Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

White Phosphorus posted:

Keep running toward his rear left leg, and hit the leg with a non-slow weapon.
I ended up getitng him, but I never really even made it to his leg, I managed to dodge two attacks and squeaked in four sunlight spears, which was enough to kill him. Kind of unsatisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also enjoy receiving the best weapon in the game from the young lady taking care of the old ones.
Best part of NG+ is being able to power stance dual ladles:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got invaded in Iron Keep, at the Engyil Idol bonfire.

I wanted to fight the dude in the big open area below the bonfire, but he never showed up.

So, I started tossing "hello" carvings down the ladder.
Another few minutes, and he still wasn't coming, so I slid down and saw he'd somehow pushed one of the turtleknights just behind the ladder, and was himself waiting to ambush me.

So I beat him to death with my +5 Lightning Craftsman Hammer and a Lightning Spear.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cowcaster posted:

I think the vanilla claymore is exactly what you're looking for, but depending on how you progress through the game it might not be available until much later on.

I got a Bastard Sword drop of one of the swordsmen in the first zone.

G.I.Jebus
Jun 19, 2004
G.I.Jebus

EvilCornbread posted:

The Royal Rat Authority seems WILDLY harder than any other boss that I've fought. Way harder than Smelter.

I'm 6 attempts in and have yet to even do a single point of damage to him. I can take out the four rats before he shows up, but he moves all over the place and that charge has basically no tell that I can even see -- I'm suddenly just on the ground with half health, and by the time I'm standing back up he's swiping again and I'm dead.

He lowers his head to the ground before charges, every time. If you have a 100% shield block and the minions are down it's not too terrible. I just did a cycle of blocking the charge, running under his body to his back legs when he jumps after a charge and wailing on him while he does those front attacks. The major thing to remember it to drop locking onto him when you get behind him so you can see what he's doing. He's really slow and clearly telegraphs all his attacks. gently caress those minions though. I feel bad for any non-sorc. (homing + 6 heavies will kill all of them before the boss drops)

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I like accessorizing Havel's with a cool looking brown weapon. Had the same exact character in DS1, but with the great axe instead.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

G.I.Jebus posted:

He lowers his head to the ground before charges, every time. If you have a 100% shield block and the minions are down it's not too terrible. I just did a cycle of blocking the charge, running under his body to his back legs when he jumps after a charge and wailing on him while he does those front attacks. The major thing to remember it to drop locking onto him when you get behind him so you can see what he's doing. He's really slow and clearly telegraphs all his attacks. gently caress those minions though. I feel bad for any non-sorc. (homing + 6 heavies will kill all of them before the boss drops)

I managed to use a longbow to snipe all of the rats at a distance. Took 2 iron arrows each, and assuming I didn't miss any shots I was able to just barely kill them all before the boss reached me.

It's one fight I dread doing with my miracle caster, though I imagine I'm being paranoid and lightning bolts are going to trivialize it just like everything else I've faced so far.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Office Thug posted:

Also, once you get through it but before dropping back down where the bonfire is, there's another illusory wall with chests containing the Black Knight Sword, strictly for collection purposes since it's got really dumb stat requirements and isn't that great.

makes me so sad because that weapon was awesome in Dark Souls. :( I got it as the first drop from a Black Knight and it carried me through the whole game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

I think the vanilla claymore is exactly what you're looking for, but depending on how you progress through the game it might not be available until much later on.

Back on the PvP discussion, sticking a poison infusion on this manslayer katana I just found, winning strategy?

Ugh, if the Claymore is as good as it was in the first game then I'm going to have to build a character just to use that weapon. It was my favorite

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm operating under the assumption that it's better to be out of reach of attacks entirely rather than trying to get through them with iFrames (as opposed to DS1) but maybe I'm wrong? Hitboxes on most enemy attacks don't lend themselves well to being out of reach, and if I am, they reset before I can get an attack in.

Nah. Not so much that as the added iframe here and there doesn't often make that much of a difference, unless you are trying to dodge late so you have a larger buffer for rolling to get backstabs. Else, it is just good for helping you learn the attacks so you can dodge at the last possible second. Once you learn the attacks, you can respec those points elsewhere, if you want. Otherwise, being able to more quickly chug estus eat consumables helps. Having ADP doesn't hurt.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

King of Solomon posted:

Gough's carvings are probably the best thing the DLC added. I was so happy when I found out they were back I can't put it into words.

No words at all? Not even...VERY GOOD?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Oblivious posted:

No words at all? Not even...VERY GOOD?

I'M SORRY. :saddowns:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't seen any greatswords yet besides the drangleic sword, are there any that have a similar moveset and speed when two handed that don't require twinkling titanite? I don't know if they all handle differently. Also, crossbows are surprisingly handy when you have no magic. Just take potshots at the exploding mummies and they're a non issue. It fires faster than soul arrow too, so it's actually a little easier this way. Playing as a battlemage was a lot of fun, but at least at lower levels this melee build seems way better. I'm not sure anything will outclass great resonant soul and forbidden sun by the end though.

The derps in the Lost Bastille drop a Royal Greatsword with the same moveset as the Drangleic Sword.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Honest question: Have you ever agreed with anything anyone ever said in this thread? Jeez.

I'm operating under the assumption that it's better to be out of reach of attacks entirely rather than trying to get through them with iFrames (as opposed to DS1) but maybe I'm wrong? Hitboxes on most enemy attacks don't lend themselves well to being out of reach, and if I am, they reset before I can get an attack in.

Dodging INTO attacks is best in this game in my experience. The iframes count for more because their attack passes through you that much quicker. This is how I tank Smelter Demon for hosts while wearing robes and not even having a shield equipped. Dodge into his sword, dodge into Old Iron King's swipes, dodge into Pursuers swipes, dodge into Ironclad overhand smashes. I do this with a 93 Agility and it works fine.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

for whatever reason I actually put off on buying the carvings til near the end of the game and now they're a regular part of my PvP regimen. open with a "Hello!", give them a "Very good!" if it's a fun duel, let them know "I'm sorry!" when I beat them. haven't found much of a use for "Thank you!" yet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cardboard Box posted:

for whatever reason I actually put off on buying the carvings til near the end of the game and now they're a regular part of my PvP regimen. open with a "Hello!", give them a "Very good!" if it's a fun duel, let them know "I'm sorry!" when I beat them. haven't found much of a use for "Thank you!" yet.

I feel like if you don't use a carving at least 5 times in a row you're doing it wrong.

VERY GOOD VERY GOOD VERY GOOD VERY GOOD VERY GOOD VERY GOOD

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously, dodge into Glass Knight. You'll notice your character will just end up being pushed. Its pretty hilarious. I got swung across the map pretty far. Speaking of the talking stones, I'm surprised nobody has a made for custom voices on them.(unless not able to mod them) Granted they are perfect as they are.

I use thank you when I roll them off the cliffs. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

Back on the PvP discussion, sticking a poison infusion on this manslayer katana I just found, winning strategy?

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I'm doing what I did last game and going bastille > tower of flame > no man's wharf, etc.

quote:

The derps in the Lost Bastille drop a Royal Greatsword with the same moveset as the Drangleic Sword.

Time to grind.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

When you parry someone, you have just enough time to throw one carving before you riposte them. Perfect use for a "Thank you!"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Thank you is for co-op! Or when you backstab someone after they do something really stupid.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Cardboard Box posted:

THANK YOU is for the Clang Bangers when your gray spirit friend saves your life.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

I got a Bastard Sword drop of one of the swordsmen in the first zone.

I think the bastard sword has a overhead slam as its strong attack, not the nice thrust though? Might be misremembering.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

When you parry someone, you have just enough time to throw one carving before you riposte them. Perfect use for a "Thank you!"

ahahah I'll remember that if I ever successfully parry anyone

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Genocyber posted:

People who poo poo on dex are dumb. Yeah it's a worse than str for PVE (tho dex weapons are much better for PVP, generally speaking) but not by an insane amount. I've done several dex based runs and had a lot of fun. Just keep two weapons on you at all times in case one of them starts to run out of durability. You even get a large weapon option in the form of Murakumo or Arced Sword.

The fact that the scaling is worse than str doesn't really mean anything since scaling is just straight up bad in general.
That was my impression too, but DEX is significantly lacking in PVE. My entire DEX run I could still out-damage most enemies with a less upgraded mace, which was highly annoying because I went all-in for DEX and it never managed to outshine strike weapons. But when it comes to PVP, I found hitting first and with lighter weapons is kinda a big deal. STR weapons only have a monopoly on effectiveness in PVE.

The caestus are great for STR builds in PVP. At +10 they have STR/DEX A-scaling so no need to be a pure STR build either. The big downside is hosts that heal can just... outheal your backstab. Is there any good dagger for backstabbing that scales well with STR or does well with no scaling?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cowcaster posted:

Unless you're maybe a Dex build, a maxed out poison infusion manslayer will only poison superheavy armor people that you can land multiple hits on. Otherwise it'll murder people before you get them poisoned. Out of 20-odd fights I only poisoned 3 people. 2 of which were dumb and let me land consecutive hits on their heavy armor (one was fatrolling), and the third I had to get super aggro to get the poison to start.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God drat it seconds before I beat the lost sinner Lucatiel decides she doesn't really need to block anything and dies.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

God drat it seconds before I beat the lost sinner Lucatiel decides she doesn't really need to block anything and dies.

She can take like 50 hits from Lost Sinner, and she goes down like a bitch even if you fight her alone.

Just murder lucatiel you'll get her armor and sword anyhow.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

I think the bastard sword has a overhead slam as its strong attack, not the nice thrust though? Might be misremembering.

Claymores have thrust? I'll have to switch then. Regardless, the Bastard Sword is available earlier.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dodging INTO attacks is best in this game in my experience.

Yeah, this is how you dodge. Dodge towards their swing, or in PvP, dodge towards them so you end up behind them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Claymores have thrust? I'll have to switch then. Regardless, the Bastard Sword is available earlier.

Aside from scaling and weight the Bastard Sword and the Drangleic sword are literally identical to each other from what I remember.

edit: whoops, apparently the bastard sword has different strong attacks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Aside from scaling and weight the Bastard Sword and the Drangleic sword are literally identical to each other from what I remember.

edit: whoops, apparently the bastard sword has different strong attacks

Different 2h attacks entirely. Drangleic and Royal both do this flippy diagonal slash that seems faster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobnumerotres posted:

She can take like 50 hits from Lost Sinner, and she goes down like a bitch even if you fight her alone.

Just murder lucatiel you'll get her armor and sword anyhow.

She went in halfdead because she rubbed her face against six mummies I already walked away from. I'm just going to off her.

Meanwhile I just saved Straid and drat the pursuer ultra greatsword is big.

e: Wow this thing blows in pvp.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 11, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the Pursuer Ultra Greatsword isn't bad in PvP, you just need to upgrade it and learn how to use it. the fact that its second swing goes wherever you tilt the analog stick can be hugely beneficial, I've gotten a lot of people while they were mid-roll with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's too slow, basically any other attack will hit first, the hitbox seems to sail past the dudes, and it doesn't do a remarkable amount of damage compared to the unupgraded drangleic sword. What am I missing? A fuckload of poise?

Haha, I just invaded the world of HULK, and the white phantom SMASH. They smashed me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So how do you get to Drangleic castle after beating all the bosses beforehand? She didn't even give a hint that I noticed

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you recall, in the Shaded Woods there was a bonfire with 3 possible paths from it, but only 1 you could actually take.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

turtlecrunch posted:

If you recall, in the Shaded Woods there was a bonfire with 3 possible paths from it, but only 1 you could actually take.

I'll have a look thanks. I ended up just running through the fog until I lucked out on a bonfire and then learned that wasn't the way I should have gone yet

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Genocyber posted:

If they're being hyper aggressive and up in your face just spam your weapon. Get a single hit and you can stunlock them for a bit. Keep a weapon lightning infused for PVP, since elemental is better in PVP. Heide Knight Sword and Spear are good choices. Once you get further you can also buff them with SLB for crazy damage output.

People who are in your face are generally doing it because they want you to spam your weapon so that they can roll and backstab, parry, or combo you themselves. At least it's what I've been doing and it works really well for me except against weapons that track you with the backswing. But yeah you have to be smarter than just wildly swinging.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can you parry greatshield bashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SL1 runthrough trip report: Holy Water Urns are going to carry me through this goddamn game.