Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Galler posted:

CTS-V and Camaro ZL1 are still supercharged.

:doh: For some reason I kept thinking these died off when the new Vette came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

:doh: For some reason I kept thinking these died off when the new Vette came out.

The cts-V did, there is no V based on the new CTS, but the CTS v-sport is turbo'd

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The (old) CTS-V is still being made, though. Or at least there are 2014 CTS-Vs for sale.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also the new Z06 is supercharged, as will (presumably) the proper ZR-1 replacement if it ever materializes.

I was also gonna add the Bugatti Galibier (same engine as the Veyron, but with twin blowers instead of quad turbos), but it looks like they declared that dead last year in favor of the Veyron replacement.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Talk me out of buying a new diesel truck to replace the crown vic, Mazda truck, the outback, and maybe even the fiat. I need something to tow the STi to race tracks soon and I also have needed a truck a lot recently.

I know I should buy an older one for way less but I really like that he new ones are nice inside vs my grandfathers 03 dogde that is cheap as hell feeling and looks like a base neon inside and the mega cab is the only thing I have been as to set the seat in my driving position and be able to sit behind. Also doesn't help that I found that the make them special order in bright orange.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I dunno, I hear some real good things about the latest Ford diesels. Skip the 6.0 and whatever shitpile came after it, but the modern one's supposed to be pretty nice.

... and that's coming from someone who mostly plays with MOPAR legos.

Honestly, however, your best bang/buck is going to be an old 7.3 powerstroke or 90s Dodge Cummins. If you get the dodge, stay the gently caress away from anything with an auto in it unless you enjoy paying to have them rebuilt.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pretty sure all modern 1/2 ton gas trucks are more than capable of towing a STI while costing significantly less and having much cheaper parts. I'm not sure there would even be much if any MPG advantage towing that amount of weight either. Other than that though I love all the modern ridiculous diesel trucks. 440HP and 860lb-ft from the 2015 6.7 Power Stroke :allears:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
For a track taxi? Can you pull an STI behind a Sprinter or Promaster instead?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 2015 powerstroke is 440hp/860ft/lbs, and a reg cab/long box chevy 2500hd with the duramax can do a 13.9 second quarter mile right out of the box.

Not sure if that helps your decision at all

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Hell, can't you tow with the Vic? It probably weighs as much as an older pickup. Excuse to get bigger brakes?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
If this was a manual I would be getting on a plane soon.

http://www.universitydodge.com/new-Miami-2013-Ram-3500-Base-3C63RPLL3DG612218

and I would have the bumpers and such painted like this one when I got back.

http://www.universitydodge.com/new-Miami-2012-Ram-3500-2WD+Mega+Cab+160.5%22+Big+Horn-3C63DPLL1CG347943

I would love this one with out the wheels since it predated the DEF and poo poo that the new ones have. But 10k for wheels and tires lol

I want to get a pretty big enclosed trailer to fit the STi and Exocet and the vic would not be able to do that, the tow dolly and outback was pretty much all it could do with the brakes.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah I was basically just kinda drunken spitballing last night with a buddy, and the idea of a roots blower on my Kia came up. It's probably not the best idea but it's a drat good excuse to learn more about blowers. Also as far as anecdotes of successful roots-on-an-I4 implementations go you've got the Toyota/Lotus/Greddy 2ZZ setups, they make drat good power I've heard (TRD tried a roots package on the 1ZZ as well but it sucked by all accounts thanks to them using the wrong blower and no cooler so it turned out to be a disgustingly inefficient, detonation-causing heatpump). And I know the 5th gen Eatons saw a pretty decent reduction in the parasitic load department (as long as you can find one, they're still far too new a design to be able to just pick one off ebay or a junkyard).
My first idea was actually to just buy an old M62 and air/water from a CSS/IRL and retrofit (they're hilariously cheap since so many people switch to turbos on those).
I'm already committed to a full engine rebuild on the Kia since my timeline didn't allow for a swap to a 'real' truck engine and all the junkyard engines I found were just as worn-out as mine. Since I'm starting with what's effectively a new engine and the Mazda FE is apparently a pretty stout bottom end, I think forced induction of some sort is going to be the ticket for me (or just go ahead and swap the Kia to a v6 or something anyway, and then throw this FE at a Miata :pcgaming:). But I've got lots of time to think about it anyway, I don't think I'll have enough funds to do anything power-wise to this car for at least a year.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 11, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Hell, can't you tow with the Vic? It probably weighs as much as an older pickup. Excuse to get bigger brakes?

Nope, watts link in the rear limits the ability for any significant towing.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

For a track taxi? Can you pull an STI behind a Sprinter or Promaster instead?

Hell, if you're gonna use one of those, why bother with a trailer when you can just put the car in the van? :v:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My downstairs entertainment room is an ongoing work in progress. It's my favorite room in the house, and I love to entertain. We bought a giant couch last year that seats 7-8 comfortably and recently added the ottoman.

Aside from getting the rear speakers elevated more, what should I do next?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bigger tv/projector.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Bigger tv/projector.

The problem is I'm a cheapass. The only item we've really splurged on in our entire house is that ridiculous couch. What should I look for in a lower-priced projector? I also don't mind buying used.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

The problem is I'm a cheapass. The only item we've really splurged on in our entire house is that ridiculous couch. What should I look for in a lower-priced projector? I also don't mind buying used.

What's the distance from the couch to the tv? I have a 70" in my living room and we're at about 14 feet viewing distance and the thing is honestly too big.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

Basically just like buying a TV, get the highest resolution, best contrast/color display you can in your price range. Another consideration with projectors is their lumens, whether you want to be able to watch TV with the lights on or be forced to dim them/turn them off just to see the screen. That may not be as much of an issue anymore, it's been 5 or so years since my dad bought one for his basement theater.

And what Rhyno said, sometimes a bigger screen isn't better.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

What's the distance from the couch to the tv? I have a 70" in my living room and we're at about 14 feet viewing distance and the thing is honestly too big.

10-13ft probably. The 51" we have down there feels fine but I have wall space for more.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

angryhampster posted:

Ahahaha, I have a 99" set up in my living room, and it's waaaay too loving big. Here's a picture I snapped awhile ago, sorry for horrible low-light quality (LG Optimus G)

That being said, Optoma has pretty decent projectors. I'm still rocking an Optoma HD700X, which is only natively 720p and 1700 lumens, but it was an excellent price a few years ago. Definitely go 2400+ lumens if you can for your room size and window placement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holdbrooks posted:

If this was a manual I would be getting on a plane soon.

You probably don't want a manual for towing duty. The d-max/alison combo is really really drat nice.

At least as of a few years ago, manufactures were DOWNRATING towing capacity and sometimes HP/TQ on manuals compared to the same truck in auto. This may or may not still be going on, but really......an LLY or newer d-max/alison is a great towing vehicle. I just wish I liked Chevy interiors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

10-13ft probably. The 51" we have down there feels fine but I have wall space for more.

I have a 50" Samsung DLP I bought like 6 years ago, it's sitting in the bedroom right now and is also too large for that application. When we move it's becoming the office tv and my 30" becomes the bedroom tv. 70" tvs have yet to really have a price break as far as I've seen but there's some incredible deals on 60" sets, go hit a Best Buy and try standing 14' from the tvs and find something you like.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

You probably don't want a manual for towing duty. The d-max/alison combo is really really drat nice.

At least as of a few years ago, manufactures were DOWNRATING towing capacity and sometimes HP/TQ on manuals compared to the same truck in auto. This may or may not still be going on, but really......an LLY or newer d-max/alison is a great towing vehicle. I just wish I liked Chevy interiors.

dodge is the only one still offering a manual, and it's rated at 660ft/lbs, when a truck with the aisin 6 speed auto is rated at 850. It's downrated for good reason as well, as the G56 is aluminum, and twists when you try transmitting torque through it, the standard chrysler autos are still poo poo as well.

I got by just fine towing with a manual in my dually. The first gear is stupidly low to get you started, but that means you miss the bonus of 2 overdrive gears you get with the 6 speed autos

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Have you guys ever shipped anything Greyhound? Apparently they carry packages as well as people; $70 to get a bumper cover here. I'm not sure if they bring it up in the cabin or slide it down in the baggage compartment or what. Kind of worried about the thing getting banged up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Have you guys ever shipped anything Greyhound? Apparently they carry packages as well as people; $70 to get a bumper cover here. I'm not sure if they bring it up in the cabin or slide it down in the baggage compartment or what. Kind of worried about the thing getting banged up.

The stuff is usually thrown under the bus with people's bags. I've had a 220lb roper pump shipped to me through greyhound. and it got to me just fine.

Depending on the route, it could be moved bus to bus a pile of times, which can subject it to abuse if it encounters 1 idiot along the line.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Well I have to change the rear valve cover gasket in the girlfriend's V6 Camry :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

I've used it for swaybars before, worked great. They put it in the bin under the cabin or on a little trailer.

Whenever I've ridden Greyhound the cargo loaders have not been gentle. A bumper cover should be fine if it's wrapped with plastic or some kind of padding and then thrown into a box.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Just adding to the "yep". I had several body panels shipped that way. It's super cheap compared to other methods for bulky stuff if you go terminal to terminal (the shipper drops it off at a bus station and you pick it up at one). And yep, all of my poo poo has come out of the bottom compartments of the bus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We did some key swapping at C&C this morning. The verdict is, the MS6 isn't nearly as powerful as I'd like. I drove cam-swapped G8 today and it rocked my loving socks off. Also got behind the wheel of a California Special Mustang and a V8 Camaro. In the very near future I'm going to have an extra $400 a month, I think it might be time to find my upcoming mid-life crisis mobile.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hrmm, wonder how much I should offer on the bumper cover. Shipping with the seller's packing costs would be $90-$100.

This is the cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251523094614?item=251523094614&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Buying a new one and getting it painted would be about $650 after some negotiating I did.

Sometimes I have a hell of a time figuring out what things are worth to me, except this Bulleit 10 year I'm sipping. Good bourbon is worth every cent.

blk fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 11, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

Hrmm, wonder how much I should offer on the bumper cover. Shipping with the seller's packing costs would be $90-$100.

This is the cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251523094614?item=251523094614&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Buying a new one and getting it painted would be about $650 after some negotiating I did.

Sometimes I have a hell of a time figuring out what things are worth to me, except this Bulleit 10 year I'm sipping. Good bourbon is worth every cent.

Might wanna check on the different years just to make sure the red is consistent all the way through. And if you're spergy the MAZDA decal only came on 1.6 early Miatas.

Also do tell about the Bulleit 10 year, I drink the Bulleit Rye whiskey all the time and it's so smooth.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It's great - woody but not overly so, and the characteristic rye bite of standard Bulleit (their standard bourbon, not just the rye, has a rye bite to it) helps balance things out here. Sweetness, smoke and bite are there in equal measure. Mouthfeel is a little light - I drink most bourbons with a rock or two, this is better neat. A little spendy at $40. My standard sipper is usually Elijah Craig @ $20; it's a little sweeter than I usually drink but so well-made compared to everything else under $40 that it's still a great value.

Edit: watching Wheeler Dealers again and their definition of "adding value" to an FD is to take out the air conditioning and wrap the wheels and spoiler in a snakeskin print. I hate this show; why can't I stop watching?

blk fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 11, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I am currently addicted to FIFA, St Lucia - September, and Mountain Dew Voltage. I haven't slept in 40 hrs.

SEND HELP

and triscuits and more voltage

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

(TCC Postin')

For the first time since before I can remember I feel free from daily anxiety and sort of want to do shrooms again for the first time in ~4 years. Every bad trip I've had before had been ignited by thought loops obsessing over personal issues that are now no longer relevant. I used to love the hell out of some psilocybin and kind of want to revisit and old friend, as it were.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I did shrooms for the first time in a good 10 years awhile back - maybe a year ago?

When someone tells you "these are insanely good. whatever you do, don't eat the entire 1/8th. seriously".... pay attention. I forgot where I was.. who I was.. what day it was.. what year it was.. how old I was... just a complete loss of ego. I was right on the border of "this is loving AWESOME" and "oh fffffffuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkk"; it got pretty hairy for a bit.

Once I started coming back to reality, I realized I'd used the garbage can next to my desk as a urinal. :doh:

Only regret was eating the entire bag in one go; I'm kicking myself for not saving any. I don't ever want to get that far gone again though.

The only genuinely bad trip I've had was on several hits of acid... someone passed me a bong with a fresh bowl. I was an rear end and roasted the entire bowl in one hit; that's when someone said "uh, dude.. that was dro". Being too stoned is bad enough without a head full of LSD along for the ride; I couldn't smoke without getting really anxious for about 3 years after that. I've only dropped acid once since then, and it brought back some of the memories (which is why I haven't done acid in 13 years... well that and it's stupid expensive these days)

So, work chat. Coworker locked her keys in her car - I have AAA, so I had them come out to get her back in (is it bad when they say "oh, are you at <work address> again?" this makes 3 times I've had them come out to unlock a coworker's car in the past year). We'd been closed for a bit by then, and what was just 2 people behind the store turned into about 8 people toking, drinking, and a few dancing in the back of a Honda Ridgeline :psypop: with plenty of loud music. The "OH SHITS" that went out when 2 cops rolled into the parking lot and stopped behind the Ridgeline...

They either didn't smell anything or chose to ignore it (likely ignored), and definitely ignored the open containers in the lot; just asked if we worked there, then flirted a bit with the female staff, and suggested I turn the bass down a bit (I'd volunteered my car for its mighty subwoofer :black101: - but there's a hotel next door). They normally roll through our parking lot late at night anyway, but the parking lot isn't usually full of half drunk, half stoned employees blasting terrible music at midnight. The mexican restaurant at the other end of the lot generally has the same thing going on after close on Fridays and Saturdays, they just close a bit earlier :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just had the most amazing hot dog at a place called Moreno's Mexican Grill in Mesa. I normally don't even like hot dogs, but we were close to this place, and my medic partner said we should stop there before the next call and pick one up. It was life changing. I guess it's called a Sonora-style or Sonoran hot dog? I don't know. All I do know is that it had bacon pieces, was wet and mushy and difficult to eat, and came with a grilled whole pepper.

I kind of wish I wasn't in the National Guard, because then I could :350: and do it again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I should have watched Eurovision last night :stare::fh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The whole "we're dressing them up like twin sisters" bit is a bit :barf: - I wouldn't want to be involved with two brothers, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

dodge is the only one still offering a manual, and it's rated at 660ft/lbs, when a truck with the aisin 6 speed auto is rated at 850. It's downrated for good reason as well, as the G56 is aluminum, and twists when you try transmitting torque through it, the standard chrysler autos are still poo poo as well.

I got by just fine towing with a manual in my dually. The first gear is stupidly low to get you started, but that means you miss the bonus of 2 overdrive gears you get with the 6 speed autos

Wait, they switched to an aisin unit? No further objections... I have been impressed by the durability of every aisin transmission I have ever used.

E: upon opening my windows I was greeted by a most unpleasant sound... if my brother ever has kids, I am buying them a recorder for sure. :unsmigghh:

(And no recorders shall ever be permitted in my house. For any reason.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 11, 2014

• Locked thread