Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

HeyItsAyls posted:

I'm so glad social media didn't exist back in 1998 when Dana International won. :sigh:

I know, right? Transgender and Israeli: what a Twitter shitstorm that would have been. "Viva la Diva" is still a great pop song, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Someone I've known since 9th grade unfriended me for saying that ESPN showing Michael Sam's kiss over and over again was reasonable because it was a historic moment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Someone I thought I knew since 9th grade unfriended me for saying that ESPN showing Michael Sam's kiss over and over again was reasonable because it was a historic moment.

It's great [no it isn't] seeing people get so angry this stuff. :allears: I don't understand why people are so furious over two dudes/women dating though.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Here is a nice snippet of some casual racism shared by one of my (white as hell) high school teachers. But it's okay because Bill Cosby, a Black Person, said it.

I checked Snopes and he actually said it too :(

So... it's racist to agree with Bill Cosby? :confused:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Stoatbringer posted:

So... it's racist to agree with Bill Cosby? :confused:

Bill Cosby's opinions and how he expresses them are kind of lovely and dismissive of young people. White people quoting him and saying, "see, one of them thinks so, too!" is them validating their racism.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Bill Cosby is a terrible old man who is rude as all poo poo. I saw his comedy act when he came to St. Cloud State University in like...2003, I think. He would call the students assigned to help him up to the stage and then poo poo on their major, way they were dressed, and the way that they talked. It's kind of hazy because its been so long but everyone walked out of the performance with the overwhelming feeling that Bill Cosby is in fact a bitter old prick.

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011

AKZ posted:

Bill Cosby is a terrible old man who is rude as all poo poo. I saw his comedy act when he came to St. Cloud State University in like...2003, I think. He would call the students assigned to help him up to the stage and then poo poo on their major, way they were dressed, and the way that they talked. It's kind of hazy because its been so long but everyone walked out of the performance with the overwhelming feeling that Bill Cosby is in fact a bitter old prick.

Also history of assault allegations.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/02/13/bill_cosby_sexual_assault_allegations_why_isn_t_anyone_paying_attention.html

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Horrible as Bill Cosby is, I'm pretty sure one of the speeches attributed to him that gets passed around social media by racists was really obviously not him.

E: No wait, that one is the one he actually said, "I'm 83 and tired" is the fake one.

made of bees has a new favorite as of 18:59 on May 11, 2014

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
He kinda went insane after his son was killed by a racist Ukrainian dude in a botched robbery attempt. I think he got something really taken from him by that, that can't be replaced - the act of fathering his son, that he's trying to get back by telling everyone else what to do. It just makes me feel bad that Ennis Cosby must have been raised by these speeches and tactics.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Right, but isn't the one that actually is him much worse than the obviously fake one? I pretty much always glaze over chain emails and the like.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Always good stuff from the hick side of my family. Central BC is a strange place.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Who the gently caress is Luke Bryan

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

SpookyLizard posted:

A country singer.

Tater Tot 13
Nov 14, 2003

Making the best of a goon situation.

SpookyLizard posted:

I had to look him up too. Country Music guy apparently.

Beaten like a country music singer at a concert filled with people that don't like country music guys.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SpookyLizard posted:

someone greater than facebook, twitter and google evidently.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
On the plus side, my friend just sent me this video of the Goldeneye opening titles set to "Rise Like a Phoenix" because he knows I'm a huge Bond fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql5mgkQIOY

It works surprisingly well and if it weren't for this thread, I'd have no idea who Conchita Wurst was. It won't happen but I'd love for her to sing the next Bond theme. :allears:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Ninjasaurus posted:

On the plus side, my friend just sent me this video of the Goldeneye opening titles set to "Rise Like a Phoenix" because he knows I'm a huge Bond fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql5mgkQIOY

It works surprisingly well and if it weren't for this thread, I'd have no idea who Conchita Wurst was. It won't happen but I'd love for her to sing the next Bond theme. :allears:

This is rad. If I weren't already dead-set on Cee Lo doing the next Bond song, I'd be rooting for this to happen.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is rad. If I weren't already dead-set on Cee Lo doing the next Bond song, I'd be rooting for this to happen.

Holy poo poo, that would also be amazing.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

RareAcumen posted:

It's great [no it isn't] seeing people get so angry this stuff. :allears: I don't understand why people are so furious over two dudes/women dating though.
No you see, it's okay if it's two women because it's hot and :suicide:

Can I just post this, which is the opposite of idiotic and because it gives me a little more hope on the issue and just people in general.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I don't have screen shots because the stuff keeps getting deleted but ugh.

Several months ago I donated a painting to an auction on facebook. An older woman commented on it, wanting to bid, but she couldn't afford to because she doesn't get that much from her pension. She was a friend of a friend, so I decided to surprise her with a little one as a gift. That itself turned into a mess - I messaged to ask her for her address and she started asking if she could pick the colors, bigger size, etc. I decided to just learn from it and let it go, and never give gifts to people I don't know again.

Well. At someone point in the last week her friend's dog died, and she wanted to set up a fundraising thing for money for them that they could donate to rescue in their dogs' name. Really dumb - do we need to raise money for everything? - but whatever. Some truly nasty people started saying she was a spammer, trying to con money, etc. This woman had a complete facebook meltdown. This is the first time I've been online since friday, I've been really sick, and I have 6 new group messages from her crying about this stuff and how she wants to end it all and so on, she has deleted her account and made a new one 4 different times, and my one time replying to say she should just stop the fundraising page and move on started an interrogation from her about whether I believe them or not, or would believe anyone else that she's a scammer, and other nonsense.

So much for being nice to old ladies.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PUGGERNAUT posted:

You might have to wait a bit for that, they've already confirmed that Adele will be doing the theme for the next movie.

Though honestly, I'd be fine with her being, like, the Shirley Bassey of this Bond era, and just pop back in from time to time to do another theme.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

kinmik posted:

No you see, it's okay if it's two women because it's hot and :suicide:

Can I just post this, which is the opposite of idiotic and because it gives me a little more hope on the issue and just people in general.

Nah, this is still pretty stupid. It's like going "Who cares that Jackie Robinson's black? All that matters is if he's good."

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Nah, this is still pretty stupid. It's like going "Who cares that Jackie Robinson's black? All that matters is if he's good."

Yeah, it's funny how, now that it's much harder to get away with being a bigot, being gay is nothing special and no one should pay attention to him. Why is it such a big deal? Gee, maybe because homophobes made it such a big deal.

For relevant content: it's probably safer to just link to his timeline, but @boring_as_heck has spent most of his day tweeting pictures of shirtless men kissing to people saying terrible things about Michael Sam and gays in general. :nws: obviously.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
How is he as a player? I don't follow the NFL much outside of the playoffs, is he going to have a future in the league or is he otherwise unremarkable?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

SteveVizsla posted:

I don't have screen shots because the stuff keeps getting deleted but ugh.

Well. At someone point in the last week her friend's dog died, and she wanted to set up a fundraising thing for money for them that they could donate to rescue in their dogs' name. Really dumb - do we need to raise money for everything? - but whatever. Some truly nasty people started saying she was a spammer, trying to con money, etc. This woman had a complete facebook meltdown. This is the first time I've been online since friday, I've been really sick, and I have 6 new group messages from her crying about this stuff and how she wants to end it all and so on, she has deleted her account and made a new one 4 different times, and my one time replying to say she should just stop the fundraising page and move on started an interrogation from her about whether I believe them or not, or would believe anyone else that she's a scammer, and other nonsense.

So much for being nice to old ladies.

Too bad you didn't save the posts/weren't mean enough to post her message to you. Why didn't she just let the idea go once people were obviously not in favor of donating to a charity of her choice?

Wait. I forgot that she is likely a crazy old lady.

Bored has a new favorite as of 02:47 on May 12, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

How is he as a player? I don't follow the NFL much outside of the playoffs, is he going to have a future in the league or is he otherwise unremarkable?

unremarkable

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
He was SEC. co-defensive player of the year, which is something. But his skill set is not a typical one that translates well to pro ball . Which is why he was one of the last picks.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Is there a rule about no tumblr? Because it almost seems like it's cheating.

...and yet I felt compelled to share this.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
post more tumblr, i miss the tumblr mock thread.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

He was SEC. co-defensive player of the year, which is something. But his skill set is not a typical one that translates well to pro ball . Which is why he was one of the last picks.

Huh, I read that he was really talented and was expected to be a pretty high pick. Was that article wrong? I don't follow college ball that much.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't follow too closely either, but my understanding is he isn't gonna be a superstar hall of famer, but he's not gonna be cut after like a year either. Kinda middle of the road, as far as NFL players go.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The main problem is he had a lovely pro day at the combine. It caused his draft stock to tank. Honestly quite a few players in the NFL came out in support of both him and other players who have come out of the closet after retiring from the NFL. The industry fosters quite a bit of camaraderie between the players due to the union.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a majority of players are under 30. The same equal rights movement that is causing the nation's shift in the direction of equality has been a part of their cultural mindset for as long as anyone posting here (most likely), so why would we expect them to be any more bigoted than the rest of the nation's younger demographic? Of course there is still some ugly homophobia in the industry, but that is moving to the past as fast as in any industry dominated by younger people.

...I really like football, okay?

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

post more tumblr, i miss the tumblr mock thread.

Agreed. Tumblr is a social media site that is abound with idiots. Post more.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Please don't post tumblr, it is haraam and also leads to madness

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If it weren't for that kind of "stupid" thinking the negro league would still be around.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KitConstantine posted:

The main problem is he had a lovely pro day at the combine. It caused his draft stock to tank. Honestly quite a few players in the NFL came out in support of both him and other players who have come out of the closet after retiring from the NFL. The industry fosters quite a bit of camaraderie between the players due to the union.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a majority of players are under 30. The same equal rights movement that is causing the nation's shift in the direction of equality has been a part of their cultural mindset for as long as anyone posting here (most likely), so why would we expect them to be any more bigoted than the rest of the nation's younger demographic? Of course there is still some ugly homophobia in the industry, but that is moving to the past as fast as in any industry dominated by younger people.

...I really like football, okay?

I'm just waiting for one of the all time great players in each league to come out as gay, like Maurice Richard or something. Every staunch right wing person in Quebec simultaniously dies from a stroke.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

As much as I miss the tumblr mock threads, the reason they get shut down is because goons have a tendency to succumb to lots of infighting in them. Even though I love to laugh at trans-fat agephobic demiplatonic pansexual otherkin, its probably best if we dont post too much tumblr.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Austrian mook posted:

I'm just waiting for one of the all time great players in each league to come out as gay, like Maurice Richard or something. Every staunch right wing person in Quebec simultaniously dies from a stroke.

Quebec's actually pretty gay-friendly these days, and we really don't have much of a right wing :confused:

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Manfrompoot posted:

If it weren't for that kind of "stupid" thinking the negro league would still be around.

He's not talking about people who said "Jackie Robinson is just as good as any white player, just let him play in the white leagues". He's talking about some hypothetical (but probably real) idiot arguing "There's no reason to celebrate Jackie Robinson, his career was unremarkable, sports are about talent, not race". The latter is a cowardly, dishonest argument used by bigots trying to pass itself off as the former and make people arguing for equality look like the real bigots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I read those facebook posts and I saw people who were going "Ugh he's gay fine whatever who cares just shut up about it so I can ignore it" rather than "This is a significant barrier that has been broken, but in a perfect world it wouldn't matter that an openly gay man is in the NFL."

SpiderHyphenMan has a new favorite as of 04:39 on May 12, 2014

• Locked thread