Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

I know, I hate how hard it is to find a spot in a carpark at McDonalds here in Aus, because all the minimum wage staff fill it with new and late model M5's :rolleyes:

In the real world, it's usually professionals who are not on minimum wage who buy BMW's, so how about making an accurate comparison? It takes 2.9x an Australian engineers average yearly wage to buy an M5, and 1.3x a US engineers average yearly wage. That's 1.2x an Australian GP's average annual wage and 0.6x a US GP's average annual wage.

That's a ~220% increase in effective price for likely Australian buyers there champ.

And yes, tax is about 30% of that price. So a tax free M5 would be a mere 2.0x average annual wage for an engineer in Aus. Is there anywhere in the US can you buy a car with absolutely no sales tax?

Wages are often a factor of the minimum wage. I used minimum wage as an example because it's really the only 100% factual number. The average wage in the US is $46,440, the average wage in australia is $73,086. In that range, you can get a BMW 335i for $2000 less than the US age, or a 328i for $4000 less the australian wage. Not the massive gap you constantly bitch about. The average wage in canada is 48,250/year, and the 335i starts at $54,000. Despite the fact that canada is geographically closer to germany than the US is, and isn't some backwards little island in the south pacific.

Despite our minimum wage and average yearly being closer to the americans, we also pay around the same per liter of fuel compared to Australia, and yet we soldier on. We don't start whinging every time the issue of price comes up, we don't get emotional and start throwing around words like "champ", We don't cherry pick price outliers that would never be in our budget regardless to gain sympathy.

Also, judging by the number of used F10 m5s available, it would seem there are roughly the same number sold per capita between australia and the US, suggesting the money to buy them is there just the same. With the commodore and falcon offering such similar performance for $40-50 grand, that kind of suggests it's easier to make the $190,000 it costs to buy an M5 in australia than it is to make the $95,000 it costs in the US.

edit: also, interesting fact i learned in my research, the AVERAGE hourly wage in the US retail industry, that's trainee to management, the average of all of them is lower than australia's minimum wage.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Car is a 1995 530i, automatic. It started making this noise on my way home. Fluid in the transmission is fine, maybe even a tad high.

http://youtu.be/VAYlIp9NxPk

Any clue? I don't have a loud exhaust or anything. It's all stock. Sorry about the video, it was posted directly from the phone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Car is a 1995 530i, automatic. It started making this noise on my way home. Fluid in the transmission is fine, maybe even a tad high.

http://youtu.be/VAYlIp9NxPk

Any clue? I don't have a loud exhaust or anything. It's all stock. Sorry about the video, it was posted directly from the phone.

If it's tied to speed rather than RPM, it's probably the driveshaft guibo or center bearing.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

Wages are often a factor of the minimum wage. I used minimum wage as an example because it's really the only 100% factual number. The average wage in the US is $46,440, the average wage in australia is $73,086. In that range, you can get a BMW 335i for $2000 less than the US age, or a 328i for $4000 less the australian wage. Not the massive gap you constantly bitch about. The average wage in canada is 48,250/year, and the 335i starts at $54,000. Despite the fact that canada is geographically closer to germany than the US is, and isn't some backwards little island in the south pacific.

Despite our minimum wage and average yearly being closer to the americans, we also pay around the same per liter of fuel compared to Australia, and yet we soldier on. We don't start whinging every time the issue of price comes up, we don't get emotional and start throwing around words like "champ", We don't cherry pick price outliers that would never be in our budget regardless to gain sympathy.

Also, judging by the number of used F10 m5s available, it would seem there are roughly the same number sold per capita between australia and the US, suggesting the money to buy them is there just the same. With the commodore and falcon offering such similar performance for $40-50 grand, that kind of suggests it's easier to make the $190,000 it costs to buy an M5 in australia than it is to make the $95,000 it costs in the US.

edit: also, interesting fact i learned in my research, the AVERAGE hourly wage in the US retail industry, that's trainee to management, the average of all of them is lower than australia's minimum wage.

When I interviewed in Australia a few years ago they offered AUD $170K, and it seemed like a lot, until I realized that an M3 cost about AUD $140K there.

What's that old adage about not paying more than half your gross for a car or something like that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Das Volk posted:

When I interviewed in Australia a few years ago they offered AUD $170K, and it seemed like a lot, until I realized that an M3 cost about AUD $140K there.

What's that old adage about not paying more than half your gross for a car or something like that?

But that $140,000 could also buy a I6/6-speed Falcon ute, a V8 commodore wagon, AND an M235i coupe.

All three of them. on the road, with a years worth of third party liability insurance.

It's REALLY hard to feel bad for australia.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Postal posted:

Is there anywhere in the US can you buy a car with absolutely no sales tax?

Oregon, shhhhh.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
New Hampshire doesn't have a sales tax either. Anyone who bitches about living in Australia, I'll trade places with you right this instant. You can come live in this conservative hell hole and make less than your minimum wage to do aerospace QA

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

If you're saying that BMW prices in Aus are high because of wages, why aren't computers/phones/food/clothes/staples all 200% more?

Das Volk posted:

This hints at the real explanation. BMW (along with other discretionary retailers) charge a huge mark-up here. AU$170K is a lot of money for living on, and excluding real estate (which is in short supply due to infrastructure spending), BMW is one of the few outliers that makes AU$170K not seem like that much. The fact is that that AU$170K will buy you a hell of a lot of everything, except discretionaries like BMW's

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Postal posted:

Is there anywhere in the US can you buy a car with absolutely no sales tax?

New Hampshire, Oregon, Delaware, Montana and Alaska.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Das Volk posted:

I know that Dave Ramsey teaches that 'things with engines' shouldn't be worth more than 50% of your annual income. Not sure if my ratio between our cars being about 12-14% of my income means I'm doing right, or doing it wrong...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Fack.

My A/C belt decided to just up and leave off my E36. No idea when. And getting another one on there looks like a pain in the rear.

I hope removing the fan/clutch will give me enough room. Doesn't look like it though.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

I raced and barely lost to a modified 335i. Some of you plebs are quick. I guess i can take solace in knowing i was more comfortable the whole time.

It varies wildly car to car. My 540 is rated at 19mpg highway, while i get about 28mpg highway, and that's at 80mph.

yeah you are bad at bmw driving, the correct answer to who won the race was "I stopped paying attention to a poor person bmw because I was too busy enjoying the superb interior comfort of my 7 series"

also you should get rid of your second-to-most-poor poor-person bmw and get a 7 series

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm starting to fall in love with this retarded 318is. It's fun to drive, looks good, and gets really good gas mileage for the kind of driving I'm doing. poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How do you deal with the shame of being poor? I've tinted the windows of my 135 to nearly black and I wear a ski mask whenever I get out and walk into or out of my apartment. I don't want anyone to know I drive a poormobile.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nait Sirhc posted:

yeah you are bad at bmw driving, the correct answer to who won the race was "I stopped paying attention to a poor person bmw because I was too busy enjoying the superb interior comfort of my 7 series"

also you should get rid of your second-to-most-poor poor-person bmw and get a 7 series

Or a Lexus or Mercedes which do the comfortable, high quality interior thing much better than any BMW

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm starting to fall in love with this retarded 318is. It's fun to drive, looks good, and gets really good gas mileage for the kind of driving I'm doing. poo poo.

Beaters are the best cars.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Since I live in autobahn country, and almost in Bavaria for 6 months now, I decided to retire my shitbox '97 Starlet and get a 2011 F11 520d. Picking it up next saturday. I never owned a BMW, or a car of this class before, so I'm somewhat excited/scared. The closest was a Mondeo, so go figure. Anyhow, I like my computers and the one I'm getting comes with the small nav screen. Is upgrading to a larger one something that's done/frowned upon/too expensive/pointless, etc?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 10, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

Fack.

My A/C belt decided to just up and leave off my E36. No idea when. And getting another one on there looks like a pain in the rear.

I hope removing the fan/clutch will give me enough room. Doesn't look like it though.

Removing the fan gives you plenty of room. I've done it without removing anything and routing the belt around the fanblades, but that isn't worth it. Just get a 32mm wrench and save the trouble.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cojawfee posted:

How do you deal with the shame of being poor? I've tinted the windows of my 135 to nearly black and I wear a ski mask whenever I get out and walk into or out of my apartment. I don't want anyone to know I drive a poormobile.

Man, the new title is really cutting some people deep.

dissss posted:

Or a Lexus or Mercedes which do the comfortable, high quality interior thing much better than any BMW

I just sat in a co-workers new GS350 and was amazed at just how much better it felt inside than the new 5-series.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Powershift posted:

If it's tied to speed rather than RPM, it's probably the driveshaft guibo or center bearing.

It sure is. I'll look into the guibo.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Residency Evil posted:

I just sat in a co-workers new GS350 and was amazed at just how much better it felt inside than the new 5-series.

So Lexus finally got rid of those awful faux-whatever plastics and rounded 90s gumdrop buttons? I haven't been in a recent one but Lexus interiors have been really dated and Toyota-y inside well into the 2000s.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Ain't no thing. I simply understand my MPOOR to communicate, THAT'S MISTER POOR TO YOU.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Das Volk posted:

So Lexus finally got rid of those awful faux-whatever plastics and rounded 90s gumdrop buttons? I haven't been in a recent one but Lexus interiors have been really dated and Toyota-y inside well into the 2000s.

Seems like it, and looks like the reviewers agree too. I just took a look and most reviewers not only impressed by how good the interior is but how well it compares to the 5-series in terms of power, handling, and overall dynamics. It's won quite a few comparison tests.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Das Volk posted:

I liked that about my LS, though. It was obviously a Toyota, but a really, really nice Toyota.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I beat mine like it owes me money!

Plus, it's on a 'fluids only' diet meaning I DGAF if I end up torturing the engine to death because it will get some sort of swap once that happens!

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

dissss posted:

wow look at how wrong you are

the problem with lexus is that you can't go anywhere without pussy shrapnel just falling all over your car and scratching up the lovely paint job, what a pleb problem

IRL:
Topped up the power steering with Pentosin CHF11S, and now the Dynamic Drive message doesn't come on anymore when flying around corners. This car does a pretty good job at preventing body roll. It'd be cool if I could get a GT1 VM and do the Dynamic Drive self-test that those guys do in that video, though.

I'm considering upgrading some of the audio in this car; it's got what appears to be subwoofers underneath the front seats. Some guy on bimmerforums makes a harness that allows for upgrading of the stock amplifier to a higher-powered amplifier, and then I'd imagine you just upgrade the individual components as well. Not really interested in spending any money on this car though.

Beater7 continues to deliver.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nait Sirhc posted:

wow look at how wrong you are

the problem with lexus is that you can't go anywhere without pussy shrapnel just falling all over your car and scratching up the lovely paint job, what a pleb problem

The Lexus GS has a dead pedal sort of thing for the accelerator pedal on the central tunnel.

In other words the people who drive them are so old they can't even hold their legs properly while they drive.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Das Volk posted:

It should be noted that, although dated looking, everything is as well fit together as the German competition, and none of the plastics/rubber/trim crack and rot after 5 years, something that cannot be said for BMW.

Powershift posted:

I raced and barely lost to a modified 335i. Some of you plebs are quick. I guess i can take solace in knowing i was more comfortable the whole time.

That just means you need to stop being so poor and get a real BMW like an M5 instead of your poverty-spec poormobile 540. Everyone knows the only BMWs worth owning have names beginning with M and any other models are just cheap crap pumped out for the pleb masses.

Nait Sirhc posted:

you can't go anywhere without pussy shrapnel just falling all over your car

What the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you don't know, you've obviously never experienced it. :pity:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

That just means you need to stop being so poor and get a real BMW like an M5 instead of your poverty-spec poormobile 540. Everyone knows the only BMWs worth owning have names beginning with M and any other models are just cheap crap pumped out for the pleb masses.

I've already ordered the badges off of ebay!

The pussy shrapnel thing comes from some guy here a while back bragging about his lovely toyota.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
My new to me 325I, Yes I'm poor, but I want to hide it as much as possible please accept me into your guy's club.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lexus interiors are great post 2012 or so.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 11, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

Lexus interiors are great post 2012 or so.

That superior M interior makes me feel poor. The contrast stitching on the wheel is hot.

drat you and your black threads, my steering wheel!

Edit: that lexus mouse pointer thing really sucks though.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I think the switchgear in the new cars and the layout looks great, especially the new steering wheels. I never liked the interior of the E9x all that much, but it's functional enough that I end up ignoring it anyway, and the stuff that does catch my eyes (gauges, wheel, gearshift) all does look nice at least in the M.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've decided my next car might be my first BMW. I wont be buying new because I'm a poors.

So if you had the choice between a 2010 3 Series, or a 2005 M3, what would you go for?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Do you mind an engine swap or rebuild in your future? If not, get the M3.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I've decided my next car might be my first BMW. I wont be buying new because I'm a poors.

So if you had the choice between a 2010 3 Series, or a 2005 M3, what would you go for?

How much do you want to spend on maintenance a year? Because that makes your decision real easy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Viper_3000 posted:

How much do you want to spend on maintenance a year? Because that makes your decision real easy.

Seriously. The M3 is coming up on 10 years old, and even the 2010 is likely getting to the point where some larger maintenance is coming up. Are you able to do the work yourself?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Used 2006 750LI's are going for cheap around here lately with around 60,000 miles on them. Bad idea to pick one up ? MB S450 and S550's seem to be around $10,000 more.

Is it all the little gizmos that go wrong or is it poo poo like head gaskets and transmissions going out ?

Also, gently caress searching for anything on popular bmw forums. What a bunch of gaylords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

Used 2006 750LI's are going for cheap around here lately with around 60,000 miles on them. Bad idea to pick one up ? MB S450 and S550's seem to be around $10,000 more.

Is it all the little gizmos that go wrong or is it poo poo like head gaskets and transmissions going out ?

Also, gently caress searching for anything on popular bmw forums. What a bunch of gaylords.

So far as I know the engine and transmission are very solid, electronics not so much. I think I replaced the nav system on my e66 every year, and there were still gremlins in the system when I got rid of it. Incredible car just expect iDrive to eat a lot of expensive parts. Not a single spot of oil on my garage floor in almost five years of ownership, and it never even needed to be topped off between oil changes.
I would assume that it had the GOD DAMNED COOLING SYSTEM but I never had any issues.

On another note, for a low mileage car with an n54 engine, when should the plastic cooling system stuff be replaced? I have an 08 with 45k miles and I don't know if I should go it soon or wait for 60k miles.