Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Dunban posted:

So who's Chewbacca?

Chewbacca (Sotirios Kyrgiakos) left on a free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Eh? Hodgson's has consistently proved goals have nothing to do with selection. He adores Welbeck, and Welbeck will be a long term international in the currently trendy 'defensive winger' role he plays for England.

Same with Cleverley who can't get a game at Utd yet is the first name on the England teamsheet.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/giggs_boson/status/463786355445616640

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
a Wilson or a Ronaldo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/angelos_ap/status/463786899123892224

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

quote:

No way he'll be a Macheda, the paranoid lot have come out it seems. He seems to have more about him and looks like someone to be a star for the future. If Hernandez were to leave, I would not be worried. He can just slot right in!

quote:

I wonder what odds you could get on him becoming United's all time top goalscorer in the future :keano:

2 down, a couple hundred or so to go...

quote:

The only question is whether he can develop enough with cameos as a backup or does he need a loan. The best part is that now he got 2 on his debut all but about 4 premier league clubs would love to take him on that loan. So he'd have a good selection to choose the right one for himself

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

:keano:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

A Zanuzaj or a Wilson or a Ronaldo indeed.

Dickail Bulgeakov
Jan 15, 2012

they're going to loan him to a team that is better than theirs to protect his development

edit: no fuckin way

quote:

From the video above and the many times I have see him, have come to the conclusion that he plays like the Brazilian Ronaldo. He is like no other striker that I can compare to.

He has pace, power, elegance with the ball, has a goal poacher characteristic, he gets involved in the making of play, he has the inelegance that is seen in very few strikers. He breezes past players.

this is the linked video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m8bZhNBQktQ

Dickail Bulgeakov fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 8, 2014

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-scoring-goals-doesnt-guarantee-a-championship-in-european-soccer/

quote:

Soccer presents a Pythagorean challenge because about a quarter of its matches end in draws, worth one point each in the league tables. Because wins are worth three points, the most accurate Pythagorean analyses overestimate most teams’ points totals, as soccer analyst Howard Hamilton has found. I got the same result when seeking the best exponent for the last 21 complete seasons of the big four European professional leagues, using data compiled by Opta, the soccer-stats providers and analysts. The best fit,2 an exponent of 1.19, overestimated the average team’s final standing by 4.6 points.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

The thing that kills me about these posts & make them the worst ones, is that they're always trying to fit their bullshit model to things that have happened in the past. They feed the data in from 20 seasons, and then keep adding functions until they get something kind of like the correct league table for those years but not really.

Do any of them try and predict the league for the next season based on all this bullshit to actually test their model? Or is it just constant unending wanking about their pet equations that Alan Hansen's dogshit intuition can probably beat.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 8, 2014

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Olewithmilk posted:

The thing that kills me about these posts & make them the worst ones, is that they're always trying to fit their bullshit model to things that have happened in the past. They feed the data in from 20 seasons, and then keep adding functions until they get something kind of like the correct league table for those years but not really.

Do any of them try and predict the league for the next season based on all this bullshit to actually test their model? Or is it just constant unending wanking about their pet equations that Alan Hansen's dogshit intuition can probably beat.

That's not really what the formula does. I had a thing typed out here but if anyone actually cares there's an explanation here. Basically, it's useful for taking a team's midseason goals/runs allowed and scored and determining what their wins and losses will be at the end of the season within a pretty reasonable margin (around 3 games in a 162 game season). It's a more accurate method, as it turns out, than using the team's current wins and losses. The point he makes in the article is that because a football match has three possible outcomes instead of two, the model's margin of error is much larger and it's not any more accurate than judging by current position.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
And nothing to do with a 20 team league's season being 38 matches instead of 162 at all. Or the fact that football isn't baseball.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Tsaedje posted:

And nothing to do with a 20 team league's season being 38 matches instead of 162 at all. Or the fact that football isn't baseball.

Well no, of course they're different. But the basic idea has been applied to basketball, NFL football, and ice hockey with varying degrees of success, and they're not anything alike. The NFL only plays a 16 game schedule. The fundamental problem is that you get a win percentage, when win percentage doesn't actually mean anything in football.

Don't get me wrong, I think baseball-style analysis has been wonderful for baseball but totally inapplicable to sports which aren't made up of discrete plays (ie pretty much any other one). This on the other hand is more about long-term trends and I think the mathematics is pretty sound.

....aaaanyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Teams that score more goals are more likely to win, as are teams that concede fewer goals

A lot of 538's post-election output is a heady mixture of misuse of data or misrepresenting data.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Uh, I think you'll find that 538 accurately predicted that Cool President Obama would defeat the Most Beige Man In The World, Mittington Romney the Third, the GOP's seventh choice and their only candidate whose past controversies made him only semi-unelectable. Thus statistics will always be right.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I want to get a job in statistics so that I can self-select data that supports my perspective for a living

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Lamont Cranston posted:

Well no, of course they're different. But the basic idea has been applied to basketball, NFL football, and ice hockey with varying degrees of success, and they're not anything alike. The NFL only plays a 16 game schedule. The fundamental problem is that you get a win percentage, when win percentage doesn't actually mean anything in football.

Don't get me wrong, I think baseball-style analysis has been wonderful for baseball but totally inapplicable to sports which aren't made up of discrete plays (ie pretty much any other one). This on the other hand is more about long-term trends and I think the mathematics is pretty sound.

....aaaanyway.

lol right thread

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

mynameisjohn posted:

I want to get a job in statistics so that I can self-select data that supports my perspective for a living

Congratulations, you have qualified to become Jozy Altidores new publicist!

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Reddit posted:

Okay so here goes. All this season I've been telling my friends who don't follow football closely about how insane it would be if Liverpool managed to win the title (explaining the significance of it having not won the league for 24 years, the role of Gerrard, the strength of other opponents).

But, I've also been telling them about how worried I was that it was mirroring The Dark Knight Rises. Throughout this whole season I have had that image of Bane in my head where he's telling a crippled Bruce Wayne "There can be no true despair without hope". What if this whole title charge was our hope before the despair? So on Monday night, as you could imagine, I was sat feeling like Bruce Wayne watching Bane torture Gotham. It was a perfect metaphor of the stadium pitch crumbling. This was it. True despair.

But then as I awoke on Tuesday, I began to realise. Batman (Liverpool) at the end is staring down the barrel of Bane's (Despair) shotgun (1 game away), and he's saved...by Catwoman (Andy Carroll). This logic is flawless and so I am already making preparations for a 5pm title party. Come to think of it, maybe it should be a Batman themed one.

which one of you posted this

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjut53UeVO4

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao right thread, how do you even find something like this?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vyelkin posted:

lmao right thread, how do you even find something like this?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Roman would be trying to sell him off to league one right now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Give them the Falklands back and it's a deal, imo. I'm sure FIFA would be okay with it if you gave Sepp another one of your useless islands.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I would imagine the people who actually create the poo poo that goes in this thread had a field day with this one

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The Brendhemian Rhapsody

Was this the real race?
Was this just fantasy?
Won in a landslide
No need for escape from reality,
Open your eyes
Look up all the ties, and See!

We’re just a poor team,
We need no sympathy
Cause its easy won, City blows
We are high, they are low
Anyway, Maureen-Yo doesn’t really matter
(To me) Too Meeee…

Sterling…,
Just killed the Man’s
Put the eyes on, tilts his head
Pulls the trigger, left for dead
Sterling
The race had just begun
But then he went and blew them all away
Sterling,
ooo-oo
Didn’t mean to make them cry
But they couldn’t keep up if they ran until tomorrow
Tracking back, kicking out, didn’t really matter….

Just great, our time has come!
Sends shivers down my spine
It’s a season for all time!
Goodbye, Moysie Mancster, you’ve got to go
Gotta leave your thing destroyed and face the truth
Suarez, oo-oo-o (easy won city blows)
Always made them cry.
The other teams knew he couldn’t be stopped at all…

I see a little Silouhetto of a man
AVTim AVTim can you do the FanTango?
Thunderbolts and lightning very very frightening
Pelligrino Pellegrino
Pellegrino Pellegrino
Pellegrino paid Eur-os (Magnifico-oo-o)

But we’re just a poor team everybody loves we
(We’re just a poor team with a rich history!)
Sparing the League from these Monstrosity’s

Easy won, City blows-will you tell Maureen?
John Henry! Yes! We will tell Maureen. (Wenger knows)
John Henry! We will tell Maureen. (Wenger knows)
John Henry! We will tell Maureen. (Wenger knows)
We did not let it go (didnt let it go)
Never Never let it go
Never Let it go-ooh, Go-Go-Go-Go-Go-GO
Oh Mama Mia Mama Mia We just never let it go
Couhtin-io had a through ball quite divine, and Steve,
And Steve, and Steeeve…..

Did you see Sturridge just school you, that blur in your eye?
Did you see as he scored and your brain was just fri-i-ed?
Ooh, Jose,
Such fun to do this to you Jose
We finish first,
We finished first in the League….

…oooh yeah, …oooh yeah
The title really mattered,
Anyone could see.
The title really mattered
The title really mattered,
To Steeeve.
(Cause its easy won, City blows, we are high they are low, anyway Maureen-Yo, doesn’t really matter, to Me…..)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Incredible

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The only good this about this footage is the chick,well tasty. I thought black guys are meant to have rhythm, Sturridge attempt at the wave is embarrassing,and yet he still does it whenever he scores. You'd think Rodgers would have pulled him aside and told him he looks a right oval office,saying that, Rodgers looks a bigger oval office with them false teeth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

"Plus, you get to cheer for Yaya Toure. He's black."

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vd-SQUaY_g

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

No idea if they're being sarcastic or they're serious or they're pretending to be serious to keep their American jobs?!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Completely serious, I think.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

They're Americans so they can't be sarcastic. Not until they invent and then perfect sarcasm in 2045.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Azerban posted:

Completely serious, I think.
"But nobody wants to play the US Men's National Team. This was just as bad a group for Germany and Ghana and Portugal as for the US."

"Jozy has kept his powder dry for America for the World Cup."

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

jyrka posted:

No idea if they're being sarcastic or they're serious or they're pretending to be serious to keep their American jobs?!
Over-hyping the US team is like their entire schtick. It's a joke.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

mynameisjohn posted:

Over-hyping the US team is like their entire schtick. It's a joke.
Jokes are supposed to be funny.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Chris de Sperg posted:

Jokes are supposed to be funny.
I thought the hitler joke was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

America could win the World Cup just like any team could win the World Cup, that is if every player on the opposing team were to get miraculously struck by lightning and killed and therefore they won the match by default, seven times in a row.