Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've been thinking about getting a Roomba lately...thoughts? I have all hardwood floors, and 3 small dogs (2 of which minimally shed (Boston Terriers)). I've heard good and bad things. I think my wife has the theory that this means we won't have to vacuum ourselves anymore...but I really don't think that will be the case. As it is now, we dust/vacuum/mop once a week and we still manage to pick up quite a bit of dirt. Are roombas mainly more for just in-between cleaning or could I back off to vacuuming/swiffering twice a month instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

I have a roomba to deal with a very shedding pair of cats. It is a massive help in minimising the spread of cat hair but I still vacuum once a week with an ordinary vacuum cleaner. As good as it is it cannot get everywhere either so we get hair balls collecting where it can't quite get to.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I managed to break the connector on my zalman clip on microphone and had to use my logitech usb headset for gaming, which apparently I sound a lot clearer on.

Whats a good USB mic that I can either easily clip on to an existing pair of audio headphones or just sits on the desk. I'd like to keep it under $50.

Also looking for air conditioner brand recommendations and size for a 2 bedroom apartment. The living room has a 220v outlet but i'm guessing thats even more of a hit to the electric bill so if possible i'd like to stick to 110v model unless those just end up using more power to provide cooling? I've never had to deal with this, all previous places have had AC already installed.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Watts = Amps x Volts. So, higher voltage means less amps are needed to reach a specific wattage. My understanding is that higher voltage is more efficient at energy consumption.

I got a klimaire mini split ac unit last summer from amazon and it is has been wonderful. Very quiet. And the compressor uses a DC motor which also means better energy consumption. My understanding of the way that works is that a dc motor can throttle the motor up slowly to react to demand, whereas an ac motor is just a toggle, full on or off. I'm pretty spoiled now. It will be hard to ever deal with a window unit again.

Comatoast has a new favorite as of 18:21 on May 11, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Comatoast posted:

Watts = Amps x Volts. So, higher voltage means less amps are needed to reach a specific wattage. My understanding is that higher voltage is more efficient at energy consumption.

I got a klimaire mini split ac unit last summer from amazon and it is has been wonderful. Very quiet. And the compressor uses a DC motor which also means better energy consumption. My understanding of the way that works is that a dc motor can throttle the motor up slowly to react to demand, whereas an ac motor is just a toggle, full on or off. I'm pretty spoiled now. It will be hard to ever deal with a window unit again.

Generally the reason an appliance will require 220V over 110V is because it's safer to pull more power over 220V than 110V (since like you said it means less amps, and amps are what trips circuit breakers and heats up wires). If you got two AC's that are equivalently spec'd for cooling side by side, the 220V one would probably be more efficient, but most 220V ones on the market will probably be higher capacity (and therefore higher power usage) than 110V ones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would like to tag on to this AC chat. I am looking to buy a 220v unit for the house we are renting. The unit has to go in a really unoptimal spot so I would love a unit with a remote thermostat or one with a easy to use programable timer.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bunnielab posted:

I would like to tag on to this AC chat. I am looking to buy a 220v unit for the house we are renting. The unit has to go in a really unoptimal spot so I would love a unit with a remote thermostat or one with a easy to use programable timer.

2013 guide but should still be relevant http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-air-conditioners/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Recommend me an airplane travel pillow!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Etrips posted:

Don't have a specific one in mind, but don't get an inflatable one; get one with either the beads or whatever in it or comfort foam.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

duckfarts posted:

Don't have a specific one in mind, but don't get an inflatable one; get one with either the beads or whatever in it or comfort foam.

Thanks!

Could have sworn I asked this before, but I search isn't returning any results back for some reason.

Recommendations on a pretty decent suit case?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Etrips posted:

Thanks!

Could have sworn I asked this before, but I search isn't returning any results back for some reason.

Anything travelpro.

This pillow is pretty good because it's tall instead of wide, so it'll hold your head up. Keeps you from getting neck pain when you pass out sitting upright.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

M42 posted:

Anything travelpro.

This pillow is pretty good because it's tall instead of wide, so it'll hold your head up. Keeps you from getting neck pain when you pass out sitting upright.

I've always wanted to be Katamari.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

For airline carry-ons, Travelpro's 22" rollaboards are hard to beat. I have their 20" FlightCrew 4 rollaboard which is sold to airline personnel, and while it's probably overkill for me, the engineering in this thing means I won't ever want to replace it, unless it's with the 22" expandable version.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Etrips posted:

Thanks!

FYI: I think SA search (and archives) is still broken.

Also on the neck pillow thing, if you do get memory foam, make sure it's thick enough to support your head without squishing down to nothing. Otherwise, you end up needing to double it over and using it that way. Bead ones are easier to reshape for this, but they're firmer(which you may or may not prefer).

e: On the Travelpros, my brother has one, and while the build quality could be better/stronger, the design and organization was well thought out and very convenient.

duckfarts has a new favorite as of 03:42 on May 19, 2014

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Etrips posted:

Alcohol.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

This. Three or four bloody marys before takeoff seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I would have to get black out drunk to be passed out for a 14 hour flight.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ask for them extra bloody then.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

For airline carry-ons, Travelpro's 22" rollaboards are hard to beat. I have their 20" FlightCrew 4 rollaboard which is sold to airline personnel, and while it's probably overkill for me, the engineering in this thing means I won't ever want to replace it, unless it's with the 22" expandable version.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so caveat emptor I suppose, but last time I looked at replacing my current bag, there were a lot of recommendations for the Tom Bihn Aeronaut / Tri-Star and the Red Oxx Air Boss, so those might be worth checking out as well.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Etrips posted:

If you're looking for a carry-on size, this bag is inexpensive and pretty great: http://www.amazon.com/American-Tourister-Luggage-Upright-Suitcase/dp/B007UNSIH2

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

madpanda posted:

Also looking for air conditioner brand recommendations and size for a 2 bedroom apartment. The living room has a 220v outlet but i'm guessing thats even more of a hit to the electric bill so if possible i'd like to stick to 110v model unless those just end up using more power to provide cooling? I've never had to deal with this, all previous places have had AC already installed.

I will say that if you have left-right sliding windows instead of up-down, and you end up getting a freestanding unit, definitely make sure you get a two-tube model - single tubes generate a negative pressure and can end up pulling in hot air from outside/etc.

Notable: the most efficient are the in-window units without the tubes or anything, but if you have side-sliding windows they're a major pain.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm looking to buy 4 dining chairs, about 100 dollars each. I just want something sturdy that would be easy to clean, preferably with a modern touch.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nwin posted:

I've been thinking about getting a Roomba lately...thoughts? I have all hardwood floors, and 3 small dogs (2 of which minimally shed (Boston Terriers)). I've heard good and bad things. I think my wife has the theory that this means we won't have to vacuum ourselves anymore...but I really don't think that will be the case. As it is now, we dust/vacuum/mop once a week and we still manage to pick up quite a bit of dirt. Are roombas mainly more for just in-between cleaning or could I back off to vacuuming/swiffering twice a month instead?

I have the pet specific roomba, and it does a pretty good job on hardwood and carpet.

The only problem is if the roomba passes near some loose fur or a furball, the 'exhaust' from the rear will simply blow it around the room, and usually underneath something the roomba can't get to.

The plus side is the jokes people make about me coming home to find my cat missing and a red streak across the floor leading to the roomba's charging dock

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

What would be the best insoles I could get for around $60?

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Etrips posted:

Thanks!

For business travel, I liked this one when traveling with a suit. Though actual garment bags are still better.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VQ7VY4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I need some trimmer line that will last more than 6 feet along my fence without shredding itself since my echo has an annoying head design that requires you to pull the broken lines out and insert a new 10" precut section of line. Doing this every 30 seconds gets old.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Burger McAngus posted:

What would be the best insoles I could get for around $60?

I'm a big fan of Superfeet. I have a pair of greens in my running shoes. I don't remember exactly what the different colors mean.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

calandryll posted:

I'm a big fan of Superfeet. I have a pair of greens in my running shoes. I don't remember exactly what the different colors mean.

I agree with the Superfeet. Personally, I use the blues. I have minimal arch in my feet, and the greens would be too much for me. Their website has descriptions of each type, and I order them on Amazon.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
My girlfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, and were stoked to find out that the landlords provide free WiFi! Sweet! Too bad it sucks, so we decided to just get our own internet. And then last night I figured out why they give us free WiFi. In all the excitement we never checked to see if the apartment had co-ax cable outlets. Turns out it doesn't.
So it appears that getting our own internet is no longer an option. I looked into wifi extenders, but it appears that most of those require a co -ax hook up as well.
I'm not sure what our options are. The wi-fi is so slow that we normally end up putting our iPhones to 3G, and watching Netflix on the ps3 or my pc is an exercise in frustration.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Is DSL available in your area?

Also how is the apartment providing wifi access? If its from a single access point or gateway (and there's a large number of units in the complex) you're not going to get much use out of it even under ideal conditions. The quality of the internet connection being shared will also have an effect - if they're using a basic residential plan a handful of users will easily saturate the available bandwidth with common internet tasks.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
There are 10 units in the building, served by a single router. I assume they're just using a decent residential plan. I take it this means a range extender won't help?
To my knowledge cable internet is the only option in my area.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

martinlutherbling posted:

There are 10 units in the building, served by a single router. I assume they're just using a decent residential plan. I take it this means a range extender won't help?

The problem is twofold; there's a finite amount of bandwidth to go around from their ISP, and unless they dropped some serious money on it a single access point is going to struggle to keep up with 10+ clients. An easy way to tell if its simple network congestion that's working against you is check your speeds when most other people are asleep, say at 3-4 in the morning.

I'd definitely research DSL (assuming your unit has a phone line run,) unless you live in the middle of nowhere it should be available. Sometimes you'll have an address that's in a developed area that is still stuck in a cable-only monopoly market.

Have you checked if your landlord would allow a cable to be run to your unit?

Geoj has a new favorite as of 21:03 on May 27, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a decently priced USB 3.0 thumb drive that I can put on my keychain? The smaller/sturdier the better. Hopefully without breaking the bank. I don't need massive storage sizes, just something to store computer repair tools on and the occasional file transfer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

Any recommendations for a decently priced USB 3.0 thumb drive that I can put on my keychain? The smaller/sturdier the better. Hopefully without breaking the bank. I don't need massive storage sizes, just something to store computer repair tools on and the occasional file transfer.

I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Voyag...corsair+usb+3.0

Sits on my keychain and has microUSB so I can interface with my phone as well as my computer. The finish has scuffed up some, but it's been pretty durable.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Checked the pages back to the end of last year and didn't see anything so:

Any suggestions on a decent beginner or entry espresso machine? I have a bialetti stove top maker and wanted to get a dedicated machine that can make more a bit faster for when I have friends over and that had a real steamer attachment.

I'd like to spend under $100.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

Checked the pages back to the end of last year and didn't see anything so:

Any suggestions on a decent beginner or entry espresso machine? I have a bialetti stove top maker and wanted to get a dedicated machine that can make more a bit faster for when I have friends over and that had a real steamer attachment.

I'd like to spend under $100.

There's a coffee thread in GWS that could point you in the right direction, but I don't think it's possible to get a decent espresso maker for that little amount. You can get things called espresso makers for that much, but they're not going to get to the pressure (and consistent pressure) you need to pull a proper shot.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There's a coffee thread in GWS that could point you in the right direction, but I don't think it's possible to get a decent espresso maker for that little amount. You can get things called espresso makers for that much, but they're not going to get to the pressure (and consistent pressure) you need to pull a proper shot.

Ok, well thanks. I'll check GWS.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

m.hache posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HFPW114/ref=aw_gl_ov_dp_1_5?colid=DXJPVZQWR5WV&coliid=I15VY01WZUI2OX

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got this one as a Present: http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=wr_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&colid=9E7R4N8CFOV0&coliid=I2PMZK35ZAYSXS

It's pretty OK for $100, but I don't use it that much since I have an Aeropress and Aeropresses rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sportman posted:

I don't use it that much since I have an Aeropress and Aeropresses rock.

It'll push you slightly over $100, but Aeropress + electric kettle will treat you quite well.

• Locked thread