Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

Does anyone have any really good strawberry-rhubarb tart recipes? I figure it's the pie of the moment.

My gran's recipe was always ~2 cups small chopped rhubarb (or parboiled then frozen rhubarb) then top with 1.5 cups sugar, one large egg, 1tbsp butter, sprinkle of nutmeg and ground clove whipped together seperately. I've added strawberries a few times and it worked just fine. If you only use 2 cups rhubarb it is definitely on the sweet side, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I usually make a larger pie with more rhubarb (my plants are HUGE) and stretch the sugar/egg mix with a bit more butter or some extra egg just to spread it around. Be careful about adding water or milk because rhubarb is deceptively juicy when cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just had such a great southern dinner. Greens slow cooked all day, home made mac and cheese, liver and onions, iced tea. There is something deeply satisfying about eating that sort of food with the family around the table, the doors of the house all open, bluegrass on the radio, and light fading over the western mountains. Country life is the best life.

I went to a barbecue cook off at one of our breweries last week and someone had collards going in a cauldron with some conecuh sausage as a side offering to their pulled pork. Their barbecue was completely forgettable but those greens were drat near some of the best I've ever tasted. Seasoned perfectly, cooked as al dente as I've ever had. I wish I skipped their BBQ entirely and got a second helping of collards oh man

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

Yeah, in New York, your average glass of wine is between $8 - $12 a glass, a more expensive one around $14 - $18 if you go to a wine bar in Chelsea.

The Nobu in Atlantis is priced around 2x the one in Manhattan, so again it's sort of an unreasonable complaint given that Dune is segregated away from a crazy expensive resort in their even more expensive area.

Atlantis is nice but it's sort of a once in a lifetime thing because everything is soul crushingly expensive even compared to fine dining in Manhattan.

CzarChasm posted:

But if I'm ordering food, there had better be prices next to the name and description of every item. I don't care if it's handwritten in there each day and the expense of having someone do that everyday is rolled into the cost of the meal, it needs to be there.

The dinner menu had prices on it at the restaurant when we were there, and so did the wine list.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 8, 2014

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

I just opened the menu. Wow, you're right! That's crazy! I doubt they would have split the salad and sandwich to make what I thought make sense.

It's a good thing the reviewer didn't go for dinner. The dinner menu doesn't have prices listed at all.

If you're going to have a wanky menu with no prices and a compulsory service charge, you'd better loving spell "within" correctly.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The best part of greens that have been cooking all day is the pot likker. When I make my kale I prefer that over the actual greens, so good.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Croatoan posted:

The best part of greens that have been cooking all day is the pot likker. When I make my kale I prefer that over the actual greens, so good.

I keep wanting to remember to reserve some the next time I do greens to add to a Bloody Mary mix. I bet it would be crazy good

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I keep wanting to remember to reserve some the next time I do greens to add to a Bloody Mary mix. I bet it would be crazy good

It's things like greens, cornbread, bbq, cocktails, etc. that really do make America stand up as a nation with proud food. No matter how many frozen chocolate chip pancakes wrapped around sausages on a sticks we eat, we can at least look to old fashioned cooking to remember that we have good things.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

oh yeah, no. There's no way in hell that the both of them could have eaten for $41. That's the cost of each of their portions, according to that menu that was posted. Heck, I don't even think she was fussed about paying $40+ for lunch, because as you mentioned, it's all seafood, which can get hella pricey rather quickly.

Yeah, in New York, your average glass of wine is between $8 - $12 a glass, a more expensive one around $14 - $18 if you go to a wine bar in Chelsea. If I'm havin' a nice meal, I'm ok with spending like $40 - $50 on a bottle of wine, because that's about what I can afford. Which leads me to this question: if you are splurging on a nice meal, what would you be willing to spend on a bottle of wine? This isn't like you're drinking to get hammered, but are on a date, or haven't seen a friend in forever, but don't want to break the bank on a bottle of wine, because you still need to tip the waiter a reasonable amount, taxes are $$$, and the taxi's gonna cost too. So like, not rotgut, but not like one of those $100 a glass situations either.

Or, OK. Say it's not a date, but a dear friend you haven't seen in forever, and you want to have a nice evening at a sit down place. They have a range between $26 a bottle and $75 a bottle. What do?

if I'm feeling cheap I aim for 30. 25 if I don't care a gently caress about the wine. 30-40 if I'm just having an average dinner. 50-60 is a splurge. If I really want to splurge, I buy a $50+ bottle of wine at a wine shop, and pay the $10-15 corkage fee. I'm getting exponentially better value at that point - a $50 bottle at the shop would be $100-150+ in a restaurant, versus $65 having brought in.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Food pics from Cost Rica (Playa de Coco, a touristy beach spot):

I loving love Random-Meat-on-a-Stick. My girlfriend was sort of appalled that I wanted to eat this. It was delicious.

Some boss knife skills on this guy, deftly carving open coconuts with a machete. Coconut water fresh from the tree is amazing.

Didn't get a decent pic of ice cream shop we went to after this, but I must say that the ice cream is really loving good in CR. They have great dairy there, very fresh.

Pastor taco, very much in the So Cal/Baja style. Except it's plated a little better.

If this place is a chain, this HAS to be what inspired the Breaking Bad writers, right? The artwork is reminiscent of that of Los Pollos Hermanos.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mindphlux posted:

if I'm feeling cheap I aim for 30. 25 if I don't care a gently caress about the wine. 30-40 if I'm just having an average dinner. 50-60 is a splurge. If I really want to splurge, I buy a $50+ bottle of wine at a wine shop, and pay the $10-15 corkage fee. I'm getting exponentially better value at that point - a $50 bottle at the shop would be $100-150+ in a restaurant, versus $65 having brought in.

Remember, kiddos, corkage fees are a really good way to get value for your money as well, but you've got to ball hard since it increases the cost of your bottle above retail.

Corollary: all Chinese places are BYOB until the host says otherwise.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vegetable Melange posted:

Remember, kiddos, corkage fees are a really good way to get value for your money as well, but you've got to ball hard since it increases the cost of your bottle above retail.

Some waiters/somms will quietly waive corkage if you bring something interesting and offer a glass. This is true even on the Strip, where bottle markups can get up to 400% of retail.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

One of the perks to living in Northern California is access to Napa. $15 corkage fees are totally worth it.

Nothing like hitting the vineyards and buying wine by the case for $30 a bottle, paying $15 to have them open it and seeing that same wine on the menu for $80.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4SC_a-pT6g

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I went to the Ledbury (after it had just been named UK restaurant of the year) I took along a bottle of vintage champagne, with corkage to pay. Because we ordered another bottle of wine with our meal (and were nice to the sommelier?) they waived the corkage. They didn't just forget it; I asked.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

That seems like a good policy. You're obviously not trying to get around them making money, you just had something very particular saved up for the occasion. Good customer service and they still got their sweet sweet wine profits.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

That seems like a good policy. You're obviously not trying to get around them making money, you just had something very particular saved up for the occasion. Good customer service and they still got their sweet sweet wine profits.

Exactly. I think it was a well-judged call on their part.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so I'm knocking 'things to do in life' off my todo list I guess.

closing on a house in a few weeks. I like it a whole lot in most respects, except the kitchen really rubs me the wrong way. I've got the go ahead from my gal to at very least install a monstrous vent hood w/external blower, budget $2-3k - but we're pouring so much of our savings into a giant downpayment that I don't think I can afford to just be like 'yeah whatever, tear it all down!'

what would you guys do to improve this cooking space?

(third pic is the space off to the right in the back of the first pic. washer/dryer/waterheater are behind sliding doors.)

I have my own ideas about what could use improving, but I wanna keep it blank slate and get some of y'alls thoughts.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

so I'm knocking 'things to do in life' off my todo list I guess.

closing on a house in a few weeks. I like it a whole lot in most respects, except the kitchen really rubs me the wrong way. I've got the go ahead from my gal to at very least install a monstrous vent hood w/external blower, budget $2-3k - but we're pouring so much of our savings into a giant downpayment that I don't think I can afford to just be like 'yeah whatever, tear it all down!'

I have my own ideas about what could use improving, but I wanna keep it blank slate and get some of y'alls thoughts.
I'm kind of in the same boat right now, and my first instinct is to a) increase counterspace b) more cupboards/shelving c) raise countertops to the same level, gently caress that breakfast bullshit bar thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Then tear down that bitch of a bearing wall and put a window where it ought to be.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm in the same boat, anything that would truly "fix" my kitchen involves ripping it all out and spending some big money.
At least you've got marble, my countertops are WHITE PLASTIC. It stains like a bitch.

I really think the only cheap thing you can do is paint it, that's what I did. That yellow isn't so bad, but if you pick a color you like better it will a lot more homey. I covered up some horrible Pottery Barn color, Toxic Pink.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Take the ugly rug and burn it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

Replace everything with stainless steel. No, but really.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Replace everything with stainless steel. No, but really.

Good idea. Don't just throw out the rug, replace it with one made from a material for the modern age.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pffffft. That's clearly aluminum. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Take the ugly rug and burn it.

I'm pro rug but anti random chair at the end of the counter. Is that supposed to be a little desk where you sit and ponder the universe?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm pro rug but anti random chair at the end of the counter. Is that supposed to be a little desk where you sit and ponder the universe?

I've seen that in a fair few kitchens. People have a computer set up there or whatever, and post to the internet while their pot over boils and their food burns.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

I've seen that in a fair few kitchens. People have a computer set up there or whatever, and post to the internet while their pot over boils and their food burns.

How else are you supposed to post in GWS?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I was helping a bartender friend of mine move house when I realized all his kitchen surfaces were from restaurant supply stores when the light went off over my head. The lucky lady that gets me after this apartment is going to have a hell of a surprise if she likes pastoral kitchens (this is nyc no one has anything pastoral).

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I made some Headcheese last night and want to server it for a dinner tonight for my wife, we are going to have a good wine and bread and I want to pair it with a good cheese. Any suggestions on a cheese that will go good with the rich, fattiness of Headcheese?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

contrapants posted:

How else are you supposed to post in GWS?

On your phone one-handed while stirring your cheese sauce with the other hand.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Randomity posted:

On your phone one-handed while stirring your cheese sauce with the other hand.

Make your cheese sauce in a bain. Then you can leave it unattended!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Delivery greasewheel errday and never stop posting.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Season 2 of "A bite of China" is on :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rWtMBBY3BE (english subtitles)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Make your cheese sauce in a bain. Then you can leave it unattended!

Then you can grate cheese with the other hand. Just don't accidentally swap hands.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

Then you can grate cheese with the other hand. Just don't accidentally swap hands.

Grating cheese by hand?

:rolleyes:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable Melange posted:

I was helping a bartender friend of mine move house when I realized all his kitchen surfaces were from restaurant supply stores when the light went off over my head. The lucky lady that gets me after this apartment is going to have a hell of a surprise if she likes pastoral kitchens (this is nyc no one has anything pastoral).

yeah, I've thought about this a lot. I should probably do more than just think about it - at least for that dumb as poo poo abortion of a desk/sitting area. really who thought that was a good idea?

I think I have the budget for a vent hood with a giant loving 1200CFM external blower, and I'll DIY paint and add some shelving, but I don't really know what else I can do with the space. Y'alls consensus seems about the same.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

Grating cheese by hand?

:rolleyes:

How do you grate, then? I use one of those cowbell-looking things for mozzarella every time I make pizza.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I've thought about this a lot. I should probably do more than just think about it - at least for that dumb as poo poo abortion of a desk/sitting area. really who thought that was a good idea?

I think I have the budget for a vent hood with a giant loving 1200CFM external blower, and I'll DIY paint and add some shelving, but I don't really know what else I can do with the space. Y'alls consensus seems about the same.

Maybe it's the pictures, but isn't a huge fan going to blow smoke right on to your neighbor's house? It looks really close to your kitchen wall. Also, I'm not a fan of the pseudo-tables in pictures 2 and 3. Maybe replace the one in pic 2 with matching cabinets and marble top for more work space. If the ceiling bulbs are halogen, you'll be wanting to replace them with LED types, it gets really hot under halogen lights.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

How do you grate, then? I use one of those cowbell-looking things for mozzarella every time I make pizza.

I have a food processor with an attachment. It's grate.

Edit: I actually only use it when I have huge amounts of cheese to do. For topping things with grated cheese, it's not really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

contrapants posted:

Mike. Row. Plane.