Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dreggon posted:

I don't care about winning, I just want the other guy to not have fun.

Goons_in_every_game.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Ancient Dragon is easy, stay between the two inner toes on each of his back legs and he spends the entire fight trying to stomp you.

What spells/weapons are best if I want to be a huge rear end in a top hat? I plan to try Bat Staff/Dark Fog mixed with Repel, Profound Still and I don't know what else. I don't care about winning, I just want the other guy to not have fun.

Except it can still breath fire on you from under it and it's just as much an instant kill if it hits you. Easier to dodge though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not so much about whether it can be done as whether it's worth it.

I struggle to find a reason to say it's even close to worth the effort and tedium.

I'm a completionist when it comes to boss fights but Ancient Dragon hit my limit. Long as hell walk full of enemies, massive health bar, bullshit instant kill, and not even fun to fight. I know you can cheese him with Gower's but gently caress it, that piece of poo poo isn't even worth killing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I can't be the only one who thinks the bonfire ascetics look like glowing honey-glazed donuts, right?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except it can still breath fire on you from under it and it's just as much an instant kill if it hits you. Easier to dodge though.

You need really awkward positioning to get the dragon doing this .

But if you're giving the dragon a manicure it basically baits it into having 3 attacks: left stomp, right stomp, and maybe the rain of fire after like 8 stomps.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bonfire Jack-O-Lantern

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Cowcaster posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks the bonfire ascetics look like glowing honey-glazed donuts, right?

You have to sacrifice something special to change the world.

But what is done cannot be undone, and your donut is gone forever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm a completionist when it comes to boss fights but Ancient Dragon hit my limit. Long as hell walk full of enemies, massive health bar, bullshit instant kill, and not even fun to fight. I know you can cheese him with Gower's but gently caress it, that piece of poo poo isn't even worth killing.

It's the game's way of telling you to stop being a dick honestly. Ancient Dragon is just chilling man don't harsh on his mellow :colbert:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I think part of what's going on is that most of the people playing Dark Souls 2 are DS1 veterans. When Queelag exploded, I'd never seen something like that before. When O&S completely overwhelmed me, I was completely unprepared. When the Four Kings bumrushed me and that music and the abyss and which way is up and that's a huge swor- YOU DIED.

Dark Souls 2 has plenty of those moments, I think most of us are just kinda used to them at this point.

Well... No, I don't think that's quite it. The game is just flawed in numerous ways. Level design, enemy design, BOSS design, matchmaking mechanics, combat mechanics (such as a heavily armored guy getting stunlocked by tiny babby knives). Everything was designed with just... so much care in Dark Souls 1; especially in the early portions of the game.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"We could have made every part of the game this pretty, we just decided not to." :darksouls:

Also look at this cute thing I found and its cute little feet. :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just fought a very spooky grim reaper named Death who set himself on fire and punched me to death with his fists. Being set on fire didn't seem to do anything to him or me though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I just fought a very spooky grim reaper named Death who set himself on fire and punched me to death with his fists. Being set on fire didn't seem to do anything to him or me though.

It deals damage over time Smelter style to both the caster and those around them. At least supposedly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Don't let him stick you with his curse sword, he can't do that without sucking your life force first.

Yeah, he usually never hits me with it or I never survive it but he really felt like torturing my dex toon. I've pulled a no hitter with dual caestus but dual falchions just didn't click.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 11, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobnumerotres posted:

It deals damage over time Smelter style to both the caster and those around them. At least supposedly.

Didn't really seem to do anything at all to mine, at least within greatsword range. Also, greatswords are fun to use. I'm currently bellbroing with the drangleic sword and I'm doing about as well as I did with sorcery. Most people aren't good at pvp.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only time I saw it used was by some dude during a Blood covenant duel. He was terrible, and once I Estused (because he did it first), he turned on infinite health.

I have a dim view of that spell, now.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Will the Mad Warrior come out if you are undead?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

"We could have made every part of the game this pretty, we just decided not to." :darksouls:

A lot of the areas were much more beautiful before the engine was revamped for a much lower-quality lighting system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbT03r_9Zo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just beat someone to death with a greatshield I can barely hold. :shepface:

e: RIP "PVP IS BAD". You shouldn't have been in the belfries buddy. I'm so glad I'm seeing people to invade here again in a new game. Throwing the white ring on makes this even sillier too. A giant green ogre named Shrek just finished the guy I tricked off I'm crying.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 11, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

turtlecrunch posted:

What mask is that? That looks phenomenal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat someone to death with a greatshield I can barely hold. :shepface:

e: RIP "PVP IS BAD". You shouldn't have been in the belfries buddy. I'm so glad I'm seeing people to invade here again in a new game. Throwing the white ring on makes this even sillier too. A giant green ogre named Shrek just finished the guy I tricked off I'm crying.

Oh man I was working with him a while back. Several times. Dude loving lives in the Belfries. He's the best :3:

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Vanderdeath posted:

What mask is that? That looks phenomenal.

It's the Shadow Mask, it drops off Flexile Sentry's NG+ helpers. They technically respawn so you can kill them, hope it drops, and if it doesn't, save/quit out and try again. Do this instead of burning an ascetic over and over because NMW on intensity 7 doesn't really play around!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Will the Mad Warrior come out if you are undead?

Yes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Someone mentioned earlier that there are gloves that cause bleed, where are these found? I'm bad and can't find them on wikidot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that there are gloves that cause bleed, where are these found? I'm bad and can't find them on wikidot.

Shadow gloves, from the suspicious shadows mentioned above. They're not hard to farm if you max item find, now that the shadows have been severely nerfed.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Hey guys, RE: Framreate stuff.

How can I force DS2 to render at 30 FPS?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

This is the most ridiculous lag example yet. I leap attack the dude, miss. We roll around, he goes into a lagbackstab, and in the middle of the animation he suddenly takes a shitload of damage from the leap attack that missed like 10 seconds ago and dies.

In a different fight, my character stopped in mid air, did a 90 degree turn and smashed into the phantom that rolled forward killing him.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can I use the Dark Sign to warp back to the bonfire without ruining a no-death run?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
That's a solid question and I don't think anyone has the answer.
Probably treats it as death.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gently caress turtle knights so goddamn hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish I used greatswords on my first game. Sorceries are fun, but I'm cleaning up even better with just this un-upgraded drangleic sword. It's way more fun than the sword/morningstar I was using for backup as a battlemage!

Mzbundifund posted:

Can I use the Dark Sign to warp back to the bonfire without ruining a no-death run?

You lose all your souls and don't get the chance to recover them, so if anything I'd think it's a superdeath.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

StashAugustine posted:

Use a blunt weapon to make armored things sad.
What im saying is, the starting mace is the most powerful PvE weapon in the game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm so goddamn bad at parrying in PvP.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do you want me to test the Dark Sign death count for you? Shouldn't take more than five minutes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Gorp posted:

Use a blunt weapon to make armored things sad.
What im saying is, the starting mace is the most powerful PvE weapon in the game.

It's not the damage, my +7 bastard sword is just fine, but I'm in that bit of Iron Keep where they're in the hallways and I can't avoid them and they bypass my greatshield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Hit them once and roll away. Wait for their attack to finish, walk up and repeat until victory.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
its always about damage.
A barely enough stats to hold it 10+ mace kills turtle knights in two hits.
Essentially, they are killed so fast they never get to swing.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm pretty sure the description says that it "invokes death".

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Genocyber posted:

Shadow gloves, from the suspicious shadows mentioned above. They're not hard to farm if you max item find, now that the shadows have been severely nerfed.

:sigh: From why do these interesting items have to drop from such rare enemies. Do you know if the pyromancers in the Lost Sinner fight drop anything worthwhile?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

:sigh: From why do these interesting items have to drop from such rare enemies. Do you know if the pyromancers in the Lost Sinner fight drop anything worthwhile?

I don't believe so. It does make sense since they give you a free +60 bleed to any weapon with bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Using the Dark Sign does not increase your death counter when used. It seems to just be a fancy homeward bone that eats all your souls.