Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Grating cheese by hand?

:rolleyes:

contrapants posted:

How do you grate, then? I use one of those cowbell-looking things for mozzarella every time I make pizza.

SubG posted:

Mike. Row. Plane.

Does someone else do it for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Finally my mandoline has tasted my blood and hopefully drank it's fill.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Maybe it's the pictures, but isn't a huge fan going to blow smoke right on to your neighbor's house? It looks really close to your kitchen wall. Also, I'm not a fan of the pseudo-tables in pictures 2 and 3. Maybe replace the one in pic 2 with matching cabinets and marble top for more work space. If the ceiling bulbs are halogen, you'll be wanting to replace them with LED types, it gets really hot under halogen lights.

I am almost definitely going to be venting it through the attic. yeah, it'll still probably blow towards their house, but not like directly out the back of the hood at their window lol. hopefully venting it through the roof will be ok :/ but thanks for bringing it up, I hadn't really thought that the airflow aspect through. comedy option it vents down the side of my roof and ends up getting sucked back in to my house by itself.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

That's clearly a telephone desk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I always keep my receptionist in the kitchen.

Actually the thing that bugs me the most about that space (color aside) is that the cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. What's with that?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I bought this kind of cheese called ghost chili pepper jack made from these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia. It makes really spicy grilled cheese sandwiches (which you could augment further with red pepper flakes), apparently in the 8-1.5 million scoville range

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always keep my receptionist in the kitchen.

Actually the thing that bugs me the most about that space (color aside) is that the cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. What's with that?

Not sure I've ever seen cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. Storage space more than 8ft up is generally kind of useless.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah that's where your used liquor bottles go. Where do you put yours? In the Recycling?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
no, that actually bothers me a lot too. our current kitchen cabinets go "all the way up", but there's a weird overhang/facade where the top cabinet would be in this kitchen. so I guess our current ones don't really go all the way up, there's just the illusion of that happening. still, it was one of the first things I noticed too.

not really sure what to do about that. maybe I could put some shelving and store bulk goods (extra salt, sugar, flour, vinegar, paper towels, etc) up there, but that would probably get pretty messy looking pretty fast.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 12, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But on the upside, it'll be way up there and no one will notice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I have a food processor with an attachment. It's grate.

Edit: I actually only use it when I have huge amounts of cheese to do. For topping things with grated cheese, it's not really worth it.

This. We have a good box grater which works for reasonable amounts. The clean-up from using the processor only makes it worth it for larger quantities. If I'm grating carrots for dino.'s carrot pickle, for instance, then the processor is a godsend. Slicing potatoes and onions for Spanish tortilla too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

That's clearly a telephone desk.

Yeah, before the modern McMansion era, this was the sign of a nice kitchen in a big house. The house my remaining grandmother lives in has a huge kitchen, and the desk it has is almost like a mini office.

People seem to forget that WHERE you put your landline phones was important enough that living spaces were designed with that in mind.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

People still have landlines?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Got dumped after a 4 year relationship. Have to sell the apartment, am down. Eating frozen pizza and pulled pork. Help me GWS Chat you're my only hope.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BlueGrot posted:

Got dumped after a 4 year relationship. Have to sell the apartment, am down. Eating frozen pizza and pulled pork. Help me GWS Chat you're my only hope.

Put the pork on the pizza.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SubG posted:

Vegan cheeses are pretty bad, but you really need to watch out for carnivorous cheeses. They're generally bad tempered, and they charge when wounded.

Horace?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, before the modern McMansion era, this was the sign of a nice kitchen in a big house. The house my remaining grandmother lives in has a huge kitchen, and the desk it has is almost like a mini office.

People seem to forget that WHERE you put your landline phones was important enough that living spaces were designed with that in mind.

I should very much like to put my tele-fone in our parlour so that I might enjoy a scotch and converse at leisure, rather than be disturbed by the petty goings-on of the kitchen.

:)

no but really my parents house, and grandparents house of course had a phone nook. they were always in the kitchen though, I never understood that part. they both also had like 'formal' rooms with the good china and fancy table and grandfather clock - where it looked like you could really spread out and get a lot done if you wanted work wise - but no one ever went into them. it's strange sometimes, living in the south...

fond memories of sitting under the table in almost dead silence mid-afternoon in the unlit room (no one ever turned lights on in the formal room either) with the clock thudding back and forth, rays of summer sun beating down through the window such that you could see dust floating through the air, listening to trees creak and wind whistle through cracks in the windowpanes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there only countertops on one side of the kitchen?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are there only countertops on one side of the kitchen?

the other side has a door to a small pantry - far too deep and narrow for its own good, a fridge, and then a square block of countertop, one drawer width wide, which they had a microwave sitting on. Sort of bizarre. Not sure how to improve that - I thought about the possibility of swapping the stove and the fridge, but it would probably be more trouble than it'd be worth.

suggestions welcome. :(

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Maybe get a kitchen island or w/e until you can put in new counter tops? That way you can blow your budget on that doom vent of yours.

I made a thread, come in and say hi please.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633494

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

mindphlux posted:

no, that actually bothers me a lot too. our current kitchen cabinets go "all the way up", but there's a weird overhang/facade where the top cabinet would be in this kitchen. so I guess our current ones don't really go all the way up, there's just the illusion of that happening. still, it was one of the first things I noticed too.

not really sure what to do about that. maybe I could put some shelving and store bulk goods (extra salt, sugar, flour, vinegar, paper towels, etc) up there, but that would probably get pretty messy looking pretty fast.

Go with cabinets as high as you can go. Then get a folding stool or something that you can slip in a closet to reach the high stuff. There is always something that you want to store in the kitchen but don't need access to everyday (extra plates/stemware, pitchers, bundt/cupcake/miniloaf pans, etc.) and then the actual stuff you use on a daily/weekly basis can be very accessible.

I have like 10.5 ft ceilings, but those are 42" upper cabinets and it makes a huge difference in the total amount of kitchen stuff that we do NOT have to store in another room. We also put in these glass front display cabinets over our "pantry wall" to avoid that gap between the cabinets and ceiling.

I highly recommend closed storage as opposed to open storage over your cabinets. Stuff can get nasty from little oil droplets and dust. then when you want to use it you will have to spend time cleaning it.

*fake edit: you can also see the vent hood in that first picture. I think I recommended it to you before. http://www.bestrangehoods.com/home.aspx it is a WP29 and I love it. I can run most of those burners on High and never feel the heat a foot or so away. Use the oven in the summer and not overheat the room. Make fish, bacon, sear steaks and never smell it away from the stove.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

KWC posted:

Go with cabinets as high as you can go. Then get a folding stool or something that you can slip in a closet to reach the high stuff. There is always something that you want to store in the kitchen but don't need access to everyday (extra plates/stemware, pitchers, bundt/cupcake/miniloaf pans, etc.) and then the actual stuff you use on a daily/weekly basis can be very accessible.

I have like 10.5 ft ceilings, but those are 42" upper cabinets and it makes a huge difference in the total amount of kitchen stuff that we do NOT have to store in another room. We also put in these glass front display cabinets over our "pantry wall" to avoid that gap between the cabinets and ceiling.

I highly recommend closed storage as opposed to open storage over your cabinets. Stuff can get nasty from little oil droplets and dust. then when you want to use it you will have to spend time cleaning it.

*fake edit: you can also see the vent hood in that first picture. I think I recommended it to you before. http://www.bestrangehoods.com/home.aspx it is a WP29 and I love it. I can run most of those burners on High and never feel the heat a foot or so away. Use the oven in the summer and not overheat the room. Make fish, bacon, sear steaks and never smell it away from the stove.

very nice looking kitchen! well done. thanks for the suggestions.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
My friend designed his new kitchen to accomodate and display an insane collection of cookbooks (he's approaching a thousand, I think). He has glass doors in the top cabinets - like in KWC's pics there, but through all the kitchen - displaying (lit) and protecting the books. If I ever get a chance to build my own kitchen, I think I'll copy that idea.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Our cabinets don't go up to the ceiling,(there's a 3 inch gap) but I'm going to toss some crown molding up there and it will be close enough. We went with semi-custom cabinets when we remodeled and the uppers only came in 30" and 36" heights. Our kitchen has a lowered ceiling in part of it, and it wasn't in the budget (time or money) to tear that out and redo the ceiling, so we had to go with the 30" upper cabinets to make sure we had enough room between the countertop and the uppers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Like my legs, our cabinets go all the way to the top.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Like my legs, our cabinets go all the way to the top.

Without any gap whatsoever

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
My dream kitchen is all stainless steel everything, big-rear end dual fuel range, tile floor and a giant vent hood. I will die a lonely man but I won't care because the steak will be worth it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so I saw the whole 'dual fuel' thing when I started looking at ranges, but don't get it - is that a good thing? I sort of thought it meant it could handle propane or natural gas, but I must be wrong - what does it do? I am being lazy and could google it, but forumschat is more fun...

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
gas range, electric oven. Best choice, if you can get the oven convection.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This a hundred times.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

dino. posted:

Maybe get a kitchen island or w/e until you can put in new counter tops? That way you can blow your budget on that doom vent of yours.

My mom has a big butcher block cutting board on a cart with wheels, it's a great island. Sturdy enough for a few year's use and far more functional than the vast majority of built-in islands I've seen. Look for one of those? Reminds me of the 60's style hostess carts, but for work instead of presentation.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could just put a regular island on wheels (that lock) -- my parents did that. It gets you a little more height, too, which is great if you're not a shrimp. Most kitchen counters are way too low.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's what we've got and it's great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey everyone, you've been boiling eggs wrong your whole life (again)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Hey everyone, you've been boiling eggs wrong your whole life (again)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

In another four years he's going to make another effortpost completely disproving that one, too. Hardboiled eggs are loving finicky enough that even if you do everything right, they can still be a pain in the rear end (coming from someone who goes through 36/week), so I take most everything about them with a grain of salt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

In another four years he's going to make another effortpost completely disproving that one, too. Hardboiled eggs are loving finicky enough that even if you do everything right, they can still be a pain in the rear end (coming from someone who goes through 36/week), so I take most everything about them with a grain of salt.

36 a week? Are you in Smashmouth?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's a Gaston joke in there somewhere.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LoonShia posted:

There's a Gaston joke in there somewhere.

We would have also accepted Cool Hand Luke

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Kenji is the buzzfeed Alton. All good folks, tho. Then again I keep On Food And Cooking on the shutter so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

36 a week? Are you in Smashmouth?

Gotta get in my brotein somehow, bro. Though I just eat the whites and discard the yolks (on the weekends my dog gets them). I still have to be careful I don't overcook the eggs even though I don't eat the yolks, because rubbery egg whites are really unpleasant.