Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tae posted:

Compared to Kessen II, it's literally what happened.

I played Kessen II for a paper on representations of historical China in modern media(I think this thread recommended it). The look my professor, a published author on medieval China, gave me when I explained the first few levels was priceless. I think she gave up when I mentioned the Japanese shrine maidens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I played Kessen II for a paper on representations of historical China in modern media(I think this thread recommended it). The look my professor, a published author on medieval China, gave me when I explained the first few levels was priceless. I think she gave up when I mentioned the Japanese shrine maidens.

That is beautiful, you remember the grade you got on it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
DW8XLCE: In the Shu hypothetical Invasion of Luoyang mission, I keep getting stuck after defeating Jia Xu for the first time at the north end of the map. You're supposed to go southeast through the path that opens and then into the little pavilion where a cutscene plays. Unfortunately, there's a locked gate in the way that never opens. Looking at a video of someone else doing it, apparently you're supposed to defeat a generic squad leader to open the gate, but he never spawns for me. Has anyone gotten past this?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Sindai posted:

DW8XLCE: In the Shu hypothetical Invasion of Luoyang mission, I keep getting stuck after defeating Jia Xu for the first time at the north end of the map. You're supposed to go southeast through the path that opens and then into the little pavilion where a cutscene plays. Unfortunately, there's a locked gate in the way that never opens. Looking at a video of someone else doing it, apparently you're supposed to defeat a generic squad leader to open the gate, but he never spawns for me. Has anyone gotten past this?

I just ran through it on my Vita and the gates opened no problem. You beat the other named guy in the throne room, right? Xin Pu or something like that? Then went through the path that opens at the northeast corner of the throne room? You should end up approaching the pavilion from the north. Two small groups of generic dudes should appear right in front of the northern gate to the pavilion. Kill the unit commander and it should open.

Maybe the officer you choose has something to do with it? I just ran through with Jiang Wei, and I think I cleared it with Zhang Bao before with no issues. Did you/some other officer capture the armory prior to fighting Jia Xu? Knowing KT there might be some bug where killing/not killing a specific guy earlier in the stage would cause later groups of enemies not to spawn.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sindai posted:

I had the same problem. Guan Xing's AI is bugged and he frequently fails to make it to the armory. (I've noticed that the AI in general has a problem jumping off of the platform west of the central chamber.) In that case, you can't proceed with the stage. Your best bet is to play as Guan Xing; the other officers seem to behave dependably fine.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

TARDISman posted:

That is beautiful, you remember the grade you got on it?

It was a decent grade, but I didn't focus much on Kessen besides as an example of how to really gently caress up historically. My favorite part was how most of the weird Japanese poo poo that got shoved in wouldn't have been accurate if the game was set in Japan either. It hosed up Chinese AND Japanese history, in a game where Japan plays no role.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 10, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's the big deal about Warriors Orochi3 coming out in the west? wikipedia says it's been out in the EU and US since 2012?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

What's the big deal about Warriors Orochi3 coming out in the west? wikipedia says it's been out in the EU and US since 2012?

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is the definitive version, for PS3 and Vita, featuring a bunch of new content like more storylines and characters.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No point in buying Original Orochi 3 now then, what do you think are the chances of Orochi3 coming out on PC given DW8XLCE coming out this week on steam?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It was a decent grade, but I didn't focus much on Kessen besides as an example of how to really gently caress up historically. My favorite part was how most of the weird Japanese poo poo that got shoved in wouldn't have been accurate if the game was set in Japan either. It hosed up Chinese AND Japanese history, in a game where Japan plays no role.
To be fair, I don't really think it counts as 'loving up' if you're intentionally veering away from what actually happened. I'm pretty sure nobody working on the game thought Zhuge Liang was a wizard who fought japanese shrine maidens.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Has there been any word on whether Orochi 3 Ultimate will hit the US on the PS4?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

To be fair, I don't really think it counts as 'loving up' if you're intentionally veering away from what actually happened. I'm pretty sure nobody working on the game thought Zhuge Liang was a wizard who fought japanese shrine maidens.

Out of all the things historically wrong in Kessen II, Xun Yu being a woman (AND the main love interest) is the definition of "because Japan."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is the definitive version, for PS3 and Vita, featuring a bunch of new content like more storylines and characters.
I gotta say though, the extra storylines are pretty boring and tacked-on compared to the main one, which is actually rather fresh and engaging, considering it's just about knocking off Orochi yet again.

edit: and the new characters don't really have any place in the story, and the stages where you get them are like "hey Kasumi (or whoever) is over there kicking rear end, let's join her, the end". I played through the main Orochi 3 story multiple times but lost interest in the new stuff half way through.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 11, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Out of all the things historically wrong in Kessen II, Xun Yu being a woman (AND the main love interest) is the definition of "because Japan."
Iunno, I don't really see the problem here. Once you enter the realm of 'this is fiction based very loosely off of history' that sort of thing seems fine to me. I haven't really played Kessen II, so if it's handled in a creepy or weird way that's one thing, but if it's just 'Xun Yu is a woman and wants to betray the world if you catch my drift' then whatever.

It isn't 'historically wrong' if you never intended to be historically right in the first place.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So I'm playing the story modes I never did in DW8 basic, and goddamn I love it's treatment of Wu. "Uh, well, first the important guy died. Then the next important guy died. Then they failed and the next important guy died. Why are you playing this family? They are the worst."

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Stelas posted:

"Why are you playing this family? They are the worst."

On the other hand, they have Huang Gai, the best character.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stelas posted:

So I'm playing the story modes I never did in DW8 basic, and goddamn I love it's treatment of Wu. "Uh, well, first the important guy died. Then the next important guy died. Then they failed and the next important guy died. Why are you playing this family? They are the worst."

Sun Ce kicking the bucket is really confusing if you play as him and mop the battlefield clean before finishing the map.

"I have slain all of my enemies! Ehhhh but I feel kinda lovely so bro you better take my job. Also, apparently I'm dead but nobody's gonna see that happen."

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zhou Yu too. "Oh poo poo, arrow to the gut! Let me just kill these fifteen officers before I keel over."

e: Lu Su too come to think of it. Truly, the worst family. They don't even get satisfying death scenes.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What did they do to the crafting system in DW8? It's not good.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I don't really see the problem here. Once you enter the realm of 'this is fiction based very loosely off of history' that sort of thing seems fine to me. I haven't really played Kessen II, so if it's handled in a creepy or weird way that's one thing, but if it's just 'Xun Yu is a woman and wants to betray the world if you catch my drift' then whatever.

It isn't 'historically wrong' if you never intended to be historically right in the first place.

Well yeah, but I was writing about it for a paper for a 300 level class on the history of China, so "wrong" is still probably the most appropriate choice of word in that context.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Sun Ce kicking the bucket is really confusing if you play as him and mop the battlefield clean before finishing the map.

"I have slain all of my enemies! Ehhhh but I feel kinda lovely so bro you better take my job. Also, apparently I'm dead but nobody's gonna see that happen."
Once again, DW7 handled this part of the story better too -- Sun Ce was only playable (and not exactly mopping the battlefield clean) up until he gets shot up in a cutscene, then you're playing Quan for the remainder.

Stelas posted:

Zhou Yu too. "Oh poo poo, arrow to the gut! Let me just kill these fifteen officers before I keel over."
Aaaaaaand he at least got a rendered-CG death scene after the equivalent DW7 battle that also explained the Liu Bei-Sun Shangxiang marriage from Wu's side (meant to "chain" Liu Bei from marching against Wu).

Stelas posted:

e: Lu Su too come to think of it. Truly, the worst family. They don't even get satisfying death scenes.
Does anyone look good in DW8 besides Wei, Jin, and Lu Bu?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Does anyone look good in DW8 besides Wei, Jin, and Lu Bu?

Well the series is slowly becoming more historically accurate so it's only natural Wei and Jin are seen in a competent light. Lu Bu is just fanfare, but Shu and Wu were basically meh in history.

Especially Wu, they just trolled the other two kingdoms all day but never expanded so they were just a guest in what was basically Wei vs. Shu.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tae posted:

Well the series is slowly becoming more historically accurate so it's only natural Wei and Jin are seen in a competent light. Lu Bu is just fanfare, but Shu and Wu were basically meh in history.

Especially Wu, they just trolled the other two kingdoms all day but never expanded so they were just a guest in what was basically Wei vs. Shu.
It's a bit of an oddity in that that sounds closer to Wu's role in the novel, but then again it seems to me like the game plot nowadays is the novel with a more sympathetic look at Wei in its story mode, or at least that there's a lot of fanfare going on far beyond Lu Bu at this point.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Fun fact: According to The Records of the Grand Historian, trolling your enemies is a legitimate historical Chinese military tactic. The Duke of Pei at one point sends envoys to just make fun of an opposing army for days on end until they decide to try to attack him by passing through a river, at which point he whoops their rear end while they're trying to cross. :eng101:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
One of the best parts of Three Kingdoms so far was Zhuge Liang literally trolling Zhou Yu to death.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 11, 2014

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
In the novel, Wu are just a sideshow to Wei and Shu. However, historically, Wu was a major thorn to Wei's side (Shu was comparatively tiny, but tenacious) and most of Wei's best generals and soldiers were located on the Wu border. Wu attacked Wei many times, and vice versa. Wu was also VERY expansionist, partially due to the fact Sun Quan got a little crazy as he got older. He conquered much of modern day northern Vietnam, Taiwan and also sent navies out to conquer Japan and find various legendary islands. (The latter attempts were miserable failures)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Maybe I'm weird but I do think the whole DW adaptation of the story would be a hell of a lot easier to follow if the characters actually aged. Guo Jia is sick for like 20 years and still looks like a 14 year old girl.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I played the poo poo out of samurai warriors 1 and dynasty warriors 2.

I'm getting warriors orochi 3 from gamefly.

How lost am I going to be

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OH WORD SON posted:

I played the poo poo out of samurai warriors 1 and dynasty warriors 2.

I'm getting warriors orochi 3 from gamefly.

How lost am I going to be

On a scale of 1 to 10?

Exceptionally.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10?

Exceptionally.
Really? How much has really changed since then?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dewgy posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I do think the whole DW adaptation of the story would be a hell of a lot easier to follow if the characters actually aged. Guo Jia is sick for like 20 years and still looks like a 14 year old girl.

Ma Dai is the worst because in 7 he shows up in a story mode level during the Dong Zhuo stuff and is still around during Wuzhang Plains, long after the other characters involved in the early stuff have died off.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since Dynasty Warriors 2 about 28 characters were in that game. For Samurai Warriors it was around 16. In Orochi Warriors 1 there are about 60+ characters counting Orochi original, Dynasty and Samurai all together. In Orochi Warriors 3 this comes out to over 130. Apparently because that's what the internet says and I'm not manually counting anymore. Point is they added a ton of people.

Overall if you want to play Orochi Warriors 3 and want to know what happened in 1 and 2 the game does have a summery page. Also some of your DW2/SW1 characters have had their overall clothing style changed and might have also had a weapon change over this period of time.

Edit: Yes, it took about 8 games but they finally got Cow Cow name right as well.

Sandata fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 11, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cow Cow is Sao Sao.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Samurai Sanders posted:

Mechanically there's the three characters in battle thing and enormously expanded roster. And I know nobody plays these games for the story, but if you're jumping from those games into Orochi 3's time-traveling, dimension-hopping clusterfuck, you're going to get confused no matter how much you pay attention to the story.

You can't even rely on series mainstays like "don't pursue Lu Bu," because hey, this bishonen fucker appears out of nowhere, pursues Lu Bu, and kicks his rear end. The gently caress is with that poo poo? :psyduck:

I mean, granted, it's not going to stop anyone from being able to play, but the question was "how lost am I going to be?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Lots of characters yeah, but the core people are still the core people I think, as long as you know who is affiliated with who (uniform characters help, at least for the Chinese people), you should be relatively okay I think. It's better than jumping into Orochi with NO experience, anyway.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samurai Warriors came out a decade ago, remembering even the core people might be rough, especially given art changes over time

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Tae posted:

Cow Cow is Sao Sao.

Tsao Tsao, actually. :spergin:

Keeshhound posted:

You can't even rely on series mainstays like "don't pursue Lu Bu," because hey, this bishonen fucker appears out of nowhere, pursues Lu Bu, and kicks his rear end. The gently caress is with that poo poo? :psyduck:

Well, he is a cyborg, not to mention a god. A half-robot deity might give even Lu Bu some trouble. The fact that his moveset is kinda bad doesn't help the case, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lu Bu getting worfed by whoever the new badass is supposed to be is one of my favorite little side things in Orochi

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just beat Warriors Orochi 3 for the PS3 last week. God drat that was fun. I'm kind of hungering for more, so I guess it's a good thing the Ultimate version of it is coming out in the West eventually…

Kind of shocking how much better this is than Next, the only other Warriors game I'd played recently. That thing was waaaayy too launch title gimmick-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RentACop posted:

Lu Bu getting worfed by whoever the new badass is supposed to be is one of my favorite little side things in Orochi

I love the fact that it's almost always followed up by you stomping a mudhole in said new badass because Omega-Force seem to have stopped artificially inflating enemy stats.