Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

hit button posted:

Interface options > Show Spell Error Messages

Awesome, thankies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Since the PvE/PvP poll is so close I've been looking it over.

If we go PvP, we have the benefit of being able to grief the poo poo out of Exile guys and have something to break up the monotony of quests.

PvE, however, we have the advantage of having Exile and Dominion players on the same server, and be able to have alts on both sides.

I'm kind of leaning towards PvE just because I'd like for us to be able to hang out on the same server easily, and if anyone wants to faction transfer or whatever they don't have to also cough up a server transfer etc

Anyone else have thoughts on this

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I'll see the rest of you on Pergo :getin:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well, that option I was looking for earlier about auto-facing targetted mobs? I ended up turning it off once I got used to how combat is supposed to work. This weekend has been a fun distraction from XIV, Spellslinger and Scientist was the most fun Class/Path pair. I thought I'd enjoy Explorer, but it turned out that Scientist gets to do exploring and secret area opening without jumping puzzles. The scavenger hunt missions weren't so bad, though. If I was going to stick around, I'd definitely want to try and see how things work with a gamepad.

Unfortunately I don't think I can go in for a box+subscription on a game I'd only play occasionally. The fact that beta characters are getting wiped kind of helps, because I won't be tempted back by progress / achievements I did.

One particularly annoying thing in the game is how challenges pop up. If I'm in a new area, having a challeng timer pop up when I kill an enemy or touch a glowy meant that a lot of the time I felt compelled to try and complete it, running around like a headless chicken and missing exploring and discovering what's around. Eventually I learned to just tune it out and let it run out because there are just so many different challenges. Oh, and gently caress the weird slot machine loot distribution for challenges. I guess it's to encourage people doing them multiple times, but having to select one, then wait for the choosing animation play-- which takes an oddly long amount of time-- maybe it wouldn't be so annoying if it was much shorter and the crafting chests weren't bugged.

Oh, and why do AMPs past the first tier have to be unlocked with item drops? It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't buy my second tier abilities because the message saying that you unlocked the second tier failed to mention that you need to further unlock each ability in that tier individually. I can't even imagine how complicated crafting will be given how complex character outfitting is.

On the positive side, I really like the pulpy sci-fi feel of the world. Classes take a while before even start to get a feel for them. The first 10 levels are a painful slog, especially if you just want to check the class out. Weirdly the Exile side has a much shorter (maybe it just feels that way?) tutorial than the Dominion. So I split things half and half testing classes and paths because the while the Exiles have hilarious space rednecks and Mordesh, the Dominion just felt so much better with their questing zones and the Chua. I like that Humans are only like the third shortest race. Usually I almost never play humans in MMOs, but in Wildstar, despite them being the only race in both factions, it doesn't feel like they dominate the universe.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
Also planning to roll my character on Pergo at launch.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Oh, and gently caress the weird slot machine loot distribution for challenges. I guess it's to encourage people doing them multiple times, but having to select one, then wait for the choosing animation play-- which takes an oddly long amount of time-- maybe it wouldn't be so annoying if it was much shorter and the crafting chests weren't bugged.

You can just close the window after picking the reward you want and skip the slot machine animation. Also I haven't noticed any bugs with crafting chests. You might be confused by there being a totally separate inventory for crafting materials.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

hit button posted:

You can just close the window after picking the reward you want and skip the slot machine animation. Also I haven't noticed any bugs with crafting chests. You might be confused by there being a totally separate inventory for crafting materials.

There is? I thought finding that you have a side tab for bag slots was odd, and the extra partition at the bottom where quest items were placed. Where do crafting materials show up? I had some stuff that I thought was crafting related ( gained through salvage, but not grey/junk vendor trash) sitting in my normal inventory slots.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Potsticker posted:

There is? I thought finding that you have a side tab for bag slots was odd, and the extra partition at the bottom where quest items were placed. Where do crafting materials show up? I had some stuff that I thought was crafting related ( gained through salvage, but not grey/junk vendor trash) sitting in my normal inventory slots.

If you press the hammer in your inventory it opens a separate tab that collects all basic crafting supplies

You can right click these to pop them into your normal inventory slots to sell or whatever, but crafting pulls directly from that tab

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Potsticker posted:

Click the hammer next to the salvage button, if you hover over that it should say something like Tradeskill Bag. Another thing, if you don't want to hit Salvage and go through everything you can just drop items to salvage onto the salvage button. You can also take poo poo in and out of the tradeskill bag, and if you get more than a stack of something it overflows to your regular bag. Also you don't have to loot a challenge when you beat it, you can bring up the loot screen from a button in the challenge tab of the quest log.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Doublestep posted:

If we go PvP, we have the benefit of being able to grief the poo poo out of Exile guys and have something to break up the monotony of quests.

PvE, however, we have the advantage of having Exile and Dominion players on the same server, and be able to have alts on both sides.

I'm kind of leaning towards PvE just because I'd like for us to be able to hang out on the same server easily, and if anyone wants to faction transfer or whatever they don't have to also cough up a server transfer etc

I tend to agree with you in leaning towards PvE as I've found (in WoW at least) that PvP flagged areas added hardly anything to the game and all the PvP that people cared about was in instanced battlegrounds/arenas anyway. I also didn't know about the faction restriction on PvP servers which sways me further towards PvE.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doublestep posted:

If you press the hammer in your inventory it opens a separate tab that collects all basic crafting supplies

CrashCat posted:

Click the hammer next to the salvage button, if you hover over that it should say something like Tradeskill Bag.

Oh, I had thought the hammer was how you started crafting, since the button right next to it is taking things apart. So weird.

When I got the quest to pick tradeskills, there appeared to be a bug where the person I had to talk to for cooking was not showing up where the quest marker said they should be, right next to a cooking stove, so along with the chest thing, I assumed crafting was bugged all over the place. I'm not sure how I was supposed to pick trade skills. I assume talking to trainers, since the tradeskill ui panels were all blank and clicking on the crafting bench behind the guy who gave me the quest to pick 2 did nothing.

Other weird UI stuff: Class level, equipment, reputation and mount are part of one Component, while tradeskill and path level is over with achivements and challenge log in a different one. Abilities for your class and path are in a third. Though, that grouping makes sense since everything there is what constitutes your "build."

EDIT: Got that wrong. Tradeskills are in it's OWN component, separate from the rest. That's why it was hard to find. Three blank tabs, though, because I don't have any tradeskills.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 12, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Doublestep posted:

Id lean towards PvE for being able to roll both factions. Any fun (for me anyway) pvp is going to be in the BGs.

Being on a PvE server enables everyone to have their chua and cat peoplerock people.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Speaking of the poll, I thought I saw a dev post somewhere that they'll make Nexus like, the test server, because Nexus is what everyone knows about Wildstar and they want to avoid literally everyone piling onto the same PVE server because hey, it's called Nexus!

Can't find it now though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's been linked or quoted on the last thousand pages of this thread.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
So this game has a sprint button. That would have made the last 15 levels slightly faster!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So no EU guild yet?

I'm having fun with the open beta, but I don't think I'm going to preorder.

My reasons are simple, really:
I know next to nothing about end game. Their focus on "old-school" 40 man raids is very concerning, and I need to know how endgame shapes up before I try to play half-seriously.

Optimization is a huge letdown, and the fact that the game only has, what, 2 more weeks before release? and still plays very poorly is a bad sign.

I'm a WoW nerd, so I'll probably go back to WoD as soon as it's out. Might as well wait a few months to see if Wildstar is any good, or if we get more information about WoD's release.

That said, Chuas own.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is it just me or is Settler really fiddly and grindy?

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Bummer, looks like GMG has sold their last discounted copy. This showing as out of stock for everyone else I assume?

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/wildstar-na/

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, and this is getting to be a massive pain trying to buy an NA copy. Why is it so goddamn difficult. :negative:

I'll just have to get a friend to gift me a CD key, blah.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
My only worry with this game is that it's going to suck rear end for AU players, because most of the melee classes are not fun to play with high latency.

The Oceanic servers are name-only, right? They're not actually hosted in Oceania?

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
How long are the group instances/dungeons in this game? under 1hour?2hours?

The level 20 dungeon Ruins of KelVoreth was pretty big in this youtube video, the endboss does something where this game basically turns into space invaders Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0yrpQeC80

at 1:02:37

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 12, 2014

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
Rumble in the void (the only adventure I've tried so far) is about 30-40 mins max in general. I would imagine the actual dungeons/raids being longer though. I'll be interested to see what the expeditions are like too (the scaling ones you can enter from your house, I think that's what they're called)

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Sadly I can't be a Chua stalker :(

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

I think the problem that you will run into is that the allure the PvP server has on the PvP focused folks (Open world PvP, better cross faction rivalaries, deeper pool of decent people for competitive PvP, etc...), can't be overcome by the PvE advantages. I think you'll lose more people going PvE than you will PvP. The alts thing is neat, but since this isn't FFXIV with it's "do everything on one guy" job system, people will tend to concentrate on their main character.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

raingwc posted:

This is a thing that should definitely happen. :argh:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Doublestep posted:

I support PVE myself and maybe eventually they'll add way for different factions to group (since factions are duuuumb) PVP servers only going to be interesting for a few months anyways before one faction dominates the server.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Doublestep posted:

My vote is still for PvP. Open World PVP adds an element to a fresh MMO that can't be replicated on a PvE server. Seems like the Goon Guild has splintered even before the game has launched!

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013
Certain internet cd-key shops still have the standard wildstar preorder for 30Euro/41dollar, at least for EU versions.
They sometimes seem shady, but i have bought from such sites in the past.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rylek posted:

My vote is still for PvP. Open World PVP adds an element to a fresh MMO that can't be replicated on a PvE server. Seems like the Goon Guild has splintered even before the game has launched!

It's gonna be tough to have everyone play together. We are such a large community. I personally would prefer to be in a guild on a PvE server on the Exile faction.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Can somebody who is not me make an EU guild please, tia.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PVE seems like the infinitely better choice.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

raingwc posted:

Not at launch, but they have said they plan to open all classes for all races whenever they can finish the animation sets. Another argument for waiting I guess.

WarLocke posted:

It is, though because you get usable Settler resources even from just killing poo poo it's probably the easiest choice for someone who never wants to do a Path mission. Of course with all the buff stations it'll also probably be the minimax choice. I think skipping Paths would mean ignoring the biggest 'different' feature I've seen in the game so far.

The good news is if every other rear end in a top hat goes Settler you don't really need to, since almost all their poo poo is shared benefit. At least until the zone is empty cause you went too far ahead or fell behind.

Re: the server debate, there are custom channels and there is an addon to 'un-alien' the other faction chat. Need to test this out (and then Carbine will patch it out anyway). Basically if that interaction isn't possible the only benefit I see to having both sides on the same PvE server is, ironically, fighting each other in the instanced PvP. I do think that world PvP will be pretty much limited to griefing since there are so many instance options, so I guess it depends how much you'd like to be on a bunny girl killing gank squad. Though I have a sinking feeling even that may be too difficult due to the separate starting continents. The shared areas seem to be much higher level and I don't even know if tou can get to the other continent.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 12, 2014

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
If anyone honestly didn't think we'd end up with 4 "main" guilds 2 for each side and then on both pve/pvp i'm surprised. Then we'll have people who are playing with friends an co-workers. I'm just going were the most organized and largest goon guild goes as they'll end up with longest staying power.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Not at launch, but they have said they plan to open all classes for all races whenever they can finish the animation sets. Another argument for waiting I guess.
It is, though because you get usable Settler resources even from just killing poo poo it's probably the easiest choice for someone who never wants to do a Path mission. Of course with all the buff stations it'll also probably be the minimax choice. I think skipping Paths would mean ignoring the biggest 'different' feature I've seen in the game so far.

The good news is if every other rear end in a top hat goes Settler you don't really need to, since almost all their poo poo is shared benefit. At least until the zone is empty cause you went too far ahead or fell behind.

I've tried all the paths a little bit and I think I'm set with Scientist. Soldier is just more killing stuff, and while I like the idea behind Explorer I just get frustrated at jumping puzzles. But with Scientist I get to nerd out at all the lore... :neckbeard:

Now I just need to try all the classes to see which I want to stick with. Next up on the rotation is a horribly cute aurin esper... :gay:

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
So for those of you using Steer and the mod to rebind hotkeys to mouse buttons, are any of you having trouble with the scientist path? Is there any way to rebind the "select" functionality of the left mouse button to something else? The problem I am having is that I can't select non-enemy targets (such as the crystal formations in that second Exile zone), as left clicking just fires off whichever skill I have bound to it. I hope there's some way around this, as I really really like the more action gamey feel Steer/Mousebutton skills gives the combat.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

El Cid posted:

So for those of you using Steer and the mod to rebind hotkeys to mouse buttons, are any of you having trouble with the scientist path? Is there any way to rebind the "select" functionality of the left mouse button to something else? The problem I am having is that I can't select non-enemy targets (such as the crystal formations in that second Exile zone), as left clicking just fires off whichever skill I have bound to it. I hope there's some way around this, as I really really like the more action gamey feel Steer/Mousebutton skills gives the combat.

Get closer and hit F?

TomatoActivator
Jun 11, 2003
Cheesy Bread
Did anyone have a real hard time grouping with friends? We kept wandering away from party members. It was pretty annoying to try and keep tabs on several players in your party. Not impossible, just way more difficult than it needs to be. Also quests were hard to keep together.

Also the medic does poop for damage. :( at least right now.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

WarLocke posted:

It does seem minmax-y. Combine with two gathering professions to maximize your strip-mining of the landscape.

Rylek posted:

I said come in! posted:

It's gonna be tough to have everyone play together. We are such a large community. I personally would prefer to be in a guild on a PvE server on the Exile faction.

All I do in these games is PvP but I'll still probably roll on a PvE server. World PvP maybe satisfies some people's "hunter's instinct", but when you can play an actual balanced PvP game at level 6, world PvP sounds a bit like a relic. Being in a big guild matters more to me than the server ruleset.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like MMOs with a good battleground mode. If Wildstar has that then i'll be pretty happy. I enjoy playing battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, Rift, and Star Wars the Old Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

:frogsiren: Important Cool Thing Notice :frogsiren:

You earn Renown for doing content while teamed. Period. You don't need to be fighting the same enemies, doing the same quests, or even on the same continent to be earning Renown by playing the game. My teammate was literally on the moon and I was killing monsters in the desert and earning Renown.

Always be on a team even if you're doing different things different places because it will get you this super cool currency. You can buy house stuff with it but you can also get a hoverboard for just 5000 Renown from a reputation vendor in Thayd once you're lv25. You get 5000 from doing like 2 or 3 hours of content around that level, it's basically nothing. Always team, always buy cool things.

TomatoActivator posted:

Did anyone have a real hard time grouping with friends? We kept wandering away from party members. It was pretty annoying to try and keep tabs on several players in your party. Not impossible, just way more difficult than it needs to be. Also quests were hard to keep together.

Also the medic does poop for damage. :( at least right now.

Yeah I have a hard time keeping tabs on anyone. The minimap needs to display arrows around the edge pointing towards your teammates regardless of how far away they are(unless they're a zone away or something I guess). A thing that helps is using the Specific Marker UI function. Right-click people and stick a toaster or flying pig over their head, and you can see those icons from a much further distance than you can their names.

• Locked thread