Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
If it's worth anything you could easily get by in California with owning a motorcycle and not sitting in stopped traffic ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If it's worth anything you can easily be homeless in California because everything is expensive and there's too many people here.

You'll wish you could afford shorts or a motorcycle.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

ceebee posted:

If it's worth anything you can easily be homeless in California because everything is expensive and there's too many people here.

Living in Irvine.txt

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

fargom posted:

Living in Irvine.txt

Life Behind The Orange Curtain, a VICE documentary

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As much as I complained about the 91 last page, I actually never drive on it. Surface streets are my friends and flexible work hours means I just avoid the roads when traffic is the worst.

As bad as southern California is, the Inland Empire is tons better than LA/Orange counties.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

fargom posted:

Living in Irvine.txt

Are you also an Irvine goon?

My girlfriend lives in the IE and I live in Irvine and so I get to enjoy the 91 on a regular basis :(

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Does Irvine still drive homeless people to LA county?

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Studio posted:

Be nice, it was only ever Santa Ana. And I believe they were forced to stop the practice after it got outed by the Register.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Studio posted:

If it's worth anything you could easily get by in California with owning nothing but shorts (business aside).
I hate shorts. I love rainy days. My favorite type of top is a hoodie.

Next year sometime, we'll have an acre or two a scant hour's commute from downtown Seattle, most of that on ferry. You can drive up and see me, we'll have drinks.

... because it'd take you less time to drive to my place than it would to drive home :haw:.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Studio posted:

I assume so. There are very few and they are never around for long.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Next year sometime, we'll have an acre or two a scant hour's commute from downtown Seattle, most of that on ferry. You can drive up and see me, we'll have drinks.

... because it'd take you less time to drive to my place than it would to drive home :haw:.

You should advertise this on Craigslist! :v:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

You should advertise this on Craigslist! :v:
"You could already be home! Houses in Seattle, starting as low as $200k. Also the food's better up there and we totes have surfing too. Besides, why are you driving anyways, all the cool engineers telecommute."

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

wodin posted:

Be nice, it was only ever Santa Ana. And I believe they were forced to stop the practice after it got outed by the Register.

They just drop them off near South Coast Metro on the Santa Ana side now between 2 and 3 AM.

Sigma-X posted:

I assume so. There are very few and they are never around for long.

That's what happens when you live in "Ron Paul's America".

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

In the 9 months I spent in Irvine I didn't see a single homeless person.
Now, in Seattle... that was a whole different story.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
Not to detract from west coast chat, but:

Today I found out the HR rep at a prominent video game company has been taking my applications and NOT submitting them to the hiring process. I applied a couple times last year and didn't make the first round, so I suppose she's just cutting to the chase now and not bothering her superiors with my information any more. (I apply to an open position there about once every three months, and always with something new and relevant in my portfolio to show, or so I thought.)

I found all this out by talking to a different HR person (same company, different office) who thought my portfolio was great, accepted my art test submission, scheduled an interview for me, then had the interview cancelled by someone else in the system. The friendly HR person offered to escalate to their managers to figure this out, but I'm going to tell her to let it go, since I'm fairly certain that is only going to make me look worse.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

From what I've heard Seattle area traffic is pretty crap too. Confirm?

Still, none of this is as bad as what my father-in-law drives: DC beltway from Virginia. I thank the gods for my easy 45-minute commute after hearing about his experiences in the winters.

Edit: Traffic Chat! }-{ello, my future commute.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

ceebee posted:

After you've been homeless in cali you'll never want to be homeless anywhere else.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My worst commute was twenty minutes on a bike. But it rained a lot and I had to go over a big bridge! :v: Now my commute consists of... rolling out of bed and propping myself up in front of my PC in the next room :(

No matter how many horror stories I hear about living/working in California, I think I will always harbour the dream of living there. I have terribly stupid and romantic ideas about America. Someday...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

floofyscorp posted:

My worst commute was twenty minutes on a bike. But it rained a lot and I had to go over a big bridge! :v: Now my commute consists of... rolling out of bed and propping myself up in front of my PC in the next room :(

No matter how many horror stories I hear about living/working in California, I think I will always harbour the dream of living there. I have terribly stupid and romantic ideas about America. Someday...

My worst commute was an hour and ten minutes both ways. What was great about it was that this was during a six month block of ninety hour weeks so I had enough time to go home, microwave a meal, visit the bathroom for a quick whirlwind tour and then sleep before doing it all again. Commuting loving sucks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mutata posted:

From what I've heard Seattle area traffic is pretty crap too. Confirm?

Still, none of this is as bad as what my father-in-law drives: DC beltway from Virginia. I thank the gods for my easy 45-minute commute after hearing about his experiences in the winters.

Edit: Traffic Chat! }-{ello, my future commute.

People bitch about traffic in Seattle, but only those that have never lived someplace with real traffic. It's nothing at all like that around LAX or inland empire, or my personal favorite Long Island Expressway going into New York. At it's absolute worse it takes maybe 20-30 minutes in traffic on top of whatever else the drive would normally be. I bus and if I leave at 6AM, it's 30 minutes, if I leave at 8AM it's 45-50 minutes. If I drive at 11PM it'd still probably be 20-25 minutes.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

EDIT: I look forward to seeing how Seattle traffic compares to Denver traffic. Near as I can tell, it isn't substantially worse. Denver is growing up, I guess. :3:

Chernabog posted:

In the 9 months I spent in Irvine I didn't see a single homeless person.
Now, in Seattle... that was a whole different story.
There aren't homeless people in California, just extremely dedicated beach bums.

... actually I'd be curious to see what the resources there look like, vs Seattle. Part of why, say, Anchorage has less of a problem with homelessness is because there are a lot of programs to get folks off the street. Kinda important there, since otherwise you'll find said folks frozen TO said streets, but it still varies a lot from city to city.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 9, 2014

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Hughlander posted:

People bitch about traffic in Seattle, but only those that have never lived someplace with real traffic. It's nothing at all like that around LAX or inland empire, or my personal favorite Long Island Expressway going into New York. At it's absolute worse it takes maybe 20-30 minutes in traffic on top of whatever else the drive would normally be. I bus and if I leave at 6AM, it's 30 minutes, if I leave at 8AM it's 45-50 minutes. If I drive at 11PM it'd still probably be 20-25 minutes.

It's not that Seattle traffic isn't as bad (the 405 north of Renton is objectively one of the most congested freeways in the country), it's that you just don't go that far around here compared to how far people commute in LA, so you spend less time in it.

Abe
Sep 8, 2006
Does anyone here know what the current working conditions at Gameloft Toronto are like? I heard a lot of bad things about the studio a few years back, but apparently they're claiming to have turned over a new leaf and become a no (or at least minimal) overtime workplace. Just curious if anybody can confirm or debunk that.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
My commutechat contribution:

Seagulls suck!

#dundee

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Abe posted:

Gameloft ... turned over a new leaf

bwahahahhahahhaahaha :stonklol:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Irvine's pretty nice but living right on a major street blows. Happy I'm moving one town over.

And the 55 is way worse than the 91.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Irvine police move homeless "to homeless shelters," but there are zero homeless shelters in Irvine, so they all wind up in Santa Ana. This is not a joke or exaggeration.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 12, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

OneEightHundred posted:

Irvine police move homeless "to homeless shelters," but there are zero homeless shelters in Irvine, so they all wind up in Santa Ana. This is not a joke or exaggeration.

That's when they aren't beating them to death. Oh, wait, that was Fullerton.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

mp5 posted:

Irvine's pretty nice but living right on a major street blows. Happy I'm moving one town over.

And the 55 is way worse than the 91.

Do you ever drive the 91 or do you just take the 55 and think it sucks?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7543299,-117.6707817,11z/data=!5m1!1e1

Google lets you see "typical traffic". 5am monday? Red on the 91. 2pm on a saturday? RED ON THE 91! 5pm on a wednesday? Red on 91 for 4x as long as the 55. Have fun finding when it's green.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is there a magic potion that forces designers to think about multiplayer?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

baby puzzle posted:

No.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

baby puzzle posted:

The "Potion of Keeping Your Job" is pretty effective with a certain set.

Others will need to quaff an "Genre-expanding Elixer".

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Shalinor posted:

I love shorts but also love rainy days and hoodies. Can we still be friends? Also, a ferry commute sounds kind of awesome, but only if it has WiFi. I'll be starting my Seattle job search in earnest as soon as I get the guys to actually... start the search. I keep telling myself it's not a good time to leave my existing job.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

baby puzzle posted:

The more experience I get, the more I believe that the benchmark of a good designer is how many aspects of gameplay they consider when developing something.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Gary the Llama posted:

I love shorts but also love rainy days and hoodies. Can we still be friends? Also, a ferry commute sounds kind of awesome, but only if it has WiFi. I'll be starting my Seattle job search in earnest as soon as I get the guys to actually... start the search. I keep telling myself it's not a good time to leave my existing job.
They do indeed have wifi, IIRC. AND food. :D

Yes, we can still be friends. I can condone shorts, just not on my pasty, lumpy, farmer legs.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Yay the game I am working on was announced today, feels good to be able to have it officially out there (a bit of it at least) :)

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Is Riot a nice place to work at? Is it stable? Friend of mine is curious.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Everyone I know who works there enjoys it a great deal. It does have some minor cultural differences from studios - I've had two different people describe it as a sports team instead of a family when it comes to people pulling their weight and working together. Very open in terms of ideas - if you've got something you are passionate about and want to champion, you can drive it even if it's not necessarily your job description. That cuts both ways, though - you're not going to get to ignore other voices. They're also sorta chronic workaholics, but they were also workaholics when I knew them so not sure how much of that is cultural.

League is doing very well and I have huge admiration for their senior leadership, so assuming your friend can meet the performance requirements it should be stable place to work.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Riot is a great place to work. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

That being said, today is an interesting day. After five years at Riot today will be my last day at the company. I'm leaving to take a design director position at a new studio up north, which has basically been my dream since I got into the industry. It's a risk, but one I'm really excited about! I know I've not posted in this thread too much as of late, but thanks to everyone here who supported me when I was first trying to get into the industry. It was advice from an earlier version of this thread that got me my internship at Riot those many years ago, and were it not for the help of peeps like Shalinor I never would have the opportunity I do now. Thanks guys. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Brackhar posted:

Riot is a great place to work. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

That being said, today is an interesting day. After five years at Riot today will be my last day at the company. I'm leaving to take a design director position at a new studio up north, which has basically been my dream since I got into the industry. It's a risk, but one I'm really excited about! I know I've not posted in this thread too much as of late, but thanks to everyone here who supported me when I was first trying to get into the industry. It was advice from an earlier version of this thread that got me my internship at Riot those many years ago, and were it not for the help of peeps like Shalinor I never would have the opportunity I do now. Thanks guys. :)

congrats! how far up north? bay area or seattle?