Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Midnight Moth posted:

Good news everyone! Gil is being revived as a Sunday-only comic carried by one paper, the Providence Journal, and Norm Feuti's apparent masochistic willingness to work for the paltry wages that come with that. Well, it worked for Kevin and Kell for umpteen years so why not.

Yes! That is fantastic news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 9th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam (March 8th 1983)

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 4th 2009)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Midnight Moth posted:

Good news everyone! Gil is being revived as a Sunday-only comic carried by one paper, the Providence Journal, and Norm Feuti's apparent masochistic willingness to work for the paltry wages that come with that. Well, it worked for Kevin and Kell for umpteen years so why not.

I like how that spelling of "Awesome" makes sense when you say it with a Boston/New England accent.

Now I just imagine Gil and everyone talking my me and my friends when we were growing up and it makes me happy. I have also seen "wicked" in Gil and Retail before which gave me a strange swell of pride from two comics I'm pretty indifferent towards.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Wanamingo posted:

Jesus christ what the gently caress!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

OK, now it's getting heavy handed.

quote:

I figured it had to be Americans do it like this but British people do it like that. But figuring these out beyond the first clue step is just trying to make crazy moonshots.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, I guessed this one right! :haw:

Surely the assassin would have brought ample paper with them from their home land to commit murder. Also that letter could have been written on a post-it to completely gently caress over the good inspector.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus with a new take on an old saying.

Mary Worth

I've decided I will only be satisfied with this storyline if Tommy applies for this job, has a great interview and everything, and then still doesn't get it.

Rex Morgan MD

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

OK, now it's getting heavy handed.

I would agree with you if it seemed to be trying to make a deeper point than "the adults in this town are kinda assholes even if they're well-meaning." :v:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Uh oh. Brony spotted.

Nah, he's all good. It was part of a Transformers/MLP crossover. Plus he's referencing the old stuff. That's like having a bizarre Rainbow Brite crossover into TMNT. You'd know the characters, and probably their names, without having to watch the other show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Batiuk's characters never try to (or are allowed to) move on. Les will never get over Lisa, nor will he every try. Funky is destined to have PTSD forever, support dog or no support dog. The mom will constantly be worried about her son deployed overseas. What's-her-face (John Darling's daughter) has come the closest to a happy ending, and that's just because she learned that her father, John Darling, was nice to her (which she seemed to already know), and she seems to conveniently forgotten that her father, John Darling, was an unrepentant rear end in a top hat to everyone else he ever crossed paths with.

Funky is the fat old guy who's actually about 20 years younger than he looks. Wally's the one with the dog and PTSD.

7thBatallion posted:

Nah, he's all good. It was part of a Transformers/MLP crossover. Plus he's referencing the old stuff. That's like having a bizarre Rainbow Brite crossover into TMNT. You'd know the characters, and probably their names, without having to watch the other show.

Also, don't bronies hate the original MLP?

Beetle Bailey

Berger & Wyse

Bizarro

This makes no sense.

Dennis the Menace

Alice Mitchell has no nose. :stonk:

Dustin

Dustin's reaction in this strip is pretty reasonable. Sure, just go along with it. why not?

Hi and Lois

There's no contradiction there, Lois.

Pardon My Planet

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Bizarro

This makes no sense.

William Tell is associated with the feat of shooting an apple off of someone's head with an arrow. When he takes a vision test, rather than identifying letters, he identifies apples. A Good Cartoon... wait, poo poo, wrong thread. :v:

quote:

Pardon My Planet

gently caress this comic

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, why the gently caress did he think that was a good idea? :psyduck:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro
Tiggum :doom:

Dilbert

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

gently caress this comic

Please start posting Pardon My Planet again someone - I have enough hatred and loathing left over after Zachary Nixon Johnson and Nancy to handle it appropriately.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Who is he (she?) talking to? I don't see a phone or a bluetooth thingy or anything that would remotely suggest someone is having a conversation. Why are they talking to their mom while working in a warehouse? Why does their mom care about the specific activity - wouldn't you just say "I have to go back to work, mom"? Haha, art school makes you poor! Why are they excited for chicken nuggets, and why aren't those nuggets refrigerated? Why is ZNJ in space one strip, and then crashing through a warehouse wall the next - would it have killed the artist to maybe draw a loving warehouse in the previous strip? What is happening in that last panel - are they busting through a wall, or just hitting two blocks floating in mid air? Why-

ughhhhhhh gently caress you, ZNJ

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Writer/artist is a secret republican.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World is the 9th's.

Non Sequitur is dumb.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

Kliban is, um, "different".

It's just :words: today in 9 Chickweed Lane 5/12/2003

Zits is just teens_ignore_crap.jpg

Kevin & Kell is more or less as stupid as usual.

Nemi is a slob at heart. News at 11.

Bleh. Monday.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac hope she doesn't have weed allergies.

The Creeps hope they don't have dust allergies.

Candorville hope he gets allergies.

Broom Hilda drat, that's a fine gopher.

Edit: Huh. Looks like candorville is broken. Good.
Edit2: drat, it fixed itself. Sorry folks, enjoy it in its crapulent splendor.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 12, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Haha, that Kliban strip is awesome. See, she paid her way through college by hooking, and can't find any other jobs now. Or she has a degree in sex work. Either way, I giggled.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits is just teens_ignore_crap.jpg

Actually, isn't it pretty much common knowledge that the SATs are pretty worthless because they don't test actual knowledge? The only thing the SATs test is your ability to prepare for and take the SATs.

Ham Shears almost has two storylines intersect.

The Dinette Set understands the power of good marketing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Wanamingo posted:

Like there is any possible way we can see in this comic that the paper is A4 or not. You can't have a goddamn mystery puzzle if you leave out the essential clue! I love hating this dopey strip.

Monty

Mike du Jour

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Double post be damned.

This is a prime example of why this comic is so bloody stupid. Aside from the fact that the "sand" looks like snow and the blatant racism about "Garlic Smelling Mobsters"; the final clue is dealt with completely off camera. We have no clue that a car was even used as we never see one, so the final reveal may as well be an eye witness or a CCTV camera, either of which is as valid as the stupid solution that the comic uses.

Raging on mediocre comics :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, isn't it pretty much common knowledge that the SATs are pretty worthless because they don't test actual knowledge? The only thing the SATs test is your ability to prepare for and take the SATs.

"Actual knowledge" is worth far less to an employer than evidence of your ability to learn. If you prove you can ace an arbitrary test you've proved you can do 90% of jobs out there.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

Pardon My Planet

Every time somebody posts this comic for the first time in forever, I check how far back we can go in the archive before we hit a "WIMMIN AMIRITE" panel.

Friday, as it turns out.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

It's just :words: today in 9 Chickweed Lane 5/12/2003

This repost was perfectly timed, since this popped up yesterday in a fiction writing course I've been taking: "Originality for its own sake often results in ‘false’ writing: real people are seldom either so self-conscious or remarkable that they think and speak in entirely new ways. On the other hand, attempting to convey or describe something as accurately as possible will very often result in striking or fresh-sounding expressions." So naturally, my thoughts wandered back to Chickweed.

And speaking of getting to the point already, here's Skippy (February 21, 1927)

Peanuts: You see, kids, back in the day when you wanted to pester somebody about some bullshit good luck charm (or even your latest so-called brilliant scam), it wasn't as simple as paste and post. You were expected to write it out and buy stamps. (May 15, 1967)

In Pamplona, some smartasses root for the bulls. In today's Funky Winkerbean, we're rooting for a heart attack.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (May 14, 1956)

Droodles (May 14, 1956)

Out Our Way (December 15-16, 1924)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is a prime example of why this comic is so bloody stupid.

I warned you about Danger bro, I told you dog

Fingerpori

- We designed an ad for the family events in Pieksämäki
[Bad mood leaves the child in Pieksämäki]

Jarla got the name of the town of Pieksämäki wrong. Too bad, because the correct name works better with the pun.

Pieksämäellä, "in Pieksämäki", sounds very similar to pieksämällä, "by beating". Also, I believe the original saying doesn't have "bad mood" but simply "bad/evil" (paha means both).

If there's an English equivalent to that phrase, let me know.

Fok_It

In the 1800s when romantic nationalism was on the rise in Europe, philosopher and author J.V. Snellman was one of the early key players in the Fennoman movement which sought to elevate the status of the Finnish language and culture to a national level, in order to surpass Swedish which was at the time dominant in areas like administration and high education. Long story short, they succeeded, and Finnish was given an official language status in 1863. Snellman also played his part in giving rise to national literature (despite himself writing mostly in Swedish) and the Finnish mark.

I couldn't find his exact cause of death, but I suspect it was brick-induced.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

BEEP BOOP I AM EMMYBOT

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Next week: Prince Valiant beats up the disabled

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma (October 4th 2009)

:neckbeard: This almost makes me forget about the Looming Shadow of Dog Comix

Pooch Café

Finally, some real confrontation!

Ballard Street

I'd buy one. How often do you get the chance to buy something from a dog? The closest I ever got was swapping stuff with a ferret, and even then it wasn't really a business transaction as much as him getting distracted enough by the new thing to forget about the plastic bag long enough for me to put it back in the recycling.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Looks like a goon meet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sassassin posted:

"Actual knowledge" is worth far less to an employer than evidence of your ability to learn. If you prove you can ace an arbitrary test you've proved you can do 90% of jobs out there.
I've yet to find an employer that gives a poo poo what my SAT scores were. Colleges like them because they are an easy way to compare a number of applicants and give a floor for who they'll accept. Having a degree is what you're thinking of.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
So I went to the TCAF opening plenary on friday. Both Lynn Johnston and Kate Beaton were speaking about their work and their time in the industry. It was pretty cool, Kate was charming and hilarious in a kind of dry matter-of-fact way. Lynn was actually insane, she brought up pretty early into the discussion the fact that her husband cheated on her. Also, in reference to the question "what would you have done differently with your strip if you could do it again" she said she would have killed off John "in a funny way". Jesus christ lady.
Anyways, the room was pretty full and I feel like most people were there to see Lynn if that surprises any of you. She did have a really interesting anecdote about beating Jim Davies in the Reuben awards. I guess her and Charles Shulz shared the commonality of hating Garfield which started their friendship.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

^^^ I'm actually sort of surprised by Johnston coming off as crazy. I mean, I knew her history because of this topic, but I figured she was someone who hid it well and the evil clown music only started when you really dug into things she had done or said. Apparently I was wrong and she was willing to discuss killing her ex-husband via proxy in front of an audience.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell is more or less as stupid as usual.

:psyduck: This comic actually angers me because the first two panels set my expectations substantially higher than the punchline paid off. I thought the punchline was going to be Kel arguing she doesn't have a cake, and actually clever about the zebra pattern being an attempt to hide it from the lion. It would still be dumb, but I would have chuckled and felt bad for being amused by Kevin & Kell. Instead we get this wet fart of a punchline.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 12, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cosima posted:

Lynn was actually insane, she brought up pretty early into the discussion the fact that her husband cheated on her. Also, in reference to the question "what would you have done differently with your strip if you could do it again" she said she would have killed off John "in a funny way". Jesus christ lady.
This is the most perfect thing. The only way it could have been better was if she brought up throwing her kid in the snow or eating over the sink.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is the most perfect thing. The only way it could have been better was if she brought up throwing her kid in the snow or eating over the sink.

Actually the moderator brought up how in the strip she was pretty hard on her kids, especially Liz (is she harder on Liz than the others? I'm not sure). Anyways, Lynn kind of just smiled and nodded slowly in acknowledgement.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The dark side of Vitameatavegemin.

[Sealab 2021 quote]

Calvin And Hobbes

DOGG

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cosima posted:

Actually the moderator brought up how in the strip she was pretty hard on her kids, especially Liz (is she harder on Liz than the others? I'm not sure). Anyways, Lynn kind of just smiled and nodded slowly in acknowledgement.
How many awkward silences were there after Lynn's answers?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Evil Mastermind posted:

How many awkward silences were there after Lynn's answers?

A couple. One after she said she would have killed off John, and a few others when she was being crotchety about new technology and modern cartooning. It wasn't terrible though.
One of the more interesting things she talked about was when Lawrence came out in the strip she received all these emotional letters from people going through similar experiences, and that when that strip got published she was dropped by 150 newspapers, but was immediately picked up by more than 150 other newspapers.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think the word 'hate' is thrown around far too much. It's a very powerful word, for a very powerful emotion. Hate can give you succor in the face of adversity, but it can just as easily give strength to your enemies. Hating somebody, truly hating them, gives them power over you.

I strongly dislike Guy Gilchrist.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

I think the word 'hate' is thrown around far too much. It's a very powerful word, for a very powerful emotion. Hate can give you succor in the face of adversity, but it can just as easily give strength to your enemies. Hating somebody, truly hating them, gives them power over you.

I strongly dislike Guy Gilchrist.
That's funny, because I loving hate the guy.

p.s., did you know?

quote:

He has designed logos for Minor League baseball teams, including the Portland Sea Dogs, Norwich Navigators, and New Britain Rock Cats, and also designed the J. League football team Shimizu S-Pulse's mascot, Palchan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Wait, what? 70 million? I had to go check the actual comic to see this wasn't some kind of edit. Wasn't this kind of an involved process?

I'm picturing the ancient egyptians invading other countries exclusively to mummify the inhabitants.

• Locked thread