Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Even more bloody shark stuff, now with a new more Hammerhead-like head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Those look great Shoe. Please make him flap around like a fish out of water before being still when he dies! Hah

Made a portrait for the young version of my hero.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 10, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Definitely prefer the new head, Shoe, that was bugging me a bit about some of the angles on the old one.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Baldbeard posted:

Not really comfortable going small, so I got a little practice in.

That's adorable :3:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I think our protagonists might get along, Baldbeard.

I still have a lot of variations on facial expressions to do.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 10, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Love the :smug: exppression, a must for any videogame protagonist.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

I think our protagonists might get along, Baldbeard.

I still have a lot of variations on facial expressions to do.

Is this for a game? Looking good so far! Got any more characters to make?

Also a bit of an update:

Tried to make the shoulders more noticeable.

The Choas engine; I'm sort of wanting to keep the heads that way, I think it makes the pose look more interesting? Could be wrong.

Any Critique, Comments, advice etc is appreciated!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is this for a game? Looking good so far! Got any more characters to make?

Thanks! I'm making a puzzle/adventure game about turtles and programming. I think I'll need to do sprites for 3 or 4 additional NPCs, but thankfully none of them should require as many frames.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Ohhh man. 2 hours on this.

But I got a separate running, ducking, and "come'ere'puppy!" animation out of it. Pretty pleased.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
There's a game jam going on called #lowrezjam where you're supposed to make a game using a 32x32px canvas, it's so goddamn hard. I can recommend mocking some poo poo up, thread. Awesome challenge.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got too sick to work on finicky things like programming so I worked on my tileset. I cant wait to build poo poo with this..

Also it's 2:30 am and I've gone insane! :v:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Every tutorial can benefit from a crazy uncle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That crazy uncle looks a bit Whomp-ish.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It looks good! Was just wondering, but does this not wander into Oekaki territory? Apologies if that sounds rude.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Have any of you guys had success using GameMaker? I'm installing it now and thinking about using it for game mockups, since I only have just a little Flash/Actionscript experience and it's still a lot of raw coding to get something going in flash.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Baldbeard posted:

Have any of you guys had success using GameMaker? I'm installing it now and thinking about using it for game mockups, since I only have just a little Flash/Actionscript experience and it's still a lot of raw coding to get something going in flash.

Tons of great games have been made with Game Maker. Personally I use Stencyl which is also a decent choice for quickly getting stuff going.

Also, I can't stop doing 32x32 stuff now, it's a total obsession. Blows my freaking mind to think I make 32x32 tiles the whole time, to fit an entire game in there is just insane.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baldbeard posted:

It's totally viable for professional projects - the original Spelunky was made in Game Maker, as was Gunpoint and Hotline Miami.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Guess I will have to read up on my game maker tutorials then and get comfortable with it.

Another quick question for you programmers. When it comes to animations, say "running" "walking" whatever... how do you organize the frames? Do you do everything on a sprite sheet and then chop it from there? Do you make the animation as a Gif and then import it into whatever software you are using to make the game? -- or do you actually do the animation work in the game code? I'm trying to figure out how to organize all of this, before knowing how I'm going to use it.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 13, 2014

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
GameMaker will let you enter in the dimensions of one frame within a larger PNG sheet and will chop it up for you, and it'll probably pull frames from a GIF, too.

I like using 32-bit PNGs for everything for some arbitrary reason, so I usually end up with one carefully-spaced sheet, but I start with more of a GIF-style layering in my PSD work files, so I can always make a GIF if I want one.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Zackarotto posted:

GameMaker will let you enter in the dimensions of one frame within a larger PNG sheet and will chop it up for you, and it'll probably pull frames from a GIF, too.

I like using 32-bit PNGs for everything for some arbitrary reason, so I usually end up with one carefully-spaced sheet, but I start with more of a GIF-style layering in my PSD work files, so I can always make a GIF if I want one.

Additionally, if you use Pixen, I think there's an option to turn an animation into a style sheet, which lets you use both while still having the raws on hand pretty easily.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Baldbeard posted:

Guess I will have to read up on my game maker tutorials then and get comfortable with it.

Another quick question for you programmers. When it comes to animations, say "running" "walking" whatever... how do you organize the frames? Do you do everything on a sprite sheet and then chop it from there? Do you make the animation as a Gif and then import it into whatever software you are using to make the game? -- or do you actually do the animation work in the game code? I'm trying to figure out how to organize all of this, before knowing how I'm going to use it.

I used separate pngs because I didn't trust myself to keep everything uniform. :sweatdrop:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Still working on those characters (apologies for focusing so much on one thing, just want to make sure i get it right) and i've been given some advice from the pixelation forums and changed the bases somewhat;

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The three-pixel dick looks pretty weird, but they are looking way better overall. There is a lot more volume and they look much much better than the first draft.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Still working on those characters (apologies for focusing so much on one thing, just want to make sure i get it right) and i've been given some advice from the pixelation forums and changed the bases somewhat;

Those stylish soldiers have hilariously skintight armor. Agreed that these are much improved, though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Baldbeard posted:

Sprite sheets. And while it's probably a marginal difference for most uses, one big one with many sprites is better than the same sprites spread out over multiple smaller images as switching textures is one of the bigger performance hits you can take: if you've got everyone in one giant texture than the engine will never have to swap, and swapping gets expensive.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

I was using GameMaker up until just recently, when I switched everything to Unity (I didn't want to buy $600 worth of licenses so I could play my game on Android AND iOS) and I like it so much better. You could probably learn C# in as much time as it'd take you to learn GML anyway.
That said I feel like GameMaker is an incredible game jam/mockup tool with the drag and drop stuff and I don't regret buying it. You can get something playable and fun out within a day if you have a clear goal in mind.
I think if you're serious about making a real game your best bet is with Unity - not so say that you can't do it in GM, but I think for more serious projects you're going to hamstring yourself just so you don't have to learn C# or whatever.

As for animations, GM and Unity both handle it in the same way and it's pretty easy:
Make a spritesheet with all of your frames in a grid, and the software can just pull frames from the grid. Just keep every grid square the same size and it's super easy.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Chipp Zanuff posted:

It looks good! Was just wondering, but does this not wander into Oekaki territory? Apologies if that sounds rude.

I'm not familiar with the term. From what I'm reading it seems to refer more to the way images are made and shared than a style. Do you just mean that I'm working with really large images as pixel art goes?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Onion Knight posted:

I was using GameMaker up until just recently, when I switched everything to Unity (I didn't want to buy $600 worth of licenses so I could play my game on Android AND iOS) and I like it so much better. You could probably learn C# in as much time as it'd take you to learn GML anyway.
That said I feel like GameMaker is an incredible game jam/mockup tool with the drag and drop stuff and I don't regret buying it. You can get something playable and fun out within a day if you have a clear goal in mind.
I think if you're serious about making a real game your best bet is with Unity - not so say that you can't do it in GM, but I think for more serious projects you're going to hamstring yourself just so you don't have to learn C# or whatever.

As for animations, GM and Unity both handle it in the same way and it's pretty easy:
Make a spritesheet with all of your frames in a grid, and the software can just pull frames from the grid. Just keep every grid square the same size and it's super easy.

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, at this point I just really want to finish something even if it's tiny. I've started so many big projects and scrapped them because I got in over my head with features and code.

My next project is going to be super low res and focus a lot more on style and presentation rather than in-depth systems. GameMaker sounds pretty good for that.

I've done a bit of coding in ActionScript and am pretty comfortable with the basics, so I'm hoping learning GM and later C# for unity won't be so bad.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Here are some pixel doodles I've done lately.

I really want to work on something more substantial but nothing has inspired me lately.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Too small for liceCap's minimum window, apparently.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RedRupee posted:

Here are some pixel doodles I've done lately.

I really want to work on something more substantial but nothing has inspired me lately.

I have a pretty big project coming up for arcade cabinet + xbox. i really don't want to do all the art myself. we should talk!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

I'm not familiar with the term. From what I'm reading it seems to refer more to the way images are made and shared than a style. Do you just mean that I'm working with really large images as pixel art goes?

I don't think it's so much the size (afaik) it's more the style and look? I'm not a hundred percent sure, but it just reminds me of it, not that thats a bad thing!

Quick update:

Changed some small things. Version 1 is the original although i also edited the arms since to me the looked slightly weird. Version two i took out the dark colour in the pec-area as it implied a very deep gap and instead replaced it with same shaded colour. I also changed the head; making it taller so it actually had a forehead. Version 3 i eliminated the deep gap in the chest altogether, replacing it with the same lightest colour. Instead of making the head longer, i moved the nose and mouth down a pixel. I also eliminated the crotch thing in both edits. I know these are small changes, but i've been given advice to change them on Pixeljoint, so was just wondering if they have a good impact upon the bases, i also made 2 and 3 for comparison as i wasn't sure which one would work better.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I guess I can animate now?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Shoehead posted:

I guess I can animate now?

This is a really smooth running animation, and I'm really impressed/proud that you've reached it! I feel like you were limiting yourself with sticking to your old base so consistently not too long ago, but doing punkshark, this, and other things that have pushed you out of your comfort zone have been really nice to see, and I definitely encourage more of it because it's really clear to see that you've legitimately been making progress and learning new stuff. Good job!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Internet Janitor posted:

Oekaki is a scribbly style that got its name from a Japanese (collaborative?) drawing site. Your stuff isn't that, the question is just whether pixel art is the right medium for it*

*and who cares about that

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E: bleh.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 14, 2014

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
But the outlines and detail lines within the pictures look like they've been cleaned up by the pixel. How is it not pixel art? I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Cirrial posted:

But the outlines and detail lines within the pictures look like they've been cleaned up by the pixel. How is it not pixel art? I'm confused.

Yeah, I can see that now that I take a second look at it, so I apologize. It's about the aesthetic I suppose - but like people have said this is pretty much the least important thing on earth, ever.