Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I just killed the sinner and now I have no clue where I should go. And I don't know where Heides tower is if it isn't cardinal tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I just killed the sinner and now I have no clue where I should go. And I don't know where Heides tower is if it isn't cardinal tower.
From Majula, there's a downward tunnel on the opposite side of where the Forest of Fallen Giants is. It's near the hill that leads to the Champion Covenant rock thing.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

VisAbsoluta posted:

I sincerely hope whoever designed Shrine of Animu gets hosed over everything in life repeatedly and as hard as possible

This is my story

I went through the Shrine of Anime as a Faith/Dex character and I didn't honestly have that many problems. Miracles didn't even work on the underwater dudes so it's not like I cheesed it much.

I think this area just requires more caution and slow pacing than people are willing to exert.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Kaldaris posted:

I went through the Shrine of Anime as a Faith/Dex character and I didn't honestly have that many problems. Miracles didn't even work on the underwater dudes so it's not like I cheesed it much.

I think this area just requires more caution and slow pacing than people are willing to exert.

It's loving bullshit as melee. Especially the second part after the mushroom men when you jump down into a phantom and 3 dudes shooting seeking missles. That bit's completely hosed. I just plinked down the first 2 missile people with a lovely bow for 10 minutes, than ran to take out the 3rd before the red phantom spawned.

That's as far as I've gotten so far :(

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Hmpf, powerstancing Estocs is a bit disappointing. Slightly less reach, much slower attacks that don't chain well.

Also those things break like crazy.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Night Blade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubzdLhAOcM

Who can count how many times I SHOULD have died to this boss?

When I fought that guy on my first playthrough getting toxic'd would kill me in about than 10 seconds from full health, the big rats charge attack would oneshot me and my weapon did about 200 damage to him so great job just barely beating a midgame boss with an endgame character I guess?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Rudager posted:

It's loving bullshit as melee. Especially the second part after the mushroom men when you jump down into a phantom and 3 dudes shooting seeking missles. That bit's completely hosed. I just plinked down the first 2 missile people with a lovely bow for 10 minutes, than ran to take out the 3rd before the red phantom spawned.

You can run back to the bonfire tunnel to fight the phantom and be shielded from the magic missile crap. Also the boss is right after that area.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

VisAbsoluta posted:

I sincerely hope whoever designed Shrine of Animu gets hosed over everything in life repeatedly and as hard as possible

This is my story

I dont get the Shrine of Amana hate, Black Gulch is about 100 times worse.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Black Glutch is all about rolling through the poison and you can get to the 2nd BF in 30 seconds. :colbert:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Small and Blue posted:

When I fought that guy on my first playthrough getting toxic'd would kill me in about than 10 seconds from full health, the big rats charge attack would oneshot me and my weapon did about 200 damage to him so great job just barely beating a midgame boss with an endgame character I guess?

ok, but I didn't mean to show off? I did really badly in that video and still beat the boss. At certain points his attacks just gently nudge me in a direction instead of dealing damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubzdLhAOcM

Who can count how many times I SHOULD have died to this boss?

You're not supposed to fight that guy at the end of the game. Good job beating a boss when you're massively overleveled! :downsbravo:

Night Blade posted:

I don't think either of them are that bad but Black Gulch is tolerable solely because it takes roughly two minutes to go from start to finish.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

You're not supposed to fight that guy at the end of the game. Good job beating a boss when you're massively overleveled!

You're missing the point...again.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I heard that one or two bosses in dark souls 2 can be beaten by strafing around them is this true?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Hey guys I played like poo poo but still beat the boss. I swear this has nothing to do with being overleveled. Being overleveled and turtling behind a shield definitely didn't trivialize bosses in DkS 1 either, no sir.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I heard that one or two bosses in dark souls 2 can be beaten by strafing around them is this true?

One of them you can trick into charging into a pit.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Night Blade posted:

Yeah, Shindragon and Internet Kraken are right, Black Gulch is annoying but is short as gently caress and with some rolling you can get to the second bonfire and from there to the boss in like a minute, while Shrine of Amana has water, lots of casters and darkness, it's infuriating. gently caress this poo poo, goddamn, I ain't even finished and it is already killing my will to play NG+ etc.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 12, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night Blade posted:

You're missing the point...again.

Then what is your point? You posted a video of you playing like poo poo and winning solely because you were massively overleveled for that boss. This would be like me going back and killing Capra Demon or something after having gotten all 4 lords souls then talking about how it was such a lovely fight.

VVV I'm totally fine with the shrine. I would love Black Gulch and the gutter if those statues didn't respawn, but them coming back makes going through those areas any more than once pretty annoying.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 12, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Black Gulch and the Shrine are both cool levels. At least I thought so. Then again I think a lot of things in this game are cool so I'm in the minority.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Internet Kraken posted:

Then what is your point? You posted a video of you playing like poo poo and winning solely because you were massively overleveled for that boss. This would be like me going back and killing Capra Demon or something after having gotten all 4 lords souls then talking about how it was such a lovely fight.

VVV I'm totally fine with the shrine. I would love Black Gulch and the gutter if those statues didn't respawn, but them coming back makes going through those areas any more than once pretty annoying.

He is talking about at the end standing next to the leg I guess but it didn't seem to help him that much. He still had to move and poo poo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Rudager posted:

I did this part with no shield the first time through and wasn't even expecting the phantom, you guys really need to learn how to use hard cover.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Naked is the primary co-op fashion I see in this game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've encountered a few Bellbros who apparently just AFK hoping that they'll be the second invader while the first does the dirty work. It was pretty funny to get invaded by two of them at once though. I was tempted to just chill there and check back every now and then to see if they noticed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Control Volume posted:

I did this part with no shield the first time through and wasn't even expecting the phantom, you guys really need to learn how to use hard cover.

Or just make a strategic retreat. There's no reason to fight everything there at once if you can't handle it. The only enemies good at chasing are the priest warriors since they give 0 fucks about the water, but you can still lure them back to a safe spot that isn't being bombarded with soul arrows.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Internet Kraken posted:

He was trying to point out that the proper strategy for a lot of bosses is to stand by their feet, but ended up just showing he's really bad at the game and still almost died repeatedly even trying to cheese the fight AND being massively overleveled :v:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Black Gulch and the Shrine are both cool levels. At least I thought so. Then again I think a lot of things in this game are cool so I'm in the minority.

I really like this game and think it's generally on par with DeS and DkS, but I don't think I ever hated an area before in this series, which is what I do with the Shrine.

Internet Kraken posted:

Or just make a strategic retreat. There's no reason to fight everything there at once if you can't handle it. The only enemies good at chasing are the priest warriors since they give 0 fucks about the water, but you can still lure them back to a safe spot that isn't being bombarded with soul arrows.

But my problem was exactly that you can't lure the casters. :confused:

This and the fact that they are generally positioned in a way that chasing one makes you vulnerable to the others, and far away so you can't lock on them.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The issues with melee in this game is that 1) your poise is next-to worthless, 2) 50% of the enemies basically have infinite poise and 3) ranged anything does a whole lot more damage than melee with the same amount of min-maxing, and comes without having to worry about 1) and 2) all the time.

And you also get into situations like the Shrine of Animu where if you aren't going Havel you're going to have a ridiculously hard time as melee, as opposed to just standard hard time. Heck, the Shrine of Animu isn't even the worst thing if you're melee-focused.

The Giant lord fight is basically all the "If you are melee, gently caress you, go respec"-ness of this game distilled into a tiny 5 minute segment (or 1 minute if you're ranged, natch). Everything that boss does is a 1-hit kill unless you're in full Havel's, he cannot be blocked at all (even with Havel's Sheild+5), and the whole area you fight him in is constantly being shot up by fireballs with an AoE that covers half the arena.

But you see, if you stand on this ledge next to him, the boss will only do a frontal slam attack, which you can avoid by rolling sideways, and you don't have to worry about the fireballs :shepface:

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Night Blade posted:

ok, but I didn't mean to show off? I did really badly in that video and still beat the boss. At certain points his attacks just gently nudge me in a direction instead of dealing damage.

You beat the boss because you were massively overleveled, others have already said this. If you think DS2 should have some kind of system of scaling bosses to your level so you can never completely steamroll them sure, but you've been posting a ton in this thread about how the bosses in DS2 are somehow worse in this regard than in DS1 and that is just straight up untrue, DS1 bosses are trivialized just as easily by lategame characters as the DS2 ones.

Hell, the whole "hug the backpaws"-thing is exactly how you kill Sif in the original Dark Souls and Sif has way less health than the RRA, does less damage and has no adds.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
The ultimate evil has to be a hex using Santier's and avelyn wielding havel wearing blue sentinel. There could not be anything worse than this, I'm sure of it.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Can someone around the 3.5 million soul memory mark trade me the Heide Knight Chainmail? I just blew through all my asectics and have nothing to show but a large arrary of Heide Swords, gauntlets, legs, and helms. If you want a bunch of those or like a Blue Flame or something you'd be a godsend. Thanks.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

MrTheDevious posted:

He was trying to point out that the proper strategy for a lot of bosses is to stand by their feet, but ended up just showing he's really bad at the game and still almost died repeatedly even trying to cheese the fight AND being massively overleveled :v:

Yes, thank you; also - the whole attacks missing me for no reason thing. Thanks for taking me not liking the game as much as you personally by the way. This wasn't that bad of a boss; but I genuinely feel like he's bugged.

quote:

The Giant lord fight is basically all the "If you are melee, gently caress you, go respec"-ness of this game distilled into a tiny 5 minute segment (or 1 minute if you're ranged, natch). Everything that boss does is a 1-hit kill unless you're in full Havel's, he cannot be blocked at all (even with Havel's Sheild+5), and the whole area you fight him in is constantly being shot up by fireballs with an AoE that covers half the arena.

The Giant Lord fight is really dumb; and is beaten like all other fights in the game. The Arena is so tiny that all you end up seeing is the bosses feet as you dodge the bosses stomp attack. It's not really hard though, so I disagree with you there.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 12, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Office Thug posted:

The issues with melee in this game is that 1) your poise is next-to worthless, 2) 50% of the enemies basically have infinite poise and 3) ranged anything does a whole lot more damage than melee with the same amount of min-maxing, and comes without having to worry about 1) and 2) all the time.

And you also get into situations like the Shrine of Animu where if you aren't going Havel you're going to have a ridiculously hard time as melee, as opposed to just standard hard time. Heck, the Shrine of Animu isn't even the worst thing if you're melee-focused.

But you see, if you stand on this ledge next to him, the boss will only do a frontal slam attack, which you can avoid by rolling sideways, and you don't have to worry about the fireballs :shepface:

IMO its this kind of exaggeration that's making this thread unbearable to read.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I beat the Giant Lord, pure melee/STR, with zero problems, so I don't know what that guy is on about.

edit - I don't even know where to find Havel's in DS2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VisAbsoluta posted:

But my problem was exactly that you can't lure the casters. :confused:

This and the fact that they are generally positioned in a way that chasing one makes you vulnerable to the others, and far away so you can't lock on them.

The casters alone shouldn't be able to kill you. The soul arrows are easy to dodge alone, and even if you can't avoid multiple ones they don't do that much damage. The casters only become dangerous when you get caught up fighting whatever happens to be in between you and them. Do you have the +2 magic resist ring equipped? You can get one right after Mirror Knight, it helps take the sting out of their arrows.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

You can also just listen for the sounds of the orbs and then dodge roll accordingly; the dodge window is pretty generous on the arcane orbs. You can also LoS the orbs. IMO aside from the random pits you can hardly see in the Shrine of Amana is wasn't a bad zone at all.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Giant Lord can easily kill you in one hit and most likely will if you don't know his move set yet. Once you get into circumcision range he becomes a joke like any other big slow dude in the game.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Office Thug posted:

You might want to put some points into vigor if you're getting oneshot by the Giant Lord in Havel, he took maybe 60% of my health off and I was still wearing the starting Knight set. Most of his moves are identical to those of the Last Giant and are fairly easy to roll through, and he has huge recovery times during which you can hit him freely. The fireballs don't come close to the actual fight either unless your idea of melee is "Spam whatever range attack from 50 feet away".

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Also, I forgot to mention. Of course you can turn of the sound effects in game, but it is still terrible design to have a whole area where you will be spending lots of time repeating that UHHAHHHHHHH singing of the Milfanitos, holy loving poo poo.

Anyway, rant is off!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
On the walk to the giant lord just keep the camera pointed out to sea. The fireballs come from a long ways out so you can clearly see when they're coming and when it's safe to advance. Plus the spots where they impact have craters so don't stand there. You really don't need Havel's to survive a hit from him, I did all of NG and NG+ in Royal Swordsman cosplay and still had plenty of time to take a swig if he caught me. Heck on my no-magic character that was a bunch of stat points I had free to put into health and the ability to wear heavy armor. Also don't neglect the Life Ring +2, it gives you a pretty serious chunk of health.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yes, the Shrine isn't objectively the hardest level ever. But I don't play Dark Souls to slowly walk towards casters rolling under missiles, I play the game to stab dudes in the face and explore the environment. Being able to snipe them from range doesn't make it any less unfun.

voltron lion force posted:

IMO its this kind of exaggeration that's making this thread unbearable to read.
It's also straight bullshit. I had about 15 Vigor max and not exactly the best armor, but even with that the giant only takes off 50-75% of your HP with each hit. Honestly, I found casting to be harder on that fight, because being able to move and stab him in the ankles is much better then standing there like a statue and getting clubbed in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The random pits are 100% the worst part of Shrine. If they weren't specifically placed to gently caress with the player directly beelining to some of the sorcerers then they'd be less irritating but haha nope.

It'd be way more fun if you knew you could just sprint towards those assholes while rolling their missiles instead of randomly falling into pits like a big dummy!