Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The exile starting zones have their ups and downs. Humans/Granok are pretty cool, starting shipwrecked in some region that's in the middle of an artificial Blizzard.

The other zone is a LOT of you playing the role of violent Lorax and being a big hippie, although eventually you start getting the Mordesh quests and do some more interesting things. On the other hand, the zone is pretty fun to play in with the jumping mushrooms and all that.

It's worth noting you're not locked into your racial starting zone. One you talk to your faction leader, just don't hit the little doodad that takes you off the ship and onto Nexus. Instead, head out of that area and got to the opposite side of that whole zone where the other two races are. You may have to look a little, but one of the two departure areas should have the same glowy terminal that'll ship you off to the starting area of the other two races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

I finally got fed up with my default mount not being saved so I figured out how to make an addon to do it. I present DefaultMount:

Just select the mount you want and no matter how many times you relog or reloadui it will finally stick. Maybe I'll fix it up a bit and throw it on Curse later but here's a link for anyone that's interested: http://tomed.org/priv/DefaultMount.zip

edit: here's the curse link: http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/WildStar/220412-defaultmount

Tomed2000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 11, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

So, is crafting just completely broken? Got to the first crafting quests, and it's a whoooole bunch of "schematic not founds"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

a cat on an apple posted:

I'm just in love with NPC dialogs.

I wish they had more voice acting, not for quests, but for the NPC conversations. :3:

I'm not sure, but I think half the chula are voiced by Cree Summers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

cams posted:

So, is crafting just completely broken? Got to the first crafting quests, and it's a whoooole bunch of "schematic not founds"
Yes, and a fix is due Monday.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, everything just clicked for me: Playing as an engineer, alongside the look of the game, makes me feel like I am playing a MMO Ratchet and Clank game, and that is awesome. I am in.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Oh man, just unlocked (or rather, realized that at some point I had already unlocked...) the Agile Nano Skin for Stalker. Gives 5% lifesteal on top of removing the speed debuff in stealth.

This is, by far, the most fun I've had with a stealth class in any MMO ever. Really leaning towards picking this game up.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I downloaded the client yesterday cause I thought I'd just take a look at the pretty artwork so I don't accidently buy it cheap after release to check out the artwork later... for money. But I was not prepared for what this game has to offer... I'm just not used to MMO releases having nicely crafted areas with NPCs interacting with each other and doing non-player related tasks in the background.
After experiencing the wasteland of dead art assets devoid of any life that was The Old Republic (which was hyped as gently caress cause it had nice multiple choice NPC interactions) I thought MMOs were dead and I would be never suckered into playing one ever again.

And while the combat is nothing revolutionary by now it all seems to work well and flow rather smoothly. This whole game seems like it's just a composition of a lot of good design ideas working well togehter tipped off with really a beatiful art style and a world that actually feels alive.

So a question for the people who played more than a one and a half day... does it stay that way or will there be a Age of Conan style suprise where the vibrant world turns into a desolate wasteland once you get past a certain point in the progression.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

I downloaded the client yesterday cause I thought I'd just take a look at the pretty artwork so I don't accidently buy it cheap after release to check out the artwork later... for money. But I was not prepared for what this game has to offer... I'm just not used to MMO releases having nicely crafted areas with NPCs interacting with each other and doing non-player related tasks in the background.
After experiencing the wasteland of dead art assets devoid of any life that was The Old Republic (which was hyped as gently caress cause it had nice multiple choice NPC interactions) I thought MMOs were dead and I would be never suckered into playing one ever again.

And while the combat is nothing revolutionary by now it all seems to work well and flow rather smoothly. This whole game seems like it's just a composition of a lot of good design ideas working well togehter tipped off with really a beatiful art style and a world that actually feels alive.

So a question for the people who played more than a one and a half day... does it stay that way or will there be a Age of Conan style suprise where the vibrant world turns into a desolate wasteland once you get past a certain point in the progression.

It's pretty hard to really get that answer, because even now the Level cap for most people is Level 30. The question is ultimately about what goes on once you reach the maximum level, but from what I've observed everything looks pretty great. I haven't done much questing recently, opting instead to do path missions, mentor other players and just generally goofing off, and every single new thing I find just makes me enjoy the game more.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you return to the starter area you didn't choose (Northern Wilds/Grove) or is purely a one time only decision?

And thanks for the Esper comments, guys. I'll stick with the class a little longer and go from there. I was a bit concerned they were going to have a high skill ceiling but have no benefit to go with that. :v:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Tomed2000 posted:

I finally got fed up with my default mount not being saved so I figured out how to make an addon to do it. I present DefaultMount:

Just select the mount you want and no matter how many times you relog or reloadui it will finally stick. Maybe I'll fix it up a bit and throw it on Curse later but here's a link for anyone that's interested: http://tomed.org/priv/DefaultMount.zip

Once you get that on Curse and you'll become popular fast.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Can you return to the starter area you didn't choose (Northern Wilds/Grove) or is purely a one time only decision?

And thanks for the Esper comments, guys. I'll stick with the class a little longer and go from there. I was a bit concerned they were going to have a high skill ceiling but have no benefit to go with that. :v:

Yes; just go backwards through the areas and you'll find a ship that will take you to the very beginning of the Level 3-7 zones. The only location you can't return to is the Arkship, which has nothing actually missable as far as I am aware.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

How's the latency for people in Europe playing on US servers? Looking at videos of the combat, it seems like a game where you'd want it to be as low as possible.

I had a hell of a time dodging some of the faster telegraphed attacks in FF14 :smith:

I'm in the UK, and was playing on the US servers before the EU ones opened. The difference between the two is very noticeable. Fairly often on the US servers I'd get hit by dungeon boss telegraphs despite it looking like I'd got out in time. I think the tougher content is going to be really unforgiving of high latency, and personally I'd recommend EU players play on the EU realms.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

straw man posted:

1. Medic is a ton of fun. Cleverly combining the forward and backward blinks means sweet mobility.

2. BijiPlates seems like a necessity for PvP, but I can feel it eating my frames per second. The code looks... seriously over-complex, like it has too many loops and branches supporting too many features. That might be a naive assessment, this is the first WildStar addon I've even looked at, but I bet there will be a better nameplate addon soon.

That's the problem with addons, they're made by amateurs who write extremely lovely code. I probably came across a wow add on whose code didn't make me vomit once or twice but that's the exception.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

poptart_fairy posted:

Someone probably ought to make a quick guide for finding the warp back to the starter areas, they're obvious if you've come through the correct way but if you haven't done the zones some of them are in slightly unexpected places. They're all at the 'beginning' of the second zones but the precise location can be confusing. For Northern Wilds you come out of the ship in Tremor Ridge, but for Everstar Grove you pop out of a cave in the corner of Celestion. The two Dominion zones drop you off next to the first taxi stand, though actually finding your way to the first town blind is more confusing than the Exile zones.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ok this is a weird bug.

I can't chat at all... When I hit enter the chat box pops up, but nothing I types appears anywhere.

When I try and change input channel I get a message saying: No channels visible!

Also after a while of trying to chat enter will stop bringing up the chat box at all.

What?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Okay character creation is pretty tops.

I like to imagine my guy is this hyper-competent dude always frustrated by the fact that he's surrounded by hicks.

Haven't even finished the beginning area, need to do that and figure out settings/addons/whatever after work. Hopefully Medic/Scientist is a good matchup.

e: Combat seems to have potential but I really need to figure out how to toggle mouselook without having to hold RMB and how to bind at least the basic attack to a mouse button.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 11, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

When you click for an arrow on the Scavenger Hunt, it directs you to a location that has roughly 70m radius around where you're actually going to find your thing. This is so that you actually have to pay attention to the clue to figure out where it is.

The Scavenger Hunts can be kind of hit or miss. Sometimes to clue is really clear and you just immediately see where to go, other times it's like, "Shinies are under a rock!" and there's like fifty boulders around and you just have to circle all of them until you get told to dig. I think they're a better mission than Staking Claim, at least.

No, I know how they work. Sometimes though the location the quest tracker says to go to isn't actually where the clues lead to! But yea they're definitely better than staking claim.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The engineer has changed a lot for the better since the earlier beta weekends and I really want to play it live but the Stalker is gonna take it for me I think.

I just cant get over the self snare on abilities on a class that should always be casting combined with the telegraph based combat. Melee is gonna have its own problems but mobility over range is the more engaging to me I think.

Really enjoying the tone of the game as a whole and its a definite purchase for me. Some classes are not clicking with me but thats alright I guess.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So goons are all playing Chua in live, right?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So it seems like the limit of 300 objects on your property is more of a loose suggestion, since you can just keep placing things past that point without it stopping you. However, you can only have 20 objects generating sources of light placed at a time. That one does work properly.

And though 300 may sound limiting (and I'd personally like to see this limit raised, if it's ever properly implemented) A Cock Shaped Fruit's property has five fully custom, detailed structures on it that were entirely built from props(cargo receiving platform, chill-out lounge, hobo junk shack, a giant mechanical heart-thing, and a hunting lodge), each of which is roughly the size of one of the smaller property plugs. You can do a lot within that limit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's somewhat annoying that it feels like every single other person I meet is a Chua engineer or a Draken Stalker. I've seen a few other classes but there's definitely a glut of engineers, they're EVERYWHERE.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

It's somewhat annoying that it feels like every single other person I meet is a Chua engineer or a Draken Stalker. I've seen a few other classes but there's definitely a glut of engineers, they're EVERYWHERE.

Draken have the best stealth animations Dominion-side. :colbert:

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

Nechronic posted:

Draken have the best stealth animations Dominion-side. :colbert:

I've seen both "humans", mechari and zombie cyborgs so far and all of them are really badly done.
So yeah, might as well be the best in the game.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I just cant get over the self snare on abilities on a class that should always be casting combined with the telegraph based combat. Melee is gonna have its own problems but mobility over range is the more engaging to me I think.

Similar thing with Espers. Not being able to use the basic attack while moving is a bit of a dealbreaker. It wouldn't be so bad if the telegraphed stuff was kinda rare ala GW2, but it's extremely common.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they really should flipped the level 1 and level 11 Esper abilities around. It's a fantastic class now I'm higher level, but the static nature of its basic attack really threatened my interest.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

I like to imagine my guy is this hyper-competent dude always frustrated by the fact that he's surrounded by hicks.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

I threw up a little.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

WarLocke posted:

Haven't even finished the beginning area, need to do that and figure out settings/addons/whatever after work. Hopefully Medic/Scientist is a good matchup.

e: Combat seems to have potential but I really need to figure out how to toggle mouselook without having to hold RMB and how to bind at least the basic attack to a mouse button.

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220093-steer

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220129-keybindfreedom

You're welcome! I'm probably going to play Medic as well, mainly because these 2 addons saved the class for me. Enjoy! :)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I made Xanade for the open beta (Dominion side) and I wouldn't mind an invite when they go out.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

So it seems like the limit of 300 objects on your property is more of a loose suggestion, since you can just keep placing things past that point without it stopping you.

I thought the limit had been bumped to 750 a while ago. Is the UI just mislabeling the cap?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Pryce posted:

I thought the limit had been bumped to 750 a while ago. Is the UI just mislabeling the cap?

Yeah, it's showing 300 max Placed, 800 max Owned, 20 max Lights.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Or Mechari. :roboluv:

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

I'm playing an American Cassian.

The player housing is really impressive. I just arrived at level 14 last night - this is a really smart, well-designed housing system. It has a lot of the flexibility Galaxies had without trashing the landscape. This probably sounds lame to some, but sitting on my own property queueing for groups feels exactly how an MMO should feel.

If the PvP stays at Walatiki Temple quality, I think it has a bright future, too. Telegraph healing beats the pants off unit frames, and that battleground is actually a well-balanced, fun game - it's a new innovation on Warsong Gulch-style CTF.

How does the name pre-registration work if I order this through GMG?

e: player "housing"

straw man fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 11, 2014

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'm severely torn between Chua and Mechari engineer. It mainly depends on if I can get the name I want reserved.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Murodese posted:

Similar thing with Espers. Not being able to use the basic attack while moving is a bit of a dealbreaker. It wouldn't be so bad if the telegraphed stuff was kinda rare ala GW2, but it's extremely common.

This is true, but Espers at least have instant cast stuff to do on the move. And the abilities that you can cast on the move don't snare you. Engineers hard cast everything so you might as well always be moving through molasses if you want to be active in combat at all.

Esper is my favourite ranged class interestingly enough I guess.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Probably going to roll Medic. I'm leaning to Cassian/Mechari but I have a few friends playing and if they all roll Chua I will too.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
So as an update on my experiment with "housing" i.e. attempting to make a house that isn't actually a default house but still looks like a house:

Not really suggested.

While the tools for Advanced Editing include rotations across the three dimensions as well as a lot of control over scale, there's a few flaws with attempting to create a fully-fledged house. The rotations work on a scale of 6.28, which is to say, from a range of -3.14 to 3.14. This is a little bit confusing, because it ends up with every point for rotation is something like three-fifths of a degree, so you start to get really weird floating point inaccuracies in larger scale modifications.

Additionally, because of the lack of having a real house, a lot of options for remodeling are disabled, including lighting, wallpapers, and etc.. Decoration, as a result, becomes less of a benefit and more of a not-making-the-walls-look-generic.

The good news is that, from my experience so far, the best thing you can make out of random items cobbled together is a platform, which itself has a lot of possibilities - a tree-house, for example, is plausible, but impractical for the scale of a large house.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

While the tools for Advanced Editing include rotations across the three dimensions as well as a lot of control over scale, there's a few flaws with attempting to create a fully-fledged house. The rotations work on a scale of 6.28, which is to say, from a range of -3.14 to 3.14. This is a little bit confusing, because it ends up with every point for rotation is something like three-fifths of a degree, so you start to get really weird floating point inaccuracies in larger scale modifications.

.573 degrees yeah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

I figured it was radians. I don't remember how but every time radians came up in school I missed school somehow so I never actually learned how to handle them, so I find it incredibly confusing and unintuitive. Either way, I've had situations where things that should be parallel because they had the exact tilt but were spacially shifted slightly weren't actually parallel, and I don't even know.

• Locked thread