Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

halleys comet posted:

It's not a real Tarot deck, Dr. Gitmo Moneyson.

It actually was at one point, produced by some toymaker or another in Japan. I don't think it's currently in print though.

I'm sure one will pop up at some point again though, given the current anime is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Some of the cards came with the Stand figures, if I remember correctly. I haven't been able to find an actual deck with them all but, much like the Binding of Isaac deck, expect enough people to request it into existence.

Edit: They came in a special boxed edition of the Italian version of the 13 OVA series. :psyduck:

Robviously fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's just the Araki Tarot Set. It's my second favorite behind HR Giger's!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Robviously posted:

Some of the cards came with the Stand figures, if I remember correctly. I haven't been able to find an actual deck with them all but, much like the Binding of Isaac deck, expect enough people to request it into existence.

Edit: They came in a special boxed edition of the Italian version of the 13 OVA series. :psyduck:

Araki loves italy.
And we italians love Jojo.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Araki used a commercial Tarot deck without permission at first and what you see were the replacements used in the Tankobon release. They even printed an apology in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wasn't it just the Rider-Waite designs, which he assumed were in the public domain?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hace posted:

Also I loved this moment:

The fake captain was portrayed perfectly, onii-chan

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Wasn't it just the Rider-Waite designs, which he assumed were in the public domain?

After a bit of googling, it was just the Emperor that he used directly. The other cards were still in a more classic style during serialization.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Interestingly, the French crunchyroll subtitles kept the Teneille name, calling him "Captain Teneil", which was his name in the manga translation as well.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lurking Haro posted:

After a bit of googling, it was just the Emperor that he used directly. The other cards were still in a more classic style during serialization.

Yeah looks like you are right, here's the what the original cards looked.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm glad they made him change that, because the ones he made fuckin own.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Perigryn posted:

I've come across a few so far:

Fabulous. Wonderful. Amazing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know, it's amazing that, despite not having my favorite art style of Araki, Stardust Crusaders holds the test of time surprisingly well. Silver Chariot does look infinitely more badass now, though. Hell, Polnareff as a whole looks (and sounds!) more badass.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've caught up and this has been just as amazing as I remember the manga as being, and yeah I agree the art really does hold up, solid art skill lends itself to staying solid years later I think Araki really knows his stuff.

I couldn't even remotely recognize Rie Kugimiya's voice, she really does have a surprising amount of range, I want to find something where she has that same voice she had in this episode. It's the kind of voice I imagine voice actors have a lot of fun with performing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

This is gonna sound stupid but I have had a sealed copy of JoJo fighting all star or whatever the new ps3 game and I never touched it cause i figure it's all spoilers. Anyone play the game or have precautions for stardust spoilers?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pretty sure ASB has spoilers for Stardust Crusaders and a bunch of chapters after it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It does, but ASB is so bare bones in its story the most of what you'll get are the cliffnotes. Like you will be spoiled on Polnareff's sisters killer, a notable stand user, a few new characters, and everything involving Dio.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorry for the double post, but it's mother's day. Treat your mother right, like Jotaro does.

Mother, there is no other...

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Stupid bitch.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Housh posted:

This is gonna sound stupid but I have had a sealed copy of JoJo fighting all star or whatever the new ps3 game and I never touched it cause i figure it's all spoilers. Anyone play the game or have precautions for stardust spoilers?

Jotaro's HHA is a spoiler. Almost everything Part 3 DIO does is a spoiler (hell, you'll be seeing him outside of shadows early too). Though as someone who read the manga over 10 years ago, I'd like to think knowing everything that happens hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the anime in the slightest.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Not going to lie, I'm actually sort of sad this show has a budget now. I kind of miss the endless still frames and hilarious faces.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

:o::gizz:

And people said I was being silly when I called this the Jojo of Finland episode.

Episode summary:

Jotaro takes a strapping sailor deep down, and with some surprising fingerwork, and comes out on top. :gay:

BlitzBlast posted:

Not going to lie, I'm actually sort of sad this show has a budget now. I kind of miss the endless still frames and hilarious faces.

What makes you think that's ever going to stop.

Wark Say posted:

You know, it's amazing that, despite not having my favorite art style of Araki, Stardust Crusaders holds the test of time surprisingly well. Silver Chariot does look infinitely more badass now, though. Hell, Polnareff as a whole looks (and sounds!) more badass.

Their looks and the tone of their personalities are a lot better defined than they were in their initial introductions in the manga, because of the advantage of hindsight that Araki didn't have.

As this is faithful to the manga, there are some bits of the characters being their raw untested form early on though - in particular, Star Platinum viciously throttling Hierophant Green by the neck.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 11, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
C'mon, isn't every episode the Tom of Finland episode?

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Sorry for the double post, but it's mother's day. Treat your mother right, like Jotaro does.

Mother, there is no other...

I'm sure I'm late to they party on this, but how exactly does his hat work? Is he wearing some hat toupee?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It just works

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Batmasterson posted:

I'm sure I'm late to they party on this, but how exactly does his hat work? Is he wearing some hat toupee?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Animation error or world's most powerful camera? You decide.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

Or its just a really old photo.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a picture of him before his hat had fused to his head.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
They'll fix it in the blu-rays.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The chain he eventually gets is what causes his hair/hat situation. :tinfoil:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I might be alone in this but I absolutely loved the part where Captain Dragon (never even knew his name...) knew the jig was up and took off his hat. It just matched up really well with how I imagined it being when I read the manga.

But drat the fight was dragged out.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I saw this screen cap before but just now did I realize that you can still see his fused hair/hat outline underneath the hat in the photo. Is the hat really just see-through in the back, later becoming fully transparent? Have we finally solved the mystery???

Of course it's probably just the shading job causing the hat to look like that.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Jotaro's had the hat since he was a kid, eventually it stopped fitting so he had to take out the back :ms:

How it stays on is a mystery for the ages, though. Superglue?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I mean we see him take it off in the very first episode. The back is ripped.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well Manicured Man posted:

Jotaro's had the hat since he was a kid, eventually it stopped fitting so he had to take out the back :ms:

How it stays on is a mystery for the ages, though. Superglue?

Immaculate posture.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
That photo was taken before he got Star Platinum. Ergo, we can surmise that a side effect of getting a Stand is having your hair take over your hat.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That photo was taken before he got Star Platinum. Ergo, we can surmise that a side effect of getting a Stand is having your hair take over your hat.

Clearly the hat was ripped in the fight that happened before episode 1, which is what got Jotaro thrown in jail to begin with. So Star Platinum has just been holding it on there most of the time. This also explains why he loves to grab his hat before SP goes nuts on someone. And of course he isn't going to lose it or throw it away; his mom gave him that hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

BlitzBlast posted:

Almost as funny as this manga misprint:

• Locked thread