Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fanatec announced a new wheel rim for the CSW. It's a classic rim which appears to be nothing more than some metal, some leather and whatever electronics are required to make the wheel base recognize it. It will cost 350 dollars. Everyone is shouting about it but all Thomas seems willing to do is talk about the motors in the wheel. They make some decent products, but sometimes they really take a poo poo.

http://us.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/77/the-new-classic-wheel-rim-for-your-clubsport-wheel/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

boondocksts posted:

Are all the new tracks being posted to the AC forums, or is there somewhere else too?

Only explicitly authorized conversions of wholly user-created mods can be posted on the official AC forums, unauthorized conversions of mods (Willow Springs) or rips from other games (Joux Plane, from RBR) are verboten. RaceDepartment has a decent selection and is being updated frequently, though once the game reaches 1.0 and official mod tools are released I hope someone starts a dedicated site.

e: The nords conversion tree problem has been fixed and someone has released Zolder!

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

SanitysEdge posted:

Race cars are usually garbage to drive. The Exos doesn't interest me at all. You need tracks specifically designed for race cars to have any fun with them.

It's not like the Nordschleife was ever raced by proper race cars, right? ;)

Anyway, the current Schleife conversion is waaaaaayyyyy too bumpy, and I dont mean "nordschleife bumpy", but rather "this is a conversion from an ancient racing game and doesnt work very well" bumpy. The Laguna Seca conversion on the other hand is pretty smooth and fun to drive :)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Cojawfee posted:

Fanatec announced a new wheel rim for the CSW. It's a classic rim which appears to be nothing more than some metal, some leather and whatever electronics are required to make the wheel base recognize it. It will cost 350 dollars. Everyone is shouting about it but all Thomas seems willing to do is talk about the motors in the wheel. They make some decent products, but sometimes they really take a poo poo.

http://us.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/77/the-new-classic-wheel-rim-for-your-clubsport-wheel/

Never fear, they have now announced a NEW rim! It's the Formula Rim, but with some carbon fiber stuck to the front and only €70 more expensive than the stock Formula Rim.

I own the CSW and both rims so far and I am feeling like the victim of a bait & switch. Fanatec have gone insane.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
You can pay soooo much less for an actual steering wheel and rig it up yourself. 350 bucks for a wheel with no buttons? Fanatec is letting some sponsorships go to their head.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ringo Star Get posted:

You can pay soooo much less for an actual steering wheel and rig it up yourself.

Definitely considering doing this with my G27 (yes I bought the one posted in this thread :haw: ) in the future... as well as modding the pedals to be further apart/maybe mounted upside down... and maybe putting a gate and new knob on the shifter. :riker:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Assetto Corsa multiplayer is out http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-update-0-9-released/

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Does Assetto Corsa have time trials with online leaderboards in yet? I remember the original Forza had 12 or so challenges with preset cars and there was a huge leaderboard of the total times of everyone who has done it. I spent ages whittling down my times and ended up in the top 300. I'd love to see something like that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Cojawfee posted:

I cant get it to load but a wheel by momo or omp costs similar.

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Does Assetto Corsa have time trials with online leaderboards in yet? I remember the original Forza had 12 or so challenges with preset cars and there was a huge leaderboard of the total times of everyone who has done it. I spent ages whittling down my times and ended up in the top 300. I'd love to see something like that.

http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=hottest_combos

Closest we have so far I think, cars are not presets though.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Wow, that will more than do for me. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game but maybe Assetto Corsa can break that habit.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 9, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Walton Simons posted:

Wow, that will more than do for me. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game but maybe Assetto Corsa can break that habit.

Iirc, it's still discounted until its full release. Buy now - they are on build 0.9x now, they may put out a 1.0 soon like rF2 and update more from there

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
There is also this leaderboard: http://rivalitempo-softgrip.rhcloud.com/

They have a menu widget that allow you to pick a leaderboard with a car/track combo and a shortcut button to immediately load up a hotlap setup with that combo. They have in game widgets that do other stuff to, like have live comparisons to leaderboard leaders for the combo you are currently racing.

I haven't messed with it all that much, but it does work.

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.
Finished my first MP race in Assetto Corsa, and I have to say, it was pretty promising in all regards.

Which is to say the servers didn't implode, racing was fairly clean save for some overly aggressive driving in qualifying, and I finished ahead of someone. :unsmith:

Granted, I was also several laps behind when the race ended and my best lap was some 20 seconds off pace, but I shaved nearly 40 seconds off my initial practice laps so I'm pretty happy about that.

I've been terrified of actually going into races in iRacing because I had zero confidence in my own ability to at minimum not be a liability on the track, and still have zero confidence that the pubbies who have yet to be filtered out by iRacing's license system (e: yeah, I'm still in rookies) won't be either. Honestly I think logging some time in AC multi might be the solution to this, I'll build my confidence about driving in traffic and by necessity learn defensive driving, without worrying about bottoming-out my SR along the way.

Graceful Flop fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 10, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
btw, if anyone is having trouble loading modded tracks post-update

quote:

check the AC intallation folder/system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini for the following line
WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS=1

change the 1 to a zero

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
What's the deal with the MP for AC? I get in for the "Booking" and then just wait for the race to start? Is it a lot like iRacing?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

You can pay soooo much less for an actual steering wheel and rig it up yourself. 350 bucks for a wheel with no buttons? Fanatec is letting some sponsorships go to their head.

I wonder why Fanatec doesn't just sell some sort of DIY kit with the circuit board and mounting adapters. I'm assuming the sort of people who buy a $700 steering wheel already do that kind of thing anyway.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I wonder why Fanatec doesn't just sell some sort of DIY kit with the circuit board and mounting adapters. I'm assuming the sort of people who buy a $700 steering wheel already do that kind of thing anyway.

Fanatec's original plan around 2012~ was to release about a dozen wheels for the CSW; LMP, NASCAR, rally etc. If they released an adapter kit then you cant sell a lovely punched metal wheel with diarrhea brown leather for €/$350 because you could go to any motorsports website and buy a high quality wheel for half the price and bolt it on.

At this point I doubt anything else is going to appear from them, however.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm sure there's some way to make an adapter kit by Frankensteining another wheel, but it's not worth it. When you have to cannibalize a 150 dollar wheel to make an adapter, you might as well not bother. I'm sure some people out there have done a one off adapter for themselves, but only Fanatec would be able to do it and sell it. Even then it would still cost 150 dollars probably. They make decent sim hardware, but how they do business really pisses me off. Like for black friday they had a sale on just a wheel stand because that was the only thing they had a lot of in stock. You know black friday is happening, you know people want deals, why wouldn't you stock up on other things. The previous year they did a special where you buy one rim and get the other rim free. I would have done that deal and then later bought the CSW base. Here I am, still using the CSR wheel.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The crash physics in AC MP are hilarious. It's quite fun though. Doesn't touch iracing overall (yeah, Alpha, to be expected and the scope of the game is a bit different), but it's way better if you just want to hop into a race without being penalised for driving like a lunatic. Public races are a goddamn mess though haha.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I have yet to race in AC mp because of a lack of us servers and the fact that you can't join during practice time. Instead I've been driving the ring and teaching myself to heel-toe, and then practicing the joux plane downhill in anticipation of touge grudge matches...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I want a server gamemode where you can just drop in and do time attack with other people in whatever class. You know, like at the nurburgring.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Don't count on it. The booking mode is pretty much the antithesis of join-in-progress.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

What's the go-to shifter right now? I've got Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals now, with no shifter. The CSR shifter set is at a great price point, but it seems too low of a price compared to the ClubSport and Thrustmaster shifters. Would the CSR be a decent option until I do a full cockpit upgrade in a few years? Are there any other options in the ~$100 range?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I have the CSR wheel, the pedals and the shifter set. Of these I only regret the shifter set. It feels cheap and you have to do some home-made modding to get it to stop being annoyingly loud.

Edit: This weekend I dusted of the wheel for the first time in a year since putting my 360 and Forza4 away. I tried out Assetto Corsa and I think once that's released properly I need a 3-screen setup or preferably a Rift. The FFB is amazing compared to Forza4, although the "weight" seems to vary wildly from car to car. The differences seem a bit pretty extreme. Is or will there be a way to save FFB presets per car?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 11, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The CSS isn't too bad.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I have the CSR wheel, the pedals and the shifter set. Of these I only regret the shifter set. It feels cheap and you have to do some home-made modding to get it to stop being annoyingly loud.

Edit: This weekend I dusted of the wheel for the first time in a year since putting my 360 and Forza4 away. I tried out Assetto Corsa and I think once that's released properly I need a 3-screen setup or preferably a Rift. The FFB is amazing compared to Forza4, although the "weight" seems to vary wildly from car to car. The differences seem a bit pretty extreme. Is or will there be a way to save FFB presets per car?

Well, many real cars feel different from each other... a modern GT racer will have a very different feel compared to an old M3. I use the same settings on all cars except for drift cars, which have their own setup with only 600 degree steering and other tweaks like that. I haven't noticed anything so extreme that I have needed to adjust settings in AC.

rFactor 2, on the other hand, needs each car to be tweaked for me to feel comfortable with it. Each car's settings are saved and recalled automatically, though.

On the shifter note, I think I'll hold off for the moment and see if the Thrustmaster TH8RS goes on sale for a hundred bucks again. I think it's safe to say the ClubSport shifter won't be going on sale ever, knowing Fanatec...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Well, many real cars feel different from each other... a modern GT racer will have a very different feel compared to an old M3. I use the same settings on all cars except for drift cars, which have their own setup with only 600 degree steering and other tweaks like that. I haven't noticed anything so extreme that I have needed to adjust settings in AC.

Maybe I just got to get used to it a bit more, but at 80 FFB ingame (100 on the wheel) turning the E30 is real work while the E30 Group A feels like a feather.

Edit: There is no way to get into Project Cars at the moment, right? Because it seems to have a Caterham :syoon:

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 11, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Maybe I just got to get used to it a bit more, but at 80 FFB ingame (100 on the wheel) turning the E30 is real work while the E30 Group A feels like a feather.

Edit: There is no way to get into Project Cars at the moment, right?

Looks like I'll need to do some more racing today... for science! :science:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't get Assetto Corsa to play with my Driving Force GT wheel, it crashes the game when that wheel is selected. So i'm back to my tried and true racing sim, iRacing. I'm not a big fan of the track selection in AC so far anyways.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

The standard E30 M3 is noticeably harder to steer, yes. However, I don't notice any clipping or anything with my wheel. I've got my wheel at 100 and the game at 1.0 gain, so slightly higher settings than yours. The E30, iirc, didn't really have much power steering help, so that's realistic. If anything, you could set up a preset on your wheel with lower FF for those couple of cars that have less assistance. I don't know how you set yours up, but I've got two setups saved for rFactor 2, and two for Assetto Corsa.

I still haven't hopped on the iRacing train, but one of these days I'll sub up and destroy everyone's SR when my computer decides to switch focus to another program.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks. Just finished setting up again, gonna play with the settings a bit more. I already realized that I accidently had the drift setting on the wheel on 3, I normally have that off so that probably didn't help with the feel.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Buying into Project Cars in the first week seemed to have paid off pretty well for me. Driving the Formula C with r14-n tires around the ring felt like some kind of religious experience.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I really really wish I was able to get into the PCars beta, I think I missed it by a week or so. I just downloaded the rF2 version of the Ring from VirtualR though, and the spectators made bonfires!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I haven't been following the tire development, since I loathe Formula cars. What's so special to the R14?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I haven't been following the tire development, since I loathe Formula cars. What's so special to the R14?

I tried it out and the car skittered around like a gokart. That's one thing I hate about this game. You either accept the default tires which are usually garbage or try to figure out which of the five thousand tire models they have is the right one.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

I really really wish I was able to get into the PCars beta, I think I missed it by a week or so. I just downloaded the rF2 version of the Ring from VirtualR though, and the spectators made bonfires!

I wish the guy who was making the Ring had any idea what he's doing. He generally goes two steps forward in one area and five steps back in another. The track surface is pretty good but he absolutely will not stop messing with trees and terrain and never seems to get it right.

In Fanatec chat, it seems there's a THIRD new CSW rim being announced tomorrow; a stock car rim which will likely be also stupidly expensive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it's an actual NASCAR wheel, I'm guessing it has no buttons and costs 500 dollars.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
There's an attached imaged here: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/fanatec-announcements-updated-op.203494/page-346 (imgur is being dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Found settings I like and then spent an hour and a half just driving the 312t around. Really enjoying that bumpy approach to the two (medium) fast corners on Magione.

• Locked thread