Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah they thought it was a fantastic idea to have no enemies in the game with the ability to resist lightning.

I did my 30 sunbro medals on the Ruin Sentinels and Smelter demon, and it was incredibly boring after a while. Stand in a corner, mash R1 and wait for the boss to die. Occasionally the Smelter Demon would realize that, hey, maybe I should kill the person who's killing me, and take one swing that I would roll out of the way, before he went back to trying to hit the dancing host.

Ruin Sentinels are hilarious to coop with. Host would go through the door, I count to three, and right on schedule the host would get face hosed with an overhead swing before I even got through the door. Every single time. (Then I went to do the boss myself, and I ate that first hammer as well :v:)

Any tips for PvP? I feel pretty gimped in PvP though. My general strategy is to try and trick them into eating an Emit Force to the face, which they'll panic and run away to heal up, which they'll then eat an Emit Force to the rear end. Generally I win very quickly, or lose very quickly, and the people who beat me are smart enough to stay close and by hyper aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
The lighting is great on the computer but the mods are leagues ahead. What else can they do?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Paracelsus posted:

For casting time, is a higher chime/catalyst "cast speed" value faster or slower?

I've been really disappointed with the effectiveness of sorcery. I suppose they wanted to nerf it compared to DS1 easy mode, but getting rid of the BDCR, PW, and the CoD would have been enough. I haven't been able to use Soul Greatsword or the really high-end stuff yet, but I'm basically just leveling Int to keep up my hex damage and using miracles and Dark Orb for my mainstays; I feel like Yearn has been the most useful sorcery thus far.

Emit Force seems to own Belfry Luna.

Seems like the only advantage Sorcery has is being trickier to dodge, like doing a homing soulmass and soul spear bait and switch in PvP. And the utility of Soul Greatsword. Other than that it's fairly weak in PvE.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ShadowMoo posted:

Tips for how not to die to the hippo creatures at the very beginning? Rolled swordsman.

If you are talking about the 2 near the coffin:

1. Knock down the tree shortcut.
2. Lure ogres to tree.
3. Wait for them to do their combo that ends with them slamming down on their back.
4. Watch them fall off the tree as they get back up. Enjoy your free souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Renegret posted:

Any tips for PvP? I feel pretty gimped in PvP though. My general strategy is to try and trick them into eating an Emit Force to the face, which they'll panic and run away to heal up, which they'll then eat an Emit Force to the rear end. Generally I win very quickly, or lose very quickly, and the people who beat me are smart enough to stay close and by hyper aggressive.

If they're being hyper aggressive and up in your face just spam your weapon. Get a single hit and you can stunlock them for a bit. Keep a weapon lightning infused for PVP, since elemental is better in PVP. Heide Knight Sword and Spear are good choices. Once you get further you can also buff them with SLB for crazy damage output.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kazil posted:

If you are talking about the 2 near the coffin:

1. Knock down the tree shortcut.
2. Lure ogres to tree.
3. Wait for them to do their combo that ends with them slamming down on their back.
4. Watch them fall off the tree as they get back up. Enjoy your free souls.

Also enjoy receiving the best weapon in the game from the young lady taking care of the old ones.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Genocyber posted:

If they're being hyper aggressive and up in your face just spam your weapon. Get a single hit and you can stunlock them for a bit. Keep a weapon lightning infused for PVP, since elemental is better in PVP. Heide Knight Sword and Spear are good choices. Once you get further you can also buff them with SLB for crazy damage output.

The only weapon I've been using is a morningstar which works well for PvE, but I have to practically be touching them for it to connect which doesn't play nice with lag.

I should probably switch to Mace since it has more reach, and I do have the Heide Spear that I'll enchant up. I'm not really focused on PvP with this character but who doesn't want to far up early Chunks as a bellbro?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a hidden bonfire somewhere near the Ancient Dragon or do I have to poison arrow my way through 20.000 hp worth of meatwalls every time he randomly decides to fly straight up and end the fight with an instant kill?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why do I keep getting invaded by hexers using washing poles who are absolutely loving terrible at this game? :allears:

Asehujiko posted:

Is there a hidden bonfire somewhere near the Ancient Dragon or do I have to poison arrow my way through 20.000 hp worth of meatwalls every time he randomly decides to fly straight up and end the fight with an instant kill?

Don't fight the Ancient Dragon.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
2-hand Sheild-bashed Vendrick to death. I am amazed at how strong 2-handing Havel's Sheild can be. Was totally worth the 45 strength to equip it.

Also, Amana's Shrine was a joke with that thing since it has 90% magic resist on block.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't fight the Ancient Dragon.

Yeah, four giant souls is enough to make Vendrick your bitch. You're not really intended to fight AD, he's not a boss fight as much as the game's hellkite dragon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
He doesn't even have a boss soul or drop anything useful. There's basically no reason whatsoever to fight this perfectly peaceful and helpful NPC.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The only thing the Ancient Dragon drops are delicious Dragon Steaks.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He doesn't even have a boss soul or drop anything useful. There's basically no reason whatsoever to fight this perfectly peaceful and helpful NPC.
After killing him, you can open a door in the Shrine of Amana and you can pick up his boss soul and the King's set.

Edit: Woops, for some reason I thought you were talking about Vendrick.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 11, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raygereio posted:

After killing him, you can open a door in the Shrine of Amana and you can pick up his boss soul and the King's set.

The Ancient Dragon is not Vendrick.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I rolled a Warrior build and have been having a lot of fun running high str/vit, I'm maybe a quarter through the game. I haven't tried rerolling any of my stats, though. Is it possible to take even more points out of Faith/Int and put them somewhere else? Should I do that?

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

QuarkJets posted:

I rolled a Warrior build and have been having a lot of fun running high str/vit, I'm maybe a quarter through the game. I haven't tried rerolling any of my stats, though. Is it possible to take even more points out of Faith/Int and put them somewhere else? Should I do that?

As far as I know, when you soul vessel it up you only get reverted back to your starting class stats at the beginning of the game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

QuarkJets posted:

When I had a little bit of Faith/Int I had lots of good use out of Poison Mist and the generic heal spell.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo dark magic is amazing :getin:

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Ciaphas posted:

Is 1.6M SM too much to get summoned for the Mirror Knight? I've been here like fifteen minutes.

I just want some sunlight medals :(

I was getting hits as a non sunbro for NG Mirror Knight at 2m+.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

As far as I know, when you soul vessel it up you only get reverted back to your starting class stats at the beginning of the game.

Which is fine, since every class in the game has the same number of stat points at start, just distributed differently. So a SL250 mundane build will have the same stats regardless of what starting class you took.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Asehujiko posted:

Summon a phantom or shade to help you clear through 12 deaths :pwn:.

My shrine was pretty much barren by time I worked out how to murder that drat dragon.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Well I thought OIK was easy but his secret, most powerful move is gently sliding you off the arena as he recovers from his swinging attack.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
While collecting some rewards for the bellkeeper covenant, I got invaded and accidentally attacked and killed the bellkeeper dwarf covenant leader. Any way to unfuck myself now? I was enjoying being a bellkeeper. :(

I've heard something about NPC graves? but I see no grave for him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mordiceius posted:

While collecting some rewards for the bellkeeper covenant, I got invaded and accidentally attacked and killed the bellkeeper dwarf covenant leader. Any way to unfuck myself now? I was enjoying being a bellkeeper. :(

I've heard something about NPC graves? but I see no grave for him.

You could always just talk to the dwarf at the other belfry

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You could always just talk to the dwarf at the other belfry

There's another belfry?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gently caress yes, and it only took 2 bonfire ascetics!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

There's another belfry?
Iron Keep. Illusory wall behind a Pharros facewall thingey

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I haven't gone that far yet. I only just finished up the Belfry Luna and Bastile.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Raygereio posted:

Also, once you get through it but before dropping back down where the bonfire is, there's another illusory wall with chests containing the Black Knight Sword, strictly for collection purposes since it's got really dumb stat requirements and isn't that great.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Office Thug posted:

Also, once you get through it but before dropping back down where the bonfire is, there's another illusory wall with chests containing the Black Knight Sword, strictly for collection purposes since it's got really dumb stat requirements and isn't that great.

That weapon is really good you're wrong hth.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Ahahahah, my god, those little wood carving voice messages are the dorkiest sounding things, hahah. Some guy kept dropping the "Very good" message after a Smelter assist and I was just dying.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I AM BECOME DEATH

Nearly 400 AR per fist, and yes, you can powerstance your bare hands with this ring :black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't seen any greatswords yet besides the drangleic sword, are there any that have a similar moveset and speed when two handed that don't require twinkling titanite? I don't know if they all handle differently. Also, crossbows are surprisingly handy when you have no magic. Just take potshots at the exploding mummies and they're a non issue. It fires faster than soul arrow too, so it's actually a little easier this way. Playing as a battlemage was a lot of fun, but at least at lower levels this melee build seems way better. I'm not sure anything will outclass great resonant soul and forbidden sun by the end though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Graviija posted:

Ahahahah, my god, those little wood carving voice messages are the dorkiest sounding things, hahah. Some guy kept dropping the "Very good" message after a Smelter assist and I was just dying.

Gough's carvings are probably the best thing the DLC added. I was so happy when I found out they were back I can't put it into words.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't seen any greatswords yet besides the drangleic sword, are there any that have a similar moveset and speed when two handed that don't require twinkling titanite? I don't know if they all handle differently. Also, crossbows are surprisingly handy when you have no magic. Just take potshots at the exploding mummies and they're a non issue. It fires faster than soul arrow too, so it's actually a little easier this way. Playing as a battlemage was a lot of fun, but at least at lower levels this melee build seems way better. I'm not sure anything will outclass great resonant soul and forbidden sun by the end though.

I think the vanilla claymore is exactly what you're looking for, but depending on how you progress through the game it might not be available until much later on.

Back on the PvP discussion, sticking a poison infusion on this manslayer katana I just found, winning strategy?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

The Royal Rat Authority seems WILDLY harder than any other boss that I've fought. Way harder than Smelter.

I'm 6 attempts in and have yet to even do a single point of damage to him. I can take out the four rats before he shows up, but he moves all over the place and that charge has basically no tell that I can even see -- I'm suddenly just on the ground with half health, and by the time I'm standing back up he's swiping again and I'm dead.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

EvilCornbread posted:

The Royal Rat Authority seems WILDLY harder than any other boss that I've fought. Way harder than Smelter.

I'm 6 attempts in and have yet to even do a single point of damage to him. I can take out the four rats before he shows up, but he moves all over the place and that charge has basically no tell that I can even see -- I'm suddenly just on the ground with half health, and by the time I'm standing back up he's swiping again and I'm dead.

Keep running toward his rear left leg, and hit the leg with a non-slow weapon.

How do you guys take screenshots in this game? When I do a print screen and paste it, I just get a white image.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

White Phosphorus posted:

Keep running toward his rear left leg, and hit the leg with a non-slow weapon.

How do you guys take screenshots in this game? When I do a print screen and paste it, I just get a white image.

Hit F12 and Steam takes a screenshot for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Graviija posted:

I do this all the time. Ideally while walking circles around the host. I started doing trick shots, throwing them off ledges or using gemotry to alter the rate at which you Very Good.

Bonus points of other people join in the Very Gooding.

Very Good. Very Good. Very Good. Very Good.