Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Waffleman_ posted:

The official story is that Game Grumps didn't give Jon much time to work on his own show, which was a common sentiment among the fans. His own output has been much more frequent since leaving Grumps.

Also, his output has been of a much higher quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Testekill posted:

Also, his output has been of a much higher quality.

Yes, especially since he started what he calls "Season 2." JonTron may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like him a lot.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Oh hey it's that thing I did.

Today I'd tell you to go read Dark Id's LP instead if you want the full experience, but at the time this really was a case of me finding a copy of the game at the exact moment that the whole LotL story broke and just seizing the "opportunity". Plus I half remembered my brother actually posting advice to these guys on a forum somewhere almost half a decade earlier and trying some kind of test build.

I can't apologize enough for that ridiculous sequence of screenshots to cover the crime in... I think it was act three? But yeah. I've wanted to do more adventure games since but haven't given myself time. It was actually through doing that playthrough that I even learned about LP in the first place and started visiting the forums here.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Germaine to the newest RP, my friend is in love with Bro Force for some reason and wanted to show me some gameplay footage, so we search "Bro Force gameplay" and all of the results are Let's Plays and have commentary over 'em. He's eager to jump into one of the Yogscast or Jessie Cox videos, but I tell him that I don't really care for any of these people and don't want to have my impression of the game be influenced by some yammering assholes. For pages, there was literally no gameplay videos without commentary. And there likely isn't in general because we couldn't find any plain gameplay videos from the developers either. It might just be that this is a (pretty mundane) indie game made by some high school kids, but I think it's pretty problematic that you can't separate this game from another personality; it's just an accessory to the uploaders.

I know I ran into a somewhat similar thing with Okami, where the first Capcom official video was like the fifth result and the first results are various parts of Chuggaconroy's LP. Same with Totalbiscuit and God Hand, but at least Saur and Mike Kobayashi are on the same page and let the game do its thing as much as showing showing off what you can do with the game without blabbering over it, you know, making the game look fun and getting me to go out and get it.

Huh, just did a cursory search on a big hyped up game instead, and it's not much better for The Last of Us with RadBrad as the first result with almost 5 million views, and PDP somehow having more but lacking "official" status. I dunno, maybe it's obvious that the popular thing on Youtube would take precedence, but the whole thing just kinda irks me. If I'm really curious about a game I can just find a thread on it or go directly to the developers website, but if people are just wondering what the game even is, they just wind up with a Gamingoist to put a poo poo filter over the game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
After watching the retsupurae of Richard Gamingo I decided to make a quick stop over on his YouTube profile just to see what all was there after largely ignoring his stuff. I was immediately confronted by something I wasn't ready for (make sure you have annotations on, it's important), and I lost pretty much all desire to look at anything else.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Onean posted:

something I wasn't ready for (make sure you have annotations on, it's important), and I lost pretty much all desire to look at anything else.

Eh-hem.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Welp, I completely forgot that was him. :downsgun:

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Onean posted:

After watching the retsupurae of Richard Gamingo I decided to make a quick stop over on his YouTube profile just to see what all was there after largely ignoring his stuff. I was immediately confronted by something I wasn't ready for (make sure you have annotations on, it's important), and I lost pretty much all desire to look at anything else.

Yeah, that's Gamingo. Also, he was again recently probated for dumping his LPs in another thread. Again.

(seriously can he be banned for doing this yet he doesn't stop)

Much like I did for Dark Souls, I'm looking up LPs of Dark Souls 2. I've seen many interesting things, but I think this has to top them all. Now, I didn't know what ASMR was initially, so I did a quick Wiki search.

Wikipedia posted:

Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a neologism for a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, and/or cognitive stimuli. The nature and classification of the ASMR phenomenon is controversial.
I don't know if it works. Personally, I have a headache because he keeps talking in low whispers and the sound is literally driving me mad, but hey, we reached the next evolution in LP: LP therapy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Onean posted:

After watching the retsupurae of Richard Gamingo I decided to make a quick stop over on his YouTube profile just to see what all was there after largely ignoring his stuff.

Wow he somehow makes Broforce look like it's not a fun game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

gameplusmeagan posted:

I don't think she's the reason Jon left; in fact, I have something of a crackpot-type theory for why Jon left.

Watch this video for an early promo for Steam Train (before Jon left Game Grumps):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afr3aO3jtn0

I dislike this video a lot because if they had just cut the whole thing off after "That was a little weird" "I don't think so" it would've been a million times funnier.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RSCNyx posted:

I don't know if it works. Personally, I have a headache because he keeps talking in low whispers and the sound is literally driving me mad, but hey, we reached the next evolution in LP: LP therapy.

All I know is my headphones are replicating the sound of him smacking his lips and tongue with such accuracy, that I had to close the thing out of disgust fairly quick. Sounds like that REALLY get emphasized when everything else is real quiet.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Game Grumps just seems to work better for compilation stuff :staredog: The few times I've jumped in to a playlist or full playthrough (leaving it running in the background), it's just never entertaining. Bear in mind that I play this expecting some decent white noise, and even then I just stop it after a video or two. I stumbled over this video a few minutes ago after looking at gameplusmeagan's link, and it's a fun video so far. O'course, at this point it's just listening for jokes/banter rather than an LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40_qrufiAJ8

(only seen five minutes in, and, knowing my luck, it's likely chock full of lousy jokes for the remainder)

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

Onean posted:

I was immediately confronted by something I wasn't ready for (make sure you have annotations on, it's important), and I lost pretty much all desire to look at anything else.

This has to be the world's greatest parody.

Geop posted:

Game Grumps just seems to work better for compilation stuff :staredog:

The disappointing thing is that everyone involved in Game Grumps is genuinely entertaining and funny. The content they put out by themselves tends to be great, and they still have some funny moments, but the sheer volume kind of drowns that out. I really enjoyed their Shadow of the Colossus LP and a good chunk of their Pokemon Fire Red LP (both relatively recent), and it's fun to watch them play games that are extremely loving obscure (The Goonies II, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer), but then they have some clunkers come along and poo poo things up (that Dark Souls 2 LP, oh my loving god).

JordanKai posted:

At least their editor had the decency to put up a trigger warning? :smithicide:

To be fair, it originally didn't - then some people spoke up against it and Arin decided to add it. He apologized for it afterwards as well, and spoke up against some guy on Twitter telling people to "grow some balls" or some poo poo.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I like Game Grumps but anything that makes Dark Souls fans upset is A-OK in my book.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Monicro posted:

I like Game Grumps but anything that makes Dark Souls fans upset is A-OK in my book.
They were always bad, but at least I haven't heard them making gross burps into the mic before...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Game Grumps suffers from having no real filter. There may be good stuff in there, but it's all buried in screaming and weird obscenities. It's something that most of Egoraptor's stuff suffers from. If you go watch Sequelitis, it sounds like he's having a kidney stone.

It's weird looking back on the stuff that you liked in high school and realizing it was just a grown-rear end man who found a target demographic and never looked back.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Forgall posted:

They were always bad, but at least I haven't heard them making gross burps into the mic before...

You've obviously not heard them enough then, they do it all the time.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
On a different subject, does anyone else here watch Stream Friends? They've been putting their playthrough of Face Noir up on youtube this past week, and it's really funny.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Not exactly sure if this belongs here or Sandcastle, so I'll ask here:

As a viewer of streams, do you guys find it off-putting if someone uses another person's stream page? Someone brought this up during a stream of mine and it sparked a moderately interesting discussion, so I wanna see what you guys think.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Highwang posted:

As a viewer of streams, do you guys find it off-putting if someone uses another person's stream page? Someone brought this up during a stream of mine and it sparked a moderately interesting discussion, so I wanna see what you guys think.

I'm not quite sure I follow. Uses as in takes videos from another persons twitch or something?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Forgall posted:

That's almost what the early megaman and kirby videos entirely consisted of, them making gross sounds and talking about it. Utterly impenetrable to me.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Testekill posted:

I'm not quite sure I follow. Uses as in takes videos from another persons twitch or something?

Nah, My friend has a twitch account and I stream on it as well for kicks and to pal around with friends. Apparently some people find it odd though, while others dont mind.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
There's nothing odd about that. There are quite a few streaming communities which have multiple streamers that take turns and such. There was one in particular I used to visit called DEEP GAMES which had quite a few and there were open applications to join as a streamer available. The community itself was pretty toxic though, so I'm not sure if they're a good example.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Highwang posted:

As long as your viewerbase knows that you're sharing your streaming channel between multiple people, I don't think it would be much of a worry.

If you don't give them disclosure, though, I can see quite a few people being confused!

For those who don't know, Twitch (and possibly other streaming sites, but I don't know off the top of my head) does have an option to share your Stream Key with others, so then they can also stream on your account. It makes things convenient if you're in a group that streams often. Naturally, you wouldn't wanna share this with just anyone.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Highwang posted:

Nah, My friend has a twitch account and I stream on it as well for kicks and to pal around with friends. Apparently some people find it odd though, while others dont mind.

I personally don't see anything wrong with that.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Game Grumps suffers from having no real filter. There may be good stuff in there, but it's all buried in screaming and weird obscenities. It's something that most of Egoraptor's stuff suffers from. If you go watch Sequelitis, it sounds like he's having a kidney stone.

It's weird looking back on the stuff that you liked in high school and realizing it was just a grown-rear end man who found a target demographic and never looked back.

This is kind of a problem with YouTube LP: It rewards high volume output.

On a non-Game Grumps example, someone showed me a funny Tobuscus video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBDAcOEKuI

Obnoxious custom thumbnail aside... it's honestly not bad. Toby seems like he has some chops, but it seems like he discovered that it's just easier to do Happy Wheels with the same four voices endlessly. Apparently his original stuff is actually pretty good, but it's more the exception due to "gently caress it, watch me play games." Even the Annoying Orange got in on the LP act.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Even the Annoying Orange got in on the LP act.

Woah!? I had no idea about this! Is it just a scarecam with Annoying Orange over a video game? ...As if it could be anything else...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Samiz posted:

Woah!? I had no idea about this! Is it just a scarecam with Annoying Orange over a video game? ...As if it could be anything else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv33DpC9cjQ

I got a commercial for Advil, which is kinda fitting.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Of course it's Flappy Bird. Stupid concept, stupid jokes, stupid game choice.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

slowbeef posted:

I lasted about 20 seconds before I said, "gently caress this" and closed the tab. That's...saying something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to recommend kikoskia in general. His commentary is fairly solid and he does some really really entertaining tabletop RPG games.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Going to recommend kikoskia in general. His commentary is fairly solid and he does some really really entertaining tabletop RPG games.

I've seen him recommended before and I started watching a little of his Mount & Blade let's play. He doesn't LP any game I'd enjoy to watch right now but perhaps his Deus Ex: Invisible War LP; is it any good?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samiz posted:

I've seen him recommended before and I started watching a little of his Mount & Blade let's play. He doesn't LP any game I'd enjoy to watch right now but perhaps his Deus Ex: Invisible War LP; is it any good?

I haven't actually watched that because I played DE:IW and it's... not really an experience I wish to repeat.

I'll have a quick look and see if it's his usual style.

Edit: From the looks of it it's his normal style so I would say 'yes, as long as you don't find his habit of replying to dialogue incredibly annoying'.

I think it's some sort of verbal tic, grates on me a little bit, but otherwise I'd probably compare him to Your Evil Twin on SA, possibly in part because they're both competing in the incredibly English world championship.

I mostly watch his RPG stuff, and occasionally use his minecraft LP as a sleep aid, but his other stuff isn't too bad, fairly informative and thorough in his playthroughs and usually good at the games too. Just like I said, he tends to reply to dialogue for some reason, so I favor his stuff that doesn't have ingame dislogue.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 12, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

slowbeef posted:

gently caress, that background image is just creepy as gently caress. Isn't Annoying Orange one of the most popular channels on YouTube, too? Do people enjoy being haunted by nightmarish visions?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

gently caress, that background image is just creepy as gently caress. Isn't Annoying Orange one of the most popular channels on YouTube, too? Do people enjoy being haunted by nightmarish visions?

My niece loved Annoying Orange. When she was 8.

Watching it, it seemed like a fine sketch on its own (I mean, geared to kids). It's kind of saddening - LP is just sort of a "go-to" for easy, cheap content.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

inthesto posted:

It's even got a show on Cartoon Network, starring, oddly enough, Tobuscus!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wind God Sety posted:

On a different subject, does anyone else here watch Stream Friends? They've been putting their playthrough of Face Noir up on youtube this past week, and it's really funny.

Hey, I sometimes watch them! Admittedly mostly through their weird association/one-sided rivalry with the runbutton guys.

To be honest I don't think they're really anything special, just a couple of people who play games (well, Phil Kollar is a reviewer) and decided to stream said playing of games. But I enjoy an occasional video or two about a game I'm interested in.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

From the looks of it it's his normal style so I would say 'yes, as long as you don't find his habit of replying to dialogue incredibly annoying'.

I'll check it out then, thanks!

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

slowbeef posted:

My niece loved Annoying Orange. When she was 8.
I kind of felt the same when I watched the old Angry Video Game Nerd again; it was hilarious when I was younger but now they're just kind of stupid. Though he has aged with his audience and I think his latest videos are a bit more targeted to an audience a little older than his earlier videos. Another difference is that James Rolfe makes a lot of good stuff besides AVGN and AVGN just has a younger target audience, which I like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Samiz posted:

I kind of felt the same when I watched the old Angry Video Game Nerd again; it was hilarious when I was younger but now they're just kind of stupid. Though he has aged with his audience and I think his latest videos are a bit more targeted to an audience a little older than his earlier videos. Another difference is that James Rolfe makes a lot of good stuff besides AVGN and AVGN just has a younger target audience, which I like

I used to watch AVGN quite a bit, and still check him out from time to time. He's best when he's not doing unfunny sketches in his videos. For example, his AVGN Christmas thing from last year is a "wish list" thing of sorts where he covers a lot of games people have popularly recommended over the years. He spends only a little time on each game, which leaves really only time to be a little informative about the game, and I thought it was actually pretty good. I do agree that he's kind of aged with his audience a bit.

IMO, Rolfe is most interesting when he's talking about films. I like his Monster Madness stuff every October, and he has a couple other videos here and there, like his thoughts on all of the Star Wars films, and some of his favorites, which are good watches (mainly because I'm really big into movies, myself).

• Locked thread