Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

So I have to wonder what happened to Mother Winter's walking stick.

Has it been officially denied that McCoy's Blackstaff is her walking stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Xtanstic posted:

Not that I can find, but c'mon. It's the Blackstaff. But, thinking about it... Mother Winter is surprised to find it missing, and I don't think she's senile, so she may have been legitimately surprised. McCoy can summon the thing. McCoy may well have been up to something when Mother Winter went looking for it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

So I have to wonder what happened to Mother Winter's walking stick.

All we know is it isn't the black staff. That revelation blew up a whole library's worth if theories.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Yes. The black staff belonged to some Celtic legend baddie whose name escapes me now. Mother winters staff is MIA, unless the Celtic legend stole it from her

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Am I the only one a little disappointed about that fanmade trailer not having Harry wearing a hat?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Am I the only one a little disappointed about that fanmade trailer not having Harry wearing a hat?

He would only wear it in the posters, not the actual movie :v:

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I thought the blackstaff was stolen. It's just mother winter is ancient and hundreds of years isn't really that long to her.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Where exactly did we find out that the blackstaff wasn't Mother Winter's walking stick? That seems like such a slam dunk connection.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wittgen posted:

Where exactly did we find out that the blackstaff wasn't Mother Winter's walking stick? That seems like such a slam dunk connection.

It hasn't been confirmed, it's something that seems like a likely connection but it could also just be a red herring.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I know it isn't confirmed in the positive. Fried Chicken said it was confirmed in the negative. That is to say, we know it's a red herring. I'm curious where that's coming from.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

packsmack posted:

I thought the blackstaff was stolen. It's just mother winter is ancient and hundreds of years isn't really that long to her.

Wittgen posted:

Arcsech posted:

It hasn't been confirmed, it's something that seems like a likely connection but it could also just be a red herring.

It was said at a signing event apparently, and reported here

Tunicate posted:

Okay, it was a signing question. Jim told him that if the fan wanted to figure the blackstaff out, to look at Celtic lore around 1065 AD.

That kind of implies that it isn't something made out of whole cloth.

Fanspec puts it as the staff of Dagda
"This great staff that thou seest,’ said he, ‘has a smooth end and a rough end. One end slays the living, and the other end brings the dead to life.’"

In myth it was loaned away by the original owner. And by loaned I mean stolen.

Dagda was part of the Tuatha Dé Danann, the group responsible for expelling the Formor. So there's a huge link. The staff could kill a great many in one blow, like we saw McCoy do.

Apparently Dagda was also known as "the All-Father", for those keeping track of weird links, and he slept with the "Great Queen" Mórrígan on Samhain to gain the power to defeat his foes, as the coincidences keep stacking up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dagda

Edit: He also had a penis so big it dragged on the ground, but that's neither here nor there.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 11, 2014

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I don't see how any of that even comes close from precludeing the blackstaff from being mother winter's walking stick? It's been a while since I read tho books, but the Mothers are practically gods who don't really care about this whole time nonsense nearly as much as mortals. The original blackstaff (Merlin?) stole it and it has been passed down since. Or it could be Odin stole it originally and it somehow made its way to the white council. Odin is willing to have dealings with mortals as seen through Marcone and him giving some wink wink nudge nudge hints to Dresden.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

packsmack posted:

I don't see how any of that even comes close from precludeing the blackstaff from being mother winter's walking stick? It's been a while since I read tho books, but the Mothers are practically gods who don't really care about this whole time nonsense nearly as much as mortals. The original blackstaff (Merlin?) stole it and it has been passed down since. Or it could be Odin stole it originally and it somehow made its way to the white council. Odin is willing to have dealings with mortals as seen through Marcone and him giving some wink wink nudge nudge hints to Dresden.

Clearly you know the backstory better than Jim Butcher. Give him a call, and tell him to correct what he is saying at signing events.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Clearly you know the backstory better than Jim Butcher. Give him a call, and tell him to correct what he is saying at signing events.

I'm not seeing where Butcher said, "It's not Mother Winter's walking stick." That story doesn't preclude this. It even introduces the possibility of "Mórrígan" being another name for Mother Winter.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Huh. Cool information. It's definitely possible that the staff was stolen from Mother Winter 1000 years ago and passed on since. I wouldn't put it past Butcher to give such a clever misdirection at a signing, and fairies definitely have a Celtic influence in general.

Interesting that the staff in the myth both gives and takes life. That kind of fits the summer/winter duality.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

apostateCourier posted:

I'm not seeing where Butcher said, "It's not Mother Winter's walking stick." That story doesn't preclude this. It even introduces the possibility of "Mórrígan" being another name for Mother Winter.

The Morrigan appears as both young and old. She is either one of three sisters or is herself three goddesses. One of the three is Nemain who's name has links to Nemesis.

It's possible that the Morrigan is either a third aspect. Nemesis. The enemy. The third sister to Summer and Winter. With three aspects to herself, a Crone, a Queen and a Lady. Or it's possible that Morrigan is the name that Mother Winter and Mother Soldier share, that they were glad Dresden missed. Again that would suggest a third, Nemesis aspect. The whole Nemesis / outsiders thing would make sense if it was a third court, or at least once was and is now what remains. If Nemesis isn't just the series enemy but also a mirror to Mab and Titania.

Probably just a crackpot theory though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Bumped into a pretty good urban fantasy debut : Damoren by Seth Skorkowsky (quite the mouthful). It's about demon hunters who hunt down every possible flavor of supernatural creature, as they're all really just different variations of demon - if a demon bites or infects you in some other way depending on the species, at any point from then on it can abandon it's current body and hop into yours and eat your soul. Killing one of them just causes them to leave their body and hop into another, and if you kill all their bodies they still won't die and will just possess someone who wanders too close. The only things that can kill them for good are holy weapons (like the titular Damoren) that sort of end up becoming spontaneously holy - at random (very rarely) a weapon of great spiritual or personal significance, usually the kind painstakingly crafted by hand, or treasured personal possession, can become a holy weapon, and the people attached to them become utterly obsessed with them and compelled to hunt down and kill demons with them. If the owner dies, someone appropriate to the weapon will eventually wander by and become obsessed with the weapon and pick it up and become the new owner.

It's a pretty good book and has a potential to be an interesting series - I admit I'm rather curious about the rather curious relationship between the weapons and the demons they kill. It's a good read for people looking for someting to tide them over while waiting for Skin Game. (Though the sequel to London Falling is coming out on the 15th, which I'm excited for too).

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 12, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wolpertinger posted:

(Though the sequel to Fallen London is coming out on the 15th, which I'm excited for too).

Do you mean London Falling?

Because that was pretty good.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you mean London Falling?

Because that was pretty good.

Yeah, whoops.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Wolpertinger posted:

Bumped into a pretty good urban fantasy debut : Damoren by Seth Skorkowsky

Going to give this a go, looks good. Also PC Grant book 5 is available for pre-release now. Has a date of September 15th.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Heads up, Audible has an "underrated" gems sale on atm, for $4.00, which has series favourite twenty palaces book 1 on there, if you're like me and haven't picked it up yet.

http://www.audible.com/mt/HGMAY14/?source_code=AUDOREM04241499FF

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Heads up, Audible has an "underrated" gems sale on atm, for $4.00, which has series favourite twenty palaces book 1 on there, if you're like me and haven't picked it up yet.

http://www.audible.com/mt/HGMAY14/?source_code=AUDOREM04241499FF

Are you saying we should check out the novel: Child of Fire: A Twenty Palaces Novel, Book 1

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Exmond posted:

Are you saying we should check out the novel: Child of Fire: A Twenty Palaces Novel, Book 1

Yes, but read the prequel first.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just finished my pre-Skin Game reread. So what's the deal with keeping Bob a secret? He's dangerous in the wrong hands, the White Council deems him super dangerous and Mab wants to kill him. However given that, it's surprising that Karrin, Thomas, Butters and Andi know about him, but McCoy, Lucci and Molly don't know about him. Lea probably knows and so does Mab given what happens in Cold Days.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

Just finished my pre-Skin Game reread. So what's the deal with keeping Bob a secret? He's dangerous in the wrong hands, the White Council deems him super dangerous and Mab wants to kill him. However given that, it's surprising that Karrin, Thomas, Butters and Andi know about him, but McCoy, Lucci and Molly don't know about him. Lea probably knows and so does Mab given what happens in Cold Days.

Karrin, Thomas, Butters and Andi are not "the man," but McCoy and Luccio are. However much they like Dresden they would feel a massive obligation to report Bob's existence.

Molly is a special case, since Dresden considers her to be a free wheeler with little self control and less patients, so obviously it would be a potential disaster if she got access to Bob. The irony in this line of thinking has so far failed to register with Harry.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Oh man, I didn't get that irony until just now. Although Dresden didn't really get that Bob had a darker side until Dead Beat.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

packsmack posted:

Oh man, I didn't get that irony until just now. Although Dresden didn't really get that Bob had a darker side until Dead Beat.

It's one of the signs that no matter how campy he is, Butcher isn't actually a hack, dude has chops. When he writes in the first person he limits the perspective like you ought to. Dresden is smart, quick witted and preceptive, but he isn't perfect, and he isn't terribly introspective. A lot of the stuff he misses is in regard to himself, and since he's our only perspective point it's not uncommon for the reader to miss it too unless they're paying close attention.

A lot of people mistake this for the unreliable narrator, but it isn't. Harry isn't trying to lie to us, he just doesn't know everything. It's just that a lot of genre fiction is so devoid of properly employed perspective that many people don't actually know what it is when they see it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is the reason I can enjoy Dresen despite having problems with the character sometimes. I don't feel like the writing is expecting me to 100% sympathize or support Dresden's actions even when he is doing it himself.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hrm, looks like chapter 4 got some editing since he read it at the event. New context on the parasite, makes it sound much less pleasant than before

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

A lot of people mistake this for the unreliable narrator, but it isn't. Harry isn't trying to lie to us, he just doesn't know everything. It's just that a lot of genre fiction is so devoid of properly employed perspective that many people don't actually know what it is when they see it.

What's the name for it then, because I was taught that it was still the unreliable narrator even if the narrator wasn't intentionally misrepresenting things

Edit: I should add that this particular English teacher was the worst teacher I had in my life, so I wouldn't be surprised it was wrong

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 13, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

What's the name for it then, because I was taught that it was still the unreliable narrator even if the narrator wasn't intentionally misrepresenting things

I think it's more just having a non-omniscient narrator who has opinions about things. An unreliable narrator is when the perspective of the narrator is either lying to you or deliberately describing events in a manner intended for you to misinterpret, or one that is compromised in some way, like insanity, possession, self-delusion, mind control, whatever. All human perspectives should be by definition at least a little bit unreliable, but it's only an 'unreliable narrator' when it's significantly more unreliable than you would reasonably expect from human error from a normal somewhat sane human being.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 13, 2014

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Wolpertinger posted:

Bumped into a pretty good urban fantasy debut : Damoren by Seth Skorkowsky (quite the mouthful). It's about demon hunters who hunt down every possible flavor of supernatural creature, as they're all really just different variations of demon - if a demon bites or infects you in some other way depending on the species, at any point from then on it can abandon it's current body and hop into yours and eat your soul. Killing one of them just causes them to leave their body and hop into another, and if you kill all their bodies they still won't die and will just possess someone who wanders too close. The only things that can kill them for good are holy weapons (like the titular Damoren) that sort of end up becoming spontaneously holy - at random (very rarely) a weapon of great spiritual or personal significance, usually the kind painstakingly crafted by hand, or treasured personal possession, can become a holy weapon, and the people attached to them become utterly obsessed with them and compelled to hunt down and kill demons with them. If the owner dies, someone appropriate to the weapon will eventually wander by and become obsessed with the weapon and pick it up and become the new owner.

It's a pretty good book and has a potential to be an interesting series - I admit I'm rather curious about the rather curious relationship between the weapons and the demons they kill. It's a good read for people looking for someting to tide them over while waiting for Skin Game. (Though the sequel to London Falling is coming out on the 15th, which I'm excited for too).

Read half of this last night -- I dig it.

Interesting universe. Much more of a Western feel than a Noir feel like Dresden, but good.

Ridiculously short though - Iron Druid sized, I'd say.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

EVGA Longoria posted:

Read half of this last night -- I dig it.

Interesting universe. Much more of a Western feel than a Noir feel like Dresden, but good.

Ridiculously short though - Iron Druid sized, I'd say.

The style reminds me somewhat of K.A. Stewart's A Devil in the Details which is another series I've enjoyed a pretty good amount.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Friend of mine asked me to find out some numbers about the Dresden series and I thought I'd share.

"Hell's Bells" is said 115 times.
"What?" is said 159 times.
"I blinked" is said 45 times.
"I demanded" is said 40 times.
"I frowned" is said 70 times.

I've still got it set up to do the statistics, so if there's anything you wanted to know I'll take a crack at it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Fuego.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Also just the word 'fire'.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
"Good People"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Friend of mine asked me to find out some numbers about the Dresden series and I thought I'd share.

"Hell's Bells" is said 115 times.
"What?" is said 159 times.
"I blinked" is said 45 times.
"I demanded" is said 40 times.
"I frowned" is said 70 times.

I've still got it set up to do the statistics, so if there's anything you wanted to know I'll take a crack at it.

<pronoun> sneered

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I wonder if there's significance to the exact wording Mab uses at the end of Chapter 4 of Skin Game. Faeries can be quite literal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Time to sperg about chapter 4! Skin Game spoilers, obviously.

I'm trying to look for holes and misdirection in what Mab said about the parasite because she's, well, Mab.

“The parasite,” Mab said. “When it kills you and emerges, it will seek out everyone you know. Everyone you love. And it will utterly destroy them—starting with one child in particular.”

Seems pretty ominous.

“Not from this,” Mab said, her tone remote. “Not from a being created of your own essence, just as she is. Your death will bring a deadly creature into the world, my Knight—one who knows all that you know of your allies. Lovers. Family.”

A-ha! The game is afoot. Seems like the parasite murderpalooza hinges on Harry actually dying to it. But what if, say, said creature were to emerge without Harry dying, as stated in the "gonna bust outta his head like he's Zeus" theory? Now Mab hasn't spoken a lie, but has conveniently manipulated Harry once again!

#lash2014

Also “I expect you to skin them alive.” :hellyeah:

• Locked thread