Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Austrian mook posted:

That seemed to be the issue with megas in general. They seem to be getting into power creep territory, all the pokemon that got mega evos were really good already, gyarados, gengar etc. They made lots of already really good pokemon better and made some crazy broken. This was my big worry with X/Y, is this off base or mostly accurate?

I can't find the quote but I seem to remember someone from Game Freak saying that Mega Evolutions were an attempt to make more "mundane" Pokemon more viable against legendaries. The one-mega-per-team rule keeps the ridiculousness down a bit, at least. Plus it makes for interesting mind games when you have two powerful mega-evolveable Pokemon on your team. Is the mega-stone attached to Venusaur or Scizor? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PSWII60 posted:

Mega Luvdisc, and have it just be Alomomola.

The other way around as well

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There was a super triples team that somebody in IRC mentioned the other day that works really well, but I forgot about it. Does anybody know about it? I just remember that it involved Garchomp, Aggron, and I think maybe Dragonite? I think it was Fade5's team, but I'm not too sure.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Reminds me of this:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Speedboat Jones posted:

There was a super triples team that somebody in IRC mentioned the other day that works really well, but I forgot about it. Does anybody know about it? I just remember that it involved Garchomp, Aggron, and I think maybe Dragonite? I think it was Fade5's team, but I'm not too sure.

Lvl 1 Aron with Endeavour and Sandstorm, and Berry Juice to draw Aggro. Greninja with Mat Block to give them more turns. Rest of the team filled with powerful sweepers.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Austrian mook posted:

That seemed to be the issue with megas in general. They seem to be getting into power creep territory, all the pokemon that got mega evos were really good already, gyarados, gengar etc.

Medicham, Manectric, Pinsir, Charizard, Aerodactyl, Houndoom, Gardevoir, Aggron, Banette, Absol, Mawile and Abomasnow are all mediocre-to-bad pokemon buffed to some degree of relevance by their mega evolutions. Fair point on most of the rest, Lucario and Blaziken especially, though I don't think Mega Luc is super abusive like Parental Bond is abusive. Some of the good pokemon who got megas, like Scizor and Gyarados, allow those pokemon to fill niches they couldn't before, so while you can argue that giving these pokemon more viable sets is unnecessary, it's not necessarily bad for the game.

Ampharos got shafted pretty hard. Electric/Dragon with mold breaker is not a bad typing at all, but without sufficient speed or attacking stats or movepool to take advantage of it. Or the movepool. Bulky Specs Mega-Ampharos throwing draco meteors around might actually get a few kills. Points for the killer glam-rock mane, mega lantern sheep, but you disappointed the hell out of me in practice.

Sade fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 11, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega Ampharos belongs on a Trick Room team. Few megas do.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Waffleman_ posted:

Mega Farfetch'd, except unironically.

Edit: The best fanart came from the footage though.

Source is http://protocol00.tumblr.com

That's really dumb and totally missed the point. Groudon can turn water into continents, so it doesn't matter he only started out on a small piece of land.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well your name sure is appropriate.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

less laughter posted:

That's really dumb and totally missed the point. Groudon can turn water into continents, so it doesn't matter he only started out on a small piece of land.

How is he supposed to do that when he drops to one water spout?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sade posted:

Medicham, Manectric, Pinsir, Charizard, Aerodactyl, Houndoom, Gardevoir, Aggron, Banette, Absol, Mawile and Abomasnow are all mediocre-to-bad pokemon buffed to some degree of relevance by their mega evolutions. Fair point on most of the rest, Lucario and Blaziken especially, though I don't think Mega Luc is super abusive like Parental Bond is abusive. Some of the good pokemon who got megas, like Scizor and Gyarados, allow those pokemon to fill niches they couldn't before, so while you can argue that giving these pokemon more viable sets is unnecessary, it's not necessarily bad for the game.

Ampharos got shafted pretty hard. Electric/Dragon with mold breaker is not a bad typing at all, but without sufficient speed or attacking stats or movepool to take advantage of it. Or the movepool. Bulky Specs Mega-Ampharos throwing draco meteors around might actually get a few kills. Points for the killer glam-rock mane, mega lantern sheep, but you disappointed the hell out of me in practice.

Megamanectric is basically Jolteon with coverage.

I'm using mega ampharos at the moment, but it's soooo slooowww and the lack of ice attacks (ice punch since it knows elec punch) doesn't help either. At least it's bulky.

I just beat Clemont in game with my mono electric team. It was the most boring gym fight I've ever had. Only his Emolga could do any damage. It took a while to take down magneton due to having only dig as a good move against it.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 11, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I thought Groudon losing to Kyogre was kind of the point. Why else is the world 75% covered with ocean if an equal-but-opposite land behemoth exists? Just like how Xerneas' creation beats its counterpart's destruction?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Darth TNT posted:

And yet it still depends on Hidden Power to round out its moveset. :negative:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I'm pretty sure the biggest reason that Pokemon like Blaziken, Lucario, and Gengar got Megas is because they are very popular and well-loved even by Gamefreak themselves. If I recall correctly I believe that Gengar is Sugimori's favorite Pokemon. They may not have put much thought into how powerful their Megas would be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cerony posted:

I'm pretty sure the biggest reason that Pokemon like Blaziken, Lucario, and Gengar got Megas is because they are very popular and well-loved even by Gamefreak themselves. If I recall correctly I believe that Gengar is Sugimori's favorite Pokemon. They may not have put much thought into how powerful their Megas would be.

We all know some megas are the result of popularity (Why else give Charizard two forms?), but that's kind of a problem itself when they hand out power-ups so game changing with so little rhyme or reason.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

less laughter posted:

And yet it still depends on Hidden Power to round out its moveset. :negative:

Yeah, both are horrible for coverage.
Jolteon: elec and ghost.
Mamectric: elec, fire, ice fang(physical so not a very good fit) and I think Crunch?
Electric types are horrible in coverage in general.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Speedboat Jones posted:

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/like-ability-capsule-1000w-0l-triple-maison-team-report/

This one, it works ludicrously well.

Darth TNT posted:

Mega Manectric works better in doubles where it's possibly outsped by all of 4 pokemon, and gets a mid turn intimidate with Volt Switch.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have a 6IV ditto and a 3IV (hp/Att/def) Kangaskhan holding everstone/destiny knot. What are the odds of 4 party fulls of eggs having every single 4-5 IV pokemon with SpA IV at 31. It's loving infuriating.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Hirobyte/status/465443887834996736

A reputable source has a leak of volcanion's event. They just give it to you in a place you wouldn't expect.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dehry posted:

A reputable source has a leak of volcanion's event. They just give it to you in a place you wouldn't expect.

On the plus side, the reporter actually does something this time.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FlyerFenneX/status/465491064447463424

Afterwards she talks about a (new?) region

E: image source. It's a whole album.
https://www.imgur.com/a/cXaa4

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 11, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dehry posted:

I love it when someone in-game literally gives away a world changing legendary Pokemon, sought after by crooks and villains worldwide, to a preteen/teenage kid.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Maybe its me being a bit of a grognard, but I miss when you at least had to battle the event legendary on its home turf after hearing about it. It just not the same when random reporters and clerks can catch these beasts of legend and literally hand them out to the first person they talk to. Especially when it makes us miss a chance at a badass battle in the mountains.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

The Bee posted:

Maybe its me being a bit of a grognard, but I miss when you at least had to battle the event legendary on its home turf after hearing about it. It just not the same when random reporters and clerks can catch these beasts of legend and literally hand them out to the first person they talk to. Especially when it makes us miss a chance at a badass battle in the mountains.

I suppose it just generally lends to the idea of them being legendary in some fashion, if you have to be given some obscure item, and go through some arcane nonsense, in order to get a glimpse at these things, let alone battle and capture them. Makes it a bit more understandable why you're one of those rare exceptions when you're able to find them.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

The Bee posted:

A prehistoric cyborg killer insect resurrected by an evil team bent on world domination gets gifted to you by a mailman at a pokecenter. At the first gym.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sade posted:

I use MegaAmpharos on a Doubles Trick Room team and he is awesome. His bulk is super handy and has enough power to sweep some teams.

He also looks elegant doing it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Astro Nut posted:

I suppose it just generally lends to the idea of them being legendary in some fashion, if you have to be given some obscure item, and go through some arcane nonsense, in order to get a glimpse at these things, let alone battle and capture them. Makes it a bit more understandable why you're one of those rare exceptions when you're able to find them.

Tardigrade posted:

A prehistoric cyborg killer insect resurrected by an evil team bent on world domination gets gifted to you by a mailman at a pokecenter. At the first gym.

Yeah, exactly. They just don't feel legendary like they did when you had to venture into a nightmare to fight Darkrai, or even just finding Mewtwo at the bottom of the game's hardest dungeon. These just feel like really powerful giveaways.

I guess you could say the same about the catch rate change, too, but that's a whole different can of worms.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well, that's pretty fuckin' disappointing. But I'm not overly surprised- these are the people who brought us the GS Ball and the Azure Flute. I'm sure somebody had the idea to patch in an item that would give you access to the other power plant doors and trigger a legendary encounter, and everybody said "awesome idea", and then a few months later somebody over their head said "No. Too complicated. We'll just have an NPC hand the Pokemon to them. Make up a little story so it doesn't feel too shallow".

Like, at this point, the game's over for most people, and the ingame postgame doesn't let you use high legendaries. So all I can do is level it up til I can see its signature moves, then it goes into a box. The mini-adventure around finding and catching legendary Pokemon is the ONLY loving THING THAT'S ACTUALLY FUN ABOUT LEGENDARY loving POKEMON!!! (You're supposed to read that last sentence like Francis, and then imagine him swatting his webcam off his monitor. So go back and do that. Thanks.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
At this point I dunno why they don't open a specific tier in the Battle Facilities for otherwise disallowed Pokemon. It's about the only thing left you could do with them.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Um excuse me you forgot about Pokemon Amie

Don't you want to rub Genesect's belly? Oo's a good prehistoric cyber killer insect, hmm? YOU are!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So when are We gonna see Diancie event go live? Because I really want Volcanion but first we gotta get the Diamond girl.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The summer movie will have a Diancie event for Japan along with a Darkarai for preorders.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dehry posted:

The summer movie will have a Diancie event for Japan along with a Darkarai for preorders.

Okay so how about the rest of us?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
We'll probably get Diancie around the time the movie hits our shores.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If we're basing it off the last movie, then it should come out sometime in October. Just in time for the new games!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Bee posted:

The Bee posted:

Yeah, exactly. They just don't feel legendary like they did when you had to venture into a nightmare to fight Darkrai, or even just finding Mewtwo at the bottom of the game's hardest dungeon. These just feel like really powerful giveaways.
Agreed on both counts. There's a RomHack called Fire Red Omega that replaces the Altering Cave with a cave called the "Traveler's Tomb". It's a warp hub that has warp spots to Navel Rock, Birth Island, "Chronum Tower" and the "Ancient Labyrinth". The Traveler's Tomb itself has a trainer with 6 level 99 Blisseys, each holding a separate rare item, and a healer right across from her, making training hilariously easy, and also completely necessary.

Why is that training necessary? Because Chronum Tower is a maze like the Unknown Dungeon with 10 floors, each with a different legendary Pokemon as well as progressively stronger wild Pokemon on each floor; you're fighting fully evolved level 88 wild Pokemon by the end. Between all four places and the modified Kanto/Sevii Islands, you can catch every single Gen 3 legend and it is completely epic doing so. The legendaries themselves are also hellishly strong: Deoxys is Level 80, and Ho-oh/Lugia are level 90, making all of them an awesome fight.

My point with this is that nothing has come close to going on a legendary catching spree in Chronum Tower. It was a hell of a fight, but I caught every single Legendary Pokemon (most in Timer Balls), and (with the exception of Mew) traded all of them over to a legitimate Emerald cartridge, to eventually be brought all the way to Gen 6. If you got a level 80 Deoxys from me, it was from here, and I take pride in that.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

fade5 posted:

Agreed on both counts. There's a RomHack called Fire Red Omega that replaces the Altering Cave with a cave called the "Traveler's Tomb". It's a warp hub that has warp spots to Navel Rock, Birth Island, "Chronum Tower" and the "Ancient Labyrinth". The Traveler's Tomb itself has a trainer with 6 level 99 Blisseys, each holding a separate rare item, and a healer right across from her, making training hilariously easy, and also completely necessary.

Why is that training necessary? Because Chronum Tower is a maze like the Unknown Dungeon with 10 floors, each with a different legendary Pokemon as well as progressively stronger wild Pokemon on each floor; you're fighting fully evolved level 88 wild Pokemon by the end. Between all four places and the modified Kanto/Sevii Islands, you can catch every single Gen 3 legend and it is completely epic doing so. The legendaries themselves are also hellishly strong: Deoxys is Level 80, and Ho-oh/Lugia are level 90, making all of them an awesome fight.

My point with this is that nothing has come close to going on a legendary catching spree in Chronum Tower. It was a hell of a fight, but I caught every single Legendary Pokemon (most in Timer Balls), and (with the exception of Mew) traded all of them over to a legitimate Emerald cartridge, to eventually be brought all the way to Gen 6. If you got a level 80 Deoxys from me, it was from here, and I take pride in that.

How did you trade it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

How did you trade it?

He probably stuck it on a flashcart.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I really missed back in Ruby/Saphire or in Gold/Silver, when a legendary was surprising and mysterious. Like, that convoluted Regi poo poo? That was awesome. They're pretty lovely legendaries all things considered but catching the rarest pokemon in the game, getting a huge loving whale and moving to a mysterious cave at the bottom of the ocean, then going to 3 hidden remote places? loving A. Now you just get a super strong guy, what's next, DLC for the super good guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ChaosArgate posted:

He probably stuck it on a flashcart.
Yep, I play all my Romhacks on flashcarts like a real man, it makes it feel like an actual Pokemon game, as well as being portable. Note that this means no save-stating either, just save beforehand and pray. Pokemon is also shockingly crash-resistant, all the mons traded just fine, cloned just fine, Pal Parked just fine, and banked just fine, although everything is treated as being from "Kanto", including the Regis and all the other Hoenn legendaries.

Bank's hack check still sucks, by the way.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 11, 2014

• Locked thread