Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It is indeed The Dark Eye, thanks everyone! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Joe Man posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/mistmare

I always debated buying it from the bargain bin and always decided against it.

Oh wow, its Dark Souls from 2002. I'm gonna have to try that out :haw:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There was a game that was vaguely Worms-like that was very popular in 2003-2005 or so. It was one of the first big free-to-play with microtransactions you could use to spruce up your little tank or tank driver. It was basically cartoony and I think developed in Korea.

I specifically remember it had a boomerang launcher that was extremely affected by wind but did a ton of damage if you could calculate the right trajectory and gave it a high arc. Most people used a beetle(?) tank that shot four explosive balls that would roll before exploding.

edit: that's exactly it, thanks! Turns out "gun game" is not a good search term even if you're close!

kaschei fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 10, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

kaschei posted:

There was a game that was vaguely Worms-like that was very popular in 2003-2005 or so. It was one of the first big free-to-play with microtransactions you could use to spruce up your little tank or tank driver. It was basically cartoony and I think developed in Korea.

I specifically remember it had a boomerang launcher that was extremely affected by wind but did a ton of damage if you could calculate the right trajectory and gave it a high arc. Most people used a beetle(?) tank that shot four explosive balls that would roll before exploding.

Gunbound

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Mira posted:

Decades-old PC game. First-person point & click adventure.

I can only remember the intro (or maybe I only played the demo): Your character started out in a jail cell, and you had to break out using stuff you collected around you like cups and bricks and spoons. The prisoner in the adjoining cell would help you out, and when you were finally successful you could choose to take him along with you. If you didn't, he would curse you out.

I just remember it being really atmospheric and getting kinda' spooked when I was a kid.

I'm curious about this one as well. I remember playing something matching this description off of a demo disc in the mid-late 90's (PC Gamer or CGW maybe?). After you break out of the cell you leave the prison and engage in a sword fight, then either the demo ended there or I lost interest, because I don't remember anything past that point.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

justbread posted:

I'm curious about this one as well. I remember playing something matching this description off of a demo disc in the mid-late 90's (PC Gamer or CGW maybe?). After you break out of the cell you leave the prison and engage in a sword fight, then either the demo ended there or I lost interest, because I don't remember anything past that point.

It appears to be "La Fuga" by Exelweiss Entertainment:
http://www.abandonsocios.org/wiki/index.php?title=La_Fuga&diff=244113&oldid=244111

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Nah that doesn't look right. This game definitely had a first person perspective, not isometric, and I remember it having more of a fantasy / swashbuckling theme.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
An Amiga action game where you fought through a Nazi fortress or similar from a top-down view, as in only head and shoulders are visible most of the time. I think the player character was green. Not sure of any other details because I never played it, but always wanted to.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

The Interloper posted:

An Amiga action game where you fought through a Nazi fortress or similar from a top-down view, as in only head and shoulders are visible most of the time. I think the player character was green. Not sure of any other details because I never played it, but always wanted to.

Castle Wolfenstein was on the Amiga, although I think the player sprite was more purple than green.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Interloper posted:

Into The Eagle's Nest....maybe?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/into-the-eagles-nest

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

That must be it. The graphics look worse and it seems more like Gauntlet than I remember, but I only knew about it from reading old games magazines many years ago.

The Interloper fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 11, 2014

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

kaschei posted:

edit: that's exactly it, thanks! Turns out "gun game" is not a good search term even if you're close!

If you're interested, http://gunbound.ca maintains a "classic" version of the game that is very similar to the 03-05 version. It still has a moderately sizable userbase.

Unfortunately the "true" Gunbound is all-but unplayable nowadays after the introduction a few years back of superweapons that you could buy with real money that render anyone not willing to spend their money incapable of winning.

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007
This game was for the PS2 (probably). The playable character is a samurai/ronin and the games events take place over a single day. The total playtime of this day is about two hours and you could replay it several times to see the different events that occured. I think you could have the choice of defending the governor of a Japanese town againts rebels or joining that same rebel group and raid the governor's house.

There was some sort of mine or watermill involved in the areas you could explore.

A secret character was a playable robot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Way of the Samurai.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
And as luck would have it, MyNameIsKaz is doing a Let's Play of it right now, if that's your sort of thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A 3DO game similar to Blade Force. However instead of seeing a helicopter on screen it was first person and you played as a standing person who flew around via a platform with a gun on it. It had a large amount of advertisements and things you could blow to pieces. The game was in fact about how you rebel against THE SYSTEM by destroying advertisements, and that you've lost your "ability to promote," according to the TIE IN COMIC BOOK PREQUEL TO THE GAME.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A Myst-like game in the Alien universe. You arrive on a ship to a colony or station that's gone dark, you explore the area and try to figure out what happened. There's an exo-suit from the Aliens movie. It's not an action game in any way, it's purely adventure.

Edit: I found it myself, it was Aliens: A comic book adventure.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 13, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Rama? Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

justbread posted:

This is reminding me of a very similar game, though the one I saw wasn't much of an adventure type. It seemed like a fairly generic first-person fantasy fighting game. Someone gave me the disc they got for a promo, around that time (late 90's). I think it may have had a name that had something to do with torture or sacrifice.

vvvvvv
Not Witchaven; but sort of like that, just a few years more advanced in graphics. It might have been third-person (or at least had some fancier weapon animations).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 14, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kangra posted:

This is reminding me of a very similar game, though the one I saw wasn't much of an adventure type. It seemed like a fairly generic first-person fantasy fighting game. Someone gave me the disc they got for a promo, around that time (late 90's). I think it may have had a name that had something to do with torture or sacrifice.

Witchaven 2: Blood Vengeance?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've been trying to find a particular JRPG for years, but I've had no luck in coming across it.

What I remember of this is from an in-store demo, so I can't say I have a complete picture of the game at all. My best guess is it might be from the Sega Saturn, Playstation, or maybe even the PS2. It was a game with 2.5D world view when outside of combat, IE characters were sprites but the world was 3D. the main character had long brown hair, red gloves, and a bazooka. (though for some reason, he couldn't use the bazooka in combat. I guess it needed expendable shells or something) It was weird, though, that he was the only character you could play as. (Atleast during that portion of the game.)
In combat however, the game went full 3D with turn based combat. The enemies I remember were wolves and these weird floating orbs that had faces on them.
From what I remember, the character was in a forest travelling with a dog he found, trying to get away from an army or something. ( I can't remember exactly) One of the things you had to do was jump down a very large cliff to proceed to the next area of the forest. The camera panned around the character before you did this, along with a prompt saying that you could not go back if you proceeded, where you could then jump down or turn back. Eventually you made it out of the forest (and somehow the dog was missing at that point) and there was a world-map esque area (which was also full 3D). I couldn't figure out what you were supposed to do at that point, so I gave up on playing.

If anyone can help me find this, I would be very grateful. I've been trying to find it on and off for (apparently) more than a decade and I've had no real luck.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 16, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It's Wild Arms 2 for the PS1. And the character you're thinking of is Brad, one of the three main playable characters. You play as them each separately for a bit at the beginning, then they meet up.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 15, 2014

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
wow, That's it! I listened to the battle theme and it was the exact one I remember from way back then! thank you so much!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Happy to help! You remembered things really accurately, considering how long it's been (the game came out in 2000, so if you played an in-store demo, it's probably been 14 years)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A Myst-like adventure puzzle game. You are on an abandoned space luxury liner for some reason, think space Titanic.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Starship Titanic? :confused:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

scamtank posted:

Starship Titanic? :confused:

No I had a look at it and it doesn't seem right, I don't recall any talking robots. The ship was abandoned and damaged and you had to break into rooms and such, I think there was a model of the ship in one of the lobbies possibly.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

wow, That's it! I listened to the battle theme and it was the exact one I remember from way back then! thank you so much!

Wild Arms 2 is amazing and also available on PSN.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Demiurge4 posted:

No I had a look at it and it doesn't seem right, I don't recall any talking robots. The ship was abandoned and damaged and you had to break into rooms and such, I think there was a model of the ship in one of the lobbies possibly.

A bit of a stretch but maybe Mission Critical?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Demiurge4 posted:

A Myst-like adventure puzzle game. You are on an abandoned space luxury liner for some reason, think space Titanic.

Majestic: Alien Encounter?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/majestic-part-1-alien-encounter

Could also be Symbiocom, maybe: http://www.mobygames.com/game/symbiocom

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I saw this game in one of those "500 Games!" CDs that Software Vault put out, the ones that were like five bucks and was filled with mostly DOS demos and crappy Doom wads. The premise was weird. It was an "alien game" meaning it was programmed "by space aliens" supposedly. There was about eight or so "stages", represented by strange symbols. I don't remember the gameplay entirely, except that I think you were a thing that kind flew around almost Asteroids style and there were different colored orbs that did different things? Part of the appeal I assume was trying to figure out what everything in the game actually did. I never understood it, but I was thinking about it today just because of how weird it was.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I remember there being this PS1 demo I played for this puzzle game where you push blocks down a long, rectangular surface. It was in 3D but you only actually ever moved in one direction. I thought it was the coolest looking game I'd ever seen but I had zero idea how to play it. It might have been a pizza hut demo?

Scrag
Jun 7, 2003
We plants are happy plants.

PantsBandit posted:

I remember there being this PS1 demo I played for this puzzle game where you push blocks down a long, rectangular surface. It was in 3D but you only actually ever moved in one direction. I thought it was the coolest looking game I'd ever seen but I had zero idea how to play it. It might have been a pizza hut demo?

Intellgent Qube?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Qube

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That's it! Thanks!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

I saw this game in one of those "500 Games!" CDs that Software Vault put out, the ones that were like five bucks and was filled with mostly DOS demos and crappy Doom wads. The premise was weird. It was an "alien game" meaning it was programmed "by space aliens" supposedly. There was about eight or so "stages", represented by strange symbols. I don't remember the gameplay entirely, except that I think you were a thing that kind flew around almost Asteroids style and there were different colored orbs that did different things? Part of the appeal I assume was trying to figure out what everything in the game actually did. I never understood it, but I was thinking about it today just because of how weird it was.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

That's Helious. You play as a balloon, and float around by releasing air.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Speaking of games on demos (I loved Intelligent Qube), how about a PS1 game where you played as some kinda deep sea diver retrieving chests full of gold coins and poo poo?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The White Dragon posted:

Speaking of games on demos (I loved Intelligent Qube), how about a PS1 game where you played as some kinda deep sea diver retrieving chests full of gold coins and poo poo?

Sounds like Treasures of the Deep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasures_of_the_Deep

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzSfJpH5TdM

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, that's probably the one. Thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The White Dragon posted:

Definitely Treasures of the Deep. I actually hunted that one down recently after playing the PSone demo disc so many drat times. Its cheap now, pretty easy to pick up.

Haven't managed to tack down Intelligent Qube though, those things are massively overpriced on eBay these days :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely Treasures of the Deep. I actually hunted that one down recently after playing the PSone demo disc so many drat times. Its cheap now, pretty easy to pick up.

Haven't managed to tack down Intelligent Qube though, those things are massively overpriced on eBay these days :argh:

Do you know which demo disc had Intelligent Qube on it? I've been trying to find footage of the disc itself for nostalgia's sake.