Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Off topic from the OR/AS discussion, but I have to wonder: Who in the hell thought the Pal Park was a decent idea? Only 6 pokemon per day, and to actually get them, you have to faff about in a knockoff safari zone for 5 minutes. :argh: This is not quality gameplay, Gamefreak! (I really pity those poor sods who completed the pokedex in Gen 3 and had to transfer it all over.)

Austrian mook posted:

Also, what role do you think Wallace will play? Is Juan the leader of the 8th gym, like in Emerald? Having a water type be the final battle led to a fight that was really easy if you had a strong grass or electric type pokemon.

I seriously hope they have Steven as champ and leave Wallace as the 8th gym. Though, speaking of the changes in Emerald, I wonder which ones will stick, and which won't? Will Aqua/Magma be present in both versions, like Emerald, or will the crazy eco-terrorists be really out of place again? (Looking at you, Aqua on Mt Chimney and Magma in Lilycove base.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaziken386 posted:

I seriously hope they have Steven as champ and leave Wallace as the 8th gym. Though, speaking of the changes in Emerald, I wonder which ones will stick, and which won't? Will Aqua/Magma be present in both versions, like Emerald, or will the crazy eco-terrorists be really out of place again? (Looking at you, Aqua on Mt Chimney and Magma in Lilycove base.)

Cynthia still needs to show up in some fashion, right? Imagine having a double battle against her and Steven in the postgame. :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd rather have neither if they're gonna stick with the same pokemon for the fight. They really need to change up their parties to not be so heavily one type. Three steel types for Steven and an all water champion with Wallace. Even the XY champion is more of a threat than that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

Cynthia still needs to show up in some fashion, right? Imagine having a double battle against her and Steven in the postgame. :allears:

Has Cynthia just become the be-all best trainer of the series at this point?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Austrian mook posted:

Has Cynthia just become the be-all best trainer of the series at this point?

She's a pretty chill gal with an amazing wardrobe and an actually diverse team. So yes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't care if they keep Wallace as the champion as long as they give him some not-water Pokemon. Keep Milotic (his ace) and fill the rest of his team with "graceful" Pokemon, to fit his theme. Include no more than two additional water types (one of which must be Ludicolo, the most graceful Pokemon of all).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

She's a pretty chill gal with an amazing wardrobe and an actually diverse team. So yes.

Not to mention some really loving sweet battle music.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Off topic from the OR/AS discussion, but I have to wonder: Who in the hell thought the Pal Park was a decent idea? Only 6 pokemon per day, and to actually get them, you have to faff about in a knockoff safari zone for 5 minutes. :argh: This is not quality gameplay, Gamefreak! (I really pity those poor sods who completed the pokedex in Gen 3 and had to transfer it all over.)

Thankfully they removed the 6/day restriction in HG/SS, but it's still annoying as hell. The minigame you're forced to play when going from gen 4 -> 5 is even more annoying thanks to the lovely controls.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I hope ORAS actually uses the unique player models properly. One minor peeve I had with gym/elite 4/champion battles is the use of character artwork as a transition into battle. It really felt lazy and out of place. I want to see their models pose (or have quirks that add to their character) and throw a pokeball drat it :argh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

Thankfully they removed the 6/day restriction in HG/SS, but it's still annoying as hell. The minigame you're forced to play when going from gen 4 -> 5 is even more annoying thanks to the lovely controls.

Are you telling me if I had used my copy of HeartGold instead of Diamond I wouldn't have needed to go through all the date swapping bullshit. God dammit.

Also the Gen 4 -> 5 Mechanic is easy as heck, what are you talking about?

BurningDance posted:

I hope ORAS actually uses the unique player models properly. One minor peeve I had with gym/elite 4/champion battles is the use of character artwork as a transition into battle. It really felt lazy and out of place. I want to see their models pose (or have quirks that add to their character) and throw a pokeball drat it :argh:

It annoyed me that the only trainers they actually modeled were Team Flare.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxC1kXm_AVs

Not many people did because you needed a special Arceus.

That sure is something. I wonder if there is an 8-bit Sinjoh Ruins theme if you're wearing the gameboy sound thing.

Speaking of, I hope ORAS has that option as well. I cant get enough of MIDI trumpets

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

mabels big day posted:

That sure is something. I wonder if there is an 8-bit Sinjoh Ruins theme if you're wearing the gameboy sound thing.

Speaking of, I hope ORAS has that option as well. I cant get enough of MIDI trumpets

I'm not sure if this was already posted in here or not, but it's the best thing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I need this with every song in the whole game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Pokemon Emerald was my first of the series. I remember reaching the 2nd gym town, where I'm going through this cave with sableyes. Coming in all my pokemon knew only normal attacks except for my marshtomp, so the sableye was a nightmare to me. I only understood normal attacks didn't affect ghost-types, so I caught a makuhita and abra and imagine my surprise when both fighting and psychic attacks also had no effect.

I hated those sableyes. :argh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blaziken386 posted:

It annoyed me that the only trainers they actually modeled were Team Flare.

Team Flare, your useless-rear end friends people who refuse to leave you alove, and Professor loving Sycamore.

None of the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, or even the Champion.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The aquarium having nothing in it was far more disappointing IMO.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Team Flare, your useless-rear end friends people who refuse to leave you alove, and Professor loving Sycamore.

None of the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, or even the Champion.

How I wish the friends were better. They have a pretty good concept with their different goals (except the tanned girl), but it's just not working out.
Imagine fighting Tierno with a Ludicolo, Hitmontop, Lillygant, Meloetta, Jynx and what other pokemon have a dance theme? (Jynx based on the pokedex about swaying hips, think Shakira)
The dorky kid isn't even trying to get a pokedex despite his claims.
I now have 5 badges, why does my rival still have 3 pokemon? No wonder her name isn't showing up on the pillars in the gyms.

I'm using a volt tackle Raichu at the moment, I wish he had a larger HP stat. He can get two attacks off and then dies to retaliation and feedback. Still worth it for the chance to yell Voltekka at my 3DS. :colbert:
I also wish the cute electric pokemon were better. Dedenne (why does it even learn play rough!) and Emolga! :argh:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Darth TNT posted:

I also wish the cute electric pokemon were better. Dedenne (why does it even learn play rough!) and Emolga! :argh:

Emolga is acually quite good and usable for in-game (I had one with me through all of White 2 Challenge Mode and it was one of my MVPs), and pretty annoying to fight against.

Dedenne OTOH is widely accepted as the worst fully-evolved gen VI mon, sadly. I love its design and type combo, so I wish it was better. It can't even learn the Dazzling Gleam TM, I wonder what GF was thinking with that.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 12, 2014

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Darth TNT posted:

How I wish the friends were better. They have a pretty good concept with their different goals (except the tanned girl), but it's just not working out.
Imagine fighting Tierno with a Ludicolo, Hitmontop, Lillygant, Meloetta, Jynx and what other pokemon have a dance theme? (Jynx based on the pokedex about swaying hips, think Shakira)
The dorky kid isn't even trying to get a pokedex despite his claims.
I now have 5 badges, why does my rival still have 3 pokemon? No wonder her name isn't showing up on the pillars in the gyms.

I legitimately felt terrible for stomping Sarena into the ground. It seemed to be making her depressed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

PSWII60 posted:

I legitimately felt terrible for stomping Sarena into the ground. It seemed to be making her depressed.

And then you do a little fist-pump after you beat her.

Player character, why are you such a jerk? :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

less laughter posted:

Emolga is acually quite good and usable for in-game (I had one with me through all of White 2 Challenge Mode and it was one of my MVPs), and pretty annoying to fight against.

Dedenne OTOH is widely accepted as the worst fully-evolved gen VI mon, sadly. I love its design and type combo, so I wish it was better. It can't even learn the Dazzling Gleam TM, I wonder what GF was thinking with that.

I love Emolga, but every time I use it (once in B/W, once in B2/W2 and once now again in X/Y), it dissappoints me and fails to keep up with the rest of the team causing me to drop it after a short while. It's fast enough, but it just doesn't hit hard enough combined with lowish HP and bad defenses. When I get tired of Raichu dieing due to head trauma I'll probably give it yet another go... :( Maybe I should try and breed one with Baton pass.

Yeah, as I posted it I looked at Dedenne's TM moves, why doesn't it learn any special fairy attacks? Gamefreak never ceases to amaze in how they can get some thing so right and other things so wrong. I wonder if they keep the power of the rodents down so that they don't steal Pikachu's spotlight.

It's the worst Pokemon of this gen and it's the worst of the cute rodent electric type line.

edit:

JordanKai posted:

And then you do a little fist-pump after you beat her.

Player character, why are you such a jerk? :(
I still like the explanation someone posted earlier that we're their Silver/Blue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Darth TNT posted:

I love Emolga, but every time I use it (once in B/W, once in B2/W2 and once now again in X/Y), it dissappoints me and fails to keep up with the rest of the team causing me to drop it after a short while. It's fast enough, but it just doesn't hit hard enough combined with lowish HP and bad defenses. When I get tired of Raichu dieing due to head trauma I'll probably give it yet another go... :( Maybe I should try and breed one with Baton pass.

Yeah, as I posted it I looked at Dedenne's TM moves, why doesn't it learn any special fairy attacks? Gamefreak never ceases to amaze in how they can get some thing so right and other things so wrong. I wonder if they keep the power of the rodents down so that they don't steal Pikachu's spotlight.

It's the worst Pokemon of this gen and it's the worst of the cute rodent electric type line.

When's the last time you looked at Pachirisu? :v:

Dedenne is at least usable in game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, as I posted it I looked at Dedenne's TM moves, why doesn't it learn any special fairy attacks? Gamefreak never ceases to amaze in how they can get some thing so right and other things so wrong.

And there isn't even a Hidden Power Fairy as a last resort either... :negative:

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Jesus Christ

I stopped playing pokémon when Pearl came out - what the gently caress has happened?! Whats with all the new stuff? Why is there a fairy type? They remade the 2nd generation and they're planning to do the third? The new games are set in France - one half of me is curious and wants to get stuck in again, but there have been so many changes I'm worried I'm too intimidated by it all to give it a shot! :psyduck:

Also can someone explain why one of the pokémon is literally a keyring - what's up with that?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Averrences posted:

Jesus Christ

I stopped playing pokémon when Pearl came out - what the gently caress has happened?! Whats with all the new stuff? Why is there a fairy type? They remade the 2nd generation and they're planning to do the third? The new games are set in France - one half of me is curious and wants to get stuck in again, but there have been so many changes I'm worried I'm too intimidated by it all to give it a shot! :psyduck:

Also can someone explain why one of the pokémon is literally a keyring - what's up with that?

Just start the new games, you'll figure everything out as you go along.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

New design choices. And X and Y are both very easy to get into if you have a 3DS. If you have the money, you should totally pick them up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zore posted:

When's the last time you looked at Pachirisu? :v:

Dedenne is at least usable in game.

I was going to say you were wrong and had a longish list of reasons. Then I looked again and compared them just to be certain. :(
Pachirisu has better defenses but no HP to use it with. It does get volt absorb and hyper fang. Maybe it could work in doubles? :shrug: All it's attack stats are horrible so that's about it.
Dedenne...well, it can switch into dragons and scratch them I suppose. It can use a better thunderbolt than Emolga.

Yeah, I think you're right. It just edges out Pachirisu. Fortunately both get pick up, so you can hunt the roads for candy people dropped with your army of cuteness.

I wonder if the game is doable with just the cute rodent pokemon.

less laughter posted:

And there isn't even a Hidden Power Fairy as a last resort either... :negative:
It doesn't even get last resort as a last resort. :v:

Averrences posted:

Jesus Christ

Something about a superstition regarding fairies, steel and keys dissappearing.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
It always blows my mind that people are intimidated by a new version of a game series for literal children. Even with all the weird arcane steps involved with making competitive Pokemon (really the only part of the game that's even a little intimidating), it's still exactly as complicated as you make it. If you're curious, just play!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Averrences posted:

The Keyring rules and makes nerds cry.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Success! I finally got every Vivillon. :toot: The hardest two on my end, Monsoon and Tundra, came about with me doing some weird GTS fuckery with an extra Ocean and Sandstorm. Now I just have to see if ORAS will bring out the other two. Time to waste time drawing them!

Maybe GameFreak will rethink their distribution so that the continental US isn't primarily represented by two types. Hah, I should be so lucky.

(I have an extra copy of Y and spare system that allow me to generate the twelve types that an NA system can make, which was how eight of those little buggers were born. Check the trade thread; I'll give them out for pretty much anything.)

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Because Nintendo and Gamefreak have an aversion to adapting to modern gaming convention like DLC
Why are you complaining about them making the best possible choice? DLC is stupid and bad, gently caress it forever.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nethilia posted:

Success! I finally got every Vivillon. :toot: The hardest two on my end, Monsoon and Tundra, came about with me doing some weird GTS fuckery with an extra Ocean and Sandstorm. Now I just have to see if ORAS will bring out the other two. Time to waste time drawing them!

Maybe GameFreak will rethink their distribution so that the continental US isn't primarily represented by two types. Hah, I should be so lucky.

(I have an extra copy of Y and spare system that allow me to generate the twelve types that an NA system can make, which was how eight of those little buggers were born. Check the trade thread; I'll give them out for pretty much anything.)

Congrats!

I'm about halfway there. I've had a lot of luck with random passerbys by posting a "Trade Vivillon" message. Swapping scatterbugs or spewpas on GTS got a lot better results than trying to find the vivillon pattern I want.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Crosscontaminant posted:

Why are you complaining about them making the best possible choice? DLC is stupid and bad, gently caress it forever.

This is a huge generalization, and a pretty bad opinion, too. Yes on one extreme you have "horse armor," but on the other extreme you have 1,000 extra Rock Band songs.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
DLCing event Mons would fall under the Horse Armor category.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Nethilia posted:

Congrats, I ended up pokechecking over a bunch of legendaries and clearing out some of the GTS. At least I knew which one I was getting. The pink one seemed rarest to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DLC doesn't have to be paid DLC. In the case of 'mons it should just be the event stuff available whenever, so it's not just this one time thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Averrences posted:

Jesus Christ

Look, things have gotten a bit more complicated since the old days, but the games are pretty simple so you'll catch up soon enough. Be aware that the number of pokemon has nearly doubled since Gen III, attacks aren't physical or special based on type anymore, and Fairy just came into existence this gen that beats Dragon. Also, temporary Mega Evoutions are around now that boost underpowered pokemon to Legendary levels for one battle. Check Serebii or Bulbapedia for more details when you get confused.

It's a lot to take in, but at least you're better off than some. If an eight-year-old can figure it out, you can.

Oxyclean posted:

DLC doesn't have to be paid DLC. In the case of 'mons it should just be the event stuff available whenever, so it's not just this one time thing.

That's what I meant. Just give use some free DLC for those event quest key items so we can reach the areas and pokemon they add without bothering with all this artificial scarcity nonsense.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 12, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Geostomp posted:

That's what I meant. Just give use some free DLC for those event quest key items so we can reach the areas and pokemon they add without bothering with all this artificial scarcity nonsense.

And even if they wanted to keep it, what they could is like a delayed circulation kinda thing. Ie, if you want the super special rare legendary within the first several months after the game is released? Head down to Event X or whatever! However, if you wait till like, the generation ends, or a couple years pass, then delight as you receive a notification - or otherwise discover - that they're now available via the eshop/mystery gifts.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

less laughter posted:

I really like Dedenne. I even bred and trained one in super training, before I realized that it doesn't get any of the good fairy moves.

Still, my Hamlet is adorable and nuzzles his enemies to death while picking up items for me.:3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Geostomp posted:

But then how can they release event pokemon in Japan while telling everyone else to eat poo poo? Still waiting on my Nobunaga's Rayquaza and E-Speed Genesect...

• Locked thread