Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mr. stefan posted:

So I watched The Good, The Bad, and the Weird the other day and ended up really liking it, especially the ghost market shootout and the massive chase scene at the end. Are there any other real stand-out examples of Korean/Asian cinema on netflix at the moment? I've seen Oldboy, but I duuno if any of the other Vengeance movies are still on netflix.
Doesn't look like they are, which is a shame because they're good, especially Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. Looking through the current selection, a lot of my favorites have gone off of US Netflix, but here's what I could find.

Thrillers: The Chaser, The Host
Horror: Bedeviled, I Saw the Devil (could cross over to the thriller category)
Comedy: Welcome to Dongmakgol
Movies that turn into huge depressing downers by the end (that's not a spoiler, almost every Korean movie, no matter the genre, is required to at least end with something depressing): Pieta, Breathless, all of the above (except maybe the Host)

Almost missed The Man from Nowhere. It's sort of like Taken meets Leon: The Professional but even better.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The Man from Nowhere is ludicrously dope.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

drunken officeparty posted:

Just saw that Pain & Gain was put onto U.S Netflix. One of my favorite moves ever, and one of the best ever made in my opinion.

Oh hell yeah. Watched the first half with my parents while I was visiting last year. I'm sure you understand why I only saw half. Time to finish what I started.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mr. stefan posted:

So I watched The Good, The Bad, and the Weird the other day and ended up really liking it, especially the ghost market shootout and the massive chase scene at the end. Are there any other real stand-out examples of Korean/Asian cinema on netflix at the moment? I've seen Oldboy, but I duuno if any of the other Vengeance movies are still on netflix.

Outrage and its sequel Beyond Outrage, the Beat Takeshi ultimate gangster flicks, are both up right now. So is Miike's 13 Assassins. Sion Sono's Strange Circus if you want one of "the Japanese David Lynch"'s better flicks. Yakuza Hunters: Duel in Hell if you want trashy cowboy yakuza girl assassin fare (low rent Tarantino). Howling (the Korean one, not the American one) is a good thriller.

And if you want an old Japanese flick that is unexpectedly awesome, Detective Bureau 2-3: Go To Hell Bastards lives up to its name.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The hell is going on with Netflix subtitles? They've decided to pull all text from inside the actual movies/shows themselves to put them onto their subtitle system on the mobile app editions. This wouldn't be so bad except in some cases they never bothered to actually add the text (which was especially noticeable in the Japan/China sequences of Kill Bill the other day, which then had no translation) but in other cases they even removed the text from title cards, so you're left staring at a black screen for several seconds wondering the hell is going on. I'm left wondering why they would even bother removing the hard coded subtitles that came with the movie in the first place if they're translations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone looking for good stand up who hasn't seen Doug Stanhope's Beer Hall Putsch should give it a watch. It's pretty great, and the last 20 minutes are unbelievable. The astonished fan in the Oakland cap was such a fun little detail during his football fantasy.

poo poo is really, really dark though.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

Anyone looking for good stand up who hasn't seen Doug Stanhope's Beer Hall Putsch should give it a watch. It's pretty great, and the last 20 minutes are unbelievable. The astonished fan in the Oakland cap was such a fun little detail during his football fantasy.

poo poo is really, really dark though.

I've always been fairly indifferent to Stanhope, but after that special, seeing how many laughs he got out of me by talking about helping his mom kill herself, I started to suspect he may be a genius.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

I've always been fairly indifferent to Stanhope, but after that special, seeing how many laughs he got out of me by talking about helping his mom kill herself, I started to suspect he may be a genius.

Agreed 100% on both counts. I only watched the special because a friend of mind opened for him fairly recently, and any time I wasn't cracking up I was just in awe of the balls on the guy. I'm kicking myself for missing the local gig he did. It's such a lovely comedy town.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The hell is going on with Netflix subtitles? They've decided to pull all text from inside the actual movies/shows themselves to put them onto their subtitle system on the mobile app editions. This wouldn't be so bad except in some cases they never bothered to actually add the text (which was especially noticeable in the Japan/China sequences of Kill Bill the other day, which then had no translation) but in other cases they even removed the text from title cards, so you're left staring at a black screen for several seconds wondering the hell is going on. I'm left wondering why they would even bother removing the hard coded subtitles that came with the movie in the first place if they're translations.

I had a similar issue watching Lost a few weeks ago. During scenes with Korean dialogue, the Netflix subtitles kicked in and actually went over top of the hard coded ones, and sometimes two seconds earlier or later, making it completely unwatchable. I tried closing the app and messing with the subtitle options, but they didn't work properly until I actually restarted my PS4. That said, I did watch Kill Bill the other day without issue. I guess it's just one of those lovely Netflix things that happen for no reason.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Just noticed a handful of old Godzilla movies on US Netflix. Not sure how long they've been on there, but I know what I'm doing this week.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3350308&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40
If you are lucky enough to have access (I hope this is the right one) this old thread it does a great job at telling the storied history of the Gozilla and Toho series of monster movies. For a franchise that long and that had Don Frye its worth reading up on while ya watch.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3350308&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40
If you are lucky enough to have access (I hope this is the right one) this old thread it does a great job at telling the storied history of the Gozilla and Toho series of monster movies. For a franchise that long and that had Don Frye its worth reading up on while ya watch.

Archives are down for now (As is search, just like the good ole days)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing popped up over the weekend as well. Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof doing Shakespeare? I'm down for that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mr. stefan posted:

Castaway on the Moon is absolutely amazing. I don't think it's on Netflix anymore, but think you can find the full movie on youtube.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

PDMChubby posted:

I had a similar issue watching Lost a few weeks ago. During scenes with Korean dialogue, the Netflix subtitles kicked in and actually went over top of the hard coded ones, and sometimes two seconds earlier or later, making it completely unwatchable. I tried closing the app and messing with the subtitle options, but they didn't work properly until I actually restarted my PS4. That said, I did watch Kill Bill the other day without issue. I guess it's just one of those lovely Netflix things that happen for no reason.

Did Netflix use generic music in Kill Bill because of licensing or an alternate cut? I feel like there was something different about the final fight scene.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

red19fire posted:

Did Netflix use generic music in Kill Bill because of licensing or an alternate cut? I feel like there was something different about the final fight scene.

I watched it over the weekend and the soundtrack was the same, as far as I can remember.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wanna say the uncut Japanese DVD uses some different cues (particularly I think the snippet of Super 16 by Neu! got taken out) so if that's the version you're familiar with, that might be it. I'm not 100% though, since I haven't seen that version in a really long time.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm sick of "Our Best Guess For You" clouding my judgement.

I found this site that shows Watch Instantly with RottenTomatoes ratings:
http://abetterqueue.com/

I've found some amazing films this way:

WAKE IN FRIGHT Netflix tells me: 3 Stars. Rotten Tomatoes? 100%
Netflix Description is meh:
A teacher arrives in a rough outback mining town, planning to stay overnight. But, as his one night stretches to five, he plunges toward his own destruction. The educated man is no more. What is left is a self-loathing man in a desolate wasteland.

The top-rated Netflix review (which gave it three stars I can't figure out why) said this:
The performances in this film are Oscar worthy and left me speechless. Why this film never got any awards and pretty much deserted until now is beyond me.

Second up:
KILL LIST: Netflix best guess for me? 2.3 stars. Rotten Tomatoes? 77%
(That's not astounding, but the reviews of the movie look might enticing.)
In this white-knuckle crime flick, out-of-work hit man Jay teams with his partner, Gal, for a three-contract job that rapidly turns from routine to obscene as the call of duty takes a twisted toll on Jay's sanity and sense of control.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Woah, Wake In Fright is up? that movie is intense as gently caress. It was like rereleased last year. One of Australia's "lost films" that was apparently found and remastered

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

magnificent7 posted:

KILL LIST: Netflix best guess for me? 2.3 stars. Rotten Tomatoes? 77%
(That's not astounding, but the reviews of the movie look might enticing.)
In this white-knuckle crime flick, out-of-work hit man Jay teams with his partner, Gal, for a three-contract job that rapidly turns from routine to obscene as the call of duty takes a twisted toll on Jay's sanity and sense of control.

This is a pretty good one.

I watched Pain & Gain last night and it was fantastic.

Also finally watched Lair of the White Worm a few nights ago and it was amazing. If you were putting it off too then go watch it right loving now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Woah, Wake In Fright is up? that movie is intense as gently caress. It was like rereleased last year. One of Australia's "lost films" that was apparently found and remastered

Yeah I watched this a couple of weeks ago on Netflix and was amazed, it's a real Netflix gem, a film where you go "how the gently caress have I never even HEARD of this film before?" Intense, strange, unique. I also couldn't get over how much the the lead resembles a young Guy Pearce. And Donald Pleasance pretty much steals the film, too.

Lair of the White Worm is another Netflix gem, everyone watch this. If you like fun, horror, camp, all of the above, just watch it already.

I'm amazed at the performances Ken Russell was able to get out of Amanda Donohoe in White Worm and Kathleen Turner in Crimes of Passion (sadly not on streaming), some pretty scandalous material but he was able to get them to completely go with it. Great stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kill List is one I watched thanks to this thread and it is absolutely loving phenomenal. Try to go in blind like I did, just watch it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

This is a pretty good one.

I watched Pain & Gain last night and it was fantastic.

Also finally watched Lair of the White Worm a few nights ago and it was amazing. If you were putting it off too then go watch it right loving now.

I love Pain & Gain because I worked for someone just like Tony Shaloub's character, nearly identical down to the gaudy purple Plymouth Prowler. In the fitness industry, no less.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo :stare:

So Wake in Fright is basically, tonally, the Australian equivalent of Camus' The Stranger. Easily the most existentially nihilistic flick I've seen in some time. And very, very good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Kill List is one I watched thanks to this thread and it is absolutely loving phenomenal. Try to go in blind like I did, just watch it.

Just be thankful you don't have to wait six months between installments like everyone else did when it first came out.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

precision posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

So Wake in Fright is basically, tonally, the Australian equivalent of Camus' The Stranger. Easily the most existentially nihilistic flick I've seen in some time. And very, very good.

Christ. Yes, very good movie.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Although there were complaints that the film's distributor, United Artists, had failed to promote the film successfully, it was also thought that the film was “perhaps too uncomfortably direct and uncompromising to draw large Australian audiences".[7] During an early Australian screening, one man stood up, pointed at the screen and protested "That's not us!", to which Jack Thompson yelled back "Sit down, mate. It is us."

Also according to Wiki, RE: Kangaroo Hunt:

The hunt lasted several hours, and gradually wore down the filmmakers. According to cinematographer Brian West, "the hunters were getting really drunk and they started to miss, ... It was becoming this orgy of killing and we [the crew] were getting sick of it." Kangaroos hopped about helplessly with gun wounds and trailing intestines. Producer George Willoughby reportedly fainted after seeing a kangaroo "splattered in a particularly spectacular fashion". The crew orchestrated a power failure in order to end the hunt.

I love Netflix Streaming so much for exposing me to fascinating, little-known movies seemingly at random! Other random-rear end movies that I NEVER heard of but really enjoyed thanks to Netflix: How to Make It in Advertising (currently unavailable), Snow on tha Bluff, Brick, and the amazing Drug War.

I also watched Short Term 12 and it is excellent.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 13, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Just be thankful you don't have to wait six months between installments like everyone else did when it first came out.

HERMANN COHEN: When I woke up, I went on what the movie advertisements referred to as a roaring rampage of revenge. I roared and I rampaged and I got bloody satisfaction. I've killed a hell of a lot of people to get to this point. But I have only one more. The last one, the one I'm driving to right now. The only one left. And when I arrive at my destination, I am gonna Kill Liszt.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 13, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I watched The Adventures of Tin Tin the other night and it was fantastic. I hope they make 20 more of them. Just a fun fun movie. There's a scene with some pirates that's just about one of the coolest action sequences I've ever seen.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Skywalker OG posted:

Christ. Yes, very good movie.

'Ave anutha lagga mate' has been a catchphrase in my social circle ever since we sat down and watched it. The movie is even weirder if you're drinking copious amounts of light beer alongside it. Or it couldve been the homemade absinthe

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
These were both in the horror section:

I'm recommending +1. I had never heard of this movie and started it based on its Netflix description. While it doesn't have any truly outstanding bits, there aren't any glaring miscues either. It has a reasonably original story & thought-provoking theme, a patient, deliberate pace, and some interesting camera work in places. It also stars Rhys Wakefield, who was the only interesting thing about The Purge. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.

I also watched The Moth Diaries, which was a piggyback recommendation from +1. I wouldn't recommend this one nearly as much. While the production values are good and Lily Cole's freakishly alien countenance is captivating, the rest of it just seemed like something Ginger Snaps has already done WAY better, albeit with a different monster.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Mahoning posted:

I watched The Adventures of Tin Tin the other night and it was fantastic. I hope they make 20 more of them. Just a fun fun movie. There's a scene with some pirates that's just about one of the coolest action sequences I've ever seen.

Peter Jackson was supposed to direct Tin Tin 2 sooner but was dragged into directing The Hobbit trilogy. He's got a backlog of projects too but I think Tin Tin will be a priority because they can film it pretty quickly with performance capture and work on the film in post production. Peter Jackson and Spielberg will co-direct the third film as planned, although I'm not sure why Spielberg didn't just replace PJ as director for #2 and get it rolling sooner.

The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun has a release date of 16th December 2016.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

drunkill posted:

Peter Jackson was supposed to direct Tin Tin 2 sooner but was dragged into directing The Hobbit trilogy. He's got a backlog of projects too but I think Tin Tin will be a priority because they can film it pretty quickly with performance capture and work on the film in post production. Peter Jackson and Spielberg will co-direct the third film as planned, although I'm not sure why Spielberg didn't just replace PJ as director for #2 and get it rolling sooner.

The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun has a release date of 16th December 2016.

Honestly, I thought Tin Tin wasn't very good. The movie has too many frantic action sequences without any space in-between for the characters to have quiet moments and character development. It looked okay, but I found I didn't really care about any of the characters in it. I never really read the Tin Tin comics, so maybe I would have liked it better if I knew a bit more of their background.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wait, what? I remember when Kill List came out (it got a lot of buzz in the horror thread) and nobody said anything about this.

ninja edit: just got the joke :ughh:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, what? I remember when Kill List came out (it got a lot of buzz in the horror thread) and nobody said anything about this.

ninja edit: just got the joke :ughh:

Help out those dumber than you (me).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Help out those dumber than you (me).

People were confusing Kill List with Kill Bill.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DorianGravy posted:

Honestly, I thought Tin Tin wasn't very good. The movie has too many frantic action sequences without any space in-between for the characters to have quiet moments and character development. It looked okay, but I found I didn't really care about any of the characters in it. I never really read the Tin Tin comics, so maybe I would have liked it better if I knew a bit more of their background.

TinTin (the comic) was never really about character development, it was all about action and offensive ethnic stereotypes.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

precision posted:

An opposing opinion: Kill List is awful and does absolutely nothing to earn its final third. Worst thread recommendation so far, for me.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought Kill List was the type of movie where not even the film makers really knew start the he'll it was supposed to be about. It ends up leaving a lot of hanging plot threads and doesn't really make a while lot of sense.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DorianGravy posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed with it. The action scenes in the comics were way more grounded in reality; the movie suffers quite a bit from Peter Jackson at his 'more is never enough' worst. If you read the comics, you would have just been annoyed that they crammed parts from like three stories together along with a bunch of new action scenes. I don't know that you could make a financially successful movie from a straight adaptation of the comics, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed with it. The action scenes in the comics were way more grounded in reality; the movie suffers quite a bit from Peter Jackson at his 'more is never enough' worst. If you read the comics, you would have just been annoyed that they crammed parts from like three stories together along with a bunch of new action scenes. I don't know that you could make a financially successful movie from a straight adaptation of the comics, though.

Although since it was not directed by Jackson, but rather by Spielberg, I suspect he was involved with this right after filming The Crystal Skull, so he was still obsessed with this absurd action sequences, a la Shia swinging from vine to vine with monkeys chasing after speeding cars in the jungle.

• Locked thread