Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Torka posted:

That fix only works for people who have old config files that need deleting because they've installed past betas of the game before, it won't do anything for a new player because they don't have any outdated configuration to remove.

Didn't see anything to suggest he was new, my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Are melee gimped in PvP at higher levels? I'm rolling with a warrior and in the 14 bracket so far I'm only averaging like 70k damage per game.

Or maybe I just suck.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Welp, played a Chua Medic/Scientist to level 5 and through Crimson Isle and I am already sorely tempted to drop cash on a preorder. Game has a ton of attitude and the action/telegraph combat is really fun in practice.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hahaha nope, but doing some research it's even more bizarre.

Other people with the bug also said that it teleports you to a different /loc. I'm impressed.
Yep, I have that bug as well and tagged a "me too" on the bug report threads for it. It's completely bizarre. Do you have the game installed to a place other than the default? My best guess for it is weird poo poo happening because it tries to find a file someplace it isn't and just completely doesn't know how to handle it. Even the Carbine guy who posted on it says it's the weirdest drat bug he's seen.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

CrashCat posted:

Yep, I have that bug as well and tagged a "me too" on the bug report threads for it. It's completely bizarre. Do you have the game installed to a place other than the default? My best guess for it is weird poo poo happening because it tries to find a file someplace it isn't and just completely doesn't know how to handle it. Even the Carbine guy who posted on it says it's the weirdest drat bug he's seen.

Nope, mine's default. Got a link to the thread? I'll post in it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mercurius posted:

Actually it's basically the other way around where it's currently optimised for low-end systems and they're still optimising for high-end systems.

I dropped down to single digit FPS on medium/high settings in the first exile zone.

By comparison I can keep 60 FPS in hundred person fights in Planetside 2 or ESO.

That is quite a bit of room for improvement, I'm not sure the 2 weeks(?) left before release is enough time.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

WarLocke posted:

Welp, played a Chua Medic/Scientist to level 5 and through Crimson Isle and I am already sorely tempted to drop cash on a preorder. Game has a ton of attitude and the action/telegraph combat is really fun in practice.
Greenmangaming has a 25% off sale going on until tomorrow (not sure what time). I'm only planning to play for a couple of months since the Blizzard trifecta will surely suck me back in soon, but at $45 it's pretty hard to pass up a couple hundred hours of quality gameplay.

Xae posted:

I dropped down to single digit FPS on medium/high settings in the first exile zone.

By comparison I can keep 60 FPS in hundred person fights in Planetside 2 or ESO.

That is quite a bit of room for improvement, I'm not sure the 2 weeks(?) left before release is enough time.
There's no way that they'll be able to get optimization, er, optimal before release. The best to hope for is that they'll be able to get it playable on most machines and that updated AMD/Nvidia drivers will help out a bit.

edit: Oh apparently the standard edition is currently sold out on GMG. Welp.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 12, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

vanbags posted:

Are melee gimped in PvP at higher levels? I'm rolling with a warrior and in the 14 bracket so far I'm only averaging like 70k damage per game.

Or maybe I just suck.

I have yet to not be top of the scoreboard with my Stalker in the same bracket. Some classes are pretty meh at earlier brackets so it could be that.

e: So I take it it's a safe bet that we're going Pergo for launch?

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 12, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Xae posted:

Based on what we can assume about your system, it sounds like a high end system. Which are going to be last to be optimized. Which means what he said is still correct.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Is it just nvidia cards taking a poo poo? I'm running a 3370k with a 7970 and I get flat 60 at 2560x1440 with everything on highest, AA off. The only time it dipped in frames was when it was raining at one point.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
Just got into the open beta since yesterday, and I'm having fun just like I used to when I first played WoW post-launch.

I've already pre-ordered at GMG with the 25% discount, so I'm all set to go!

My character will be engineer, and I'm unsure which patch I will choose between soldier, settler, and scientist since all 3 paths have abilities that I want.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I updated to the latest beta Nvidia Drivers, and while I wasn't having any issues with performance, I did get about a 20% increase in performance from the update. I don't know how far outdated I was though, could have been as much as a month or so, but the beta drivers detail having a lot of performance increases in games and maybe WildStar benefits? Might be worth checking out for those of you one Nvidia cards.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sedisp posted:

e: So I take it it's a safe bet that we're going Pergo for launch?
It's an interesting question since Nexus (PVE) has overtaken Pergo (PVP) for preferred server while PVP is still slightly ahead of PVE in general (but there's not much in it). Faction seems to be overwhelmingly Dominion at this point but given the number of people who've voted for PVE and PVP and how close they are I'm kind of wondering if it'd be possible to support both PVE and PVP guilds given both options have over 100 votes. We probably need to make a choice fairly soon since the name/guild reservations are available in a little over a day.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mercurius posted:

It's an interesting question since Nexus (PVE) has overtaken Pergo (PVP) for preferred server while PVP is still slightly ahead of PVE in general (but there's not much in it). Faction seems to be overwhelmingly Dominion at this point but given the number of people who've voted for PVE and PVP and how close they are I'm kind of wondering if it'd be possible to support both PVE and PVP guilds given both options have over 100 votes. We probably need to make a choice fairly soon since the name/guild reservations are available in a little over a day.

Nexus is going to be the test server come launch so we'd probably have to do a new poll.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Mercurius posted:

Do we know anything about the specific ruleset on PvP servers? I.e., will carebears suffer badly enough to justify two guilds.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

WarLocke posted:

Make a Spellslinger, be sure you have 'Hold Button Down instead of Press Twice' and 'Hold to Continue Casting' to get a better view of the gameplay.
Better yet, try all the classes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it the times I play, or does there not seem to be a lot of people playing? At most the most populous servers are at medium.

It could be just that people do not want to play too much when their progress is wiped, but in a game like this where group content is the focus, it would live and die on the player population.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Name and guild reservations are universal, and the official server list still hasn't been announced, so I'm kind of stuck right now.

We're going to have splinters any way we go so I'm just trying to find the path of least resistance so we can at least hopefully-maybe get a 20-40 man group for endgame content

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Nope, mine's default. Got a link to the thread? I'll post in it.
Well, drat, I'm out of guesses then. https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40221-teleport-black-screen-when-clicking-reputation-tab/ if you want to tack on your report.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Lemon King posted:

Make a Spellslinger, be sure you have 'Hold Button Down instead of Press Twice' and 'Hold to Continue Casting' to get a better view of the gameplay.

I like those settings in theory, but in practice I always end up doing an extra spam attack that I didn't intend before I can switch over to one of my real attacks when it comes off cooldown.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WarLocke posted:

Thank you for keeping us updated on your every action.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Good to hear you're enjoying the game! As far as the Scientist path goes, I suggest you try doing some stuff in Deradune, because that's where you'll start to see the real meat of what being that path means. As much as I like lore, I found it kind of tedious, myself, so if nothing else you should definitely test the waters a bit more on that end.

You'll probably also like the Medic class even more once you get Quantum Cascade. I started using it and never went back to that other lame spender.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

a cat on an apple posted:

Good to hear you're enjoying the game! As far as the Scientist path goes, I suggest you try doing some stuff in Deradune, because that's where you'll start to see the real meat of what being that path means. As much as I like lore, I found it kind of tedious, myself, so if nothing else you should definitely test the waters a bit more on that end.

You'll probably also like the Medic class even more once you get Quantum Cascade. I started using it and never went back to that other lame spender.

Is Deradune better than Ellevar for scientist things? I've got my scientist at Ellevar and my explorer at Deradune.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dreffen posted:

Nexus is going to be the test server come launch so we'd probably have to do a new poll.
I meant more that the sentiment is there's enough interest in a PVE server in general.

straw man posted:

Do we know anything about the specific ruleset on PvP servers? I.e., will carebears suffer badly enough to justify two guilds.
Same rules as WoW: Not flagged in your faction's zones, flagged in shared zones, flagged in opposing faction zones. Shared zones are basically all of the 14+ zones as far as I can tell.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
How does the server model for this game work? Back to old-style WOW servers where if your friends quit on server A, you're starting from scratch to play with people on server B?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I do it just for you.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Feedback on a game? In my pre-release thread? *rolls up sleeves* This will not stand

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it the times I play, or does there not seem to be a lot of people playing? At most the most populous servers are at medium.

It could be just that people do not want to play too much when their progress is wiped, but in a game like this where group content is the focus, it would live and die on the player population.

Everything feels really empty to me. Moreso than I expected.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Thoom posted:

I like those settings in theory, but in practice I always end up doing an extra spam attack that I didn't intend before I can switch over to one of my real attacks when it comes off cooldown.

You might fiddle with your ability cue settings in the combat section of the settings. I was having the same issue (firing off an extra builder) and shortening the the ability cue seems to have fixed it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

xiw posted:

How does the server model for this game work? Back to old-style WOW servers where if your friends quit on server A, you're starting from scratch to play with people on server B?

I sure hope not, but from what I've seen WildStar has this bizarre mix of modern MMO design and the worst parts of old school MMO design. I wouldn't be shocked if servers are meant to be exclusive in every way to foster "community" or some horseshit.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

a cat on an apple posted:

Gamma Rays is awesome. It's much better single target damage, and only costing 2 actuators instead of QC's 3 makes for more intuitive rotations. You only really want to have one on your bar at a time depending on the fight, so I rigged up a UI button to quickswap them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Nexus has the advantage of being the only thing that most people will know relates to Wilstar and was the server a lot of goons did in beta so it's not that surprising.

Either or they don't have much over a hundred votes then you have to consider people ditching the game and the inevitable amount of goons who will go wherever regardless of the pole. That combined with the raids being forty mans it's probably a good idea to at least start on the same server.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mercurius posted:

I meant more that the sentiment is there's enough interest in a PVE server in general.

Oh my mistake then! PvE is less hassle. That's all I got. If I want to PvP I'd queue a bunch for BGs, and I do. I'm enjoying how chaotic it gets and stuff.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Argas posted:

Is Deradune better than Ellevar for scientist things? I've got my scientist at Ellevar and my explorer at Deradune.

To my experience, it really doesn't matter. You get more or less the same stuff in all of the large zones, it's just that certain missions can be really, really lovely. Staking Claim for Explorers is basically the worst poo poo.

hit button posted:

Gamma Rays is awesome. It's much better single target damage, and only costing 2 actuators instead of QC's 3 makes for more intuitive rotations. You only really want to have one on your bar at a time depending on the fight, so I rigged up a UI button to quickswap them.

I just don't think it's enough for being single target, and I don't feel the interest in keeping both on my bar.

Generally my battle rotation goes something like:

QC, Discharge until 3 Actuators or chance to Paralytic Surge for MoO, QC, Energize, QC, QC. Even if you don't have the Actuators to do all three casts of QC, it's still worthwhile to use if you have a chance, and usually with that rotation either nothing's alive or Gamma Rays wouldn't have sped the battle up much anyway.

Though if you're specifically attacking only one thing, Gamma Rays would probably be better, but I don't feel that efficient since your builder hits up to five.

My primary LAS: Discharge, QC, PS, whichever dash is appropriate, Emission, Mending Probes, Crisis Wave. Not really focused but it's low effort so I don't have to change it outside of dungeons. :effort:

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

It's worth noting that a GR rotation would have got its fourth GR off before you've even finished your second QC (in fact before you'd even started your second QC once they're at T4).

Don't get me wrong, GR is off my bars like 80% of the time. But whenever you're fighting a tough single target it really shines.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I've heard ~rumors~ that server transfers and faction transfers will be buyable with CREDD, so if you realize playing with your real life friends was a mistake you get stuck on a dead server/faction you should be able to fix it.

Have no idea if this is true/actually a service

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Hydras drown the outsiders contaminating Storm-Seeker laaands.

edit: MY BAD, It's Hydris, who is the Mother of Stormseekers. WildStar lore.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 12, 2014

illionaire
Apr 18, 2005

It's all about the
Yenjamins,
baby
Someone invite NathanExplosion to the guild on Nexus server, tia~

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Nexus has the advantage of being the only thing that most people will know relates to Wilstar and was the server a lot of goons did in beta so it's not that surprising.

Either or they don't have much over a hundred votes then you have to consider people ditching the game and the inevitable amount of goons who will go wherever regardless of the pole. That combined with the raids being forty mans it's probably a good idea to at least start on the same server.

Nexus is going to be the name of the PTR server at release. They won't be using Nexus as a normal server name for exactly the reason you mention .

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

Manifest Dynasty posted:

You might fiddle with your ability cue settings in the combat section of the settings. I was having the same issue (firing off an extra builder) and shortening the the ability cue seems to have fixed it.

I turned off the ability queue almost instantly on my Stalker when I had a warm and fuzzy WoW rogue Sinister-Strike spam flashback.
Only thing that bugs me is the "Ability not ready yet" spam I produce. I seem to remember that there was an addon to turn this off in Vanilla WoW times, hope there will be one for this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Syrek posted:

Only thing that bugs me is the "Ability not ready yet" spam I produce. I seem to remember that there was an addon to turn this off in Vanilla WoW times, hope there will be one for this too.

Interface options > Show Spell Error Messages

• Locked thread