Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Game still holds up visually

Those of you in the first few rows WILL get wet!

quote:

Clan Quest Mod is good fun, thanks for the recommendation.

I do not care for that HUD modification though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah. Are there any good ui mods?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Huh, that's weird. I installed the steam version (couldn't find my old dvd) but I can't seem to be able to install the Clan Quest Mod. I boot up the installer and it looks as if ti'S working, but when I start a game it's just the old normal game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Huh, that's weird. I installed the steam version (couldn't find my old dvd) but I can't seem to be able to install the Clan Quest Mod. I boot up the installer and it looks as if ti'S working, but when I start a game it's just the old normal game.

check the install path
make sure you're installing the actual folder under x64 or whatever it's called. That tripped me up for hours when I tried

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Also, I think you have to run the game once before installing mods.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just completed my second run of the game, as a malk. The cab scene at the end var pretty amazing.
My first run was years ago, and I've never played the plus patch version of the regular game with a regular race.

What race would be more interesting to play as out of gangrel, brujah and ventrue?

Also, I noclipped through both the sewers and that awful chinese temple. I regret nothing.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 11, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Just completed my second run of the game, as a malk. The cab scene at the end var pretty amazing.
My first run was years ago, and I've never played the plus patch version of the regular game with a regular race.

What race would be more interesting to play as out of gangrel, brujah and ventrue?

Also, I noclipped through both the sewers and that awful chinese temple. I regret nothing.

Ventrue for hilarious Dominate options.

Brujah for Celerity, all day every day.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"I feel asleep!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

check the install path
make sure you're installing the actual folder under x64 or whatever it's called. That tripped me up for hours when I tried

gently caress!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Every time I attempt a non-malk run I make it to Janette/Therese and I regret it and reroll.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think I've played a Brujah to this day. Just doesn't seem to be much interesting there compared to everyone else.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think I've played a Brujah to this day. Just doesn't seem to be much interesting there compared to everyone else.

The only reason to play them, really, is to go full Potence and Celerity and run around pretending you're Jet Li from The One.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Or Jack Nicholson (or any other axe murderer from a horror movie that inexplicably waits at every exit).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's kinda funny how certain clans aren't even close in Bloodlines to how they're depicted in the actual tabletop game, now that I think about it. Giovanni is pretty much boiled down to just 'inbred mob family that has fancy parties' and Toreador for the most part doesn't even go into the more depressing aspects of them so they just come off as aloof/beautiful/artsy vampires. Brujah also have a pretty deep history of being revolutionaries and radical thinkers who helped set up things in Greece and whatever ages ago, but I suppose the game at least got the part of them mostly being punks who've lapsed in the remembering of their past at this point in the timeline right.

Not that I expected them to get everything perfect, especially considering all the issues that hampered the game in general, but the pointing out of Brujah being really lackluster compared to the others made me think about it a little.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Brujah also have a pretty deep history of being revolutionaries and radical thinkers who helped set up things in Greece and whatever ages ago, but I suppose the game at least got the part of them mostly being punks who've lapsed in the remembering of their past at this point in the timeline right.

The game also notes that the Anarchs have a very big Brujah membership, so the subtext of them still being revolutionaries is there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I probably should have included that as well, since I at least remembered that much. Not sure why I didn't.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Option D, Tremere supremacy. Your character gets suave murder-gent outfits, you get that sweet pad downtown with some nice charms and such, and your powers are BLOOD WIZARDRY :unsmigghh:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fun Fact: They pretty much pulled the Tremere's weakness out of their rear end for Bloodlines! :eng101:

Their 'real' weakness is that every one of them is initiated into the Tremere order using a blood oath, which means that you ride until you (eternally) die for Tremere and have a sense of loyalty for your elders and their elders and so on and so forth up the hierarchy. Which, as you can imagine, could cause some conflict given that you're bonded to a very strict society. Their lack of an 'actual' vampire clan weakness is pretty odd compared to the others, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Most of the Anarchs you run into are Brujah so the game still keeps the revolutionary aspect of the clan.

If I remember right the Tremere were a bunch of mages that turned themselves into vampires with magic, so that's why they're the odd ones out. They also kick rear end. Boiling people blood causing them to explode is the poo poo. :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Malkavian > Tremere > Gangrel > Everything else > Nosferatu

Accordion Man posted:

Most of the Anarchs you run into are Brujah so the game still keeps the revolutionary aspect of the clan.

If I remember right the Tremere were a bunch of mages that turned themselves into vampires with magic, so that's why they're the odd ones out. They also kick rear end. Boiling people blood causing them to explode is the poo poo. :black101:

That's the nWoD Tremere, who are lame. They're just liches, yeah. And their rules actually come from Mage, not Vampire.

The oWoD Tremere are a Vampire clan, which is what Vampire:Bloodlines is based on; more Vampire: The Masquerade than Vampire: The Requiem... although now that I think about it the oWoD Tremere had something like that as their "backstory" so you're right, I guess that kinda explains their lack of weakness? :downs:

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
So is nWoD really that bad? Got it from DriveThruRPG for free a while back, wondering if it's worth trying out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The story of the Tremere is long and full of retcons. Way back when, before the WoD existed, there was Ars Magica, a game about Wizards spending time in their towers researching poo poo. Wizards were grouped into the order of Hermes, divided into Houses, one of which was the House of Tremere. When the first edition of Vampire: the Masquerade was published, Clan Tremere was created as an inside-joke as the clan of Vampire-Wizards.

Later on, Mage: the Ascension was published, with the Order of Hermes now only one of many groups of Wizards in the world. This, then, became the backstory of the Tremere vampires: WHen Tremere started sensing his immortality spells fading, he tried to find a way out. His student, Goratrix, experimented on vampires of the Tzimisce clan and thought he'd found a way to get the vampire's immortality without the drawbacks. He was wrong, and all the Tremere leaders became vampires. This pissed off a lot of people, and the new clan Tremere had to fight both a poo poo-ton of pissed-off vampires and their Wizard brethren in order to establish themselves. They won, because the writers loved them.

While they were at way with like three vampire clans and a Mage order, the Tremere decided this wasn't enough and so Tremere, the boss-leader, decided to diablerize an Antedeluvian and wipe out his clan. Somehow, he managed to convince everyone that the clan of vampire-healers (and 3x3 Eyes cosplayers), the Salubri, were evil soul-stealers and had them mostly wiped out, drinking their delicious soul-blood along the way.

tl;dr lots of sperging about vampire wizards.
:goonsay:

Augustus
Oct 10, 2004

God damn it.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the nWoD Tremere, who are lame. They're just liches, yeah. And their rules actually come from Mage, not Vampire.

The oWoD Tremere are a Vampire clan, which is what Vampire:Bloodlines is based on; more Vampire: The Masquerade than Vampire: The Requiem... although now that I think about it the oWoD Tremere had something like that as their "backstory" so you're right, I guess that kinda explains their lack of weakness? :downs:

The oWoD Tremere backstory was that they were a house of the Order of Hermes from Mage who thought vampirism = immortality, experimented on a ton of Tzimisce, turned themselves into vampires, and then promptly diablerized an entire clan (Clan Salubri) to raise their leadership's generation up to being a proper Antediluvian. All of the Time of Judgment literature involves this biting them in the rear end somehow. They aren't the only upstart clan, either (the Giovanni were an offshoot of Clan Cappadocius that turned around and ate their sires).

This is why everyone distrusts the Tremere (Saulot, the Clan Salubri antediluvian, was the closest thing vampires have to a saint). The reason why they didn't do anything about the Tremere is literally "Thaumaturgy is loving broken guise"

Augustus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 13, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the story in oWoD too. Bunch of mages that wanted immortality and did a whole ritual stealing the blood from the Tzimisce, only to realize that their magic didn't work when they were corpses. This is why the Tzimisce hate them. So their solution was to cook up Blood Magic, and then to make themselves legit Tremere diablerized Saulot to make himself 3rd generation.

Basically, the Tremere are loving stupid.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ravenicus posted:

So is nWoD really that bad? Got it from DriveThruRPG for free a while back, wondering if it's worth trying out.

No, everything in nWoD is a massive improvement over oWoD from both a backstory and a mechanics perspective. It's a much better system with much better games that aren't filled with absolutely terrible 90s metaplot.

They released another core system upgrade recently (you can get a doc with the mechanics changes only for free here) that's even better, from what I hear.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, everything in nWoD is a massive improvement over oWoD from both a backstory and a mechanics perspective. It's a much better system with much better games that aren't filled with absolutely terrible 90s metaplot.

They released another core system upgrade recently (you can get a doc with the mechanics changes only for free here) that's even better, from what I hear.

Blood and Smoke is awesome, yes. Across the board is just a solid system. The only flaw to it is that the book is a disorganized pile of poo poo, so it's annoying (especially with the pdf) to find all the info for character creation because each step jumps to a different, non-sequential chapter/subsection because reasons. :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ravenicus posted:

nWoD mostly rules. There's a few story elements of oWoD I like to pull in / replace, but the game system and mechanics are much better designed and streamlined from oWoD.

Mixing different race books in oWoD was kind of a mess, but in nWoD its trivial. And the game just generally goes faster, fewer rolls, etc. without really sacrificing complexity or freedom.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Blood and Smoke is awesome, yes. Across the board is just a solid system. The only flaw to it is that the book is a disorganized pile of poo poo, so it's annoying (especially with the pdf) to find all the info for character creation because each step jumps to a different, non-sequential chapter/subsection because reasons. :psyduck:

All of the Onyx Path books are like this. Why can't you get decent editors who understand how to do RPG book layout, Onyx Path? :argh:

e; I am super looking forward to getting the new Demon game at some point, either way.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm waiting for CQM to download right now. Does it change Seduction and Computers and the other worthless skills at all? Like, are there more skill checks or randomized passwords or whatever so I actually have a reason to dump XP into them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I'm waiting for CQM to download right now. Does it change Seduction and Computers and the other worthless skills at all? Like, are there more skill checks or randomized passwords or whatever so I actually have a reason to dump XP into them?

Yes, just make sure you install the Camarilla mod as an option.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Hmm. I'm pretty sure I installed CQM correctly. I reinstalled the game, patched it to 1.2, and installed CQM to the Vampire folder in the main directory just like the OP said. But when I start up the game it's just vanilla Bloodlines? I'm really not sure what I did wrong here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
It's changed. You install it in the top-level game folder Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines now. If you open up your "Vampire" subfolder you should find another "Vampire" subfolder--that's what the CQM installer put in. I had the same problem.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

It's changed. You install it in the top-level game folder Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines now. If you open up your "Vampire" subfolder you should find another "Vampire" subfolder--that's what the CQM installer put in. I had the same problem.

That fixed it. You are a Cool Dude :)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

MonsieurChoc posted:

While they were at way with like three vampire clans and a Mage order, the Tremere decided this wasn't enough and so Tremere, the boss-leader, decided to diablerize an Antedeluvian and wipe out his clan. Somehow, he managed to convince everyone that the clan of vampire-healers (and 3x3 Eyes cosplayers), the Salubri, were evil soul-stealers and had them mostly wiped out, drinking their delicious soul-blood along the way.

Eh, Saulot kind of deserved it for creating the Baali.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I got this during the last Steam sale and I've been playing using the CQM. I haven't seen any randomised passwords, but I've been playing a Malkavian run and the clan quest didn't trigger until I put points into Computers, so there's that at least.

It's still been a fairly buggy experience playing this game even with the fan patches. My favourite was in Griffith Park, where the werewolf got stuck on top of a tree and so I just waited at the bottom for the timer to run out. I also got the "stuff in your Haven turns into other things" bug last night, when I had a bunch of Chinatown drawers everywhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

pun pundit posted:

Eh, Saulot kind of deserved it for creating the Baali.

Saulot is kind of another funny character, as his story is also full of retcons and plotlines that go nowhere. Prepare for many :words:

Way back when, Saulot was super-good and a healer. He went to the east where he met up with the Kindred of the East(tm) and studied under the Great Arhat Xue. There he learned about Golconda, but also learned that reality functions in a cycle of Ages and that when the Sixth Age began someone would become the Demon Emperor, rule the universe with an iron fist in a gauntlet made of screaming babies and that nothing could stop that. So he decided to become the Demon Emperor, thinking his rule wouldn't be as bad as someone else's. Note: This is still one of the least crazy plans espoused by an Antedeluvian.

Anyway, he goes back home, creates the Baali as an experiment in evil and the Salubri as a counter, and then does stuff that goes nowhere for a few millenias. Among his many schemes, he rewrote the Book of Nod, the vampiric "bible", so that it would lead to people killing thin-blooded vampires instead of protecting them in order to make Gehenna come sooner. He also apparently manipulated Tremere into diablerizing him and his clan, because he though Vampire Wizards with barely any clan weaknesses would make better tools than goody-two-shoes who couldn't drink from unwilling subjects. A few centuries later, his plan would work out somewhat because he ends up taking over Tremere's body. Tremere flees into the body of his old friend Goratrix, now a traitor who joined the Sabbat, and Goratrix ends up trapped in a mirror forever. Tremere then kills all the Sabbat Tremere, because he's a dick.

And then the writers forget all about Saulot's plans and have him be a saintly martyr in the Gehenna book, because White Wolf. And then Tzimisce ate everyone anyway.

drat, that's a lot of words no one's going to read.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I read 'em :)

oWoD storylines were retarded as gently caress but god I miss them

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Tremere in general are pretty different from their actual tabletop version. For example, blood magic is actually worth loving anything in Bloodlines, whereas in oVamp you basically spend all your XP ever to finally hit level five in blood magic and get the awesome ability to spend a blood point to do like 2 goddamn damage.

Maybe that's why Tremere had no real weakness, because their awesome vampire magic is generally garbage.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That's lame, boiling people's blood until they turned into living bombs was one of the best things about playing Tremere in Bloodlines. That and Blood Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Tremere in general are pretty different from their actual tabletop version. For example, blood magic is actually worth loving anything in Bloodlines, whereas in oVamp you basically spend all your XP ever to finally hit level five in blood magic and get the awesome ability to spend a blood point to do like 2 goddamn damage.

Maybe that's why Tremere had no real weakness, because their awesome vampire magic is generally garbage.

Yeah real mages look at Tremere blood magic's limited uses and go "that's cute"

Its fun to be a vampizard though :(

• Locked thread