Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I cannot believe I have to go through two more parts before I can read this.

While you can read how you want, don't feel so restricted. When I read for the first time, I went 5 1 2 7 6 3 4. JoJo parts being largely self contained is one of the best things about the series. And I know someone will probably say something about the effect of what was brought over being lost, but that never bothered me while reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

onepixeljumpman posted:

While you can read how you want, don't feel so restricted. When I read for the first time, I went 5 1 2 7 6 3 4. JoJo parts being largely self contained is one of the best things about the series. And I know someone will probably say something about the effect of what was brought over being lost, but that never bothered me while reading.

Yeah, and part 7 is the most self-contained. It's effectively a reboot of the JoJo universe. There are only tenuous connections in the form of characters with familiar designs.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Then there's JoJolion where due to Jesus the Wall Eyes exist and everyone is probably getting a power from the entire corpse being in the geography of Morioh.

What the poo poo? I'm way more behind than I thought.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

onepixeljumpman posted:

why would you read it in such a retarded order

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mikeycp posted:

What the poo poo? I'm way more behind than I thought.

You have no idea.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

why would you read it in such a retarded order

Because, like I said, who gives a poo poo?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: Actually, Part 4 has Reimi the ghost girl finishing off Kira instead of any of the Stand users.

How is that finishing him off when he's already dead? Wouldn't the fire truck driver count anyways?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

How is that finishing him off when he's already dead? Wouldn't the fire truck driver count anyways?

Fair point. I think she still gets credit for Cheap Trick, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The souls of the dead and Rohan get credit for that, she's just kinda there.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Isn't every stand user so far, except for Angelo and the robbing road tree, related to Johnny?

The trees are related to Johnny, possibly. They're in the area of his death.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

onepixeljumpman posted:

Because, like I said, who gives a poo poo?

Normal people, who actually do things the way they were intended. Please do not encourage something that stupid. Especially do not encourage reading Part 6 before Part 3. :cmon:

"I skipped part 5 because I didn't enjoy it and the scans were bad." is not the same as "I read a part that relies almost entirely on reading a previous part to deliver a storyline, out of order.".

Uznare fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 11, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Jotaro read a book once and a man is obsessed with Dio. That's really all you need to know going into part 6.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Momomo posted:

Jotaro read a book once and a man is obsessed with Dio. That's really all you need to know going into part 6.

It's still massively stupid, it's the principle of the thing. 'sides you're oversimplifying a bit too much.

Just read it in order. It Ain't That Hard.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 11, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While doing so is indeed quite mad, you can read its parts in any order and not suffer for it besides a few spoilers. The most significant I can tell being the epilogue to SBR getting folded into the backstory of Jojolion, so while part 8 is mostly its own thing, reading it before part 7 really is a bad idea.

Beyond that, though, I can't really bring any strong feelings to the matter. So someone reads it out of order like a crazy person, big whoop.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Beyond that, though, I can't really bring any strong feelings to the matter. So someone reads it out of order like a crazy person, big whoop.

Like I said, someone will be bothered by the idea, but it didn't bother me then and still doesn't bother me now. I'll yield on 7 before 8, but if you're restless about waiting for SBR, then read SBR. You'll be fine.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Speaking of SBR, this popped up on Cracked's Twitter:

Wonder if Araki heard of this while he was creating Sandman (they're actually native Mexicans).

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 11, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
SBR is pretty okay to start with, because it's meant as a reboot anyway.

You'll miss out on some of the in-jokes, but aside from that, you're golden.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Perigryn posted:

(they're actually native Mexicans).

:ssh: Mexico is in the americas.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

:ssh: Mexico is in the americas.
:ssh: Some people don't realise that.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Perigryn posted:

:ssh: Some people don't realise that.
joseph_joestar_wearing_disguise.jpg

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mimir posted:

joseph_joestar_wearing_disguise.jpg

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

SBR is pretty okay to start with, because it's meant as a reboot anyway.

You'll miss out on some of the in-jokes, but aside from that, you're golden.

Are you encouraging him to skip parts? You monster.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A lot of people here don't know how to count. Last I recall, 7 came after 1-6.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I don't understand how anyone can recommend anyone to skip any part in Jojo. Every single one of you can see plain as day that everyone has their own favorite parts and has their own opinions of which parts are and aren't good. Isn't that evidence enough that the person who you're talking to might have a wildly different opinion than you do on it? By telling someone "Oh, you can skip part 5 and you'll be fine" you might very well people robbing someone of what's potentially their favorite part of Jojo and I don't think any of you want that.

The only part I can see anyone reasonably skipping is Phantom Blood because that part is almost an entirely different comic than the rest in terms. (And to be honest aside from the beginning and the end it's just kind of boring overall). But even then it's small enough to only take maybe an hour or two to read through at the most and sets up the story for the entire rest of the series.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Missing Tarkus and Bruford, Dark Knights of Prog Scotland, would be a tragedy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only thing you'd miss in those is the Sunlight Yellow Overdrive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
No, the best thing about Phantom Blood is "NOT THE FROG!" :ohdear:

That scene is the only reason I could get a friend of mine to watch Jojo's, I basically had to plead and promise through every episode up to that point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing about JoJo is that you can skip some parts, but you can also buy a pool and fill it with rocks. There's a lot of things you can do.

Even the lesser Parts, like Phantom Blood, have some pretty good high points.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Or Zeppeli in general, or the interfering Speedwagon. Or actually knowing who DIO is when part 3 comes along. I appreciate it so much more now than I did when I first saw the OVA and wondered what the hell is this stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's also not like it's a race to get to the most recent content or anything. It's like people deciding to read One Piece but deciding they're only going to read from the most recent arc. It's not like you're doing anything other than missing out on more content you are apparently interested in, in the order in which it was created. There's not a grand prize for being current on something that you're otherwise not familiar with.

That being said, hey, it's your own life, whatever, just some pretty silly decisions. I can totally understand skipping some of the stuff though due to the lack of a good translation, that poo poo can be really frustrating and painful. Part 4 is worth sticking with even with that aspect.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mr. Maltose posted:

I can honestly say I remember none of these characters. Was Bruford the guy that gave Jonathan the sword?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They were the best knights ever and fought for Mary, Queen of Scots. Because that was still a thing in 1587. Also they were champions of both Knight Relay Race and Knight American Gladiators.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Phantom Blood is in a lot of ways a more generic shonen manga from its time, but it is still a really good example of that, and has a lot of really cool stuff. I would recommend reading (or watching) Part 1-3 in order. From there you can hop around as you like, though I'd still recommend going in order. The early stuff really is the backbone for everything else, I don't see how anyone can say you can start with Stone Ocean and not be missing out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, I thought Part V was going to suck, but seeing Purple Haze, Sex Pistols, and everything about Narancia (who I am convinced is the best character) changed my mind.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I usually tell people I'm introducing to Jojo that if they're not feeling part 1 the anime, to just skip straight to episode 10, and explain how each arc is a mostly self-contained story.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Narancia is pretty much the best thing about Part V and he is criminally underused, thankfully Bruno is cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if Araki will ever redo Part 1. That'd be pretty cool, and he could change quite a bit as long as it ended the same way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojolion is slow enough as it is, if Araki took time out of it to redo Phantom Blood, I'd die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

maybe there can even be a second coffin!!

• Locked thread