Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Poultron posted:

By the way, are there any Exile goons left on the Nexus server? OP seems to think it's dead, but I'd love to talk to some goons in game during Open Beta.
All of us IRC jerks seem to be in Dominion. I too tried to poke the list of Exile names once or twice but came up empty. If you can't be bothered to reroll you can at least hang out in IRC or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Phrasing posted:

I like Medic, but Medic seems to be one of the most popular classes by far and that irks my unique snowflake.

As usual, goon consensus is about as far as you can get from the actual population: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/21bnwo/has_carbine_released_any_metrics_about_population/cgbuwoh

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

CrashCat posted:

All of us IRC jerks seem to be in Dominion. I too tried to poke the list of Exile names once or twice but came up empty. If you can't be bothered to reroll you can at least hang out in IRC or some poo poo.

I don't plan on being Dominion on release unless all of my personal friends end up being Dominion. Then I'll roll a Chua.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arzachel posted:

As usual, goon consensus is about as far as you can get from the actual population: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/21bnwo/has_carbine_released_any_metrics_about_population/cgbuwoh

What's the cognitive bias where you notice things like you (car model, MMO class) more than others so get the idea that they're everywhere?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Ok fair enough but I wonder what the numbers look like now? That data is a month old.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Phrasing posted:

Ok fair enough but I wonder what the numbers look like now? That data is a month old.

300k isn't a small sample size so I'm willing to bet they are pretty similar.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Phrasing posted:

The previous counts I've seen were pretty much the same except Esper and SS numbers being a tad higher and Warriors being slightly lower, Medics being last by a good margin. It's possible that the open beta has shifted that a tad, but worst(best?) case Medics are about equal instead of being the least populated.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Does anyone have a picture of a chua in a cowboy hat? I have one in one of those moodie masks, but that might help with my decision.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

By the way, I hate to ask this here, but Googling this hasn't given me anything. I get extremely low FPS in this game. Way lower than I should be, on ANY graphical settings. My PC is definitely not the best (my CPU in particular is hideously outdated, but still relatively strong), but I can't even break 30 FPS on Ultra Low. That seems ridiculous to me. Other games run just fine, even though I usually have to turn the settings down just a tad.

I've already tried deleting everything in the AppData folder, as well as using DX9 mode, but neither seems to help. I have tried disabling/enabling vsync, and tried disabling a few addons that seem to hog frames, but nothing works. I did used to run some addons but even with no custom addons it's the same. My relevant specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz
RAM: 6 GB DDR2
GPU: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Game also makes my card run pretty hot, though I have a feeling that's because it's like 90 degrees here.

Poultron fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 11, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Poultron posted:

Your processor is seven years old. It's time to upgrade.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Poultron posted:

Game also makes my card run pretty hot, though I have a feeling that's because it's like 90 degrees here.

That's close to what I'd expect on those specs but - no joke - have you cleaned the dust out of your fans and heatsinks lately?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'll let you know when I have money. Unfortunately I need to upgrade the mobo as well to upgrade the CPU. I basically need to entirely replace almost everything in the rig but the GPU and PSU. However, this is not an issue for other games - I should at LEAST be able to break 30 FPS on Ultra Low. I'm not expecting 100 FPS on Ultra High here.

straw man posted:

That's close to what I'd expect on those specs but - no joke - have you cleaned the dust out of your fans and heatsinks lately?

I actually haven't, and probably should. I usually do it about every six months (I know that's too long but I am lazy)

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Poultron posted:

I actually haven't, and probably should. I usually do it about every six months (I know that's too long but I am lazy)

Sometimes it feels like that makes things faster. Could be the placebo effect, though.

One other thing, I don't know if this is widely known but it applies to every game. If the performance is intolerable even at the lowest settings, you can turn the resolution down. It'll look significantly worse, but if you're going from say 1080p to 1200x800, you're cutting the graphics card's workload in half.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Poultron posted:

By the way, I hate to ask this here, but Googling this hasn't given me anything. I get extremely low FPS in this game. Way lower than I should be, on ANY graphical settings. My PC is definitely not the best (my CPU in particular is hideously outdated, but still relatively strong), but I can't even break 30 FPS on Ultra Low. That seems ridiculous to me. Other games run just fine, even though I usually have to turn the settings down just a tad.

I've already tried deleting everything in the AppData folder, as well as using DX9 mode, but neither seems to help. I have tried disabling/enabling vsync, and tried disabling a few addons that seem to hog frames, but nothing works. I did used to run some addons but even with no custom addons it's the same. My relevant specs are:

RAM: 6 GB DDR2
GPU: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Congratulations, it's like that for me and a bunch of other people. I'm at a loss what's the cause but the game pegs the GPU at 100% and the difference between the highest and lowest graphics settings at native res is maybe 5-10 fps. I managed to get the game to >50 fps when pointing the camera at the wall or floor in the tutorial sections, worst case is looking at distant geometry, dropping down to <20 fps. Worst thing is that there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the hardware it happens to.

Rhymenoserous posted:

This would be good advice if he was CPU limited.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 11, 2014

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Poultron posted:

I'll let you know when I have money. Unfortunately I need to upgrade the mobo as well to upgrade the CPU. I basically need to entirely replace almost everything in the rig but the GPU and PSU. However, this is not an issue for other games - I should at LEAST be able to break 30 FPS on Ultra Low. I'm not expecting 100 FPS on Ultra High here.

WildStar, like other MMOs is a CPU-bound game. Those video settings you are messing with change GPU-bound settings -- you won't notice any difference in your framerate between ultra low and the upper bound of your GPU. The short answer is to upgrade your CPU. The long answer is that the GPU-bound settings in this game are only the shiny graphics effects that are right up in your face and adjusting the video options won't make much of a difference at all if you're being capped by your CPU. Carbine has acknowledged that the game is not optimized for multi-threaded computing right now; this is why most people have poor framerates. They're working on it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Protokoll posted:

WildStar, like other MMOs is a CPU-bound game. Those video settings you are messing with change GPU-bound settings -- you won't notice any difference in your framerate between ultra low and the upper bound of your GPU. The short answer is to upgrade your CPU. The long answer is that the GPU-bound settings in this game are only the shiny graphics effects that are right up in your face and adjusting the video options won't make much of a difference at all if you're being capped by your CPU. Carbine has acknowledged that the game is not optimized for multi-threaded computing right now; this is why most people have poor framerates. They're working on it.

This is bullshit, the tutorial ships are nowhere near CPU limited even on pretty ancient hardware and the GPU fan noise is a giveaway that it isn't being underutilized.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Arzachel posted:

This would be good advice if he was CPU limited.

Protokoll posted:

WildStar, like other MMOs is a CPU-bound game.

Arzachel posted:

This is bullshit, the tutorial ships are nowhere near CPU limited even on pretty ancient hardware and the GPU fan noise is a giveaway that it isn't being underutilized.

Might be good to post a screencap of this guy along with performance issues

* which reminds me, more standard windows stuff. defrag if you don't have an ssd, start->run->"msconfig", "hide all microsoft services" and go to town on anything shady in the "services" and "startup" tabs. or if, like me, you've let your windows 7 install rot for eighteen months, just format it and start over

straw man fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 11, 2014

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Arzachel posted:

As many people have pointed out, for many users the game is CPU bound most of the time. This is why for many of you, adjusting the options don't seem to help much; the options mostly affect GPU performance. In order to solve this, we need get more of the game to run in parallel on more cores. Unfortunately, this is a time consuming and fairly difficult task; code on one core has to be careful not to modify data in use on other cores. Mistakes could result in an access violation and a crash; to make things worse, reproducing the crash is difficult because it depends on timing between the cores. Writing multithreaded code isn't easy :)

But we are making progress - the next patch coming out has several more optimizations of this nature, as well as a fix for the target frames, which was causing some stuttering when moving around the world. This patch should go live early next week.

The main time when the frame rate is GPU bound is during large special effects right in front of the camera. We're currently adding some options to limit the number of those particles - these will take a little longer but should make it in before launch.

I can't promise these two fixes are going to make the game run like butter on every pc out there, but I can promise incremental ongoing improvement up to and beyond launch.

Thank you,
Sean

Believe what you want.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42544-client-optimization/page-5#entry421165

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Don't know why I bothered buying a multi-core all those years ago if developers still aren't going to bother with multithreading.

I've been meaning to upgrade this poo poo as soon as my paycheck allows anyway, but I was hoping that I could at least get a stable 30 FPS going without the game looking like complete garbage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Little things I like about this game:
1.) The Madonna-esque gap in her teeth.
2.) The fact that hair has a separate model when wearing a hat.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Poultron posted:

Don't know why I bothered buying a multi-core all those years ago if developers still aren't going to bother with multithreading.

I've been meaning to upgrade this poo poo as soon as my paycheck allows anyway, but I was hoping that I could at least get a stable 30 FPS going without the game looking like complete garbage.
Multi-threading code in games tends to be very difficult to write and causes a large amount of bugs for relatively little gain. Multithreading is awesome for video production and the like, but it's probably never going to see much use in games.

Echoing the other post though, definitely dust out your poo poo. I actually dusted my PC today for the first time in 3 months and my GPU temp literally dropped by 20C in Wildstar. Also, if you haven't done so (and are comfortable doing it), the Q6600 handles overclocking extremely well - especially if your particular chip has G0 stepping.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
^^^this guy actually knows what he's talking about, not like me

Poultron posted:

Mostly because it lets your OS offload the optimized poo poo onto idle cores while it throws around jobs elsewhere. But I agree. Something as heavy as a game should be capable of utilizing technology like that from the outset.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Echoing the other post though, definitely dust out your poo poo. I actually dusted my PC today for the first time in 3 months and my GPU temp literally dropped by 20C in Wildstar. Also, if you haven't done so (and are comfortable doing it), the Q6600 handles overclocking extremely well - especially if your particular chip has G0 stepping.

It's actually already overclocked, haha. It's normally at 2.4 GHz, I've OCed to 3.0 GHz.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

-Inu- posted:

Multi-threading code in games tends to be very difficult to write and causes a large amount of bugs for relatively little gain. Multithreading is awesome for video production and the like, but it's probably never going to see much use in games.

When you multithread, the execution time goes like this

but the developers' paychecks go like this

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.

WildStar Login Screen posted:

NCSoft login service start timeout

Anyone else having this issue? I've been unable to log into the game at all.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Protokoll posted:

As many people have pointed out, for many users the game is CPU bound most of the time. This is why for many of you, adjusting the options don't seem to help much; the options mostly affect GPU performance. In order to solve this, we need get more of the game to run in parallel on more cores. Unfortunately, this is a time consuming and fairly difficult task; code on one core has to be careful not to modify data in use on other cores. Mistakes could result in an access violation and a crash; to make things worse, reproducing the crash is difficult because it depends on timing between the cores. Writing multithreaded code isn't easy :)

But we are making progress - the next patch coming out has several more optimizations of this nature, as well as a fix for the target frames, which was causing some stuttering when moving around the world. This patch should go live early next week.

The main time when the frame rate is GPU bound is during large special effects right in front of the camera. We're currently adding some options to limit the number of those particles - these will take a little longer but should make it in before launch.

I can't promise these two fixes are going to make the game run like butter on every pc out there, but I can promise incremental ongoing improvement up to and beyond launch.

Thank you,
Sean

Believe what you want.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42544-client-optimization/page-5#entry421165

Best case.

More complex, no distant geometry.

Distant geometry, complex scene.

Distant geometry, complex scene min settings.

Distant geometry, complex scene max settings.

Distant geometry, simple scene.

Two cores loaded at 30-50%, 100% GPU utilization except when changing graphics settings (performance is identical when closing Opera for another 1GB of RAM)

Your quote would generally be true if not for what I can only guess is the geometry rendering code choking on random hardware configurations. Carbine, please provide me with access to the source and your preferred profiling tools, tia.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 12, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I'm level 15 but can't do an Adventure. Apparently I need some item to unlock it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Arzachel posted:

Best case.

More complex, no distant geometry.

Distant geometry, complex scene.

Distant geometry, complex scene min settings.

Distant geometry, complex scene max settings.

Distant geometry, simple scene.

Two cores loaded at 30-50%, 100% GPU utilization except when changing graphics settings (performance is identical when closing Opera for another 1GB of RAM)

Your quote would generally be true if not for what I can only guess is the geometry rendering code choking on random hardware configurations. Carbine, please provide me with access to the source and your preferred profiling tools, tia.

In the previous thread someone said that on many configurations the game is not doing occlusion culling, I dunno if that is true but it would fit with the symptoms here.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

cams posted:

I'm level 15 but can't do an Adventure. Apparently I need some item to unlock it?

You need to discover the entrance. It's in Thayd/Ilium. Marked by a purple circle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

These performance issues remind me of what happened with Star Wars the Old Republic. That game was brutal for everyone and it took about 6 months post-launch for Bioware to optimize the game so it ran better.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Arzachel posted:

I'm going out on a limb but if you go into the resource manager->memory tab is the "Hard Faults/sec" graph nonzero? I have a 650TI and it's doing way better than this.

I'm wondering if the 100% utilization means the GPU is just blocking while the OS pages obscenely large texture files between system memory and the disk

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I have the weirdest bug. Whenever I click on the reputation tab on my character screen, the entire screen except for my UI goes black and I get a "Housing Error: Housing action failed" notice in my chat box. :psyduck: /reloadui reloads the ui, but the rest of the screen is still black.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I have the weirdest bug. Whenever I click on the reputation tab on my character screen, the entire screen except for my UI goes black and I get a "Housing Error: Housing action failed" notice in my chat box. :psyduck: /reloadui reloads the ui, but the rest of the screen is still black.

Maybe try DirectX 9? https://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/30051093-WildStar-crashing-with-DirectX-10-11

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Haha, just took my first taxi travel. My game essentially just locked up for two minutes while I listened to elevator music and the taxi's quips.

Really want to buy this game but the performance issues are tough.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

cams posted:

Haha, just took my first taxi travel. My game essentially just locked up for two minutes while I listened to elevator music and the taxi's quips.

Really want to buy this game but the performance issues are tough.

Did you do the fix mentioned in the thread earlier? I really can't stress how huge the difference was for me, before and after.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

That fix only works for people who have old config files that need deleting because they've installed past betas of the game before, it won't do anything for a new player because they don't have any outdated configuration to remove.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

I said come in! posted:

These performance issues remind me of what happened with Star Wars the Old Republic. That game was brutal for everyone and it took about 6 months post-launch for Bioware to optimize the game so it ran better.

Not to be dismissive of the issue, but this reminds me of every MMO I've ever played. They're all terribly optimized, at first at least. The only one I remember that actually played well compared to how good it looked was FF14's rerelease, which had to be optimized to run on consoles.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I can't understand why you would ever release an MMO that doesn't scale properly to lower end machines unless you're living in some kind of hosed up autistic dream world where the average player (i.e. your target market) is running a fully customised rig and not whichever Dell the salesperson from Target told them was good.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hahaha nope, but doing some research it's even more bizarre.

Other people with the bug also said that it teleports you to a different /loc. I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I can't understand why you would ever release an MMO that doesn't scale properly to lower end machines unless you're living in some kind of hosed up autistic dream world where the average player (i.e. your target market) is running a fully customised rig and not whichever Dell the salesperson from Target told them was good.
Actually it's basically the other way around where it's currently optimised for low-end systems and they're still optimising for high-end systems.

• Locked thread