Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Take Free Investiture, create an Antipope, appoint Demon Babby as the successor to your Antipope, have your Antipope killed, and then press and win Demon Babby's claim to the Papacy.

All hail Pope Insanity MXLV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Crap, I ran into this too in my Byzantine ironman save, which means I won't even be able to cheat it off. I guess that game is on hold until they patch that bug.

This is really annoying and makes the Roman Restoration achievements impossible to get. Darkrenown, is it possible to make it something like if someone only has a titular title and no actual holdings that their vassals go independent?

I'm not entirely sure why the Mayors/Barons in Rome sometimes stay as the Pope's vassals even after pressing a county claim.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

DrSunshine posted:

All hail Pope Insanity MXLV

Hmm, tempting, but the correct answer is Pope Zladko DCLXVI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGBHfXPqbgI

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Bold Robot posted:

Man, getting syphilis as a female ruler is loving harsh. -30 attraction opinion for like 90% of my vassals is a killer.

I'm on my first playthough trying to reunite the roman empire. Sicily had the last of what I needed to do so, but de-jure claims would have taken 90 years of conquest once truces were factored in so I just married into the queen's dynasty.

It turns out she had spyhillis and cheated on me with a bishop. After killing my bastard step-son she finally had a son, and he turned out to be a real winner. My only son and heir is now a cruel, syphillitc homosexual. :negative:

Now unless I can put and end to all my fighting vassals, change the succession laws, and have my lovely son killed I may as well kiss the roman empire goodbye.

gently caress the Aztecs :colbert:

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Hmmm weird I just got the black widow achievement as a male...

Is there anyway to cut back on religious uprisings? I get them constantly and expected it as a Sunni owning half of western Europe would be. I created some kings but they seem to be more worried about expanding then fighting rebels... I'm converting counties as fast as I can, hitting all the dukes first and important counties. As soon as I go to war I get 2 uprisings and they constantly reinforce, I have to drag my retinues back and forth to get all of them.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

This is really annoying and makes the Roman Restoration achievements impossible to get. Darkrenown, is it possible to make it something like if someone only has a titular title and no actual holdings that their vassals go independent?

I'm not entirely sure why the Mayors/Barons in Rome sometimes stay as the Pope's vassals even after pressing a county claim.

One way to handle it is to pause the game, and then assassinate the rulers and heirs of the pope-controlled baronies in Rome. Once you succeed, declare war on the pope (he'll inherit) before you unpause. He won't be able to give the title away before you have a war going to take it from him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I regret nothingsomethings!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

I think you dodged a bullet there. Crying at the thought of death? He may as well have died on his knees choking on the dick in his mouth. No true Viking, he.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Heh, I love how the highest praise your character could give his son was 'he would've made a great courtier'. Jedit's right; you're better off without him!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
This game keeps on surprising me: apparently when you form Britannia as Welsh, the empire's name changes to Prydain. That was a nice touch.

Also, reformed Norse with Welsh culture is scary: I've got 12K longbow retinues and I haven't had to raise my own or my vassals' levies once since I started making longbow retinues. I just took East Francia in a Great Holy War with no help from my fellow Norse or my vassals.

Other highlights include the first time I've seen the AI form the HRE, followed immediately by the Emperor going Fraticelli. The Karling blob has been broken up nicely: they only hold Aquitane and Lotharingia at this point. The Catholic religion's MA must be down the drain, since I hold three of their holy sites (I took Rome just because I could) and like half of the Catholic territories are either under my control or in Fraticelli HRE.

Next item on the agenda: paint the rest of Europe in British colors.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A nice trick with pagan characters: if you raid a county completely, their levies drop in all it's holdings to 0, which makes waging a conquest war against it really easy. It may take you 20% longer, but you get way more money that way.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Major Isoor posted:

Also, speaking of the Norse, have they been fixed yet? Since I heard here that they became a bit broken as of the RoI update, and I'm weighing up having either a Norse game (or a Finnish game possibly, if only the Norse are broken) or an Italian one.

I wasn't aware the Norse were ever broken recently, what do you mean?

WilliamAnderson posted:

I have been bugging the CK2 team about this since RoI came out, they know about it, but they have had a bunch of other stuff to fix :sigh: I think you can get around it if you have a de jure claim though, so if you take Italy then use that to take Rome stuff should work.

In other news, I was playing yesterday and my King's carriage got diverted and ambushed by "highwaymen". Before accepting the death event I checked the plot screen, it turned out my brother had a plot going to kill me with plenty of backers... I really should have noticed that earlier... My last act was to imprison and execute him though :fuckoff:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Question. How do things work if, as the emperor of a place, I change the gender succession laws to Absolute Cognatic? Can I just start appointing women in posts below me, or will the kingdoms and whatnot probably still having Agnatic-Cognatic prevent that, even though I changed the empire's laws? The latter seems more likely, unfortunately, and seems like it would be a mess to fix in-game, at least without revoking/destroying a lot of titles.

Edit: Also how do I edit the number of holdings in a province? I'm messing with a mod thing and I need to be able to do that.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 12, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Darkrenown posted:

I think you can get around it if you have a de jure claim though, so if you take Italy then use that to take Rome stuff should work.

Do you mean that if you attain a de jure claim you can use that to take the individual holdings, or do you mean I should originally have taken the county with a de jure claim?

Cacto posted:

One way to handle it is to pause the game, and then assassinate the rulers and heirs of the pope-controlled baronies in Rome. Once you succeed, declare war on the pope (he'll inherit) before you unpause. He won't be able to give the title away before you have a war going to take it from him.

I'll probably end up trying this though. I'm not literally richer than the pope, but I'm not far off.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ratpick posted:

Also, reformed Norse with Welsh culture is scary: I've got 12K longbow retinues and I haven't had to raise my own or my vassals' levies once since I started making longbow retinues. I just took East Francia in a Great Holy War with no help from my fellow Norse or my vassals.

I've been banging the Welsh + Norse Pagan drum for a long while, it's a great combo. You get cheap retinues, Tanistry even while not reformed, and the Massive Volley combat tactic is just amazing. Literally the only downside is that running 100% longbows means you run the risk of getting the Charge on Undefended Flank tactic used against you.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Playing as that Norse Brittany character would be a ton of fun, if it weren't for 10,000 man revolts every decade. Lost another game as his son trying to keep it together while 10,000 Catholics gathered to storm my keeps. :smith:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Re: Landless and diplomatic immunity Pope chat

So I took the Papacy's remaining holdings in Latium by cheating. Someone mentioned that they should eventually establish a new Vatican somehwhere else and give me trouble, but that hasn't happened. Even after the old Pope died. I meant to just work around a bug, not cheat by completely neutering Catholics simply by fabricating a claim on Latium.

Something similar happened with the Republic of Pisa, too. I was able to conquer all of it legitimately, but it still exists. They have no holdings, vassals, or trade posts, but they exist. It's not really an issue since they are just another glorified republic, but it's funny there's some guy sitting somewhere in Pisa claiming to be this great merchant king. With zero income.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^Edit: The Pope could exist as a landless character since release of CK2. Eventually one of the Catholic lords will give him a temple holding to get piety.

It's rare, but sometimes a doge can retain his title when his republic loses all lands. But it usually ends after the doge dies, that is the landless republic will not be inherited.

SeaTard posted:

I've been banging the Welsh + Norse Pagan drum for a long while, it's a great combo. You get cheap retinues, Tanistry even while not reformed, and the Massive Volley combat tactic is just amazing. Literally the only downside is that running 100% longbows means you run the risk of getting the Charge on Undefended Flank tactic used against you.

And remember that you get +50% retinue cap for being unreformed Norse Pagan.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 12, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roland Jones posted:

Question. How do things work if, as the emperor of a place, I change the gender succession laws to Absolute Cognatic? Can I just start appointing women in posts below me, or will the kingdoms and whatnot probably still having Agnatic-Cognatic prevent that, even though I changed the empire's laws? The latter seems more likely, unfortunately, and seems like it would be a mess to fix in-game, at least without revoking/destroying a lot of titles.

I did that: yes you can appoint any titles to woman after changing your empire to absolute cognatic. Once the title belongs to you, it seems like they are subject to the laws of your highest title. I can even appoint woman as queens.

But you got to be careful about your own kingdom titles: if you dont change each one to absolute-cognatic, you might lose then on sucession (if your daughter is the heir of the empire but a kingdom title you got is not absolute-cognatic, it will go to your first son).

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 12, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I wasn't aware the Norse were ever broken recently, what do you mean?

Hm OK, judging by your response this is either old news that's been fixed, or I'm remembering wrong. (either way's good, heh) Since weren't the Norse (or pagans in general?) a bit bugged around the time RoI hit? It's quite possible this was fixed shortly after, but I haven't really played CK2 much since around then (let alone as the Norse) so I could either be way off the mark or it could've been fixed since then. Sorry I don't recall the specifics (and aren't looking back through the pages to find them: I'm on my phone in the middle of the night, so it's annoying enough just writing), since I didn't really pay it much attention at the time, as I'd just started my Georgian game.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Woah! Just noticed this mod. Looks like it's going to be pretty awesome!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?772971-When-the-World-Stopped-Making-Sense-A-480-Migrational-Period-Mod

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Major Isoor posted:

Hm OK, judging by your response this is either old news that's been fixed, or I'm remembering wrong. (either way's good, heh) Since weren't the Norse (or pagans in general?) a bit bugged around the time RoI hit? It's quite possible this was fixed shortly after, but I haven't really played CK2 much since around then (let alone as the Norse) so I could either be way off the mark or it could've been fixed since then. Sorry I don't recall the specifics (and aren't looking back through the pages to find them: I'm on my phone in the middle of the night, so it's annoying enough just writing), since I didn't really pay it much attention at the time, as I'd just started my Georgian game.

The player could not reform pagan religions except Norse Pagans. They were never broken. But even non-Norse pagans have been fixed.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Torrannor posted:

The player could not reform pagan religions except Norse Pagans. They were never broken. But even non-Norse pagans have been fixed.

Ah, right yes, that's what I was thinking of. Sorry; I thought the Norse were affected by that, too. :shobon: Anyway, by the sounds of it I might be due for another pagan game!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jedit posted:

I think you dodged a bullet there. Crying at the thought of death? He may as well have died on his knees choking on the dick in his mouth. No true Viking, he.

Who wants to die at a BLOT?! That's not Viking at all. You're damming him to Helheim rather than Valhalla.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hamburger Test posted:

Do you mean that if you attain a de jure claim you can use that to take the individual holdings, or do you mean I should originally have taken the county with a de jure claim?

The latter, I have gotten all the pope's holdings when using a de jure claim before.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Cacto posted:

Confirming that this works, just make sure to grab cities first and you may have to check that the castles aren't inherited into another realm. If he only has cities left, you may be out of luck.

Also since they're barons it's not really expensive at all.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Major Isoor posted:

Heh, I love how the highest praise your character could give his son was 'he would've made a great courtier'. Jedit's right; you're better off without him!
It's another little bug. It's supposed to be your own title there, since he would have been a successor, but instead it's using the dead kid's title.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ratpick posted:

This game keeps on surprising me: apparently when you form Britannia as Welsh, the empire's name changes to Prydain. That was a nice touch.

Other highlights include the first time I've seen the AI form the HRE, followed immediately by the Emperor going Fraticelli. The Karling blob has been broken up nicely: they only hold Aquitane and Lotharingia at this point. The Catholic religion's MA must be down the drain, since I hold three of their holy sites (I took Rome just because I could) and like half of the Catholic territories are either under my control or in Fraticelli HRE.

Next item on the agenda: paint the rest of Europe in British colors.

Wait what

Are you running any mods because if not, that's new, and that's awesome. When I formed Welsh Britannia it did no such thing :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It's the third time I've started as Ivan the Boneless, trying to grab as much land as possible. I've managed to out-siege Whiteshirt in all but one of his target provinces, yet when he sues for peace the Jarldom of Jorvick get's almost everything, leaving me only the Duchy of Lothian.

But I swear in one of my tries he didn't get the County of Northumberland, which I was occupying (only the castle, I think). Can anyone tell me what exactly can I get from this starting war? Does it depend on who sues for peace first?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fat Samurai posted:

It's the third time I've started as Ivan the Boneless, trying to grab as much land as possible. I've managed to out-siege Whiteshirt in all but one of his target provinces, yet when he sues for peace the Jarldom of Jorvick get's almost everything, leaving me only the Duchy of Lothian.

But I swear in one of my tries he didn't get the County of Northumberland, which I was occupying (only the castle, I think). Can anyone tell me what exactly can I get from this starting war? Does it depend on who sues for peace first?

That's because Ivar isn't waging war for Jorvik or Northumbria; your wars are for East Angalia and Lothian! It doesn't depend on who sues for peace first.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

nutranurse posted:

That's because Ivar isn't waging war for Jorvik or Northumbria; your wars are for East Angalia and Lothian!

Yes, I know, but I've seen Jorvik missing one of the countries I was occupying before. I was wondering if there was a way to repeat that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Looking at the dynasty map for the first time around 1040 I noticed a large blob of my Irish dynasty around Bulgaria. Looking closer it was a distant relative who was head of the Templars! He's married but celibate so there won't be any kids.

I don't know how the Templars grabbed such a big chunk of Europe but I need to start a holy war while I have him as an ally. Could be entertaining if a huge Templar stack shows up to crush my enemy.

Unfortunately Cnut the Ill Ruler is Catholic and just took most of England. He has 11000 excess event troops from his conquest so I'm going to get squished if I draw his attention.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I just started an Ivar game last night where I got both Lothian and the northern two counties of Northumbria. Had them completely sieged and when Aella surrended to Whiteshirt I got everything I was occupying.

Edit- though I was using HIP, don't know if it works differently to vanilla with this sort of thing.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Dick Trauma posted:

Looking at the dynasty map for the first time around 1040 I noticed a large blob of my Irish dynasty around Bulgaria. Looking closer it was a distant relative who was head of the Templars! He's married but celibate so there won't be any kids.

I don't know how the Templars grabbed such a big chunk of Europe but I need to start a holy war while I have him as an ally. Could be entertaining if a huge Templar stack shows up to crush my enemy.

Unfortunately Cnut the Ill Ruler is Catholic and just took most of England. He has 11000 excess event troops from his conquest so I'm going to get squished if I draw his attention.

Yeah. Sometimes holy orders go nuts and expand like crazy by participating in crusades. I've often had holy orders holding OP Greece. :(

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Holy orders being landed and spinning out of control is less ahistorical than people think, too. Hell, historically they'd do their own thing politically and wouldn't balk at fighting fellow Catholics. The Teutonic Knights, once they grabbed a chunk of Prussia, expanded a whole lot and spent a couple of centuries as a significant regional power, fighting Poland and Lithuania, often simultaneously, with the justification of "well they're not very good Catholics".

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Giving a vassal Holy Order a good Kingdom in the Middle East is also an incredibly easy way to passively increase your holdings there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The Damien's baby plot has taken a turn for the weird:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Oh hell yes. :black101:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

ulmont posted:

The Damien's baby plot has taken a turn for the weird:

May Allah guide us, for the night is dark and full of terrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

In other news, I was playing yesterday and my King's carriage got diverted and ambushed by "highwaymen". Before accepting the death event I checked the plot screen, it turned out my brother had a plot going to kill me with plenty of backers... I really should have noticed that earlier... My last act was to imprison and execute him though :fuckoff:

Imagine the scene. You're trundling along in your carriage when- oh no!- bandits. You know how this one goes from the time you were a Polish count in a previous life, so you make like a man and fling yourself on their blades. As the pain explodes in your chest, you cast your mind back, frantic- who could be responsible for this?! Suddenly it hits you- a footnote in your spymaster's last monthly report: your brother and much of the high nobility were conspiring to kill you. You'd hardly noticed- still hungover from the night before. Quickly, you reach out to your marshal with your psychic powers and command him to imprison and execute your treacherous sibling. He immediately leaps into action, teleporting through walls into the toilet, where he surprises your brother on the job. The cuffs are on and the head is off before your body hits the ground.

You die smiling- revenge is sweet.

• Locked thread