Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder what Wayne's (ex) wife would have to say about all of this.

Also funny how Steven and Michael keep their mouths shut. For fear of the wrath of Wayne no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Holy crap because of this thread and the posts that stem from the hate that Wayne has brought forth I have listened to Mercury Rev and Polyphonic Spree for the first time and oh my god!

Also did Ronald ever do anything else? Play on any other albums? What if him and Drozd made an album together...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rear end Catchcum posted:

Holy crap because of this thread and the posts that stem from the hate that Wayne has brought forth I have listened to Mercury Rev and Polyphonic Spree for the first time and oh my god!

Also did Ronald ever do anything else? Play on any other albums? What if him and Drozd made an album together...

The Polyphonic Spree live cover album of the RHPS is one of my favorite things ever. They rule.

Ronald went crazy and hasn't done much. I found this interesting thing about some kids who interviewed Dennis and Wayne about him because they wanted to do a documentary:

http://www.uta.edu/english/docs/Creativeawards2012/NonfictionrunnerupBell.pdf

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Mercury Rev is one of the most under-appreciated bands ever...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys-EVaPePno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WIVredAdtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXY2HXldQ10

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

I just checked out Mercury Rev because of the recommendations and the song 'Holes' was the first one that came up on YouTube. Was this vocalist really in the Flaming Lips and putting out this music just before Flaming Lips' stylistic change? I just ask because holy poo poo, the similarity in style is uncanny :stare:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Still sad to see Kliph go. Loved his drumming and he seems like a hella cool dude.

On the upside, if this means Stephen goes back to being their main drummer then yee-haw.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

quote:

Ryan Drake ‏@Rayke 21h
I wrote a piece defending @WayneCoyne & none of my friends would publish it because it's fun to pretend he's crazy: https://medium.com/p/36b4458adb28

Wayne retweeting this poo poo.

---

On an unrelated/related note, I wonder if Kliph's involvement in Gruff Rhys's American Interior might have contributed to his sensitivity as well. From what I understand, the film and book examine the decline of indigenous communities in America, especially the various languages. One way to rob a culture of its power is to steal its symbols and treat them like they no longer matter.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 11, 2014

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Organs posted:

I just checked out Mercury Rev because of the recommendations and the song 'Holes' was the first one that came up on YouTube. Was this vocalist really in the Flaming Lips and putting out this music just before Flaming Lips' stylistic change? I just ask because holy poo poo, the similarity in style is uncanny :stare:

Yeah, what's the deal with who was doing what first? I mean, Yoshimi is my favorite record by the Lips so I'm super glad to have deserters songs but someone is getting ripped off depending on who was first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yeah, what's the deal with who was doing what first? I mean, Yoshimi is my favorite record by the Lips so I'm super glad to have deserters songs but someone is getting ripped off depending on who was first.

Well Deserter's Songs was definitely "first" - earlier I quoted that interview where Wayne says they were listening to it when they were making Zaireeka/Soft Bulletin.

Yerself is Steam was also pre-Hit To Death, and I think there are definite similarities there. But in that case, of course, it was as simple as the same guy being in both bands.

I do think it's a bit sad that the Lips are generally more successful than the Rev. See You On the Other Side got really shafted because Beggar's Banquet went tits up right after it was released.

e: The similarities between Deserter's/Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi could of course be explained by Dave Fridmann secretly writing all the songs :tinfoil:

precision fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 11, 2014

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I'd argue Boces and Yerself are better than Donahue-era lips. Truly manic, mental and chaotic tunes that they couldn't recapture once Baker left.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Speaking of David Baker, his solo album is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe1x-oApWt4

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Ronald worked on Richard Davies' album Telegraph-- he co-produced and played some instrumentation. That was like 17 years ago. I seriously don't think he's done anything since.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

chime_on posted:

Ronald worked on Richard Davies' album Telegraph-- he co-produced and played some instrumentation. That was like 17 years ago. I seriously don't think he's done anything since.

Telegraph is great. I was listening to it the other night and had forgotten how much I like it.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Still sad to see Kliph go. Loved his drumming and he seems like a hella cool dude.

On the upside, if this means Stephen goes back to being their main drummer then yee-haw.

Nope! They replaced Kliph with Matt Duckworth from Stardeath and Nick Ley from Colourmusic under the guise of the two being ~freaky psychedelic twins in green wigs~ or some dumb poo poo like that. I honestly have no clue why they're going to need two drummers to play 10 minute singalong versions of Yoshimi, but whatever.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

Telegraph is great. I was listening to it the other night and had forgotten how much I like it.

Nope! They replaced Kliph with Matt Duckworth from Stardeath and Nick Ley from Colourmusic under the guise of the two being ~freaky psychedelic twins in green wigs~ or some dumb poo poo like that. I honestly have no clue why they're going to need two drummers to play 10 minute singalong versions of Yoshimi, but whatever.

poo poo like this combined with Lipsha and Miley Cyrus collaborations make me feel like the Lips are about to go in a really terrible direction. I have to keep telling myself that the Kesha song was pretty good (though the Deerhoof would have probably blown it away) and that their collaboration EPs in 2011 were all loving great to have hope.

Like, I know the drummer probably isn't much to blame for it, but Stardeath loving sucks.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 12, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stardeath sound like a Flaming Lips cover band.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Eh, I'm still not that worried about the band's output. They've been doing gimmicky collaborations and cover albums for years now, but I think their core output (Embryonic, The Terror, Peace Sword) has been really consistently great.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Well Stephen still was almost always (always?) playing drums in the studio this whole time. He just doesn't play them live.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Eh, I'm still not that worried about the band's output. They've been doing gimmicky collaborations and cover albums for years now, but I think their core output (Embryonic, The Terror, Peace Sword) has been really consistently great.

Embryonic was good. I don't think The Terror was super interesting. It was very bleak and not really dynamic. The songs were great live but even this last tour was pretty one note (dark, dreary, purple) and the stuff they did to the old songs was really lame and blue balled me a ton. They'd get you thinking they were gonna rock out and just never did it.

Peace Sword was OK, I dunno, that and the collab album all had like...some B+ songs but no songs where I'm blown away.

This Mercury Rev poo poo is loving dope tho.

Opion
Oct 24, 2012
Just read through all this new Wayne/Kliph drama and it's got me all super disappointed. I still love the Lips, but haven't really gotten into their last few albums - a little bit too forced, "weird for the sake of weird" I guess.

On a side note regarding Wayne's descent into general douchebaggery, a very good friend of mine (who I regard to be one of the most ego-less, happy and caring individuals I've ever known) told me a story about the last time he went to a festival and saw the Lips. He'd seen them before, but this last time he mentioned how things seemed a bit strange - he caught a very odd vibe from Wayne, who apparently indirectly at one point said to the crowd that if they weren't on acid/mushrooms/ecstasy/etc., that they should go get some and watch the show. "He seemed evil", from what he told me, and apparently left the show because it put such a bad taste in his mouth. He's not the type of person to make such accusations towards people if he can help it, but reading how Wayne has been acting the last few years, it makes sense now. Bummer. :(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

My friend got a call back in 2006 in the middle of the night and he said it was incoherent muttering that sounded a lot like Wayne Coyne. He could only make out a few words, "recession...", "music filled anus..." and "world's longest sing along..." and then he hung up.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Opion posted:

Just read through all this new Wayne/Kliph drama and it's got me all super disappointed. I still love the Lips, but haven't really gotten into their last few albums - a little bit too forced, "weird for the sake of weird" I guess.

On a side note regarding Wayne's descent into general douchebaggery, a very good friend of mine (who I regard to be one of the most ego-less, happy and caring individuals I've ever known) told me a story about the last time he went to a festival and saw the Lips. He'd seen them before, but this last time he mentioned how things seemed a bit strange - he caught a very odd vibe from Wayne, who apparently indirectly at one point said to the crowd that if they weren't on acid/mushrooms/ecstasy/etc., that they should go get some and watch the show. "He seemed evil", from what he told me, and apparently left the show because it put such a bad taste in his mouth. He's not the type of person to make such accusations towards people if he can help it, but reading how Wayne has been acting the last few years, it makes sense now. Bummer. :(
I have zero problem with people piling on Wayne about how crazy he's acting but stuff like this is bullshit. The only substantial claim in your friends story is Wayne telling people to do drugs, which he's been doing his entire adult life.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

WASDF posted:

My friend got a call back in 2006 in the middle of the night and he said it was incoherent muttering that sounded a lot like Wayne Coyne. He could only make out a few words, "recession...", "music filled anus..." and "world's longest sing along..." and then he hung up.

I'm not sure if this is a joke but if it isn't- why would Wayne Coyne have your friend's number?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I have zero problem with people piling on Wayne about how crazy he's acting but stuff like this is bullshit. The only substantial claim in your friends story is Wayne telling people to do drugs, which he's been doing his entire adult life.

He said he was evil, like a cult leader. He was raving and singing songs about drugs. He was pushing them onto them and forcing open their mouths telling them to do the meth. He was like a drugs hitler.

Slackerish posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke but if it isn't- why would Wayne Coyne have your friend's number?
It was a joke, but that's super funny that it's come to this point where a post like that needs to be confirmed as a joke.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Eh...I've only been to one live show half a year ago, but it kinda seems legit. What I've gathered about Wayne and his stance on drugs in the old days was 'if you do them, be responsible'. While Wayne didn't outright say 'go do drugs and watch this show' he did bring up getting hosed up multiple times. Plus I thought it was well known that Coyne's drug use had been fairly recent. He used to only smoke weed and drink in the past, leaving the harder poo poo to Drozd.

Opion
Oct 24, 2012

Jeff Wiiver posted:

The only substantial claim in your friends story is Wayne telling people to do drugs, which he's been doing his entire adult life.

Which is what I find so strange about the whole thing. My point I guess was to mention that it was just the general vibe he got from Wayne that seemed a bit off, and now that all this poo poo is coming to a head, it kinda sorta makes sense. But I can't 100% confirm that he directly told people to do drugs, maybe more of a "Hey, if you aren't hosed up, go take care of that 'cause this show will be 1000x better if you are".

Regarding a post above me, he used to not be so much into drugs until recently, right? Someone needs to give the dude an intervention it seems.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Opion posted:

Which is what I find so strange about the whole thing. My point I guess was to mention that it was just the general vibe he got from Wayne that seemed a bit off, and now that all this poo poo is coming to a head, it kinda sorta makes sense. But I can't 100% confirm that he directly told people to do drugs, maybe more of a "Hey, if you aren't hosed up, go take care of that 'cause this show will be 1000x better if you are".

Regarding a post above me, he used to not be so much into drugs until recently, right? Someone needs to give the dude an intervention it seems.

At the concert I was at, he basically said "so who's going to get hosed up with us after the show/who's hosed up now?". Apparently my show was also the last one where Sean Lennon's band was opening for them, and he talked about how he was going to get hosed up with Lennon after the show too. He just seemed to be occupied with getting hosed up. Not that I really saw anything out of the ordinary about it, but I could see what you said happening along the same lines of what I saw.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Guess what! The Flaming Lips are co-writing and performing Miley Cyrus' new album! Isn't that just great, guys!? I'm so excited!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jump before the plane crashes, Steven. :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MajorB posted:

Guess what! The Flaming Lips are co-writing and performing Miley Cyrus' new album! Isn't that just great, guys!? I'm so excited!
My god, it's like new cars get added to the "lovely Flaming Lips news" train every day.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Hey guys! Come on in, the water's fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfQa-9-2XU
(kidding of course)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Actually, until pretty drat recently (like, probably the last 10 years or so) Wayne claimed he didn't do drugs at all. He says in Fearless Freaks that he had done acid as a kid but while the Lips were doing stuff the in 90s he just drank alcohol and smoked cigarettes. His "do all the drugs" attitude is very recent (I seem to remember something about him doing his first pill of X on his 40th birthday?)

Also in Fearless Freaks I think he says something about how drugs are kinda bad but you can do them if you want and you're careful.

Now he is literally saying "EVERYONE TAKE THE BROWN ACID" which is a radical change and also not cool, and that's coming from me, a guy who has done a loving lot of drugs and don't regret any of it.

MajorB posted:

Oh my God what the actual gently caress.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

MajorB posted:

I don't really mind this all that much. The Lips are talented musicians, and I'm sure whatever they do will end up just fine.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Actually, until pretty drat recently (like, probably the last 10 years or so) Wayne claimed he didn't do drugs at all. He says in Fearless Freaks that he had done acid as a kid but while the Lips were doing stuff the in 90s he just drank alcohol and smoked cigarettes. His "do all the drugs" attitude is very recent (I seem to remember something about him doing his first pill of X on his 40th birthday?)

Also in Fearless Freaks I think he says something about how drugs are kinda bad but you can do them if you want and you're careful.

Now he is literally saying "EVERYONE TAKE THE BROWN ACID" which is a radical change and also not cool, and that's coming from me, a guy who has done a loving lot of drugs and don't regret any of it.

I wanted to say this earlier, but it's especially sad he's like this now because he experienced first hand Drozd's descent in addiction. The Spiderbite song is partly about Drozd's heroin abuse, and I read somewhere that they got into a physical altercation about Drozd's drug use back in the day. Now Wayne's basically bragging about how now Steven's sober but Wayne uses all the time. I'm not straight edge by any means but I know and respect the damage drugs can do, and I just hope Wayne can get out of this.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

50th actually, I remember him posting on twitter that his wife hooked him up with some as a birthday gift. Bet she regrets that now.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

MajorB posted:

I may be in a tiny minority here, but I'm legitimately excited as gently caress for this if it actually happens.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

crankdatbatman posted:

I wanted to say this earlier, but it's especially sad he's like this now because he experienced first hand Drozd's descent in addiction. The Spiderbite song is partly about Drozd's heroin abuse, and I read somewhere that they got into a physical altercation about Drozd's drug use back in the day. Now Wayne's basically bragging about how now Steven's sober but Wayne uses all the time. I'm not straight edge by any means but I know and respect the damage drugs can do, and I just hope Wayne can get out of this.

Actually, about that whole Stephen being sober thing...

https://twitter.com/stevendrozd/status/465521973863677953

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I always thought it was heroin, not alcohol, that Steven had a history with.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WASDF posted:

I always thought it was heroin, not alcohol, that Steven had a history with.

He's had issues with alcohol too.

I don't know what to think of that picture. Seems odd but I doubt he's be broadcasting a relapse for the whole world to see.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

crankdatbatman posted:

He's had issues with alcohol too.

I don't know what to think of that picture. Seems odd but I doubt he's be broadcasting a relapse for the whole world to see.

Last time it happened in 2010 he was posting about drinking and hangovers every once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ironically, alcohol is generally worse for him than heroin, too.

• Locked thread