Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

Lucky Star is very good and you should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I disagree.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I liked Lucky Star, but I agree that it's not for everyone. When I first watched it I thought "Heh, the blue one made a joke about otakus." A few years later, after watching a lot more shows it was more enjoyable since I got about 85% of the references compared to the first time when I got maybe 25%. That and episode 22 is one of the most heartwarming things I've ever seen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, it's mostly otaku jokes and references, which are hit or miss. I mostly liked it for Lucky Channel since an idol bitching about the industry usually gets a laugh outta me, but that's the last two minutes of every episode anyways.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Let's not miss the big picture here guys: everyone should watch Nichijou and if you don't like it you're a Bad Person who kicks puppies.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Anyone with Patlabor knowledge?
I'd like to watch something from the franchise, but it seems the tone and style varies a lot.
What I'd like to see is whatever is considered serious and action focused, I've seen clips that suggest the movies are what I'm looking for and not the TV series or OVAs, would that be correct?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Reive posted:

Anyone with Patlabor knowledge?
I'd like to watch something from the franchise, but it seems the tone and style varies a lot.
What I'd like to see is whatever is considered serious and action focused, I've seen clips that suggest the movies are what I'm looking for and not the TV series or OVAs, would that be correct?

Yup, pretty much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yup, pretty much.

Apart from the third film, which is just bad.

Also, you're really missing out if you don't watch the OAV/TV series because they're great.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Apart from the third film, which is just bad.

Also, you're really missing out if you don't watch the OAV/TV series because they're great.

I'm not ruling them out, I'm just stuck in a serious robot mode right now, I know the movies are somewhat lighthearted, but the shows seem much more comedic which isn't what my mood wants at the moment.

Specifically the last two things I watched are Detonator Orgun and Hades Project Zeorymer, if anyone has recommendations based on those I'm all ears, especially if they have that late 80s/early 90s OVA budget quality :allears:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Orguss 02, Venus Wars (not mecha, strictly, but good fun) and Macross Plus all spring to mind.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Reive posted:

I'm not ruling them out, I'm just stuck in a serious robot mode right now, I know the movies are somewhat lighthearted, but the shows seem much more comedic which isn't what my mood wants at the moment.

Specifically the last two things I watched are Detonator Orgun and Hades Project Zeorymer, if anyone has recommendations based on those I'm all ears, especially if they have that late 80s/early 90s OVA budget quality :allears:

Watch the 80s Patlabor OVA it has some somewhat serious episodes and it's just plain fun. Follow it up with the movies after that for the complete Patlabor experience. Same continuity anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

Watch the 80s Patlabor OVA it has some somewhat serious episodes and it's just plain fun. Follow it up with the movies after that for the complete Patlabor experience. Same continuity anyway.

Yeah, this. It's only 7 episodes anyways so it's something you can get through quickly enough, and there's a 2-part episode that's serious enough to fit that criteria.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Reive posted:

Detonator Orgun
Tekkaman Blade is something you should check out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reive posted:

Try one of the Getter Robo OAV's, either New Getter Robo or Getter Robo Armageddon. They're 90's/early 00's but have more in common with over the top 80's stuff. I'd suggest New, the opening episodes of Armageddon are stronger but it peters out and ends up worse.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RabidWeasel posted:

Let's not miss the big picture here guys: everyone should watch Nichijou and if you don't like it you're a Bad Person who kicks puppies suplexes goats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Yeah, this. It's only 7 episodes anyways so it's something you can get through quickly enough, and there's a 2-part episode that's serious enough to fit that criteria.
I will never not love the running gag of every single one of them going nuts while shouting "ME-ME-ME-ME" and waving a hand frantically in response to someone calmly asking if they have any questions :allears: (spoilered because it's something worth being surprised by).

The full 50-ep series also has a lot of serious episodes and is worth watching if the OVA's something you wind up enjoying. The animation quality isn't as good on-average, but it's still decent and they do splurge on the budget for major episodes and big fight scenes.

On the other hand, you can only be worthy of being Principal of the school if you're capable of suplexing a Deer barehanded.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the other hand, you can only be worthy of being Principal of the school if you're capable of suplexing a Deer barehanded.

Oh crap, I got my ungulates mixed up. How embarassing. :ohdear:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Sorry if this has been asked recently -

I'm trying to track down an anime I watched on the Sci-Fi channel in the mid 90's. It was about a group of people trapped on a spaceship or space station. One of them might have been a green alien dude? I think they were either students or recent graduates from some space academy. There was a traitor in their midst, and it was really tense as they tried to identify who it was. Pretty sure it was from the 80's, or maybe late 70's.

Any clues what it might be?

I'd also like recommendations for relatively dramatic sci-fi anime with cool spaceships. I'm not looking for Gundam series. Something along the lines of Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star would be cool. I'd prefer more modern stuff. Manga are fine too as long as they're not decades out of print and impossible to track down/hideously expensive or whatever.

Thanks!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Infinite Ryvius maybe?

e: For the first question, not the second.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 12, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'd also like recommendations for relatively dramatic sci-fi anime with cool spaceships. I'm not looking for Gundam series. Something along the lines of Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star would be cool. I'd prefer more modern stuff. Manga are fine too as long as they're not decades out of print and impossible to track down/hideously expensive or whatever.

Knights of Sidonia might work for you. It's mostly mech stuff but the entire show is set in a seed ship converted from an asteroid, so it's got at least one indisputably cool spaceship. The manga might be a better option than the currently airing show depending on your tolerance for 3DCG animation.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Sorry if this has been asked recently -

I'm trying to track down an anime I watched on the Sci-Fi channel in the mid 90's. It was about a group of people trapped on a spaceship or space station. One of them might have been a green alien dude? I think they were either students or recent graduates from some space academy. There was a traitor in their midst, and it was really tense as they tried to identify who it was. Pretty sure it was from the 80's, or maybe late 70's.

Any clues what it might be?
Thanks!

I would say there's a fair chance that was They Were Eleven. It's a decent little movie from what I can recall.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

wielder posted:

I would say there's a fair chance that was They Were Eleven. It's a decent little movie from what I can recall.

That's exactly it, thank you!

And is ... is Knights of Sidonia named after the Muse song, or is it just a really weird coincidence? :catstare: I'll give it a go anyway. I'm not averse to mecha stuff.

e: Infinite Ryvius sounds really similar in terms of the outline of the plot, though. I'll probably end up watching that too. Thanks!

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 12, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'd also like recommendations for relatively dramatic sci-fi anime with cool spaceships. I'm not looking for Gundam series. Something along the lines of Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star would be cool.

You might wanna check out the Space Battleship Yamato remake.

Also, Bodacious Space Pirates was pretty good. The CGI ships don't look too bad, and the ensemble cast is a lot of fun.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Thanks!

Try Lensman. It's basically Star Wars, but it's a good watch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Watching slayers because of the spring season thread discussion and I wonder what other rad 90s anime I missed that's as fun and silly as this show. Hulu has quite a few. I'm also watching Sherlock Hound which isn't from the 90s but does fill the 'fun' and 'silly' quota.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 12, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beans, I'm assuming you've already watched the series mentioned in the title of this very thread for Great Shows With Spaceships, right? Because, uh, you should if you haven't!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Watching slayers because of the spring season thread discussion and I wonder what other rad 90s anime I missed that's as fun and silly as this show. Hulu has quite a few. I'm also watching Sherlock Hound which isn't from the 90s but does fill the 'fun' and 'silly' quota.

Trigun starts out pretty fun and is from the same time period, though it does get more serious as it goes on. Have you seen Excel Saga? I think that might've been early 2000's, but it was pretty fun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

Flipping through my dusty, old DVDs got me:

El-Hazard OVA
The first two Tenchi Muyo OVAs
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Gunsmith Cats
Saber Marionette J

Reive
May 21, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Orguss 02, Venus Wars (not mecha, strictly, but good fun) and Macross Plus all spring to mind.

Added the first two to my list, I've seen Macross Plus.

Uznare posted:

Sounds like a plan!

Guyver posted:

Tekkaman Blade is something you should check out.

That's how I found out about Orgun, I've seen a few eps but need to get back to it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Try one of the Getter Robo OAV's, either New Getter Robo or Getter Robo Armageddon. They're 90's/early 00's but have more in common with over the top 80's stuff. I'd suggest New, the opening episodes of Armageddon are stronger but it peters out and ends up worse.

I've seen all 3 OVAs and it's one of my all time favorite mecha franchise in terms of style and tone, I really wish Ken Ishikawa's death didn't effect the plans he had for the OVAs. :(

If you're interested in mecha at all you owe it to yourself to watch the OVAs they're so good, and Armageddon has one of the best Hironobu Kageyama tracks ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaJw6lqGFew

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
goatman was here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 12, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gerty posted:

goatman was here

On this note, I have been kinda strapped for anime recently. The only new show I've watched in the past year or so has been JoJo's, so in order to get some recs I'll list some stuff I look for in anime

- over the top action. Anime is one of the few remaining forms of media where B-movie style action is utilized and even celebrated, so a show with a sort of throwback 70s or 80s feel would be awesome
- high school students as the main cast, because all of the greats (Haruhi, NGE, Utena etc) start from here. Despite the tired ground, it can often be interesting
- only one season, since again, the best is usually self contained, so the story they tell is more focused and interesting
- a show where the characters power up and fight each other, a la Dragonball Z
- I would like if the show featured a cavalcade of sexy teen girls in skimpy outfits beating the poo poo out of each other over a catchy soundtrack, but it's not a necessity!!
- I like the name "Ryoko", so it would be cool if there was a show with an MC who was a spunky, strong ne'er do well girl named Ryoko who was trying to avenge her father

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Great Lakes Log posted:

On this note, I have been kinda strapped for anime recently. The only new show I've watched in the past year or so has been JoJo's, so in order to get some recs I'll list some stuff I look for in anime

- over the top action. Anime is one of the few remaining forms of media where B-movie style action is utilized and even celebrated, so a show with a sort of throwback 70s or 80s feel would be awesome
- high school students as the main cast, because all of the greats (Haruhi, NGE, Utena etc) start from here. Despite the tired ground, it can often be interesting
- only one season, since again, the best is usually self contained, so the story they tell is more focused and interesting
- a show where the characters power up and fight each other, a la Dragonball Z
- I would like if the show featured a cavalcade of sexy teen girls in skimpy outfits beating the poo poo out of each other over a catchy soundtrack, but it's not a necessity!!
- I like the name "Ryoko", so it would be cool if there was a show with an MC who was a spunky, strong ne'er do well girl named Ryoko who was trying to avenge her father

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like Ping-Pong is what you need to watch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe try Chaika the Coffin Princess

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm not sure if I'm missing a joke but kill la kill is basically that, full stop.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm not sure if I'm missing a joke but kill la kill is basically that, full stop.

He was trolling. :ssh:

In the spirit of getting things back on topic, someone explain and recommend Aria for me. I've seen it constantly ranked high in lists, but never really got what it was about other than taking place in the future and being about gondoliers.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Allarion posted:

Other than taking place in the future and being about gondoliers.

There's nothing else to explain :v:

I like it because it's pretty and relaxed and nothing bad ever happens*. And the soundtrack is great.
You should just watch the first episode. If you don't like it you won't like the rest. And you are dead inside.

*That doesn't get resolved 10 minutes later, anyway.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What's a good comedy series that's like Gintama or Nichibros?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you're down with manga, there's Zai x 10 by the same author as Nichibros and Hinamatsuri.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm down with manga. I guess it's finally time to check out Hinamatsuri. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's a good comedy series that's like Gintama or Nichibros?

The anime adaption of Binbougami/Good Luck Girl was handled by the same staff as those two shows, so that seems like a good first choice.

• Locked thread