Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

A misunderstanding. It was all a loving misunderstanding. Hahaha. Oh this is great. Oh this is fantastic. "I caused the school to be invaded by terrorists over a misunderstanding" Excellent.
I want to see how the author tops this. This is the laziest loving way to resolve a subplot. And yet...I get the feeling I'm going to be wrong :unsmigghh:

And we get a shot of Miyuki's imagination spot where she and Tatsuya are naked. Greeeeeeaaat.

EDIT:Oh man this author just doesn't let up. It's not over until the one who is wrong is reduced to tears and begging Tatsuya the Seer of Planes for forgiveness.

Instead of saying a lot of words I'll just say: lmao, this lovely right-wing author is bad at stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
I almost want to pick this back up.
Almost.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
aaaaaaand I'm back in.

Okay, there's nothing like "Be kind, she was easy prey for terrorists to convince her to join them." to just be so laughably insane I have to watch it.

Also, why is melee even a part of the terrorists attack plans? Shouldn't .50 cal snipers just start headshotting every mage they see? Why even have batons if you have no magic power? Just loving shoot the students when they come charging at you.

Oh, of course the misguided terrorist sympathizer is disillusioned by the plans of the actual terrorists. Why else would a pure Japanese like herself help them?

"If there was a world of equality, we'd all be equally snubbed"........ahahahahahaha are you loving kidding? Man, if this show keeps this up it'll become the best awful anime I've seen in a while.

I was ready to give up this show entirely, but if the next episode tops this then I'm in for the long haul.

Wait, why is there a magic ring that can prevent anyone from casting magic? Shouldn't that have serious ramifications for the effectiveness of magical combat? OH WAIT SHE TAKES IT OFF TO DUEL HONORABLY. and.....instantly loses.

And the second guy to use it.....gets loving knocked out with an elbow blow.

Poor little haram member, seduced into joining a terrorist organization by her ~senpai~ because she was rejected by a course 1 student/ BUT WAIT THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED IT WAS THE REVERSE! The course 1 member was trying to praise her!.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! MY BAD FOR HATING YOU FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR AND HELPING AN ARMED GROUP ATTACK THE SCHOOL WITH ROCKETS, GUNS, KNIVES, AND INSIDER TRAITORS!

So, I'm guessing Tatsuya will murder the poo poo out of a few hundred/thousand Blanche members, be praised as a hero, and the rest of Blanche scowling furiously at images of him for daring to stop their plans to destroy Japan.

Holy gently caress, it keeps getting better. "Her pure traditional sword style must have been corrupted by outsiders. Even though I tried to beat her into the ground during a friendly duel and relentlessly mocked her I truly appreciate her honorable ways. Let me help in this crisis!".

This episode was literally the best payoff possible for the last 5 mediocre shitpiles the preceded it. Everything about it was just so over the top and blatant "our pure Japanese ways are better" that I cannot wait for the followup to laugh at.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The rings are devices created using that ultra-rare material that can generate antimagic fields that was mentioned earlier. Why Blanche was willing to commit dozens of those to the attack but only one gun is a mystery I can't recall if they ever explain or not.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 11, 2014

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Probably because then the attack would have worked.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A lot of interesting arguments on the last page. For the people still thinking that this isn't like telling the disadvantaged to bootstrap or w/e, replace the word "bloom" with "white" and "weed" with the n-word and you'll see where people are coming from with the whole discrimination thing.

quote:

Poor little haram member, seduced into joining a terrorist organization by her ~senpai~ because she was rejected by a course 1 student/ BUT WAIT THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED IT WAS THE REVERSE! The course 1 member was trying to praise her!.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! MY BAD FOR HATING YOU FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR AND HELPING AN ARMED GROUP ATTACK THE SCHOOL WITH ROCKETS, GUNS, KNIVES, AND INSIDER TRAITORS!

It gets worse. It turns out that the leader of this lot of terrorists had the power of super-hypnotism (which is naturally useless against tatsuya) so she's not to blame for any of her actions at all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Don't forget Miyuki's "So long as at least one person appreciates you for whatever quality you have, it's perfectly fine. Even if it's a superficial one like beauty. Take my brother for example; even if people still hated him, he would be great because I love him!"

I don't have an :ironicat: big enough for this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Kenjutsu leader suddenly being a good guy is weird. His whole character just does a 180. I will point out that Erika is from a famous family but still Course 2, though.

SSNeoman posted:

Don't forget Miyuki's "So long as at least one person appreciates you for whatever quality you have, it's perfectly fine. Even if it's a superficial one like beauty. Take my brother for example; even if people still hated him, he would be great because I love him!"

The point of that speech is that even if you don't excel in one area, you have other things.

Namtab posted:

A lot of interesting arguments on the last page. For the people still thinking that this isn't like telling the disadvantaged to bootstrap or w/e, replace the word "bloom" with "white" and "weed" with the n-word and you'll see where people are coming from with the whole discrimination thing.

But the Bloom/Weed thing is a bad thing within the series, everyone is against it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Only his sister could commit heresy by implying that he is anything less than absolutely perfect, even in a completely hypothetical question. I imagine anyone else would get dunked on :v: (Or be a gigantic strawman bigger than the strawmen we've seen already, of course)

Talvos
Mar 21, 2005
Ok, I think I've had enough. This series is actually popular? ...reallllllly? The sister-love is so un-ironic that only explanation is the writer has never met a pair of siblings. Also, what is the theme of this show? "It's okay to not be the best as long as you are actually the best"? How is there any discrimination at all when attacking a mage school with batons is a viable option? Are we sure the terrorists don't feel bad for them and decided to give them a handicap? Why are so many of the students engaged in combat? Why is this elaborate plan in such a deadlock outside? Why, with all of this going on, is this show so boring!?

Side note: Why are so many anime set in high school when they use lines like "No, you can't take out the terrorist base by yourself! We'll come with you!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The Kenjutsu leader suddenly being a good guy is weird. His whole character just does a 180. I will point out that Erika is from a famous family but still Course 2, though.

The point of that speech is that even if you don't excel in one area, you have other things.

But the Bloom/Weed thing is a bad thing within the series, everyone is against it.

Ah, but recall that Erika is a bastard. She isn't a thoroughbred, and as such her magic ability is inferior. Since magic has been equated with value to society and magical talent breeds true, you could say that Erika is worth less because she is mixed race. So there you go, an argument against miscegenation based on hard evidence. Of course, in this case it is super japanese and regular (but still superior to those dirty gaijins) japanese.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Magic doesn't equal value to society, magic is just valuable to society.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Magic doesn't equal value to society, magic is just valuable to society.

Wrong.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Of all the things that made no sense, that was top 3. All of a sudden it turns out he admired her pure traditional sword style so much he couldn't help himself but to violently attack her in a fit of rage, and the only reason someone with such pure Japanese swordsmanship would do such a thing is because she(he literally says "her sword") was corrupted by outsiders.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

10 pages later and WickedHate is still trying to defend the series?
Just turn your brain off and watch the pretty colours, people :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HiveCommander posted:

10 pages later and WickedHate is still trying to defend the series?

I still like it. :colbert:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

And I like that you like it!

Your posts are leagues more entertaining than the actual series.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
goatman was here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 12, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cool post, except you broke some tables bro :waycool:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Gerty posted:

goatman was here

was

Traveller posted:

And I like that you like it!

Your posts are leagues more entertaining than the actual series.

This guy gets it.
I'm unironically enjoying it, but it's already established that I have poo poo taste in anime and I find the right-wing slant to be kinda amusing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't hate this show, it's just not a good show. Like the one guy said, it's so bad it's interesting.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
It seems to me that LN love their godly protagonists. On top of this there is Chrome Shelled Regios (It's horrible because the main character is the biggest angst lord there is despite being potentially one of the strongest people alive, and it also has the harem angle as well), Id and Rain (both of which I like due to their more fantasy like setting and because both characters are actually funny).

As others have said it's not a great show/LN but it's ok to read for things you enjoy while blending out the things you dislike (or well tolerate them). Now mean spirited people would potentially call it the Twilight of LN or something in that it sells really well despite it's shortcomings.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since when is Id a LN?

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

CVE posted:

Now mean spirited people would potentially call it the Twilight of LN or something in that it sells really well despite it's shortcomings.

I'd already started comparing Mahouka to Twilight due to the bland personality of the protagonist. I guess that makes me mean spirited :(

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

uuuummm posted:

I'd already started comparing Mahouka to Twilight due to the bland personality of the protagonist. I guess that makes me mean spirited :(

Not a bad comparison at all, Tatsuya can pull off a few more expressions than Kirsten Stewart though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Twilight? Now that's a low blow.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I agree, don't be rude to Twilight now :ohdear:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least Bella wasn't in love with her brother.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

At least Bella wasn't in love with her brother.

And Twilight was still worse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For as (intentionally) bland as Bella is, she actually had moments where she was portrayed as less than absolutely perfect :v:

Plus everything Edward's actor says about those movies is hilarious.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"An absolutely pure and wonderful teenage girl is in love with a perfect, brooding, invincible teenage (for all intents and purposes) guy. They try to go through life while facing supernatural dangers that threaten their existence. None of these dangers are much of a problem due to plotline-related stupidity. The guy and girl remain pure as the driven snow for at least most of the series, daring to show affection only at times of extreme crisis due to the author's beliefs and lack of writing skill"

Yeah, you can make a case for it. If so, the "book 4" of this series promises to be pretty wiiiiiiiiiilllllllllld. I'm talking Paranoia Agent levels of insanity. :magical:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Irregular at Magic High School: Worse than twilight???

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Twilight has brought forth lots of unintentional hilarity, while this anime is the most joyless, dull anime I've ever seen. And both push forth some really horrible messages.

I can certainly agree with that as a new title at any rate.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
People keep bringing up race as the main thing in discrimination, but I don't think that makes much sense given the context for a work from a very mono-ethnic society about a high-stakes educational system. From what I understand the Japanese job market tends to be extremely centered around educational pedigree, and getting into the right school/program is far more determinative of where you end up in the social hierarchy than it is in the West (not to say that it's irrelevant in the West, but if you end up demonstrating talent or success outside of the educational system people won't really care about the school you went to). Furthermore, once you get on a certain "track" of schools, it's harder to switch to a better one because the reputation of the school you previously went to weighs you down, and on the other side some "escalator" schools will take you all the way through college no matter what once you get in, unless you burn the place down or something. In the US, outside of a few places like Sidwell Friends I doubt very many people (or even most college admittance offices) have a clue about the reputation of high schools, let alone middle or elementary schools, and even those are mostly only known locally.

In that light, a Japanese show about the lock-in effects of educational tracks and the resultant attitudes of those assigned to them is likely to be about the lock-in effects of educational tracks and the resultant attitudes of those assigned to them, and not about race relations in America. Tatsuya's beef is "the entrance tests don't capture what makes me special," not "total lock-in is a bad idea," but it is still at least a mild criticism of a seriously messed up system, if one loaded down by the author's ability to drain the interest out of any conflict and inability to open a character's mouth without placing it squarely on the MC's crotch.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Since when is Id a LN?

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=100244

Here is the link to the novel description (You probably never heard of it since it isn't translated apart from a few chapters and is on hiatus).

http://idmanhwa.wikia.com/wiki/Id_Wiki

Even the wiki calls it an adaptation. Now these aren't the most credible sources but they really have no reason to lie.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

People keep bringing up race as the main thing in discrimination, but I don't think that makes much sense given the context for a work from a very mono-ethnic society about a high-stakes educational system.

Race is just being used as a parallel to explain the rough western equivalence of the arguments. But that's a good, interesting post.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CVE posted:

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=100244

Here is the link to the novel description (You probably never heard of it since it isn't translated apart from a few chapters and is on hiatus).

http://idmanhwa.wikia.com/wiki/Id_Wiki

Even the wiki calls it an adaptation. Now these aren't the most credible sources but they really have no reason to lie.

Still not a light novel. It is a korean fantasy novel, as you can tell from the cover alone. That it is an adaptation is rather surprising to me, as a lot of the manwha is just people trading giant flashy attacks back and forth. Without art to accompany it, that sounds rather dull.

Id is kind of a gary stu, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Clicking random threads wins again. I did not expect this thread to be ADTRW Attempts to Teach WickedHate Basic College Level Reading Skills.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I started reading book 3:

quote:

"Onii-sama, sorry for the wait."
Upon hearing the voice, Tatsuya shifted his gaze over as the headlights illuminated his sister's slim body.
Miyuki's long hair was done up in a bun while she wore a biker's suit in the same fashion as Tatsuya's own. The custom fit suit hugged her curves, hinting at the fullness of her womanly charms.

this is after a section of Tatsuya talking to his friends, which is 50% him explaining things to them and 50% them telling him to not belittle himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

Clicking random threads wins again. I did not expect this thread to be ADTRW Attempts to Teach WickedHate Basic College Level Reading Skills.

It's more that ADTRW Reads Too Much Into Things and Doesn't Like A Good Show.

• Locked thread