Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

fffffffffffffffucking horseshit.

Sigh. I guess they are't...BAD. They just aren't fun either.

Play multiplayer and throw someone else on the pad so they can do the touch screen stuff while you continue hopping and bopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
My lonely lifestyle ill lends to such endeavors.

Why is it that every single Ubisoft game I play seems to be stuffed full of unneeded extra features? I feel like Rayman Legends is incredibly rudderless--perhaps emphasized by the fact that it wisely chose to include its better predecessor in its data as bonus levels, and there's all this...stuff...like scratch cards and these Murphy levels...it's clearly a launch title game meant to take advantage of the Wii U--which makes me wonder how it plays on other consoles--but none of it feels necessary for a sequel to Origins, a game I rank as among the finest, if not THE finest platformer ever made.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the Murphy levels are really fun and make for a nice bit of variety.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Will be showing NFC figurines/games at E3; they're being referred to as "NFP" (Near-Field Product) and will be character-themed figurines that can carry save data across multiple games. Will work natively on Wii U and will also be made available for 3DS via an IR NFC reader.

So memory cards are back and in the shape of Mario? Well, it'll be decent not to worry on friends not having everything on MK8 when they finally get Wii Us.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So memory cards are back and in the shape of Mario? Well, it'll be decent not to worry on friends not having everything on MK8 when they finally get Wii Us.

They're going to be Skylanders-type figures used in multiple games which save and transfer data across the games.

Also while I was at Gamestop today I asked the guy if there was any DLC for Mario Kart 8 and after looking at the computer he said there was but you couldn't pre-order it yet. Went to another Gamestop and asked and got pretty much the same answer. Is there any chatter anywhere about Mario Kart 8 DLC?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yo, just how many loving Murphy levels are in this Rayman Legends game? I came here to hop and bop not tap poo poo and rub a screen. I thought these were supposed to be some kind of weird musical choreography levels anyway?

Just ignore the Murphy levels if you don't want to play them. They don't affect unlocking stages, and you'll get more than enough teensies off the regular levels to unlock everything. The rhythm levels are unlocked after each world boss.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the Murphy levels are really fun and make for a nice bit of variety.

Playing it with the wife is great.
:sparkles: "Why didn't you stop that fire ball?"
:byodood: "Why didn't you stay still for a moment longer?!"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

My lonely lifestyle ill lends to such endeavors.

Why is it that every single Ubisoft game I play seems to be stuffed full of unneeded extra features? I feel like Rayman Legends is incredibly rudderless--perhaps emphasized by the fact that it wisely chose to include its better predecessor in its data as bonus levels, and there's all this...stuff...like scratch cards and these Murphy levels...it's clearly a launch title game meant to take advantage of the Wii U--which makes me wonder how it plays on other consoles--but none of it feels necessary for a sequel to Origins, a game I rank as among the finest, if not THE finest platformer ever made.

I really enjoyed the Murfy levels. I played the Vita version where they are entirely touch screen levels and the fat character runs through by himself. They are really clever, well-designed and fun. It doesn't strike me as a gimmick at all, they are a bit like a really high quality iOS game. Nice variety and a good complement to the proper levels.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The couple of Murfy levels where the AI character moves at a decent clip are pretty fun. That's only, like, one character unlock level and the daily challenges though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Admittedly, of the Murphy levels, my favourites are the ones where, instead of simply flicking across a relevant part of the screen to activate something, you actually get to carve out the path, whether its erasing part of the candy level, or creating the weird... gel, thing, to block and proceed past lava. That makes them playable in a fashion that can't really be replicated on the other major consoles, and it gives you more freedom than you'd think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Astro Nut posted:

Admittedly, of the Murphy levels, my favourites are the ones where, instead of simply flicking across a relevant part of the screen to activate something, you actually get to carve out the path, whether its erasing part of the candy level, or creating the weird... gel, thing, to block and proceed past lava. That makes them playable in a fashion that can't really be replicated on the other major consoles, and it gives you more freedom than you'd think.

That's guacamole you're spreading on chips to block molten nacho cheese.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czOjP-jaQc

Quick boot menu is coming in the summer update, lets you start one of the 10 most recent apps without having to wait for the main dashboard to load.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

njsykora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czOjP-jaQc

Quick boot menu is coming in the summer update, lets you start one of the 10 most recent apps without having to wait for the main dashboard to load.

Good to see that it's awning on at least on of these companies that people generally want to use their systems to play games and not admire their bloated, garish GUIs for as long as possible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

Yeah, I mean, they're kind of growing on me. I suppose I'm just surprised at how MANY of them there are. The whole game feels less like a sequel to an amazing game and more like a "let's use up assets we never got to use previously." The original game didn't leave me thinking "you know, I'd love to have all of the platforming done by somebody else while I tap things and erase paths. Also I have limited control over my character so if I don't get this hidden thing in the exact way the developers intended then I'll never get it."

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Murphy levels own get some drat friends or invite a significant other to play. Nothing is better than 2 peeps being in sync while blazing though a level.

Yeah, I mean, they're kind of growing on me. I suppose I'm just surprised at how MANY of them there are. The whole game feels less like a sequel to an amazing game and more like a "let's use up assets we never got to use previously." The original game didn't leave me thinking "you know, I'd love to have all of the platforming done by somebody else while I tap things and erase paths. Also I have limited control over my character so if I don't get this hidden thing in the exact way the developers intended then I'll never get it."

Are you a literal hermit?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 8, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm really getting annoyed with launch dates on Friday. If I want to preorder a game online, I won't get it until 4-5 days after launch because delivery takes at least 3 work days and that excludes the weekend.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Are you a literal hermit?

I may as well be. I'm surrounded by horrid people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm really getting annoyed with launch dates on Friday. If I want to preorder a game online, I won't get it until 4-5 days after launch because delivery takes at least 3 work days and that excludes the weekend.

Amazon (at least in the US) offers release set delivery on a lot of stuff. Even if it's not specifically mentioned, I generally get Friday-releasing stuff on the Friday.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

Amazon (at least in the US) offers release set delivery on a lot of stuff. Even if it's not specifically mentioned, I generally get Friday-releasing stuff on the Friday.

Yeah Amazon does this in Europe too, GAME as well if you're in the UK

Also both of them sometimes send stuff out too early and you can end up getting the game a few days early if you're lucky.

Oh well that sucks, my bad
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 8, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah Amazon does this in Europe too, GAME as well if you're in the UK

Also both of them sometimes send stuff out too early and you can end up getting the game a few days early if you're lucky.

Must not be my Europe because I've never gotten a game on launch once. I preordered Mario Kart 8 an hour ago and the ETA was March 31 to June 3.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Every game I've preordered from Game arrived a day before release, Amazon however is terrible unless you preorder months ahead, I preordered Ni No Kuni from there a month before release and got an estimated delivery of about 2 months after it came out. ShopTo generally aim for Wednesday deliveries of new stuff which actually got them in trouble with Activision over a Call of Duty release if I remember right.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

I may as well be. I'm surrounded by horrid people.

u sound like a huge piece of poo poo :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Must not be my Europe because I've never gotten a game on launch once. I preordered Mario Kart 8 an hour ago and the ETA was March 31 to June 3.

Do you have a local store from which you can preorder?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you have a local store from which you can preorder?

I'd do that but I really want that limited edition steel case, and that's an Amazon exclusive. Plus that place has been known to miss releases.
Maybe I'll buy the game for the weekend and return it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Klewer posted:

What a huge piece of poo poo this guy is for having some parts of Rayman Legends rub him the wrong way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I'd do that but I really want that limited edition steel case, and that's an Amazon exclusive. Plus that place has been known to miss releases.
Maybe I'll buy the game for the weekend and return it?

If the box is more important than the game, just order from Amazon and possibly wait a couple days.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Klewer posted:

Thanks, that really gave me the boost I needed to get through the evening.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Refurbished 32GB Deluxes w/ Nintendo Land are up for $200 on Nintendo's store.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Also they pulled the expanded battery for the Gamepad from the store.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh...super glad I got it when I did, then.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Elliotw2 posted:

Also they pulled the expanded battery for the Gamepad from the store.

That's a shame. It always looked like it was out of stock whenever I checked it. Might have to import it if possible, or wait to see if they offer them again.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Expanded battery + uboost is awesome.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Lizard Wizard posted:

What a huge piece of poo poo this guy is for having some parts of Rayman Legends rub him the wrong way.

Listen, man. Video games are serious business. We don't take kindly to those there OPINIONS 'round these parts.

Topkill
Dec 1, 2006

You see, the heart of murder is through the heart.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Refurbished 32GB Deluxes w/ Nintendo Land are up for $200 on Nintendo's store.

This deal and the whole buy Mario Kart get a game deal finally got me to pull the trigger on buying a Wii-U. From what I hear, Nintendo refurbs are really good quality. It was either this or the Mario Kart Bundle, but I don't need another wiimote or a useless plastic steering wheel.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Topkill posted:

This deal and the whole buy Mario Kart get a game deal finally got me to pull the trigger on buying a Wii-U. From what I hear, Nintendo refurbs are really good quality. It was either this or the Mario Kart Bundle, but I don't need another wiimote or a useless plastic steering wheel.
I also got this and the system works great. No complaints whatsoever.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Topkill posted:

They're really good, it is what I decided to get. Everything looked completely new, even if it wasn't. I suggest paying the extra shipping costs to get it much faster, unless time is of no consequence. I had an issue during installation that wasn't readily apparent to me, and customer service was really nice and fast, and I think the customer service rep. gave me club nintendo coins for the Wii U, even though I don't think it was supposed to get them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks, that really gave me the boost I needed to get through the evening.

Hey buddy, you have a good day. It's fine to think the Murphy parts are annoying (the early ones are terrible) and there's nothin' wrong with that.

:shobon:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Bah. One of the eShop games I was looking forward to - Armillo - was pushed back again, three days from the expected release. On the bright side, it'll be getting a temporary price drop when it drops.

Speaking of eShop games I'm looking forward to, if anyone else is interested in the Wii U update to Art of Balance coming somewhat soon, you should totally check these articles out. The screenshots are gorgeous, and the developer insight is fun to read.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I've been considering getting a Wii U after getting a new monitor this month. I was wondering if there are currently any deals / upcoming deals on the console? I already know about the MK8 and free game offer.

I'm probably going for the premium console as well. I'm aware that I can get a good external hard drive for the system, but I like the little extras, the game, and the eshop bonus vs paying that much for an extra hard drive I won't fill or use for anything else.

Right now I'm thinking ZombiU (I know it has boring melee and combat but still love the idea), 3d world, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, and the mk8 deal.

If there's no great deal on the console, should I just grab a refurb from Nintendo? I recall seeing some goon mention they were pretty good quality and he couldn't tell the difference at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

MaxDuo posted:

I've been considering getting a Wii U after getting a new monitor this month. I was wondering if there are currently any deals / upcoming deals on the console? I already know about the MK8 and free game offer.

I'm probably going for the premium console as well. I'm aware that I can get a good external hard drive for the system, but I like the little extras, the game, and the eshop bonus vs paying that much for an extra hard drive I won't fill or use for anything else.

Right now I'm thinking ZombiU (I know it has boring melee and combat but still love the idea), 3d world, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, and the mk8 deal.

If there's no great deal on the console, should I just grab a refurb from Nintendo? I recall seeing some goon mention they were pretty good quality and he couldn't tell the difference at one point.

Zombi U is probably the best game on the system which isn't a knock against Donkey Kong or 3D World because those are amazing also, but Zombi U is goddamned perfect and the somewhat negative to mediocre reviews are dumb and wrong

• Locked thread