Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

on my NG+ run through Forest of Fallen Giants I learned entirely by accident that you can deflect firebombs if they hit your weapon mid-swing

that's kinda silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except it doesn't matter that the soul memory is there because it's just not expensive to upgrade poo poo (also don't buy lifegems, why would you ever do that). It would be incredibly difficult to actually fall behind people in any meaningful way through just buying poo poo. To the point that you'd actively have to be trying to do it. At worst if you're a heavy spender you might end up one or two levels behind someone that just upgraded one armor set/weapon. This is not the problem you think it is.

I like experimenting with equipment and weapons and I have 10+ items of each that are at +10 or +9. :colbert: I'm almost certainly underleveled to those I'm PvPing against if they aren't the same way, which many people with specific PvP builds are not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

That's kind of a wet fart of a ring then. Not to bring down the wrath of the balance gods but seems like one saving humanity and the other saving souls makes more sense.

Albeit you don't get the soul saving one until late in the game.

You can repair them, too. First time I used one was against the Ancient Dragon in my first run and when it broke I expected it to be gone for good. Nope! They're cheap to fix as well, the regular one is 3000 souls and the the one that saves you from being petrified is 6000.

Artificer posted:

I like experimenting with equipment and weapons and I have 10+ items of each that are at +10 or +9. :colbert: I'm almost certainly underleveled to those I'm PvPing against if they aren't the same way, which many people with specific PvP builds are not.

Unless you're level ten or something you aren't that underleveled. Fully upgrading an item is less than 20k souls. That's nothing, even in the end game of a first run. People should try and keep in mind that the difference between one level and the next is all of one point in a stat. You probably aren't even in a different tier than you would have been otherwise.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can repair them, too. First time I used one was against the Ancient Dragon in my first run and when it broke I expected it to be gone for good. Nope! They're cheap to fix as well, the regular one is 3000 souls and the the one that saves you from being petrified is 6000.

Yup, yup. Knew that part. If you die and have to retrieve your souls and you slap one on, it'll prevent your bloodstain from being overwritten if you die again too. Between the measly two I picked up I don't think I've ever lost a stain.

Not to say I haven't died though. Oh how many times I've died.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 12, 2014

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Unless you're level ten or something you aren't that underleveled. Fully upgrading an item is less than 20k souls. That's nothing, even in the end game of a first run. People should try and keep in mind that the difference between one level and the next is all of one point in a stat. You probably aren't even in a different tier than you would have been otherwise.

Yeah but if you want to gently caress around with weapons, you're gonna have to buy or grind titanite. It's not that cheap or plentiful. If you grind it, you're gonna get quite a few souls in the process. And titanite chunks are somewhere around 6k a piece, with 6 per weapon. It's not that big, no, but it still feels like a bit of punishment that shouldn't be there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Spend a couple of hours as a bellcop and you'll have more titanite chunks than you could ever hope to use.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Average Bear posted:

Yeah but if you want to gently caress around with weapons, you're gonna have to buy or grind titanite. It's not that cheap or plentiful. If you grind it, you're gonna get quite a few souls in the process. And titanite chunks are somewhere around 6k a piece, with 6 per weapon. It's not that big, no, but it still feels like a bit of punishment that shouldn't be there.

Titanite chunks are showered on belltower bros. I literally had more of them than large titanite shards up until halfway through the game.

Again, not a game mechanic really laid on the table outright though like the small white soapstone, so I can see where you're coming from.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cowcaster posted:

Titanite chunks are showered on belltower bros. I literally had more of them than large titanite shards up until halfway through the game.

Again, not a game mechanic really laid on the table outright though like the small white soapstone, so I can see where you're coming from.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

As has been said, chunks are the easiest form of titanite to come by. Grinding out the others lets you put the souls you get into your levels so really I just don't get your complaint. Even a difference of 20 levels isn't that big by level 50 or so, and you'll be there by the time you can become a bell cop anyway. Like I said, you'd have to be trying to screw yourself over to actually do so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there any way to smash titanite into smaller bits like in DS1?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Is there any way to smash titanite into smaller bits like in DS1?

No. :(

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Past the halfway point titanite is never really a problem. Twinkling titanite is really annoying to get though, since pretty much every boss weapon or late game weapon/armour uses it, and you need 15 to max out any item, which without farming it is about a playthrough's worth.

Also, should my bonfires remain ascetic'ed in NG+? That's annoying.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
What has been done cannot be undone.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
:saddowns:

RIP me when I try to do Aldia's keep properly then, I tried to farm out the Monastery Scimitar, got to +10 and didn't even get it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The world stops scaling at +8 so you won't have to worry about it getting harder.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Do people cut their net after dying to bell tower dudes out of spite or just because they are quitting the game? A few times I've fought people in the belfry and they seem to play angrily or trying to do some elaborate obvious trick, and then after I kill them I don't get my titanite chunk and it says I lost connection to their game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I wasn't arachnophobic before I played Dark Souls but...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So I beat the game this weekend (as in, I got far enough that I could start NG+ now if I so choose), and I've been trying to PvP, but I just can't get it to a place where it feels satisfying. Maybe it's my lovely setup (tl;dr mundane weapons and hexes - god I need so much Twinkling Titanite), or because I'm just plain retarded. Maybe it's the fact that DS2's networking feels flaky as a box of corn flakes. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like doing anything that involves movement (dodging, parrying, even just attacking) is a complete crapshoot as to whether it'll actually work or not. Half the time I get backstabbed from several feet away by a guy in front of me, the rest of the time a swing that looks like it should connect doesn't, or the enemy goes into hitstun animation but takes no damage. Poise seems completely broken since any weapon seems capable of stunlocking you regardless of your poise.

Started out as a bluebro (before I beat the game), but that involved spending ten minutes spamming cracked blue eye orbs before it would find a world to invade, and then 99% of the time it took me to places I hadn't been yet, so I stopped that out of fear of spoilers. Tried the bell covenant, but it seems half the time you end up getting killed by other gray spirits rather than the host. Weird.

By the way, what does the Ring of Soul Protection actually do that the Ring of Life Protection doesn't? If you get petrified, does the ring just break and you get to continue fighting, or what?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The bells are serious business.

Don't join unless you want to brutally ruin people's day every 15 seconds after you spawn back into your own world.

Your job is to protect the bells. You protect the bells by spawning in and doing every horrific, sneaky bullshit thing you can.

If they ring the bell go hang yourself and join the filthy ratbros.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

A lot of bell dudes forget to actually stop them from progressing and expect the host to duel them honorably. Whenever I go in there the guy is either waiting for me on the roof after I've already opened the door, try ambush me in the hidey hole that I sprint past, or just are standing in the wrong place. Please get better bell buddies :(

One time I was summoned to a world where the host was on the bridge at Luna's entrance and was trying to make me go out there, so I just closed the door on his face and chameleoned on the next level up. When he finally finished being a baby I stabbed him in the back while he was fighting the second phantom that spawned.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

but it seems half the time you end up getting killed by other gray spirits rather than the host.

Literally not possible as there isn't friendly-fire.

If you're having lag issues, make sure you've disabled cross-region play.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

By the way, what does the Ring of Soul Protection actually do that the Ring of Life Protection doesn't? If you get petrified, does the ring just break and you get to continue fighting, or what?

Yes, that's why it says "nullifies death and petrification." :v:

AbortRetryFail posted:

A lot of bell dudes forget to actually stop them from progressing and expect the host to duel them honorably.

That or they'll get summoned in solo to a game where the host is trying to PvP rather than progress through the Belfry, and then rush in and fight the host on their own instead of waiting for backup. :argh:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The problem with the bell bros is that I think I outleveled them. I'm SM like 1.4-1.5 or something and I end up waiting several minutes between summons, and the guys I spawn in on are all way meaner than I am and probably on NG+ at that point.

Farm bell chunks early or you'll really regret it, is what I'm trying to say here. Almost all my weapons are stuck on chunks. :(

Also my best lag moment was being backstabbed in the face by a spear guy. Like I was still walking towards him and he did a forward thrust and then my guy was animation locked and being impaled in the air. I was like... OK!

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You can't interact with NG+ players in NG, they are probably just good at the game by that point.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Literally not possible as there isn't friendly-fire.

Are you sure? I have a distinct memory of invading in Belfry Sol, another gray spirit showing up, and damaging me with a lightning spear (to be fair I think he was aiming at the host and I was just standing in the way). Another time I was killed by a gray spirit as a bluebro, but maybe that doesn't count since we're not in the same covenant?

Yeah, 15 seconds between invasions is... not accurate in my experience, with cross-region play disabled. More like 20 minutes. The only place I've been able to reliably (5-10 minutes between invasions) fight people is in Grave of Saints. I practically poo poo Pharros Lockstones, which is about as useful as it sounds at this point in the game.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Don't join unless you want to brutally ruin people's day every 15 seconds after you spawn back into your own world.

Your job is to protect the bells. You protect the bells by spawning in and doing every horrific, sneaky bullshit thing you can.

If they ring the bell go hang yourself and join the filthy ratbros.

If they ring the bell, that's a perfect opportunity to backstab them :colbert:

mistaya posted:

The problem with the bell bros is that I think I outleveled them. I'm SM like 1.4-1.5 or something and I end up waiting several minutes between summons, and the guys I spawn in on are all way meaner than I am and probably on NG+ at that point.

Farm bell chunks early or you'll really regret it, is what I'm trying to say here. Almost all my weapons are stuck on chunks. :(

Also my best lag moment was being backstabbed in the face by a spear guy. Like I was still walking towards him and he did a forward thrust and then my guy was animation locked and being impaled in the air. I was like... OK!

You shouldn't be dealing with NG+ guys in NG (there's supposed to be a barrier there). You may want to hit up areas closer to the Belfries in question to try and see if that helps (I normally can't get down the bonfire ladder at Sinner's Rise without being summoned at 1.2m SM, whereas just dicking around I get summoned about once every two or three minutes and on occasion it's closer to every half hour or so).

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Manatee Cannon posted:

As has been said, chunks are the easiest form of titanite to come by. Grinding out the others lets you put the souls you get into your levels so really I just don't get your complaint. Even a difference of 20 levels isn't that big by level 50 or so, and you'll be there by the time you can become a bell cop anyway. Like I said, you'd have to be trying to screw yourself over to actually do so.

Theres a tiny caveat about stocking up on chunks early with belfry. You gotta do with it with low SM probably around 200-400k range. Or you'll hardly get any bites since belfry luna is a lowbie zone.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The worst thing that has happened to me as a bell bro is 2 white phantoms hiding in the alcove jump out from nowhere and I'm trapped between them and the host on the stairs :(

The best thing that has happened to me as a bell bro is being summoned behind a wounded host that just killed another bell bro, quickly switching to my last throwing knife and ending it while they are mid estus chug.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 12, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So am I correct in understanding that in order to fulfill all Navlaan's assassination contracts peacefully, I need to be ready to go into new game+? In order to light the last bonfire on Cale's map and get his stuff I need to kill Nashandra. It's kind of bizarre because every other contract item I've already gotten, so the second I pull that off I'll be able to clear all the other contracts in one fell swoop.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cowcaster posted:

So am I correct in understanding that in order to fulfill all Navlaan's assassination contracts peacefully, I need to be ready to go into new game+? In order to light the last bonfire on Cale's map and get his stuff I need to kill Nashandra. It's kind of bizarre because every other contract item I've already gotten, so the second I pull that off I'll be able to clear all the other contracts in one fell swoop.

You do not automatically go into NG+ once you beat the final boss.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

You have all of Drangleic

ALL. OF DRANGLEIC

to have magical fantasy adventures in.

All we ask of you is one simple thing: Do not go to the Belfry.

It is a very reasonable request.

But you.

You went into the Belfry.

How could you.

You monster.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

No, you don't start ng+ until you choose to. After the credit roll you're dumped back into Majula and start ng+ using the bonfire there.

Drakes posted:

Theres a tiny caveat about stocking up on chunks early with belfry. You gotta do with it with low SM probably around 200-400k range. Or you'll hardly get any bites since belfry luna is a lowbie zone.

Nah, you can still get pulled to Sol. It prefers to match you with the belfry you're close to but it can and does happen. Sol is just less common because there's no boss there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sorry, I was trying to phrase it unambiguously so now it makes me look like a pedant but when I said "ready for NG+" I meant having killed the final boss, not necessarily starting NG+. Sounds like that's the case though.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 12, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Daerc posted:

You shouldn't be dealing with NG+ guys in NG (there's supposed to be a barrier there). You may want to hit up areas closer to the Belfries in question to try and see if that helps (I normally can't get down the bonfire ladder at Sinner's Rise without being summoned at 1.2m SM, whereas just dicking around I get summoned about once every two or three minutes and on occasion it's closer to every half hour or so).

Well that's good to know. I mean I'm seeing people with sets I have no idea where they come from so they're probably farther than I am, and I don't claim to be good at PVP in this game (nor do I particularly enjoy it, see the aforementioned front-stabbed incident) I just want to level my gear.

I've sat at the bottom of the ladder at Luna and at the top of the ladder at Sol and I'm just not getting bites. Will the Bell ring summon you from anywhere in the world? I thought you had to be nearby. Maybe I should just leave it on while wandering.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In that case yeah, just beat the final boss and you're set.

mistaya posted:

Well that's good to know. I mean I'm seeing people with sets I have no idea where they come from so they're probably farther than I am, and I don't claim to be good at PVP in this game (nor do I particularly enjoy it, see the aforementioned front-stabbed incident) I just want to level my gear.

I've sat at the bottom of the ladder at Luna and at the top of the ladder at Sol and I'm just not getting bites. Will the Bell ring summon you from anywhere in the world? I thought you had to be nearby. Maybe I should just leave it on while wandering.

There are areas you can't be summoned but for the most part yes. So long as your covenant sign is glowing it can summon you to defend the bells.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I finally saw a Blue Sentinel yesterday and I felt like one of those trainspotters who finally see the ore-carrying train of their dreams, good lord. Three playthroughs and nothing even though I spend a good part of the game wearing the Sentinels ring.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Sorry, I was trying to phrase it unambiguously so now it makes me look like a pedant but when I said "ready for NG+" I meant having killed the final boss, not necessarily starting NG+. Sounds like that's the case though.

If you've seen Navlaan you're maybe an hour from the end if you don't die a lot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

If you've seen Navlaan you're maybe an hour from the end if you don't die a lot.

I just sprinted through the aerie and shrine ignoring everything under that impression. Now I feel bad.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Oh man. I just made the jump from PS3 to PC so I could start streaming, and the difference is like night and day. Running this on nax settings sure makes it purdy.

Are there any necessary patches like DSFix or anything like that? Ive only done a few test runs (~45 mins gameplay) and I'm having no issues whatsoever.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

There are some graphical mods but while most of them make pretty screenshots they look like poo poo most of the time when you are playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, and if you want slab farm them from the Drangleic statues wearing item discovery gear