Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

ephex posted:

Co-rec leagues are why America sucks at football

Shrapnig posted:

Also the NCAA.

This. Also me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

The one true heezy posted:

Also, whats with people that don't pass to girls?

They're usually a black hole unto which you never see the ball again, in my experience. I still pass to girls and guys that suck, but I'd rather hoof it up the pitch

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Xbox One posted:

Yes, I freely admit that our past-it 25-35 year olds just can't hang with the likes of Spain and Germany's.

About three weeks away from a trip with some buddies to Central Europe and will get to put this to the test. My 29 year old rear end plans to find out if I can hack it with Euro past-its.
(i won't)

blueyedevil posted:

They're usually a black hole unto which you never see the ball again, in my experience. I still pass to girls and guys that suck, but I'd rather hoof it up the pitch

Nothing fucks up a pick-up game like a black-hole-of-possession on your team. Sometimes it's just a dude who can only dribble with his head down.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

TasmanianX posted:

Nothing fucks up a pick-up game like a black-hole-of-possession on your team. Sometimes it's just a dude who can only dribble with his head down.

Yep, this is the worst part of pickup/rec leagues. The worst offenders are always dudes who used to play at some competitive level but are now out of shape. They don't trust anyone to receive a pass, they always dribble straight toward goal, and they lose possession when they eventually get surrounded by 3 defenders.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 512 days!

CaptainRightful posted:

Yep, this is the worst part of pickup/rec leagues. The worst offenders are always dudes who used to play at some competitive level but are now out of shape. They don't trust anyone to receive a pass, they always dribble straight toward goal, and they lose possession when they eventually get surrounded by 3 defenders.

Nah occasionally they rip a shot from outside the box that goes wide or right at the keeper.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

At least they always track back to help defend the ball they just lost.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

There's someone like that on my team, but it's sort of been slowly evolving. He used to be a great teammate and he's been sliding into selfish mediocrity lately. Two sessions ago we won all our games, last session we were 6-2, now we're 0-2. Your comment about not trusting anyone to receive a pass hit the nail on the head.

Tigren posted:

THIS. loving THIS.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2014

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 512 days!
Let's talk about stopper/sweeper vs. 2 CBs

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Xbox One posted:

Let's talk about stopper/sweeper vs. 2 CBs

in a rec league both is the answer tbh

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 512 days!

ephex posted:

in a rec league both is the answer tbh

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm not the best as keeping possession under pressure, but I like to think I'm not a huge detriment because I play as a CB and I'm decent at pressing others and withstanding tackles.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm not the best as keeping possession under pressure, but I like to think I'm not a huge detriment because I play as a CB and I'm decent at pressing others and withstanding tackles.

How do you withstand tackles?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tigren posted:

Another fun trait of many rec league players is the refusal to make any pass that isn't forward.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How do you withstand tackles?

I'm not exactly playing against Paolo Maldini here. When players challenge, you usually get clattered and I'm apparently good about brushing that off and getting back up quickly.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 512 days!

CaptainRightful posted:

Another fun trait of many rec league players is the refusal to make any pass that isn't forward.

This is the true worst part of rec. Our team has been playing together long enough where this trait has been beaten out of most everyone, but oh man it was bad for a while.

When I sub for teams, I always get stuffed in as a CM and I spend the first half getting in position to receive square balls but instead watching passes go in forward and off of a CB's shins or some poo poo. I spend the second half playing forward and trying to knock those passes back to the CMs.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Xbox One posted:

This is the true worst part of rec. Our team has been playing together long enough where this trait has been beaten out of most everyone, but oh man it was bad for a while.

When I sub for teams, I always get stuffed in as a CM and I spend the first half getting in position to receive square balls but instead watching passes go in forward and off of a CB's shins or some poo poo. I spend the second half playing forward and trying to knock those passes back to the CMs.

What formation do you guys use?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Well, at least all my complaints seem to be common

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Eric Cantonese posted:

What formation do you guys use?

4-0-6.

EDIT: Sometimes we park the bus and play a 4-1-5.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Unless there was something in their communication that caused the goal, the left back is at fault.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?
Today I did a Jozy and did not score 6 feet in front of the goal. Lost by one goal, gently caress me. Also lost the ball at one point, angrily slid tackled on the rubber pellet turf poo poo, and tore open a now burning gash on my knee. But I got the ball back in a recreational league so it's all worth it right?

Also missed a free header right in front of the box. I'm really poo poo at headers. Considering I'm 6'5" and living in Guatemala where everyone is tiny, this should be my strong suit. Any advice besides just practice them?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm 6'4" and headers on an indoor field are hard to come by. I scored a sick one once and it was called back because we didn't let the ref get back into position for the free kick, what a joke. No advice for you though, I'm both a frequent bottler and new to the sport :(

But I'm ok on defense so whatever

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009
I'm due to play in a football tournament in a couple of months time and its been about 4 years since I last kicked a football. Can anyone recommend some basic drills/exercises for a not very good centre back?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sods Law posted:

I'm due to play in a football tournament in a couple of months time and its been about 4 years since I last kicked a football. Can anyone recommend some basic drills/exercises for a not very good centre back?

Find a wall, kick a ball against it forever.

Use both feet.

Find a hill, run sprints up and down it forever.

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009
I suspected it was going to be that. Thanks.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Drifted unmarked to the edge of the box at a corner today, ball deflected and I hit a volley spinning into the top corner that the keeper just dove to save. Would have been an awesome goal :'(. Stupid keepers.

Awesome save. Bastard.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Today I did a Jozy and did not score 6 feet in front of the goal. Lost by one goal, gently caress me. Also lost the ball at one point, angrily slid tackled on the rubber pellet turf poo poo, and tore open a now burning gash on my knee. But I got the ball back in a recreational league so it's all worth it right?

Also missed a free header right in front of the box. I'm really poo poo at headers. Considering I'm 6'5" and living in Guatemala where everyone is tiny, this should be my strong suit. Any advice besides just practice them?

Find a tree. Have a friend stand to one side of you and throw ball in front of you at head height, rugby style throw is best, and try to hit the tree. Keep your eyes open if you can

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Scored a volley from the left edge of the penalty area to the upper right corner of the goal. Will never score it again in my life, everything was perfect about my shot, dipped just in time to not hit the crossbar.

We led 2-0 at half time. Lost 3-0 the second half. Bottled it hard with some comedy goals. First 90 minutes game for me in a 11 vs 11 this season. I was dead at the 70th minute but we had no substitutions left. gently caress playing in the 4th level of your countries football pyramid.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Scored a volley from the left edge of the penalty area to the upper right corner of the goal. Will never score it again in my life, everything was perfect about my shot, dipped just in time to not hit the crossbar.

I hit one from the left side like that with my left foot on the half-volley a few sessions ago. It was easily my best goal, total luck, weak foot and all.

Today I had my best game to date, two goals, including one off a cross which has been my weakness, and one from out deep that skimmed into the bottom left corner. The most satisfying thing was playing lights-out defense, I was all over the place.

Naturally, we have a bye next week and then it's Memorial Day weekend, so I won't play again until June :mad:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Played in my second indoor league match, we lost 9-1. That makes us 0W-2L 4GF-20GA so far, only 8 more games to go. We play the league winners next week!

Shrapnig posted:

Find a wall, kick a ball against it forever.

Use both feet.

Find a hill, run sprints up and down it forever.

Thinking I need to do some of that, though hills are tough to come by in Florida.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you guys need to park the bus

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Or just hold onto the ball for, like, more than a couple seconds.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Or leave Florida.

Seriously, get the gently caress out of Florida. This is coming from an Ohioan.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
hyperextended my left knee on saturday, forgot how painful knee injuries are.
dont injure your knees kids, it's excruciating.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

This might be controversial, but I think knee injuries are worse than ankle injuries and take longer to recover from too

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

This might be controversial, but I think knee injuries are worse than ankle injuries and take longer to recover from too

Agreed, a lot of ankle injuries you can strap up and play on. Knee injuries, not so much.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bogan Krkic posted:

How is that controversial at all?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

absolutely.

I've had numerous ankle injuries (broken, torn ligaments, syndesmosis) and while they're definitely painful, they are manageable in certain instances (though syndesmosis was easily the most painful of the three)

but knee injuries, i've only really had two in my 'career', a torn lcl and now this knee hyperextension and yeah, it's loving painful. you basically can't distract yourself from it because it just pulsates consistently, makes you miserable.

I don't have many ankle injuries anymore thanks to having orthotics, but I used to get them almost monthly.

a lot of ankle injuries come from bad proprioception and weak stabilizing muscles around your calf, they are preventable in some situations (though if someone comes flying into your ankle there's not much you can do about that lol).

Robbie Fowler fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 14, 2014

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Played my first game of football in a long time last night as a defender. Pitch was uneven and weird but manageable. I'm so out of practice but it was really fun.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Also, some dude on the opposing team was playing without shinguards (and some lovely trainers, not cleats) and whined about being hit in the leg by someone's cleats. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ShaggiusPrime posted:

It wasn't Jozy-like if you didn't fall down. :colbert: