Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Shavnir posted:

gently caress tron too

Turns out that Titan beats Rock. (He died to Stronghold/Sunhoke on Azusa after Confidant murdered his life total).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Is...Deathblade just Esper Goodstuff for Legacy? Because that's what it looks like.

Edit: True-Name Nemesis. I think I officially don't like that card.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 11, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, pretty much, plus a splash of green for Deathrite Shaman.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Also, Maverick just doesn't seem like it is a good deck. He is getting annihilated by Esper here.

Edit: For those not following the SCG stream, some guy brought Dark Maverick and got completely shut down by TNN in game one and basic creature removal in game two. It was...just depressing to watch.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 11, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Also, Maverick just doesn't seem like it is a good deck. He is getting annihilated by Esper here.

Edit: For those not following the SCG stream, some guy brought Dark Maverick and got completely shut down by TNN in game one and basic creature removal in game two. It was...just depressing to watch.

Maverick's from an older time, before True-Name Nemesis shut down all ground combat forever.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Maverick has been a less than ideal deck choice for quite some time. Well before TNN

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Veyrall posted:

Maverick is an older deck that was good, but because of METAGAEM changes I think it's pretty bad now.
e;fb

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I'm also a little surprised to not see Swan Song popping up anywhere. I kinda thought it'd be around, but maybe it's not as good in Legacy as I thought it would be?

Edit: Aaaand it's in the sideboard. There goes my preconceptions.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 11, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Veyrall posted:

Edit: Aaaand it's in the sideboard. There goes my preconceptions.

Swan Song is a sideboard card because the only cards that could mainboard it don't want to.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
This Nic Fit variant being shown is cool as hell! Karn in Legacy!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

neetengie posted:

This Nic Fit variant being shown is cool as hell! Karn in Legacy!

The judge sitting next to him is having a blast watching his draws too. She nearly bust out laughing when he pulled up the double karns off his Jace brainstorm..

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend told me to tune in. Some scrawny kid wearing an "Obama can't take away these guns" wife beater. Excellent.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
imperial painter is downright unkind to play against

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

A big flaming stink posted:

imperial painter is downright unkind to play against

It sure is. My local store is something like, 3-4 Miracles, 2-3 Painter, one Manaless Dredge or Robots, one guy who plays different decks all the time, a couple Stoneforge decks which always have turn 2 Stoneforge, and me with Shardless BUG which is terrible against every single one of those decks*.

*people tell me I should be good against Miracles but It's not. At all. Even if I wreck their hand by turn 3 and drop a Goyf, all it takes is them top-decking Entreat the Angels and I probably lose because for some reason my Ancestral Visions never draw anything but land (14 of the last 15 cards I've drawn from Visions have been lands. The 15th was Thoughtseize against an empty hand.)

Case in point, I played 5 games against Miracles yesterday, and 4 of the 5 I was very clearly winning until he miracles an Entreat and I die next turn.

Edit: seriously though, how do I sideboard against Miracles here? I've been going
-2 Jace
-2 Strix
-1 Maelstrom Pulse
-1 Abrupt Decay

+2 Lili
+2 Hymn
+2 Pernicious Deed

I'm pretty sure Force #4 needs to come in, and I really hate taking Abrupt Decay out because it's anti-Counterbalance, Top (wait til they fetch and pop the top in response,) and Stoneforge which some of them side into.

Sometimes I'll go -1 or 2 Deathrite, keeping Jace and Pulse in, if I won game 1 because they don't help me before Rest in Peace comes down (which it always does.)

http://deckbox.org/sets/642618

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 11, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jacob van Lunen is a terrible commentator.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a permalink to the day 2 modern gp coverage? All I can find posted in the twitch account history in the last 12 hours is from the Warsaw event except for this one, which seems to start on round 15 :/

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fox of Stone posted:

I hope you can show him a Theros pen island and see what he does. I have a running bet with a friend.

:frogsiren: Goons, raise your dongers. :frogsiren:
(Probably :nws:)

RK is like the biggest 13 year old kid at heart. He actually discounts his alters if you just let him draws dicks all over the place, it's a riot. He made mention that at some point yesterday someone got the halo in Daybreak Coronet turned into a crown of dicks and I'm super sad I didn't get a picture.

Also, finished 10-5 (3-3 on day 2, though it should've been 4-2, I made an oopsie) for final finish, which I think is pretty rad for my first GP experience. I'll be doing a full write-up on everything soon!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Mikujin posted:

RK is like the biggest 13 year old kid at heart. He actually discounts his alters if you just let him draws dicks all over the place, it's a riot. He made mention that at some point yesterday someone got the halo in Daybreak Coronet turned into a crown of dicks and I'm super sad I didn't get a picture.

Also, finished 10-5 (3-3 on day 2, though it should've been 4-2, I made an oopsie) for final finish, which I think is pretty rad for my first GP experience. I'll be doing a full write-up on everything soon!

A friend of mine collects dick alters. Her collection is pretty big, including a few RK pieces.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mikujin posted:

Holy poo poo, I won. We were both so sure that he would just circle the rock and point an arrow to it, saying mission accomplished, but nope. Congratulations, that is fantastic.

e: Wow, just looked it up and he's coming to GPDC too. :getin:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 12, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Is there anywhere to play by Georgia Tech in Atlanta that would have any playing Wednesday night this week? I'm traveling for work and if I am able to walk to a draft, I probably will.

edit: wizard's store locator just gives the convention centers for big events.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Is there anywhere to play by Georgia Tech in Atlanta that would have any playing Wednesday night this week? I'm traveling for work and if I am able to walk to a draft, I probably will.

edit: wizard's store locator just gives the convention centers for big events.

I actually do know of a group that organizes play at Georgia Tech, but their days are on Thursdays at 6PM at the student center, not Wednesdays. You should check out Atlanta Magic Facebook group if you are looking for alternative places, but almost all the Magic stores are outside of Atlanta, in the many suburbs.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That Scapeshift topdeck to win the GP was pretty funny

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

It was, but I was cheering for Curly to win! I've known him for years, and it sucked to see him get beat like that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Meanwhile, at the legacy open, someone emptied the warrens with storm count 7 or so and Cedric Phillips is so excited about that many of his tokens swinging.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As a reminder, there's apparently Vintage Masters and/or Conspiracy spoilers in a couple hours on the Mothership.

Vintage Masters spoilers are officially this week, but Maro also indicated he has a Conspiracy spoiler this week during his last article so it's probably both (since Vintage Masters includes Conspiracy cards that didn't make the MODO guys have to modify the coding for drafting or whatever).

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zorak posted:

As a reminder, there's apparently Vintage Masters and/or Conspiracy spoilers in a couple hours on the Mothership.

Vintage Masters spoilers are officially this week, but Maro also indicated he has a Conspiracy spoiler this week during his last article so it's probably both (since Vintage Masters includes Conspiracy cards that didn't make the MODO guys have to modify the coding for drafting or whatever).

Oh my god I'm very stoked about Vintage Masters.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Mark Rosewater posted:

Join me next week, when a third of what I say will be a lie.
I hope it's not a spoiler article where a third of the "spoilers" are false.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope it's not a spoiler article where a third of the "spoilers" are false.

Chances are it's more going to be a general Vintage Masters article that he'll cap off with another List Of Things in Conspiracy and/or Vintage Masters, where the list includes some false stuff. Back before Theros spoilers he made a list of 10 things to expect in Theros for example, which was the cause of some people throwing hilarious tantrums over the futureshifted card in Theros being Nessian Courser.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

people throwing hilarious tantrums over the futureshifted card in Theros being Nessian Courser.

What exactly did they expect it to be? I guess Daybreak Coronet was a remote possibility.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Entropic posted:

What exactly did they expect it to be? I guess Daybreak Coronet was a remote possibility.

Steamflogger Boss to go with Slobad, God of Contraptions?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone was expecting it to be Lucent Limind.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Promoted Pawn posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone was expecting it to be Lucent Limind.

Thank god they were wrong, Nessian Courser is a better creature.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Hey, we got Riddle of Lightning too! And a functional reprint of Blade of the Sixth Pride! Yeah, yeah, not exact reprints of futureshifted cards, but close enough.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so RW burn seems to have pretty insane matchups in standard right now. Everyone is trying to stretch their manabases as much as possible and doing tons of damage to themselves with Mana Confluence, plus monoblue has been getting steadily more out of favor.

Its a friggin joy to behold a bunch of incinerates wreck face all over control and black devotion decks

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
What's currently known to be in Vintage Masters:
Here are some related articles talking about it:

Development of Vintage Masters
Maro waxing lyrical about Vintage
Vintage Master's special rarity

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

A big flaming stink posted:

so RW burn seems to have pretty insane matchups in standard right now. Everyone is trying to stretch their manabases as much as possible and doing tons of damage to themselves with Mana Confluence, plus monoblue has been getting steadily more out of favor.

Its a friggin joy to behold a bunch of incinerates wreck face all over control and black devotion decks

I like the way you think. Not just because my deck has a pretty good matchup against burn, but I approve of anything that kills control decks.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zorak posted:

What's currently known to be in Vintage Masters:
Here are some related articles talking about it:

Development of Vintage Masters
Maro waxing lyrical about Vintage
Vintage Master's special rarity

Time walk seems a little overpowered for 2 mana...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
MaRo's article doesn't have any Conspiracy spoilers as far as I can see from a quick glance. The Vintage Masters visual spoiler does mistakenly have Drew Tucker and Brago, from Conspiracy, though. Edit: Apparently Conspiracy cards are on the Vintage power level. The whole section about the rarity indicator is wrong though, that happened in Exodus. Why lie about that? :iiam:

Mark Rosewater posted:

Magic debuted in July of 1993. It was not until February of 1999, in the set Urza's Legacy, that either the rarity color indicator or the collector numbers first appeared. Before that time, how was someone to know the rarity or the set size? Well, in the early days, the set size was announced when the set went on sale, but the cards' rarity was purposefully kept a mystery. In fact, in the early days, Wizards purposefully didn't tell anyone which cards were in the set.

Why was this? Because Magic was made just as the Internet was in its infancy. Richard Garfield liked the idea that part of the game was the discovery of what cards existed. You would learn of new cards as you played new people. To help make this true, Wizards went out of the way to never reveal the contents of the early sets other than the set size.

Eventually, Wizards realized that withholding information in a new age of information was fruitless, so we began listing sets. The Duelist, the company magazine dedicated to Magic, started putting in full card lists. Then, Joel Mick took over as the Magic brand manager. He felt it was important for the information of the cards to be available on the cards themselves. He said every card should tell you its rarity as well as where it belonged in the set.

Joel took over during the middle of the Urza's Saga block and was told by others that he should wait until the next block to make his change, but Joel thought it was important enough that he made the change during the first set he could affect—which ended up being Urza's Legacy.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 12, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guess is that the Conspiracy cards that can work on MODO will be included in Vintage Masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

MaRo's article doesn't have any Conspiracy spoilers as far as I can see from a quick glance. The Vintage Masters visual spoiler does mistakenly have Drew Tucker and Brago, from Conspiracy, though. The whole section about the rarity indicator is wrong though, that happened in Exodus. Why lie about that? :iiam:

The best part is Will has a gold gear in the very article.

• Locked thread