Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Does killing people through the rat king covenant count as sinning? Or does Shalquoir still mention "catalogue of sin" even if you don't actually have any sins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vanderdeath posted:

Why are those puppet things so protective of the belltowers? Is it for the possibility of a glorious, trespasser-free future; a Bell Époque, if you will?

They were created solely to protect the Bells, and therefore they take their job very seriously.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Well I'm about ready to finally start NG+. I murdered all the NPCs and in the process discovered the weird worn writing opposite of the death counter in majula, also accidentally killed grandhal before getting climax so whoops on that.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
If you have a logitech mouse with setpoint software, you can bind mouse keys 4/5 to keystroke combinations that trigger leap attack and/or guard break. Then you set the key bindings in-game so that the assigned keystroke combinations result in guard break and/or leap attack. That way you can do them with the press of a single mouse button.

I personally use:

left ctrl + w = mouse key 4. with left ctrl bound in-game to right-hand strong attack
left alt + w = mouse key 5. with left alt bound in-game to right-hand weak attack.
right mouse button = lock target
left mouse button = nothing
mouse wheel up/down to in-game defaults (item change/spell change)
tab = change left hand weapon
R = change right hand weapon
shift = left-hand attack (usually my shield hand for blocking)
E = left-hand strong attack (for parry)
Q = use item

This is in response to the guy earlier who struggled with kb+mouse.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 12, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Eventually, all those who would ring the bell will have been killed, and you will be the only one left.

At that time, you know what you must do.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Did anyone notice the giant fuckoff flying creature the first time you walk past the sinner's rise bonfire? What the hell is that all about? Is that a cut boss?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Operant posted:

Did anyone notice the giant fuckoff flying creature the first time you walk past the sinner's rise bonfire? What the hell is that all about? Is that a cut boss?

It's one of the gargoyles from Belfry Luna actually :haw:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Does killing people through the rat king covenant count as sinning? Or does Shalquoir still mention "catalogue of sin" even if you don't actually have any sins?

Rat King does not give sin.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BurritoJustice posted:

Am I meant to be getting invaded by bell Bros in the tower when I am in the covenant and wearing the ring? I though the constant invasions would stop once I joined :negative:

Also has anyone got any tips for the gargoyles? I can never get any hits off as I am instantly ganked by the other gargoyles when I get one into a vulnerable position.

Once you ring the bell, just make a beeline for the door (killing NPCs along the way) so you hopefully get through before you get invaded.

The gargoyles share a common health pool, there's 5 gargoyles that activate based on a % of damage done. The way it works out, one activates once another gets low, so if you focus on one at a time you won't have to fight more than 3 at a time, and one of those 3 will be almost dead. Hopefully you can finish it off before the third gets close enough to join the fight. I like to keep them near the entrance to the boss arena so it takes them longer to travel.

Also, as usual, miracles trivialize this boss fight, especially since they're weak to lightning. Nothing wrong with summoning help as well, most people put their signs right on the entrance bridge to bellfry luna.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I think it's because rat king "invasions" are almost entirely risk-free on the part of the invaded... I don't know what happens if you get petrified by a rat, but just getting killed by the rat covenanter just puts you right back where you were, not much worse for wear, sans a little durability loss.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BurritoJustice posted:

Am I meant to be getting invaded by bell Bros in the tower when I am in the covenant and wearing the ring? I though the constant invasions would stop once I joined :negative:

Also has anyone got any tips for the gargoyles? I can never get any hits off as I am instantly ganked by the other gargoyles when I get one into a vulnerable position.

The one on your left is always the first to jump, you can usually get a free hit before he attacks. The thing to remember is not to get intimidated by their numbers, keep them all in sight, or on the same side and they just get in each other's way. Like fighting Ruins S bait them into attacking simultaneously. If you have ranged weapons try using them when they are on low health. If you are a fighter, DEX is especially tough. Use infused weapons like lightning.

You're probably gonna die countless times, but at some point their attacks will just click and you'll get the timing down. The tricky one is where they jump to your flanks and then do a stab because you're likely to want to dodge right away, but that's how they get you on the follow up

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 12, 2014

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

NuttO posted:

I've been using the Logitech F310, and for the most part it's fine. There has been one big problem for me, though: I can't reliably perform a guard break or a jumping R2. Either it's a problem with the deadzone on the sticks (it's quite large), or it's unique to my controller. I was still able to get through the game just fine, though. I didn't really have much need for the guard break outside of some early enemies.

This seems to be a recurring problem with the F310, after I posted I did some research on the steam boards and a lot of people are having issues with this and are unable to perform guard break and jumping attack moves. There seems to be some workarounds like resetting the deadzones, but I'm not sure I want to that since it's not guaranteed that the fix will not get me VAC banned. I used the kick and the jump attack a lot in DS1, so it's not something I want missing in my game.

I'll try to get someone to send me a wireless reciever for the 360 pads I guess.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

Killing Grey phantoms (or rat cov members as a grey phantom) will not incur sin. Same for Belfry.

Mister Blueberry posted:

This seems to be a recurring problem with the F310, after I posted I did some research on the steam boards and a lot of people are having issues with this and are unable to perform guard break and jumping attack moves. There seems to be some workarounds like resetting the deadzones, but I'm not sure I want to that since it's not guaranteed that the fix will not get me VAC banned. I used the kick and the jump attack a lot in DS1, so it's not something I want missing in my game.

It won't. Driver calibration is something wholly unrelated to modifying the game code in memory or injecting strange DLLs. Something like the Logitech 'Clear Calibration Utility' or the Logitech Profiler Software are safe. Whatever changes you make to the driver are completely abstracted from the game. The game only sees the Dinput/Xinput data it receives from the driver. Whatever happens between physical controller and the driver is basically invisible to the game.

EDIT: If it helps you think about it, if it wasn't safe then simply updating your controller hardware drivers would trigger a VAC ban. Its sort of the same thing at the end of the day.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 12, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
EDIT: double post :downs:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

So I went Cleric, ran to Hide's, killed Dragonrider, ran to Sunbro Covenant killing as few enemies as possible, and then ran Dragonrider 30 times in a row. Then went on to Belfry covenant stacking faith to wield Sunlight Spear.

One shot kills everywhere.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

So I put like 12 hours into this game today. What the gently caress happened. Time entered some sort of death-induced vacuum. But my god is my hexer so fun to play.

This game has some of the best visuals and aesthetics ever. Some of the zones are just so amazing looking.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Atoramos posted:

So I went Cleric, ran to Hide's, killed Dragonrider, ran to Sunbro Covenant killing as few enemies as possible, and then ran Dragonrider 30 times in a row. Then went on to Belfry covenant stacking faith to wield Sunlight Spear.

One shot kills everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBwdIn-AzY&t=121s

Sunlight Spear in a nutshell.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

In the double Dragonrider fight in Drangleic I one-shotted the archer on the ledge with a single Sunlight Spear. For a moment, I knew what it was like to be Lord Gwyn. :getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

West Ham Sandwich posted:

So I put like 12 hours into this game today. What the gently caress happened. Time entered some sort of death-induced vacuum. But my god is my hexer so fun to play.

This game has some of the best visuals and aesthetics ever. Some of the zones are just so amazing looking.

What kind of distribution are you going for with your stats? I just killed Dragonrider and have no idea WTF I'm doing.

Also are his boss weapons worth having, or should I just enjoy the 6K souls from his stone? This is for my spellcaster dude.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I went with one of the Dragonrider items when my character was still into strength. It wasn't the core of my strategy by any means, but nice to have. It's going to be a while before you can get it though, and none of the Dragonrider items are sorcery items.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I've been having an insanely good time with the game, but adding to the earlier Shrine of Amana discussion, that's where it came to a screeching halt. It's like this area had been outsourced to some shovelware designers, it has everything annoying about the game packed into one tightly knit packet of bullshit. No, it's not too hard if you take your time, it's just a giant slog.

Tons of ranged enemies with homing attacks + hidden frogmen (I know you can spot them if you keep scanning the water every step, but still) + hippo monsters that have a million HP and seem to glitch out and teleport you into their one-hit-kill attack even if you're miles away from it + water that slows you down to a crawl. Good times. I have a crossbow that trivializes all of those things but ranged combat in the game is just so boring.

I still absolutely adore the game, but gently caress that area sideways. At least the casters drop you twinkling titanite once every thousand years as a consolation prize.

EDIT: Also, I crashed in the Shrine and now seem to get a "Downloaded content present when you last saved can't be found. Upon loading the game some of your items will be discarded"-error. What the hell? Is there even DLC for the game out yet? I didn't know I had any.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 12, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dropbear posted:

I've been having an insanely good time with the game, but adding to the earlier Shrine of Amana discussion, that's where it came to a screeching halt. It's like this area had been outsourced to some shovelware designers, it has everything annoying about the game packed into one tightly knit packet of bullshit. No, it's not too hard if you take your time, it's just a giant slog.

Tons of ranged enemies with homing attacks + hidden frogmen (I know you can spot them if you keep scanning the water every step, but still) + hippo monsters that have a million HP and seem to glitch out and teleport you into their one-hit-kill attack even if you're miles away from it + water that slows you down to a crawl. Good times. I have a crossbow that trivializes all of those things but ranged combat in the game is just so boring.

I still absolutely adore the game, but gently caress that area sideways. At least the casters drop you twinkling titanite once every thousand years as a consolation prize.

You can blitz the area in 10 minutes or less if you actually know what you're doing. Quit being a baby and roll directly into and through their homing soul arrows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How many NPC's need to be at Majula to get the soul vessel from Saulden? I've only got 1 soul vessel so far and I'm thinking about moving to a str/faith build but since I'm pretty much a pure spell caster now I'd like the opportunity to go back if it proves to be a bit poo poo/slow to start. How exactly would I allocate my stats too if I tried this. I'm at SL 111 at the minute and it seems that I'd need to increase quite a lot of different stats.

I'm currently running 50 ATN/46 INT/22 FTH as my main stats with a couple elsewhere like in STR so I can use a shield

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can blitz the area in 10 minutes or less if you actually know what you're doing. Quit being a baby and roll directly into and through their homing soul arrows.

When there's one caster, sure! When there's three that agro you at once + a frogman I can't, I'll run out of stamina and get bombed to death. Maybe if I had boosted more stam & HP to tank that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dropbear posted:

There's a grand total of one hippo monster, and there's no reason anybody just can't grab a bow/crossbow/binoculars and snipe the casters from a distance, they don't do much damage so you can face tank a few hits. The frogmen have glowies around them for half the level, too, and they die easy enough.

I hate the shrine of anime too, but not for the enemy selection. It's too dark and you can't see where you're walking, focusing your camera on the ground and watching every step is a huge pain in the rear end and is not fun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So build talk. After farming up some items (I managed to wipe out everything in the door of pharros and the gyrm helmet never dropped...) I've fallen in love with the lightning spear so I think I might go faith/str instead of int/str like initially planned. But I still kinda want to use the moonlight great sword because it looks rad. Is there any way to make miracles run off of int, or are there some really cool looking melee weapons that scale from faith?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dropbear posted:

When there's one caster, sure! When there's three that agro you at once + a frogman I can't, I'll run out of stamina and get bombed to death. Maybe if I had boosted more stam & HP to tank that.

They don't even fire that fast and they're quite spaced out so there is no excuse for this being an undue strain on your Stamina unless your Endurance is sub-10 and you're at 69.9% equip load. What's more, the lurkers pretty much don't aggro unless you get right up in their grill.

What I'm telling you is you've hosed up son. It's hard I know, to accept blame.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
lol crybabies need to git gud amirite?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shrine is not bad if you can range the casters. Swamp monsters are whatever because they dont track you well. The dragon priests can be bad in packs, even alone, but like everything else: git gud

Nuebot posted:

So build talk. After farming up some items (I managed to wipe out everything in the door of pharros and the gyrm helmet never dropped...) I've fallen in love with the lightning spear so I think I might go faith/str instead of int/str like initially planned. But I still kinda want to use the moonlight great sword because it looks rad. Is there any way to make miracles run off of int, or are there some really cool looking melee weapons that scale from faith?

Don't know about the other questions but Int and Faith are seperate. Hexes supposedly scale based on the lower of the two though iirc?

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 12, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Captain Oblivious posted:

They don't even fire that fast and they're quite spaced out so there is no excuse for this being an undue strain on your Stamina unless your Endurance is sub-10 and you're at 69.9% equip load. What's more, the lurkers pretty much don't aggro unless you get right up in their grill.

Well, I'm not sure if my game's broken then or what, but for me they do fire pretty drat fast (second bolt is coming way before the first has landed) and near the fog door I get three agroed at once + a frogman if I try meleeing any of them. I have 22 endurance and I did actually run out of stamina pretty drat quick if I tried dodging those.

And I know, I can just crossbow them from afar, but like I said on the first post just sniping things with the horrible ranged system is annoying and boring. Again, I'm not saying I can't get through the area, I'm saying I didn't enjoy it at all which is a huge difference to the rest of the game that I absolutely love. Y'all seem pretty touchy about anyone criticizing the game here!

EDIT: Also, after the fog door I just agroed 3 casters + a frogman + a dark spirit casting some magic spear-thing at once. I'm not sure what version of the game you "there's only one at a time"-people are playing, but I want it too.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 12, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dropbear posted:

Well, I'm not sure if my game's broken then or what, but for me they do fire pretty drat fast (second bolt is coming way before the first has landed) and near the fog door I get three agroed at once + a frogman if I try meleeing any of them. I have 22 endurance and I did actually run out of stamina pretty drat quick if I tried dodging those.

And I know, I can just crossbow them from afar, but like I said on the first post just sniping things with the horrible ranged system is annoying and boring. Again, I'm not saying I can't get through the area, I'm saying I didn't enjoy it at all which is a huge difference to the rest of the game that I absolutely love. Y'all seem pretty touchy about anyone criticizing the game here!

Or it could have to do with the fact that there's been an unbelievable amount of whining about Shrine of Amana and it's super old in the context of how goddamn easy and quick that area is if you have a modicum of talent with the B button.

It's almost like we've done this before

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Right about now, the chunk soul brother!

Also well played Dark Souls developers for having the Bell Keeper outfit still being midget sized so it doesn't fit, legitimately made me laugh.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I remember playing Shrine of Amana on console before they nerfed it. Reduced the tracking on the arrows and the bad guy lock on range. Took out the fog and the poison water. Filled in most of the pits and got rid of that stupid jump puzzle with the ice platforms. Back when the game was hard.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
First time fighting Covetous that he has ever done this attack (out of let's say 10 or so fights). He did it 2x in this fight.

The vomit balls have bones in them. :magical:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

First time fighting Covetous that he has ever done this attack (out of let's say 10 or so fights). He did it 2x in this fight.

Had a similar experience earlier with the Brightstone spiders, hours and hours of play and the first time they've ever webbed me today, creeped me out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I gotta agree that Shrine of Amana is bullshit. Not because it's difficult, because it's not really any worse than the areas before or after, but because it contains so much annoying bullshit that you have to deal with. Half-hidden enemies (which also make targeting what you want more annoying), water that slows you to a crawl, dodging shots, trying to keep your torch lit... every step through that hellhole is an exercise in frustration. I didn't enjoy working my through that place... it just felt like an annoying slog.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Shrine of amana is a little annoying but it's short. If you're melee just carry a bow. On my melee dude i'd picked up a lightning shortbow from god knows where and some fire arrows and the casters still went down in a couple of headshots while I was out of their range.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Shrine of Amana is the most strikingly beautiful video game area that I've ever blood-eye screamed and cursed and yelled inarticulately the entire way through.

It was quite exhilirating.

turtlecrunch posted:

Ahahaha, that's a nice touch. Dark Souls. :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

david... posted:

Had a similar experience earlier with the Brightstone spiders, hours and hours of play and the first time they've ever webbed me today, creeped me out.

Ive never seen them do it outside Freja but Goddamn is Freja the worst place for them to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I gotta agree that Shrine of Amana is bullshit. Not because it's difficult, because it's not really any worse than the areas before or after, but because it contains so much annoying bullshit that you have to deal with. Half-hidden enemies (which also make targeting what you want more annoying), water that slows you to a crawl, dodging shots, trying to keep your torch lit... every step through that hellhole is an exercise in frustration. I didn't enjoy working my through that place... it just felt like an annoying slog.

Yeah, this is basically what I mean. Seems like it's designed around ranged combat, and at least for me ranged combat is a boring slog with terrible controls in this game. The boss being extremely weak to any form of ranged damage seems to reinforce this.

Not a big deal, I'm through that now and have no intention of stepping foot in that mess again, but drat what a misstep in an otherwise enjoyable game.