Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

StumblyWumbly posted:

John Slattery for Howard, go full on Mad Men with spies.

Howard Stark is much younger than that in 1946 and was played by a different actor the last time we saw him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah the IM2 Howard Stark shot a video of Stark Industries stuff that had Tony in the background of it so that'd probably be like, late 60s or earl 70s or so. This Howard will be 20 years younger than that, hopefully the same guy who played him in Cap 1.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder how long it will take them to do a time travel plot and cross the shows over

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah the IM2 Howard Stark shot a video of Stark Industries stuff that had Tony in the background of it so that'd probably be like, late 60s or earl 70s or so. This Howard will be 20 years younger than that, hopefully the same guy who played him in Cap 1.

Well, Stark and Dum Dum were both in the short which was kinda-sorta the pilot for the show.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Constantine has a trailer

And it looks fantastic. Looks like NBC learned from Hannibal and isn't afraid to go all-out with the creepshow. I love it so much :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know that I agree it looks fantastic, but it's good enough to where I'll probably check it out. In my mind it has the same problem that every other occult/horror style TV-show has in that it looks incredibly cheap. Not that it isn't understandable, and with that said, I could go for a darker, bleaker version of Supernatural.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone got a link to a version of the trailer that isn't region-blocked?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm sold. Snarky british supernatural with slightly more budget is right up my alley!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Error 404 posted:

I'm sold. Snarky british supernatural with slightly more budget is right up my alley!

I like it. Looks like they took a lot of the things the Keanu version did right and tossed the things it messed up (y'know, made him American).

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I know this is really silly, but his clothes look far to clean. They gave him that ragged look but never bother to distress his clothes to fully sell it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

Constantine has a trailer

And it looks fantastic. Looks like NBC learned from Hannibal and isn't afraid to go all-out with the creepshow. I love it so much :allears:

Can't stop hearing Kenway when he talks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I know this is really silly, but his clothes look far to clean. They gave him that ragged look but never bother to distress his clothes to fully sell it.

I honestly felt the same way. It seemed almost like cosplay because everything seemed so clean and new. Maybe he gets new clean clothing after he gets out of the asylum?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

I know. Isn't it great? :allears:

I was watching on my tablet, so I can't tell how the effects look on a bigger screen, but it didn't seem that cheap to me. At least, no more or less than any other television show. I'm more happy about the atmosphere and what they're willing to do, anyway (the girl with the bugs not he wall, for example). If we get to see a storm of razor teeth, I will be a happy dude.

Mostly, though, I'm happy that Matt Ryan seems to have gotten the character down right. That's really what Constantine is all about. He looks like he'll play a washed-up, rear end in a top hat investigator quite well. Plus, the series lends itself pretty well to an episodic format, which will hopefully give it some legs. Not sure I like the 10pm Friday slot, but it will go well with Grimm and could see the kind of cultish fan-base they're looking for to keep it going.

I am cautiously optimistic. The quality looks great, and I'm excited we're getting an actual Constantine television show, but the rest will be up to NBC and whether they will put enough faith into it and its fans to let it grow the way it needs to. The trailer is at least a start in the right direction.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ufarn posted:

Anyone got a link to a version of the trailer that isn't region-blocked?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/11/watch-the-first-trailer-for-nbcs-constantine-tv-series

I watched it via this site. It looks pretty good.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

And this is supposed to be a problem? Something something Bleeding Effect, Kenway's awesome, moving on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thanks, this worked for me, too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap, that Constantine trailer Sign me the gently caress on.:suspense:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

And now we hope that it can capture an audience on NBC because holy poo poo is NBC a wasteland.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That looked good. When the only quibble with it that I can come up with is to echo the "his coat is too clean" complaint? That's a good sign.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It seems to me you really have to love the comics to like that trailer. The actor's acting was really flat, and it didn't look like the writing knew whether to be serious or humorous.

Hopefully it won't air against Sleepy Hollow, so fans of SH can double dip, but I'm extremely skeptical based on the trailer.

Air it after or before, and who knows, maybe it'll at least get some of that audience.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah that looks like a surprisingly decent Supernatural meets Elementary, which is probably the exact right tone to take.

I wonder how much of the original satire will be updated for 2016 Obama's America such as Goldman Sachs demons with baby skin lampshades?

ufarn posted:

It seems to me you really have to love the comics to like that trailer. The actor's acting was really flat, and it didn't look like the writing knew whether to be serious or humorous.

Hopefully it won't air against Sleepy Hollow, so fans of SH can double dip, but I'm extremely skeptical based on the trailer.

Air it after or before, and who knows, maybe it'll at least get some of that audience.
It's airing on Fridays.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I look forward to going to some conventions and trying to figure out which cosplayers are dressed as Castiel and which ones are dressed as Constantine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Madkal posted:

I look forward to going to some conventions and trying to figure out which cosplayers are dressed as Castiel and which ones are dressed as Constantine.

Blonde hair vs brown I'd imagine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Blonde hair vs brown I'd imagine.

You overestimate how far some lazy cosplayers will go for their art.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Only thing I found odd about the trailer is that they never say Constantine's name, which makes me wonder how they're pronouncing it in the show.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

goldenoreos posted:

Only thing I found odd about the trailer is that they never say Constantine's name, which makes me wonder how they're pronouncing it in the show.

Well you have to leave some speculation to keep the tumblr crowd waiting for the premiere.

Comedy Option: They only refer to him as Johnny for the entire first season.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah that looks like a surprisingly decent Supernatural meets Elementary, which is probably the exact right tone to take.

I wonder how much of the original satire will be updated for 2016 Obama's America such as Goldman Sachs demons with baby skin lampshades?

Absolutely none at all?

Seriously,I am pretty surprised by the positive reaction, I thought it looked bland as hell, alright for a 2010 fantasy tv series, but pretty bad for a Constantine adaption. I think what we will get will be nothing like the comic, just the couple of nods here and there to stuff that appeared, but the tone seems to be completely different.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's more than one pronunciation of Constantine? :confused: It's a normal human name, kind of uncommon, but not some made up fantasy word.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 12, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Some people pronounce it Con-stan- t-eye-n, and others con-stan- teen.

This apparently a big deal because...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BrianWilly posted:

There's more than one pronunciation of Constantine? :confused: It's a normal human name, kind of uncommon, but not some made up fantasy word.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I haven't actually read Hellblazer, but that looked pretty rad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Well I have been saying it wrong all this time. How was it pronounced in the Reeves' film?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Teen. I'm man enough to admit that it bugged the poo poo out of me when the film first came out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Madkal posted:

Well I have been saying it wrong all this time. How was it pronounced in the Reeves' film?

Teen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

There was a moderately popular American Idol contestant whose name was Constantine and was not pronounced the same way this comic book character does. Words and names often have more than one pronunciation, especially in different countries. The only time it becomes a big issue is if you are mispronouncing someone's name AFTER they have corrected you, or if you are being the worst kind of dork and insinuating that one kind of dialect is more "correct" than another.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

There was a moderately popular American Idol contestant whose name was Constantine and was not pronounced the same way this comic book character does. Words and names often have more than one pronunciation, especially in different countries. The only time it becomes a big issue is if you are mispronouncing someone's name AFTER they have corrected you, or if you are being the worst kind of dork and insinuating that one kind of dialect is more "correct" than another.

Reminds me of M. Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender movie, where the cartoon pronounced the main character's name as Ang, and Shyamalan insisted that the name is pronounced as Aang.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Madkal posted:

Reminds me of M. Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender movie, where the cartoon pronounced the main character's name as Ang, and Shyamalan insisted that the name is pronounced as Aang.

Not many people were fans of Aang the Ovotar

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The correct pronunciation of Ra's Al Ghul is incorrect.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Quick, someone post Beartato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

They're using Constan-teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdAZwMRvGuc