Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You're in luck. FNM is casual, not competitive. They aren't going to dock you or anything if you get the rules wrong, it's the time to learn and have fun. Constructed at FNM is free. You can usually play some limited too. Look up the store and see what they run. It can be: Standard Constructed, Modern Constructed, Sealed Deck, Booster Draft, Block Constructed, or Two-Headed Giant. I like drafting at FNM, even though you can get some bad habits like looking at your picks or talking. Bring dice and a notepad.

Unfortunately it looks like their FNM is 5 dollar entry Standard which isn't a deck I have. Fortunately, though, they have a free Commander and Modern night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That is lovely. They better be hooking up prize support, because FNM is for the kids! You're into Commander and Modern? It sounds like the store is running a magic event on Friday, not FNM as we've had the argument of how pedantic we want to be about it. Most of the old saws draft. It's fun as hell, I think the current environment is pretty good with all three sets of Theros. It helps you build your card pool or store credit. Modern is semi-eternal, but standard is always changing. It's a little late to be getting into the current Standard imo. The card base is about to get as big as it gets in July, then it loses half the cards in October. So not only is it a little overwhelming, the M14 and RTR block cards are going to rotate and absolutely tank in price.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 11, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Fox of Stone posted:

I hope you can show him a Theros pen island and see what he does. I have a running bet with a friend.

I thought you were talking about an Island whose art was vaguely penis-shaped at one part, but nope. That's a penis, front and center. How'd that get past the art directors?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The same way they got a woman riding a cyclops' severed penis while he jumps in pain complete with a dick joke in the flavor text.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Mikujin posted:

Are you also at GP Minneapolis?

Yep. Lost to mirror and melira pod, beat rug twin, a br land destruction deck and three ur twin decks in a row.

Playing american control.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Jesus christ

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zemyla posted:

I thought you were talking about an Island whose art was vaguely penis-shaped at one part, but nope. That's a penis, front and center. How'd that get past the art directors?

We used to call this the "red doggy dick".

But the ultimate "how did that slip by???" is how a card named "Invoke Prejudice" got away with this art.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Gynovore posted:

But the ultimate "how did that slip by???" is how a card named "Invoke Prejudice" got away with this art.

And then you find out that artist is actually a white supremacist.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zemyla posted:

I have two of these in my deck right now:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oh, are we talking about phallic and/or suggestive Magic art?

This and this are two of my favorite ones I've had pointed out to me.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GonSmithe posted:

And then you find out that artist is actually a white supremacist.

Yep. And if you want to really jump down the rabbit hole, Invoke Prejudice has a multiverse ID of 1488, which is supposedly a secret white supremacist code number.

Wake up sheeple, it's a CONSPIRACY!!!!1

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gynovore posted:

The Dark was a strange, strange time in Magic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elyv posted:

The Dark was a strange, strange time in Magic.

That's from Legends.

Though the Dark did introduce Bone Flute and Spitting Slug which are the basis of roughly a hundred juvenile magic jokes.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Kalli posted:

That's from Legends.

Though the Dark did introduce Bone Flute and Spitting Slug which are the basis of roughly a hundred juvenile magic jokes.

The best was Throne of Bone (heh :smuggo: ) from ABU.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

change my name posted:

I have two of these in my deck right now:

Printed in the same set as Corpsejack Menace :shepface:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
So I recall someone posted a really gimmicky RUG burn deck for standard here. The deck's "thing" was that you used Riddle of Lightning/Blast of Genius + Enter the Infinite for huge amounts of damage. Sadly I forgot to copy the list then, and now I can't find it, so does anyone mind posting it again?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jenx posted:

So I recall someone posted a really gimmicky RUG burn deck for standard here. The deck's "thing" was that you used Riddle of Lightning/Blast of Genius + Enter the Infinite for huge amounts of damage. Sadly I forgot to copy the list then, and now I can't find it, so does anyone mind posting it again?

From Magic is Ruined Forever.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Jenx posted:

Jacob Van Lunen also had an article with a few takes on that shell

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Thanks for the links.

Hmm well this is a short post, soo how about them timewalks? :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jenx posted:

Thanks for the links.

Hmm well this is a short post, soo how about them timewalks? :v:

Allowing Bant Aggro to walk all over me twice in a row in Power Cube. And I thought powering out big artifact creatures via Tolarian Academy would have done it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Yep. And if you want to really jump down the rabbit hole, Invoke Prejudice has a multiverse ID of 1488, which is supposedly a secret white supremacist code number.
That's creepy as poo poo. 1488 isn't an urban legend. It's short for a nazi slogan.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Wake up sheeple, it's a CONSPIRACY!!!!1

I'm not sure what the 14 is for, but 88 is a numerical reference for HH, Heil Hitler (Typing this was really weird). If you run into a person with 88 tattooed on their neck you should probably steer clear, at least in my personal experience.

And this has gone to a strange place.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Olothreutes posted:

I'm not sure what the 14 is for, but 88 is a numerical reference for HH, Heil Hitler (Typing this was really weird). If you run into a person with 88 tattooed on their neck you should probably steer clear, at least in my personal experience.

If you run into someone with anything tattooed on their neck, heading the other way is never a bad idea.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gynovore posted:

If you run into someone with anything tattooed on their neck, heading the other way is never a bad idea.

This is probably true, but I do know one Maori guy with some awesome neck/facial tattoos and in that particular case you'd be missing out. He had one tattoo put on his chin by a shaman while his son was being born, it's cool poo poo.

That said the bald guy with the 88 and the lightning bolts tattooed on his neck was not someone I spent much time around.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the art from lightning bolt tattooed on them. I know someone somewhere has a bad magic related tattoo (I'm pretty sure I've seen several in this thread).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Olothreutes posted:

This is probably true, but I do know one Maori guy with some awesome neck/facial tattoos and in that particular case you'd be missing out. He had one tattoo put on his chin by a shaman while his son was being born, it's cool poo poo.

That said the bald guy with the 88 and the lightning bolts tattooed on his neck was not someone I spent much time around.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the art from lightning bolt tattooed on them. I know someone somewhere has a bad magic related tattoo (I'm pretty sure I've seen several in this thread).

I know a dude with a Bird Maiden forearm tattoo, I'll see if he'll let me post a picture of it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Olothreutes posted:

The 14 bit is David Lane (he of The Order, an american white supremacist group) paraphrasing a bit in Mein Kampf and coining "Fourteen Words" as a slogan: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children."

So yeah, 1488 is a common neo-nazi thing. As is 18 (AH for Adolf Hitler) as in Combat 18 in the UK.

And while Invoke Prejudice being 1488 might seem like a joke, it looks like its just a quirk of the numbering system in gatherer. Legends start at 1398 and it goes in alphabetical order.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Shavnir posted:

Yep. Lost to mirror and melira pod, beat rug twin, a br land destruction deck and three ur twin decks in a row.

Playing american control.

I lost to Tarmo-Twin and Melira Pod; the former beats me if he draws all his counters (this guy drew all of them), and the latter is usually a deck I beat, but games 2 and 3 I mulled to five and he managed to open hands with triple Thoughtseize both games which really makes mulligans hurt.

Last round I played against BR burn and the dude was livid to see I have Glimmerposts and Thragtusk in the side since he dropped me to like 4 life, then in one turn I handily played some dudes and shot back up to 19. He was so upset that he refused to shake hands (I took him out of day 2) or sign the match result slip. :shobon:

E: For those that were wondering the sequence, I had Azusa and did the following: cast Primeval Titan, fetch double-Glimmerpost (+4), give it haste, swing, fetch bounce land + Vesuva [ETB as Glimmpost] (+3), trigger bounce Vesuva. Main 2 play Vesuva (+3), play bounce land, returning Vesuva, play Vesuva again (+3). Pact, cast Thragtusk (+5), for a total of a +15 life swing.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 11, 2014

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Awesome! Good luck today guys

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Mikujin posted:

I lost to Tarmo-Twin and Melira Pod; the former beats me if he draws all his counters (this guy drew all of them), and the latter is usually a deck I beat, but games 2 and 3 I mulled to five and he managed to open hands with triple Thoughtseize both games which really makes mulligans hurt.

Last round I played against BR burn and the dude was livid to see I have Glimmerposts and Thragtusk in the side since he dropped me to like 4 life, then in one turn I handily played some dudes and shot back up to 19. He was so upset that he refused to shake hands (I took him out of day 2) or sign the match result slip. :shobon:

E: For those that were wondering the sequence, I had Azusa and did the following: cast Primeval Titan, fetch double-Glimmerpost (+4), give it haste, swing, fetch bounce land + Vesuva [ETB as Glimmpost] (+3), trigger bounce Vesuva. Main 2 play Vesuva (+3), play bounce land, returning Vesuva, play Vesuva again (+3). Pact, cast Thragtusk (+5), for a total of a +15 life swing.

Nice. My sickest play was getting someone to discard their own lilianna. If you see this say hi to the guy in the kilt.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is there a consensus best list for Scapeshift? It's really the only modern deck I have any interest in, partially because I should be able to get the few expensive cards I don't already have fairly easily.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

MrBling posted:

Is there a consensus best list for Scapeshift? It's really the only modern deck I have any interest in, partially because I should be able to get the few expensive cards I don't already have fairly easily.
I don't know about consensus but it feels like Titanshift gives that extra 1-3% edge in some match ups that over a long tournament you'll do that much better than playing the other types. I think Scapeshift isn't the greatest 2 tier deck any more since Jund has took a backseat to blue/x decks.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Round 1 vs Paulo Vitor. Sadly lost. :(

He's playing junk pod w/ spike feeder combo. Game 1 I mull to 5, he goes thoughtseize, Bird+Thoughtseize, then EWit thoughtseize and tore my good mull apart.

Game 2 I once again have to mull to 5, get a hand that is playable but won't go off t2, at least I have a Seal for pod. Grinds out for awhile, I resolve some titans which die to shriekmaw and resto (since my amulet got decayed). My draws have been solid, he's on top deck mode after I firespout his board (save his angel). I'm set up for a kill in two turns (since I've no amulet), and he nut draws pod into spike feeder and turns on angel into another. Welp.

E: At least I get a button?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress 8rack

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's creepy as poo poo. 1488 isn't an urban legend. It's short for a nazi slogan.

Isn't it because 14 and 88 kind of look like the letter H, and it's supposed to be "Hail Hitler"?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Korak posted:

I don't know about consensus but it feels like Titanshift gives that extra 1-3% edge in some match ups that over a long tournament you'll do that much better than playing the other types. I think Scapeshift isn't the greatest 2 tier deck any more since Jund has took a backseat to blue/x decks.

scapeshift is a blue deck. is a UR control deck with green splash to mana ramp and a single card finisher. It has a prime sweeper for aggro in the form of anger of the gods, it has all the good blue draw and control spells, bolt, and then it goes scapeshift with floating remand mana, win.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Isn't it because 14 and 88 kind of look like the letter H, and it's supposed to be "Hail Hitler"?

14 is the number of words in some crazy White Power incantation or something and H is the eight letter of the alphabet so 88 is HH its not hard to guess what that stands for.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pony sleeves on the GP stream, and they're playing Draft.
I did miss most Modern stuff last night, but at least there'll be Legacy today on SCG.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Who would've thought Wild Guess would've been a card that people played in this day and age, huh? :allears:

Edit: Would Wild Guessing a Chandra's Phoenix be considered a value play for RW Burn?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 11, 2014

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Shavnir posted:

gently caress 8rack

gently caress tron too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ahaha Threads of Disloyalty off the top to steal a Snapcaster with Splinter Twin on it. That game was such a grindy value-fight.

• Locked thread