Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Broken Cog posted:

You mentioned yourself that the Last Giant flies into a rage when he sees you, why do you think that is?

Because you're a human, and he's been locked in a dark cave for countless years because he lost a war to humans.

Broken Cog posted:

Because although I wasn't too much of a fan of the gameplay and level design of DS1, I liked the world and the way they presented it.

Then take a step back for a moment and think about what Dark Souls 2 is about; memories. The game is all about memories. Now imagine why, in a game that is about memories, they would put in a bunch of callbacks to the last two games in the series. This serves a point. Its not just cameos for the sake of it, as you put it. I was kind of annoyed with the references at first until I realized that there is actual purpose behind them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I thought the bosses are more varied and cooler in DS2 than they were in DS1. I mean there are some like Lost Sinner and Flexile Sentry that are a total joke and do nothing interesting, but there are plenty of bosses that are a lot of fun. Dark Souls 1 had straight up broken dogshit fights like Ceaseless and Bed of Clipping.

Demon souls probably had the most varied bosses of the whole series though. Even if all of them were easy to cheese one way or another (or were just total pushovers), they each presented a unique challenge and look.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Internet Kraken posted:

Artorias could be chumped simply by hiding behind a great shield. If you don't have a great shield, you can just learn to dodge against him, its really not that hard. The first time I fought Artorias was with my SL 20 dickwraith and no shield, so he was kind of challenging. When I fought him with an appropriately leveled character, he was a total joke and went down in one try as well. Manus I think I've died to all of once. His attacks look scary but they aren't that hard to avoid. I don't consider him to be difficult in the slightest. So the bosses you think are hard? I think they were easy as hell.

Just because I knew how to beat them easily doesn't mean they are bad though.

The point is, they had varied movesets and actually had potential to kill you. They were well-designed. Like every boss in every souls game, once you know what you're doing, they're "easy". There is no learning on any boss in DS2 besides the Smelter Demon really. You just walk in, they swing their sword, and...that's it. I beat Manus in 2 attempts, but he actually had to be learned and there were a lot of opportunities to gently caress up.

On a sidenote, the entire scaling of damage seems hosed up in DS2, because once you get a +10 weapon, every boss seemed to go down in under a minute. It got to the point where I could just let my dude get slapped around by everything, estus up, and hit him back. You can repeat that process over and over because you have more estus than the boss has health, even if you're constantly getting hit. The Spider Boss is a good example. All her attacks are incredibly slow. You could get hit and then always estus up immediately afterwards. There was no threat of dying whatsoever. In a well designed fight (like Smelter/Artorias), if you get hit, you're pretty much forced to dodge their next few attacks before getting a chance to drink. The Smelter Demon was the only good 1v1 fight in the game because he was relentless + you couldn't block his firesword (and even he could be trivialized with a Gyrm Shield).

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 11, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dr. Carwash posted:

The point is, they had varied movesets and actually had potential to kill you. They were well-designed. Like every boss in every souls game, once you know what you're doing, they're "easy". There is no learning on any boss in DS2 besides the Smelter Demon really. You just walk in, they swing their sword, and...that's it. I beat Manus in 2 attempts, but he actually had to be learned and there was a lot of opportunities to gently caress up.

On a sidenote, the entire scaling of damage seems hosed up in DS2, because once you get a +10 weapon, every boss seemed to go down in under a minute. It got to the point where I could just let my dude get slapped around by everything, estus up, and hit him back. You can repeat that process over and over because you have more estus than the boss has health, even if you're constantly getting hit. The Spider Boss is a good example. All her attacks are incredible slow. You could get hit and then always estus up immediately afterwards. There was no threat of dying whatsoever. In a well designed fight (like Smelter/Artorias), if you get hit, you're pretty much forced to dodge their next few attacks before getting a chance to drink. The Smelter Demon was the only good 1v1 fight in the game because he was relentless + you couldn't block his firesword (and even he could be trivialized with a Gyrm Shield).

Yo you should probably fight the bosses before putting 50 points into vigor maybe.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

It got to the point where I could just let my dude get slapped around by everything, estus up, and hit him back.

You could do the exact same thing in dks. Arguably even more effective there since enemies in general did less damage, so a decent Vit investment and some poise allowed you to facetank pretty much every boss.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

You could do the exact same thing in dks. Arguably even more effective there since enemies in general did less damage, so a decent Vit investment and some poise allowed you to facetank pretty much every boss.

Yeah. The only challenge - and it could be a significant one - was choosing when to drop your guard and how many swings to take or when to heal. Or else dodging magic or chip attacks.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

kazil posted:

Yo you should probably fight the bosses before putting 50 points into vigor maybe.
I have had 10 points in Vigor for pretty much the whole game and most of the bosses have been chumplords.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
1v2 bellbroing is the best poo poo. so many people don't know what the hell to do against batstaff+darkfog

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Genocyber posted:

You could do it on some of the bosses, but not all of them. The only boss in DS2 that involves dodging after getting hit is the Smelter Demon.

Also I had 15-20 vigor for most of the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I have had 10 points in Vigor for pretty much the whole game and most of the bosses have been chumplords.

I was actually trying to think about which bosses so far have been able to give me trouble. Most have been buried under a tidal wave of summoned help which I guess is more my fault than theirs. I died to Darklurker twice, but that was enough to learn all his tells (albeit I did cheese him with the ol' "chaos storm while he splits"). Belfry Gargoyles at NG+ level gave me trouble, but I finally managed to beat them all to death with a +6 mace and attrition.

I had problems with the Duke's spider in NG+ mode, but that's because I had steamrolled her with summons the first time around so I didn't learn anything about her tells or how to fight her.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
darklurker, smelter, belfry garg are the only challenging bosses in the game. This game needs some Prepare To Die DLC asap

e: i have not attempted the ancient dragon

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

You could do it on some of the bosses, but not all of them. The only boss in DS2 that involves dodging after getting hit is the Smelter Demon.

Also I had 15-20 vigor for most of the game.

No, you could tank virtually all of the bosses. The only two you maybe couldn't are Manus and Kalameet, since they have some attacks that could straight up oneshot you. Other than that, you can facetank everything.

15-20 Vig is a pretty good investment, especially since every level gives you a tiny bit of HP.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bef posted:

darklurker, smelter, belfry garg are the only challenging bosses in the game. This game needs some Prepare To Die DLC asap

What does the smelter do that's hard though? Besides his "gotcha!" aoe attack the first time around he's just another melee boss. Belfry Gargoyles are chumped by the tried and true strategy of "use a big shield" that people were complaining about.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

RBA Starblade posted:

With the drangleic sword and other greatswords, is the LT attack when twohanding it a parry? I can't tell.

Yeah. It's more-or-less impossible to actually parry anything with it. A dude did it to me today and we sent a bunch of excited messages back and forth and I made a new friend.

Then we had a disagreement about whether the asylum demon was better than the last giant but nobody got angry about it because we aren't loving idiots.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I specifically remember a bunch of bosses sometimes pulling out a third/fourth hit in one of their standard combos if I tried to heal near them after getting hit. Maybe they're just stupidly rare but I know they exist because I lost several fights when I tried healing in front of them and they just pulled out another hit to kill me. Mirror Knight and Vesdalt both can do it.

On the subject of bosses, I imagine basically nobody has been grabbed by Demon of Song because he's pathetically slow. I saw his grab today though while sunbroing and its hilarious. He picks you up and repeatedly slams you into the ground like a toddler playing a with a toy. What made it really funny was that he grabbed the other phantom, but the host still died because the demon pounded the phantom into the host for a double kill.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 11, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I legitimately struggle to solo a good chunk of the bosses in DS2, but nonchalantly facerolled/tanked most of DS1's bosses with a handful of exceptions. Like, actually forgot that some of the bosses were bosses. I guess that's what subjective means, though!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Here's how most bosses go by game:

Demon's Souls: Magic from a distance where they can't even reach you
Dark Souls: Hide behind a 100% damage reduction shield so they can't even hurt you
Dark Souls 2: Walk in a circle around them so they can't even hit you

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

You could do it on some of the bosses, but not all of them.

The only bosses I can remember from DS1 that were super aggressive and would punish you for taking sippies were the DLC ones, and Gwyn.

The only real really super hard fight in the game (non-DLC) was O&S, and once you figured out that you just had to keep one in front of the other/grabbed a greatshield they were a joke too.

Dark Souls 2 is an improvement in that you can't just take a nap behind a greatshield anymore for every boss. All the humanoid bosses have moves that will break/go through your guard and the giant bosses either have crushing attacks that ignore shields or deal so much stamina damage you can't just hug them and wait for your turn like you could in DS1. Well, except for lost sinner and flexile sentry but those are garbage fights and one of them is a regular enemy later on.

Also, I hate the smelter demon. I think it's the shittiest fight in the game. :shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dark Souls 2 (PC): Gavlan :spergin:, Gavlan :downs:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cowcaster posted:

What does the smelter do that's hard though? Besides his "gotcha!" aoe attack the first time around he's just another melee boss. Belfry Gargoyles are chumped by the tried and true strategy of "use a big shield" that people were complaining about.

Gargoyles are way, way more fun when you don't use a shield.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Just finished up NG+. I think Watcher and Defender might have a weird difficulty since you can do them right after getting the ring, and they also need to be doable as the opening act to the final boss. I still wound up dying to them once because poo poo does a ton of damage in NG+.

Maybe W&D could be spiced up a bit if they were quicker to put the infusions on their weapons or Defender screened for Watcher a bit more, or if they were super aggressive about healing each other.

I wonder if people would care as much about DS2's fanservice callbacks if the King's Field games were more available.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Also really the most annoying thing bar-none about Dark Souls 2 bosses is how the Pursuer floating everywhere has given him weird skinny baby legs. Dude's some hosed-up top heavy Baron Harkonnen looking rear end in a top hat.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cowcaster posted:

Also really the most annoying thing bar-none about Dark Souls 2 bosses is how the Pursuer floating everywhere has given him weird skinny baby legs. Dude's some hosed-up top heavy Baron Harkonnen looking rear end in a top hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-oRydlnCE

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cowcaster posted:

He actually has some pretty gruesome attack patterns that will kill you besides the rest of the bosses in the game. He reminds me of Artorias in that the fight only gets tougher as it progresses. I never used a big shield when playing solo so idk much about that but having multiple aggressive gargoyles that didn't die in 2 hits was refreshing compared to everything else in the game. The fact that Nashandra is the final boss is a complete joke compared to Gwyn which actually required some level of skill.

W&D should've been some epitomes O&S poo poo where your skills are really challenged with two hyper aggressive enemies but alas

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bosses aren't hard when you learn all their moves and tells and come up with strategies to beat them. That means those bosses aren't hard at all.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

argondamn posted:

Bosses aren't hard when you learn all their moves and tells and come up with strategies to beat them. That means those bosses aren't hard at all.

Well yeah, thats Dark Souls in a nutshell. I think bosses having more complex movesets is what makes it more interesting and I didn't see much of that in DS2. I could also be biased simply due to the fact that I went through DS solo on NG+. The games play the same, so you have a really thorough understanding of what to expect when playing a new game in the series.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

argondamn posted:

I was listing the bosses that gave me the most trouble though? So those would be the hard bosses.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

bef posted:

W&D should've been some epitomes O&S poo poo where your skills are really challenged with two hyper aggressive enemies but alas

I was really disappointed in them. W&D + the last boss does not equal a great last boss experience, while it covers basically everything you've needed to fight in the game it's split up and the effect is lost. Even with the last boss' Curse function I didn't feel all that pressured - not like when Gwyn jumped at me with a gigantic fire sword that slowly ate away at my health no matter what.

Also, I'm convinced that Santier's Spear is the One True Weapon. The Swiss army knife moveset is so drat fun, I just wish grinding out Twinkling Titanite was easier. Once I suck it up and re-allocate to a mundane build I'm guessing this thing will carry me into NG++n.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

bef posted:

Save yourself the hassle and don't bother with that lump of poo poo in the shrine. Its the worst boss in the game and I'm glad its entirely optional.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Save yourself the hassle and don't bother with that lump of poo poo in the shrine. Its the worst boss in the game and I'm glad its entirely optional.

Yeah it's like fighting the hellkite dragon except you can dodge the OHKO fire by sprinting and it has 40 times the health.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just ascetic forked road bonfire, get gower's, and a bunch of repair powders. Turn your back every time a.d. breathes fire, and use the powder to repair the ring before it breaks. Makes him very easy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah it's like fighting the hellkite dragon except you can dodge the OHKO fire by sprinting and it has 40 times the health.

You can't dodge the fire if you aren't position right even if you have full stamina when it takes to the air.

Also to anyone that has had issues with Darklurker: use fire or lightning, watch it disintegrate in under a minute. Sunlight Spear in particular completely ruins the poor thing. You can also silence it with Profound Still.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So I just found out that The Pursuer can cast loving Affinity. Needless to say, I didn't live long after finding that out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

So I just found out that The Pursuer can cast loving Affinity. Needless to say, I didn't live long after finding that out.

Don't let him stick you with his curse sword, he can't do that without sucking your life force first.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

Just ascetic forked road bonfire, get gower's, and a bunch of repair powders. Turn your back every time a.d. breathes fire, and use the powder to repair the ring before it breaks. Makes him very easy.

But is it masochistically fun?

Red Crown posted:

I was really disappointed in them. W&D + the last boss does not equal a great last boss experience, while it covers basically everything you've needed to fight in the game it's split up and the effect is lost. Even with the last boss' Curse function I didn't feel all that pressured - not like when Gwyn jumped at me with a gigantic fire sword that slowly ate away at my health no matter what.

Also, I'm convinced that Santier's Spear is the One True Weapon. The Swiss army knife moveset is so drat fun, I just wish grinding out Twinkling Titanite was easier. Once I suck it up and re-allocate to a mundane build I'm guessing this thing will carry me into NG++n.

Thats what I loved about Gwyn. He was the Final Boss and he went all out on loving you up right from the get go. I don't think I ever felt that way in DS2. If you knew what to do the boss became a bit of a joke but you still need to have some skill level to succeed in the simplest way of defeating him. Nashandra is a slug that pisses where you were 5 seconds ago, all the time.

E:

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can't dodge the fire if you aren't position right even if you have full stamina when it takes to the air.

Also to anyone that has had issues with Darklurker: use fire or lightning, watch it disintegrate in under a minute. Sunlight Spear in particular completely ruins the poor thing. You can also silence it with Profound Still.

Its dumb but for this reason alone I feel like complete melee should be done for the first run. I went lightning/hex for my second run and it was an absolute joke.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

His attack patterns aren't clearly telegraphed, so sometimes he just does two swings, sometimes he does two swings and a jump, sometimes he does all that with the AoE fire thing, sometimes he does something else entirely but you didn't catch his arm movement right because he's so drat large and also almost on top of you. On top of this he hits for half your health each swing and is hyper aggressive so healing is difficult.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ancient Dragon is easy, stay between the two inner toes on each of his back legs and he spends the entire fight trying to stomp you.

What spells/weapons are best if I want to be a huge rear end in a top hat? I plan to try Bat Staff/Dark Fog mixed with Repel, Profound Still and I don't know what else. I don't care about winning, I just want the other guy to not have fun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

It's not so much about whether it can be done as whether it's worth it.

I struggle to find a reason to say it's even close to worth the effort and tedium.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Ancient Dragon is easy, stay between the two inner toes on each of his back legs and he spends the entire fight trying to stomp you.

What spells/weapons are best if I want to be a huge rear end in a top hat? I plan to try Bat Staff/Dark Fog mixed with Repel, Profound Still and I don't know what else. I don't care about winning, I just want the other guy to not have fun.

You can poison people and then spam Force on them.

Had a guy do this to me, was stunlocked until my health had nearly run out, then I pretty much had to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not so much about whether it can be done as whether it's worth it.

I struggle to find a reason to say it's even close to worth the effort and tedium.

The one thing you get out of it can be gotten by hitting the Black Gulch bonfire with an ascetic and re-killing some giants so... probably not.