Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

sweeperbravo posted:

For some reason it reminded me of the things Made of Meat used to post. Am I the only one that remembers her? Good for everyone else, if so, and perhaps the tides of time will be equally as kind to me

Well, I had forgotten about her. But now I remember everything. Thanks.

Urgh, she was one of the creepier tropers the old threads ever covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Since she isn't in the OP's list, I'll bite the bullet here: How terrible is/was she, exactly?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Regalingualius posted:

Since she isn't in the OP's list, I'll bite the bullet here: How terrible is/was she, exactly?
From what I recall, she was some morbid, "edgy" 14-year-old who was worth taking seriously because ????

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
She was an odd teenager who posted creepy stuff. Then she had a breakdown, started stalking another poster, and got banned and had to go to a mental hospital.

I don't really feel good making fun of her because of that latter stuff. Just such a nasty affair.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

She was an odd teenager who posted creepy stuff. Then she had a breakdown, started stalking another poster, and got banned and had to go to a mental hospital.

I don't really feel good making fun of her because of that latter stuff. Just such a nasty affair.
I knew I was forgetting something. :smith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
She was also really big into self-harm.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, Made of Meat is left out because she was (is maybe?) genuinely mentally ill and going after her for that is a bit of a low blow. I hope she's got the help she needs by now.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
I have no idea if this was brought up earlier, but they've created subpages to put their favorite characters as gods. With subcategories such as Heroes, Villains, Friendship, Family, and... Personal Appearance. It's a trope page for part of their loving forum games.

(For the record, I found this because I was poking around the Persona 4 Trivia page and noticed they were listing loving gods. Not the gods Persona is known for, the characters as literal gods.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CommanderCoffee posted:

I have no idea if this was brought up earlier, but they've created subpages to put their favorite characters as gods. With subcategories such as Heroes, Villains, Friendship, Family, and... Personal Appearance. It's a trope page for part of their loving forum games.

(For the record, I found this because I was poking around the Persona 4 Trivia page and noticed they were listing loving gods. Not the gods Persona is known for, the characters as literal gods.)

There are some really stupid ones. Flynn, the main character of Shin Megami Tensei IV, is listed as the god of Samurai top knots or something.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
I was poking around that Pantheon and

This is in their 'Gods of Craft' Section posted:

The Nostalgia Critic, God of Caustic Criticism (Formerly the Plot Hole)
Intermediate God ( Might have been an Overdeity when he merged with The Plot Hole.)
Theme Song: "The Review Must Go On."
Symbol: His head on a Warner Bros Circle
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Caustic Critic, Going Batshit On Certain Revelations, Berserk Button, Running Gag
Domain: Fun, Nostalgia, Craft, Entertainment, Anger
Followers: Everyone from his site (Linkara, Nostalgia Chick, etc)
Allies: Optimus Prime, Ma-Ti
Rivals: Simon Cowell, The Angry Video Game Nerd (Originally they were enemies to each other though they eventually became friendly rivals after the Nerd's victory over him)
Enemies: M. Bison ("How dare he get tired of my "OF COURSE!" schtick... But I do approve of his costume choice during his violent coup"), Malachite, Ferdinand von Terl/Turrell
He remembers his name, so his followers don't have to.
In his mortal life, he was killed several times, but Optimus Prime always came to save his life... by dying for his sins.
Was once the greatest enemy of The Angry Video Game Nerd but after a ceremonious event celebrating his anniversary, they have been friends.
While he respects Batman, the Critic really will go batshit if any mention of the Bat Credit Card is said within earshot.
Once tried to stage a violent takeover of the Pantheon with select members of his site. While initially successful, he soon went mad with power, leading to infighting amongst his group and being forced to step back into his natural place as the god of Critics.
Once attempted to find an artifact called 'Hand of Malachite', only to face the wrath of the sorcerer Malachite. Saved with the Heroic Sacrifice of Ma-Ti, Critic now vows to bring him back to full strength.
Unfortunately, the attempt to save him was useless, as Ma-Ti had grown bitter for being a joke to the critics and was using him to go to the Plot Hole and enter reality. Critic decided to return to his world and lay Ma-Ti's soul to rest.
On September 13, 2012, the Nostalgia Critic shed his mortal shell for the final time and merged with the cosmic anomaly known as the Plot Hole. While his future is unknown, he has officially retired as a critic.
There was once a time when it was believed that the Nostalgia Critic was actually one of many names of a creator god named Doug Walker. This is proven false when the Nostalgia Critic, prior to merging with the Plot Hole, meets Doug Walker himself (Also known as "The Writer") and learns that he had created the Nostalgia Critic, who had evolved beyond his expectations.
Ever since he merged with the Plot Hole, the Nostalgia Critic has not personally visited the Pantheon, instead opting to talk to the other gods via phone. There is a rumor that he had become a muppet but he always denies it every time he is questioned.
His stint as The Plot Hole has since ended, downgrading himself from omnipotence and back into his former position (Intermediate God), albeit with a bit more flexibility.
He is on rather lousy terms with the House of Commerce ever since he had to sit through Foodfight!.

Of course that guy is a 'god'.

And also

This is in their 'Gaming' Section posted:

Chuggaaconroy, ProtonJon and NintendoCapriSun, Gods of Let's Play (Emile-Chuggaaconroy, Jon-ProtonJon, Tim-NintendoCapriSun, The Runaway Guys)
Demigods (Their powers of video games combined let them reach Intermediate God status)
Symbol: The Runaway Guys Symbol
Alignment: Chaotic Good/Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Let's Play, Large Ham, Dream Team, being incredibly incredibly loud, not giving up on difficult levels, exceptionally good gamers...sometimes, epic hilarity, weaponising karma, explaining mechanics and trivia in their works.
Domains: Fun, Hilarity, Video Games
Allies: Gods of games they have let's played (which includes Mario and Amaterasu, Yoshi, Link, etc.), Mat and Pat, Roahm Mythril
Alone, they were powerless. But when they teamed up together, their power was so great that they ascended into the Pantheon.
That said, the three also have their own rooms in their Temple for their own projects. NintendoCapriSun has the most games in his pocket (many of them falling under Self-Imposed Challenge), Chuggaaconroy is the most prolific and ProtonJon, the originator of the three, and his Super Mario mods. Visitors are allowed to look around and get advice on how to advance the games, or have a good laugh at what goes on.
Each of these three are specialized in different areas. Chuggaaconroy is said to be Born Lucky, ProtonJon is said to be the one that runs away the most, and NintendoCapriSun is said to be exceptionally well with non-joystick based games.
Note: if you do not want to get on their bad sides, do NOT ever remind Chuggaaconroy about the Steve incident. Nor should you scream "MOVE FASTER, POKEY!" or "Don't eat the Mushroom" to ProtonJon. Saying, "In the bathroom!" along with NintendoCapriSun is fine though.
The volume that these three generate can sometimes match with ones of Gentaro/Kamen Rider Fourze, BRIAN BLESSED, and Kamina. It is said that the heavens would crumble if their voices merged.
If anyone hears someone scream "GAAAAMEEEE!!!", they had just heard ProtonJon being screwed over by Mario Party... multiple, multiple times.
They once held a special tournament with other LPers. Chuggaa once mentioned that Diabetus should be considered the God of Let's Play, but ProtonJon suggested against that. Diabetus even suggested that while he created the concept of Let's Play, the Runaway Guys deserved to be the symbol for all of them.
Chuggaconroy's luck is so great, that if he should ever be reborn as Pokémon Trainer, all of the Olympus Mons (particularly Arceus) had better pray that he's not wielding a Pokéball. Chances are he's gonna capture them in it. He wasn't Born Lucky for nothing. His attempts in Pokémon capturing include capturing both Groudon and Latias in Nest Balls (both of them close to full health), Kyogre in a Net Ball and Ho-Oh in a Pokéball. The House of Knowledge calculated that the chances to capture them were slim to none.
ProtonJon is considered The Mentor for both Chuggaa and NintendoCapriSun as they were both inspired by him to create Let's Plays. Thus, he plays the biggest part in their ascension as gods as a whole.
NintendoCapriSun is said to be an exception singer and can make lyrics in a heartbeat. Despite this, he denied a place in the Pantheon of Music and wants to focus more on his Let's Plays. He also can hold his breath for a long time, once starting off a race by screaming "Let's get ready to RUMMBBLLLLLLLEEEEE!" for at least an hour. He could've held it longer.
They frequently make comments on how Bowser Land is the 'happiest place on Earth'; the Villainous Gods agree on that statement.
Not to mention that Bowser Revolution is like Communism.
They are extremely popular in the House of Technology, mostly for the laughs the Gods get when they see them in action.
The three host a little event known as "Thrown Controllers" every now and then. Everyone is free to participate in a videogame quiz/challenge hybrid. They will also accept any challenges in this event—but they will not go easy on you. To be prepared, one must have an encyclopedia of videogame knowledge (ranging from the Konami Code to how to spell out "Tatsumai Senpuukyaku") and skill (such as surviving Battletoads and fighting Glass Joe blindfolded) in order to be out on top.
ProtonJon has recently received the power to weaponize Tempting Fate. One should be careful when playing games against him; he will invoke Tempting Fate to screw his opponents over.
The Runaway Guys have a fierce rivalry with Mat and Pat in the House of Friendship and the five get into epic Let's Play contests with one another. It makes a killing in the House of Commerce to see which side gets the most Epic Fail moments, who screams the loudest, and most importantly, who wins in the end. They also invite Roahm Mythril to their matches.
The three usually play Mario Party but really hate it whenever they fight Peach. It's not that they don't like her, but it's just that she is a monster to fight against on harder difficulties.
ProtonJon is never allowed to have coffee after the higher-ups saw this.
Dudley and Professor Layton once came and gave the three some lessons on politeness, and so the trio used it during an adventure across Sackboy's temple of LittleBigPlanet. It only lasted 30 minutes.
Due to the "Steve" incident, Pikmin are to be kept away from the Guys' temple. Early after their ascension, when the Runaway Guys were still in the House of Theater, the Pikmin, being the way too plentiful pests they can be in other houses, snuck into Chugga's room. Upon seeing a red leaf Pikmin, his resulting scream was so loud that it shattered every window in the pantheon and left several sound-power based gods clapping in respect.
Because of the above incident, when the House of Gaming was being built, the other gods suggested that each of the guys' rooms, plus the meeting chambers they record in, be soundproofed with reinforced adamantium, except for Chugga's room, which got two layers.
Among the members of the gaming house, Chuggaa is considered to be more morally ambiguous than NCS and Jon are, due to his extreme fanboyism towards the house of Villains (especially Bowser and Hades).
Chuggaa also has stated how he ships Viridi and Pit. He was just one second away from Viridi dropping a Reset Bomb on the House.

The only one I've heard of is ProtonJon.

I hate this site. So much.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Regalingualius posted:

Made of Meat was legit mentally unwell and it would have been pretty lovely of us to have been using her as an example of Tropers being freaks and dumbasses.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, Made of Meat is left out because she was (is maybe?) genuinely mentally ill and going after her for that is a bit of a low blow. I hope she's got the help she needs by now.

The person who used to post as "Made of Meat" is somebody I know. Her TVTropes posts are untreated early-onset schizophrenia talking. She's on medication now and doing much better.

So yeah, the Made of Meat stuff is a lot less funny in-context.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Saeku posted:

The person who used to post as "Made of Meat" is somebody I know. Her TVTropes posts are untreated early-onset schizophrenia talking. She's on medication now and doing much better.

So yeah, the Made of Meat stuff is a lot less funny in-context.

:unsmith: It's good to hear that she's getting help.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

CommanderCoffee posted:

I was poking around that Pantheon and

Of course that guy is a 'god'.

And also

The only one I've heard of is ProtonJon.

I hate this site. So much.

Tropers need to get laid. Maybe if they have sex with a real person they can stop obsessing over awkward Internet nerds.

Seriously though, why so much investment in a bunch of homely fucks. At least when I watched Pushing Daisies because I had a crush on Lee Pace, I had the excuse that he was attractive and had a nice voice. Trying to listen to basically anyone on that fourth wall site just makes me start vomiting bile uncontrollably.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Testekill posted:

Made of Meat was legit mentally unwell and it would have been pretty lovely of us to have been using her as an example of Tropers being freaks and dumbasses.

Is she the one who was obsessed with Green Day and used to poo poo up any thread about science or space exploration?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have to ask: are the recommended pages on TvTropes (the ones at the bottom of a given page) based on overall site popularity? Because you go digging for sperg material, and every single recommendation sends you to a fetish trope or a Getting Crap Past the Radar page.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have to ask: are the recommended pages on TvTropes (the ones at the bottom of a given page) based on overall site popularity? Because you go digging for sperg material, and every single recommendation sends you to a fetish trope or a Getting Crap Past the Radar page.

Yes they are. They're generated by Taboola, some sort of search/ad engine, so yes, the pages you see linked are the most popular pages searched.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Bargearse posted:

Is she the one who was obsessed with Green Day and used to poo poo up any thread about science or space exploration?

No that was The Snoo, I think.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

While we're on the subject of forgotten tropers, who was the one who posted a "how to fix Africa" thread consiting of a picture of a mushroom cloud?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SerialKilldeer posted:

While we're on the subject of forgotten tropers, who was the one who posted a "how to fix Africa" thread consiting of a picture of a mushroom cloud?

Berkley (or was it Barkley??), I think? Or was it My God It's Full of Stars? Major Tom?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Berkley (or was it Barkley??), I think? Or was it My God It's Full of Stars? Major Tom?
It was Barkey.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It would be kinda hilarious if a stereotypical right-wing rear end in a top hat called himself "Berkley" though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

There was also Natasel, who thought that the best way to end violence in Africa and the Middle East was to traffic huge amounts of weapons there so either everything would calm down due to MAD or they'd all kill each other off.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Don't forget Savage Heathen, who suggested funding Somalian militants to kill all the Muslims.

That thread was less "fixing Africa" and more "genocide fantasies".

EDIT: I found the thread if you feel like taking a trip down memory lane. I forgot the thumping and mod hat nonsense.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 11, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there was a massive dispute over one of those threads; somebody comes in and suggests "genocide is the solution to Africa's problems" and when everyone called him out, they got in trouble because they were dogpiling him, and his opinion was obviously purely hypothetical, so they were also being immature for taking him seriously (meanwhile, the people who agreed with the original guy didn't even merit the mods' attention).

That was a pretty ugly episode.

On a lighter note, I'm also reminded of that My God, It's Full of Stars dude, who said he wished he'd lived in the Middle Ages or during the Scramble for Africa because it was much more exciting and daring, and he hoped there would be a colonial war over the surface of the Moon for the same reason.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
From 2 months ago in the "Male Roles Vs. Female Roles in Fiction: Discussion/Analysis/Troperwank" thread

Deboss posted:

My favorite roll model was Tony Stark before he got kidnapped by terrorists. I mean, he still did things I wouldn't have, but most of what he did was praise worthy.

I suspect part of the issue with roll models is that they're usually supposed to be idealized rather than deeply flawed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I do not like this, TVTropes. I do not like this at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You may not like it, but everybody else searches those tropes AALLL the time so clearly it's the most popular thing we can show you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

From 2 months ago in the "Male Roles Vs. Female Roles in Fiction: Discussion/Analysis/Troperwank" thread

I'm trying to figure out what the hell he's trying to say, and I think the problem is that I know what those words actually mean.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Don't forget Savage Heathen, who suggested funding Somalian militants to kill all the Muslims.

That thread was less "fixing Africa" and more "genocide fantasies".

EDIT: I found the thread if you feel like taking a trip down memory lane. I forgot the thumping and mod hat nonsense.

Never at any point during all that did he think that Somalian militants aren't Muslims, did he? Like, I'm fairly certain that they're overwhelming Muslim, considering the power of the Islamic Courts and that al-Qaeda had been able to do business there.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I was surprised he didn't consider, oh, HAL 9000 a "roll" model and instead chose the most entertainingly charismatic lead performance of any actor in a modern day comic book movie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Never at any point during all that did he think that Somalian militants aren't Muslims, did he? Like, I'm fairly certain that they're overwhelming Muslim, considering the power of the Islamic Courts and that al-Qaeda had been able to do business there.

He's an anarchist with a seething hatred for everything and (possibly) a huge "gently caress YOU DAD" complex, so I doubt he didn't stop to think.

I think he said he wanted to set up an anarchist paradise on a Pacific island even if it meant wiping out the natives there, someone said that was pretty imperialist, and he responded with something along the lines of "it's not imperialist if it's multicultural". (I might be misremembering this)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

DStecks posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the hell he's trying to say, and I think the problem is that I know what those words actually mean.

He thinks the bit where Tony mentions feeding poors as justification for his arms dealing is deep and complex rhetoric. He wants to be the supernerd that has money and fucks cover girls.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

what is that woman doing to her teeth

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

DoctorWhat posted:

Of all the Awkward Zombie comics to be used as a TVT page image... :ughh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Awkward Zombie was making fun of it happening in a specific game. TV Tropes, being a totally appropriate PG 13 website that hates lolicon, went ahead and documents whenever children in fiction dress creepy.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Suspicious Dish posted:

what is that woman doing to her teeth
Unfortunate scaling, and I'm pretty sure that she's not a woman per se in the first place. :rolleye:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Tony Stark doesn't do any of the things Deboss would do, because "push shopping carts" and "post interminable idiotic screeds on embarrassing fansite" don't make for cinematic gold.

Though it would be interesting to see Lars Von Trier's take on a Troper's life.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Razorwired posted:

He thinks the bit where Tony mentions feeding poors as justification for his arms dealing is deep and complex rhetoric. He wants to be the supernerd that has money and fucks cover girls.

And I don't even remember that from Iron Man, because all I really remember of pre-kidnapping Tony is that he's supposed to be a comprehensively lovely person; superficially "cool" but utterly without morals.

If Iron Man had been released as a Christian film, with the only alteration to the plot a minor scene where Tony Stark becomes born again, it would have been called massively unsubtle. It would have been called Invincible and starred Kirk Cameron and been terrible, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Except for some pokegirl spinoff game or something?

quote:

Forget Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action - hot Unicorn-On-8-year-old-Cute-Ghost-Girl action is where you start asking yourself how much you REALLY want that egg...

quote:

Since this game is 'adults only', and produced by basically one guy, the creator has gleefully set forth to include things no 'big-budget' game would ever dare use. Thus, available Puppets include a White Trash Biker Dwarf with access to special moves such as 'Domestic Violence' and 'Hate Crime', and the Ameise, a nazi ant with access to a selection of genocidal moves (and the 'Self Portrait' special, of course)

... yeah.

• Locked thread