Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yeah, that'd put me over the limit.

Not that it's very far off as things stand:

I need double rows for Ippo and Major to fit. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Japan is really good at April Fools day. All of those 41 lies are pretty funny. Anybody have an idea which is the true one? I'd guess the Hanekawa and Black Hanekawa commentary.

i300 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 3, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

i300 posted:

Japan is really good at April Fools day. All of those 41 lies are pretty funny. Anybody have an idea which is the true one? I'd guess the Hanekawa and Black Hanekawa commentary.
That was my guess too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is still the best one:

9. Senjogahara's request: Facial Expression Shitajiki, a set of 1000 sheets so you can bend your neck like them

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

I doubt you have room for the third Owarimonogatari novel either...

(One of the April Fools jokes was that the novel had over a hundred thousand pages. Kodansha actually made a replica of what a book that big would look like and used it in conjunction with the Animate in Akiba to advertise the novel.)

I didn't realized when this was posted, but apparently this is the "truth" from the april fools thing even though you said it right there at the bottom of your post. Somehow I feel let down, awesome as that is.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

ultimatemegax posted:

I doubt you have room for the third Owarimonogatari novel either...

(One of the April Fools jokes was that the novel had over a hundred thousand pages. Kodansha actually made a replica of what a book that big would look like and used it in conjunction with the Animate in Akiba to advertise the novel.)
that's cool and all but i was hoping one of the more interesting april fools jokes would be true

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't realized when this was posted, but apparently this is the "truth" from the april fools thing even though you said it right there at the bottom of your post. Somehow I feel let down, awesome as that is.
this basically

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

darkgray posted:

Yeah, that'd put me over the limit.

Not that it's very far off as things stand:

I need double rows for Ippo and Major to fit. :(

The day I have more more manga and light novels than I have actual books is the day I light myself on fire. We both have that same copy of the Illuminatus! book though :hfive:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to necro the thread, but I've almost finished Bakemonogatari. I can just move on to t Nisen and then Monogatari right? Kizu being listed in the "Watch it in broadcast order" initially threw me off :v: Kinda disappointed Kanbaru doesn't seem to get an arc in Mono though, she's great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's also Nekmonogatari (Black), but besides that yes.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 11, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There's also a couple of Bake- OVAs, right? The ones about Oshino disappearing?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Technically those episodes (Tsubasa Cat) are part of Bake.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I always forget that it's Tsubasa Cat and always remember it as that interlude I hadn't known existed until after I'd watched Nise- and Neko- Black.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Tsubasa Cat kinda felt like it just...ended, I dunno. It was interesting but still felt a bit anti-climatic.

I'm surprised how much shorter Tsukihi Phoenix is compared to Karen Bee, though I guess Bee covered what other characters were up to as well.

EDIT: That toothbrush scene was weird as hell.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

PrinnySquadron posted:

Tsubasa Cat kinda felt like it just...ended, I dunno. It was interesting but still felt a bit anti-climatic.

I'm surprised how much shorter Tsukihi Phoenix is compared to Karen Bee, though I guess Bee covered what other characters were up to as well.

EDIT: That toothbrush scene was weird as hell.

Tsubasa Cat, I think, is intended to feel that way, because it isn't actually the conclusion to that story. It comes up again in Season Two.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Ahh, that'd make sense. Kaiki was interesting, and has excellent taste in interior decorating :v:

I swear I recognise the voice actress for the supernatural hunter that wears heels in Tsukihi Phoenix, but I can't place it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PrinnySquadron posted:

Ahh, that'd make sense. Kaiki was interesting, and has excellent taste in interior decorating :v:

I swear I recognise the voice actress for the supernatural hunter that wears heels in Tsukihi Phoenix, but I can't place it.

Ryoko Shiraishi. She's known mainly for being Himeko in Sket Dance and she can do a pretty good Kansai accent.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PrinnySquadron posted:

The best of Kaiki is yet to come.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The best of Kaiki is yet to come.

He's just so dour :allears: He can't look happy eating at Mister Donut.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kaiki is the best character in the series by far, and has the best theme. :allears:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Terrible news: Hanamonogatari has been delayed from May 31st to Aug 16th, but at least they'll dump out all 5 episodes in one day. Production issues, apparently.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Goddamn it, Shinbo

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Coughing Hobo posted:

Tsubasa Cat, I think, is intended to feel that way, because it isn't actually the conclusion to that story. It comes up again in Season Two.

Tsubasa Cat has five episodes if you include the OVAs and seemed to me to have a pretty conclusive ending, at least to that part of the story. I'll never understand why they only included two episodes of that story arc in the official series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gravefront posted:

Goddamn it, Shinbo

They are already doing 2 shows this season. Far as I know, they aren't big enough for much more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gravefront posted:

Goddamn it, Shinbo

I guess a 3 month delay isn't so bad, we still know when it's coming out.

Unlike, uh, Kizu. Which was announced around the same time as Nise. I really want to know what's up with that.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Meh, I'd rather wait a little longer than have it come out as a glorified picture drama.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nulldevice posted:

Tsubasa Cat has five episodes if you include the OVAs and seemed to me to have a pretty conclusive ending, at least to that part of the story. I'll never understand why they only included two episodes of that story arc in the official series.

Well, the last two episodes of TV Bake were a Tsubasa episode followed by a Senjougahara ep, which isn't a bad way to end the TV broadcast. The two eps are character driven and set up future events so it's a decent enough stopping point.

But the real answer is probably that the other 3 eps weren't even close to being fit for broadcast at the time, what with SHAFT scheduling and all.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

darkgray posted:

Terrible news: Hanamonogatari has been delayed from May 31st to Aug 16th, but at least they'll dump out all 5 episodes in one day. Production issues, apparently.
they're going to release kizumonogatari first to surprise us

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Gravefront posted:

Goddamn it, Shinbo

Goddamn it Iwakami (Aniplex producer who assigned a 2-cour series, movie with new animation, completely new 2-cour series, and new 1-cour series to a studio with scheduling issues within 1 calendar year to release).

Nulldevice posted:

Tsubasa Cat was always intended to end broadcast with 12 episodes and have 3 OVAs. TV stations run series in 12/13 week blocks, so 15 episodes were unlikely to be run due to Aniplex scheduling those timeslots for another show the following season. Nise got away with 11 episodes due to Aniplex running Fate/Zero recaps in those slots for two weeks.

ultimatemegax fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 13, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ultimatemegax posted:

Tsubasa Cat was always intended to end broadcast with 12 episodes and have 3 OVAs. TV stations run series in 12/13 week blocks, so 15 episodes were unlikely to be run due to Aniplex scheduling those timeslots for another show the following season. Nise got away with 11 episodes due to Aniplex running Fate/Zero recaps in those slots for two weeks.

Not quite. It was always intended to have 12 episodes for broadcast, but they realized partway through pre-production that this wouldn't be enough to cover every arc without generous chopping (Hitagi Crab did in fact receive generous chopping before they made this decision). But since they'd already reserved 12 episodes, they decided to air the rest on the internet. They are not and have never been OVAs, since they were originally web-broadcast. They were touched up for DVD release just like every other episode, and presumably someone who only buys the DVDs would never notice the difference.

The only lingering effect this has had would be for the international streaming audience, since for whatever reason no one bothered getting a streaming license for the final three episodes. They're not supposed to be hard to find, or OVAs or anything. They're just the final 3 episodes of a 15 episode season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Crunchyroll only has up to 12, so imagine my surprise when I start Nise- and Oshino is gone.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nearly there!

So far I've only read the first story in Owarimonogatari, but it's going to be really interesting to see how they end up animating it. If they ever do. In some ways it's wildly different from the rest of the series, and in others it's hard to see it working visually. Very good, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is the fear that BD sales have dropped so much compared to Bake that they may not be able to get around to animating the rest? Possibly related to why we don't have Kizu yet. A lot of companies like to use anime adaptions to boost sales for the originals, so there could also be a situation where the book series finishes but too much time passes for there to be a "need" for an anime adaption (this is supposedly what happened with Haruhi and FMP).

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Nate RFB posted:

Is the fear that BD sales have dropped so much compared to Bake that they may not be able to get around to animating the rest? Possibly related to why we don't have Kizu yet. A lot of companies like to use anime adaptions to boost sales for the originals, so there could also be a situation where the book series finishes but too much time passes for there to be a "need" for an anime adaption (this is supposedly what happened with Haruhi and FMP).
Kizu likely hasn't been animated because Iwakami keeps creating projects to shove onto Shaft to milk the Bake/Madoka money train without giving them time to make a proper movie. While disc sales have dropped, they're still massively ahead of most shows (and by most, I mean only things like Attack on Titan and Love Live S2 are above them now when AoJ decided to make Second Season 12 volumes). There's utterly no fear the entire series won't be animated.

Haruhi/FMP are made by another company entirely who wants to sell novels/manga (Kadokawa, who also publishes video discs). The -monogatari anime series is chiefly financed by Aniplex, who wants to sell discs, not novels. Comparing the two companies is like apples/oranges.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I just finished reading Owarimonogatari vol 2 (of 3). If anyone's been wondering what happened to Koyomi during Nekomonogatari: Shiro (before he shows up so gallantly), this is the book where that story is told. As a novel, it felt a bit misplaced, coming in so late (and in the middle of what's supposedly the finale), and at once slow (not all that much happening) and rushed (need to answer all remaining questions). Might work out better animated, as usual. It's also partly disappointing because it follows two strong instalments in the series. Hopefully the last book will make up for it. Or the sequel to the last book!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Apparently Onimonogatari / Shinobu Time got an actual OP for the BD release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5cKa22911k

It's one of the more interesting ones they've done, though sadly it's not performed by Maaya Sakamoto.

E: Been nuked, dunno where else to find it at the moment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

This OP owns. I wish there were more OPs like that.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Wow, thats awesome. It's a drat shame Sakamoto isn't singing though. Her voice is stunning.

--

Todays the day. Looks like Crunchyroll are subbing Hana, but they don't have a ETA yet. This wait is killing me.

i300 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 16, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

So Hanamonogatari aired today, and it is as always the absolute and undeniable best. I love this series so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

So Hanamonogatari aired today, and it is as always the absolute and undeniable best. I love this series so much.

im pretty hyped for it. the wait for some good subs is going to be brutal

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread