretty much made me insta-win the war, but it still strikes me as a particularly thoughtless move. He has 1 Martial, and is Slothful and Temperate, so it's not like he's Zealous or anything.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's pretty scary being Sicily and suddenly having Byzantines declare war one you, but then you remember the Byzantine Empire can't do anything without dissolving into some huge civil and then the Muslims decide joining in, and... Yeah, I thought you might want to call it a draw this time, Basileus.

EDIT: Also, are revolts programmed to start more easily when your armies are away? I amassed all my troops into a glorious fleet that was ready to sail to save my brothers of faith across the ocean... And an U-turn at the port, some rear end in a top hat peasant is burning the city down, goddammit.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 10, 2014

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, HIP is neat, but is there any way to remove the changes it makes to people's faces? Most I've seen are unchanged, Vandad and others in the east look far worse (besides Vandad's nose and mouth having migrated away from each other, Ya'qub Saffar's mouth is off-center), and anyone who's been blinded has a weird black thing covering the upper half of their faces. It's really annoying.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I tried using Portrait Realignment Pack with it and it crashed the game. :(

The game knows.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

How did you get the Sunset Invasion decision?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've got High Crown Authority but vassals within my empire are still fighting with each other. I don't mind too much, but they shouldn't be allowed to fight each other from Medium Crown Authority on up, right? Is this a bug?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bold Robot posted:

I've got High Crown Authority but vassals within my empire are still fighting with each other. I don't mind too much, but they shouldn't be allowed to fight each other from Medium Crown Authority on up, right? Is this a bug?

Your crown laws only apply to the specific kingdom you're in. Vassals in other kingdoms will follow those crown laws.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cantorsdust posted:

Your crown laws only apply to the specific kingdom you're in. Vassals in other kingdoms will follow those crown laws.

Ah, that makes sense. The vassals duking it out are in a Kingdom-less section of my Empire. Thanks.

I wish there was a diplomatic option along the lines of the "Enforce Peace" option from EU4.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Also medium CA doesn't disallow all wars, it just stops them from declaring wars via regular CBs. Rebelling against a liege trying to revoke a title/imprison a vassal is still allowed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Plot/faction wars are also allowed as well, I believe. Crown Authority only blocks regular CB-dependent wars declared via the regular Diplomacy screen. Refusing a faction/liege's demands still triggers war, even at Absolute CA.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Ok, so someone a few pages back said to edit Defines.lua in noepad++ to get rid of the age costs in Ruler Designer.

Well, I got notepad++ and went to do just that, but I can't actually edit anything. How does this drat thing work?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bold Robot posted:

Ah, that makes sense. The vassals duking it out are in a Kingdom-less section of my Empire. Thanks.
Areas without a formed kingdom should obey the crown laws of your primary title. But as Main Painframe says, this isn't a guaranteed war prevention.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If all you want is to get the lands united ASAP without any other consideration, then in the past I've had success with playing terribly. Doesn't matter who you choose to start as. Just don't produce heirs and try to kill the other Karlings, especially with diplomatic assassinations, even with low success chances. Terrorize your vassals with banishment cheesing if you need to. Then you die and jump over to the next Karling realm in line. Hopefully your combination of quick murder and quick deaths will consolidate all Karling lands, along with a few extra holdings, in one person's hands within a couple of years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Main Paineframe posted:

Plot/faction wars are also allowed as well, I believe. Crown Authority only blocks regular CB-dependent wars declared via the regular Diplomacy screen. Refusing a faction/liege's demands still triggers war, even at Absolute CA.

I found this section in the CK2 wiki highly interesting, because it is completely new to me:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crown_laws

quote:

HIGH CROWN AUTHORITY

Upon passing High Crown Authority titles can no longer be inherited by anyone outside the realm, so you will no longer lose parts of your realm due to inheritance. Foreign nobles will no longer be able to snag your lands from right under your nose, and inheritance gets more predictable.
Plots of sub-vassals against their lieges are disabled at this Crown Authority Level, as are plots of dukes to weaken each other. This further reduces the amount of fighting between vassals. The only remaining possible intra-vassal wars are counts attacking their lieges directly, without using a plot.
Enables the possibility to change succession law to primogeniture.

I did not now that high CA disables plot wars.

Dec 30, 2008
:taco::taco::taco::taco::taco:

:taco::taco::taco::taco::taco:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Convert to EU, play as Ming.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Convert to EU, play as Ming.
Wouldn't Aztecs eat your loving lunch since they'd be in the high american tech group and have no penalties?
India being Aztec throws the Minghal strategy out the window too?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hambilderberglar posted:

Wouldn't Aztecs eat your loving lunch since they'd be in the high american tech group and have no penalties?
India being Aztec throws the Minghal strategy out the window too?

Last I heard the converter isn't upgraded for RoI yet, so it's not a problem.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Doesn't it work in the current beta patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

It works, it's just a bit buggy. Also there's no religion icon for Jainism, which was a pain when the Mongols became jain and converted everything up to Poland.

• Locked thread