Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

40w invisible lasers :smugbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hacNofheBOQ&t=132s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
We just got an 80W CO2 at the space. Apparently if you replace the compressed air assist with pure oxygen it can cut steel like a plasma cutter. :staredog:

Also, the laser tube looks scifi as all hell and glows when it is firing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hillridge posted:

We just got an 80W CO2 at the space. Apparently if you replace the compressed air assist with pure oxygen it can cut steel like a plasma cutter. :staredog:

You gotta get video of this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hillridge posted:

I kinda want to try this with my space's 40w and some aluminum. (It'll catch fire instantly, I'm sure)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillridge posted:

:justpost:

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'll get a video of ours this weekend. This is the same style tube being test fired by some guy in his kitchen. The green is the coolant line that goes through the tube and connects to a chiller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03u-r1KW2LA&t=97s

Also, to keep with the thread, this is what happened to our previous 150W laser after it left our space (owner moved). Someone turned off the air assist as it was cutting, and no one was monitoring it.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 9, 2014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hillridge posted:

I'll get a video of ours this weekend. This is the same style tube being test fired by some guy in his kitchen. The green is the coolant line that goes through the tube and connects to a chiller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03u-r1KW2LA&t=97s

This is comically unsafe.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

This is comically unsafe.

He put his hand in front of it at least once while the thing is sitting there hot, armed, and barely tested. In his kitchen.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Comment from a friend whom I showed the video to: "This guy is clearly not married"

CO2 lasers are infrared, so you can't see them and don't know if your eyes have been exposed to dangerous levels until you start to lose your vision. Simple polycarbonate blocks the radiation though, so it's not hard to be safe.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My eyes always feel funny after watching our CO2 laser cutter through polycarbonate. Is it just because the burning material is so bright?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

He put his hand in front of it at least once while the thing is sitting there hot, armed, and barely tested. In his kitchen.

This is what freedom looks like.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
This one is just as unsafe with the added bonus that it is 100% home made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Td7cSgg6IA

It looks like such a Rube Goldberg machine.

CO2 from mixing baking soda and vinegar? Check.
HV transformer output shielded by a pill bottle? Check.
2 AC pumps in series to pull a vacuum? Double Check.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hillridge posted:

Ahaha, the little spinny flags he set up as indicators :3:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Whoops

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/photos/tipped-crane-crushes-two-cars-b99266733z1-258669371.html

Slide show/gallery

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It killed a prius so fantastic mechanical success.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Poor MCV36, best goddamn camry of all :(

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Electrical switchgear is pretty :black101:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

That pedestrian has no idea how close he came to getting killed :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

`Nemesis posted:

Order soon, there is proposed regulation capping personal lasers at 500mw or something like that.

No honest man needs more than 500mW in any laser.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Root Bear posted:

That pedestrian has no idea how close he came to getting killed :psyduck:

It's russia. he knows, he just doesn't care.

It's a very different place, man.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

`Nemesis posted:

Order soon, there is proposed regulation capping personal lasers at 500mw or something like that.

Here's a bargain on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Value...=item258e4f2a28

Part of me is tempted to see if they'll actually ship me this for free at this price. The other part of me thinks it's some kind of elaborate phishing scheme.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Yeah, I don't think you'd be getting it for that price without a shipping fee. It's tempting, though!

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Do it. Just fund the transaction with a credit card so you can reverse the charges if you get scammed. Shipping poo poo from China to the US is stupid cheap, so that part could be legit. $180 for the whole machine however is pretty suspect, since a decent laser tube costs 3-5x that alone.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
DID SOMEBODY SAY SEBRING? :unsmigghh:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The motor job is probably more than the drat car is worth, what's wrong with people

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wiring loom coming out with the engine, that's a first. You're lucky you don't have to crawl all over the engine bay disconnecting plugs behind the manifold and poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Put the cylinder heads on pikes outside bay 1, as a warning to any others.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

Wiring loom coming out with the engine, that's a first. You're lucky you don't have to crawl all over the engine bay disconnecting plugs behind the manifold and poo poo.

Every engine I've ever pulled the harness disconnects from the main body harness with a few big plugs and comes with the engine. Even my 1986 Celica is designed this way, although it's considerably harder to reach the big plug (behind the blower for the HVAC :argh:).

Also, what InitialDave said.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

Every engine I've ever pulled the harness disconnects from the main body harness with a few big plugs and comes with the engine. Even my 1986 Celica is designed this way, although it's considerably harder to reach the big plug (behind the blower for the HVAC :argh:).

Also, what InitialDave said.

Wish my Protege was like this. Nope, all hardwired to the harness all the way through the firewall to the PCM (which is mounted under the passenger kickplate.) Can't even unplug the PCM and pull the connector through; it's also hardwired to all the dashboard electronics. :allears:

\/Why do you think I bitched so much about pulling it a second time to re-fix the rear main seal? :suicide:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 11, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, that's loving stupid. Even Jeeps make that stuff easy and they made it even easier on 97 and later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've worked on many, many, many cars that you have to pretty much unplug every sensor on the car to get the engine out. There are also others where they get so close to making it unplug to remove, and then they'll have like three wires coming out of the main loom that go through the firewall just to gently caress with you. Also you often have to dismantle fuse boxes to free the engine part of the loom from the car.

On a semi-related note, on friday I discovered that in the BA falcon ford decided, in their wisdom, to rivet the engine ecu bracket to the left hand strut tower.

Also that holden decided the best way to affix a window regulator to a commodore is with loving rivets so if your window motor fails, you're using a drill and a rivet gun. So stupid.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

SocketSeven posted:

Electrical switchgear is pretty :black101:

I was expecting that to spell out words at the end.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On Reddit: allegedly a tire exploded in the trunk:

http://imgur.com/a/9lH4B

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

I've worked on many, many, many cars that you have to pretty much unplug every sensor on the car to get the engine out. There are also others where they get so close to making it unplug to remove, and then they'll have like three wires coming out of the main loom that go through the firewall just to gently caress with you. Also you often have to dismantle fuse boxes to free the engine part of the loom from the car.

While I haven't pulled an engine in ages (and certainly not on my current car), GM mounts the ECU for my car... under the hood. From what I can see, it's one plug to disconnect the entire engine loom (except for the alternator, starter, and grounds).

I was impressed/surprised when I saw that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zemyla posted:

I was expecting that to spell out words at the end.
Someone photoshop it to form dickbutt.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fucknag posted:

Wish my Protege was like this. Nope, all hardwired to the harness all the way through the firewall to the PCM (which is mounted under the passenger kickplate.) Can't even unplug the PCM and pull the connector through; it's also hardwired to all the dashboard electronics. :allears:

\/Why do you think I bitched so much about pulling it a second time to re-fix the rear main seal? :suicide:

I think this might be a Mazda thing. My '97 Probe (aka MX-6) was the same way, so many wires and vacuum lines that had to come off to get the drat thing out.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

On Reddit: allegedly a tire exploded in the trunk:

http://imgur.com/a/9lH4B

Doesn't look like it has a trunk.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Normal tires don't blow like that, but those marks sure look like a tread pattern. Bets on the driving wheel curbing something and getting a nice sidewall bubble and them putting it in the backseat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That looks like one of the kinds of vehicles where the seats fold down to let long objects go through the trunk into the back seat area. Like, for instance, skis. With how everything is torn it makes me think the tire blew up in the trunk and the burst of air blew all the foam and upholstery off the seat frames in its haste to reach the open atmosphere.