Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rudoku posted:

But then how can they release event pokemon in Japan while telling everyone else to eat poo poo? Still waiting on my Nobunaga's Rayquaza and E-Speed Genesect...

Then they can give us items to all the quests, while occasionally having events with pokemon that have special moves or whatever. Best of both worlds: we can go to all the areas in the games at will while they can still have special promotions at random intervals.

I know I'd prefer actually being able to battle and capture the embodiment of nightmares in a dream instead of just have a random delivery man give it to me in a pokemon center.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nessa posted:

I really like Dedenne. I even bred and trained one in super training, before I realized that it doesn't get any of the good fairy moves.

Still, my Hamlet is adorable and nuzzles his enemies to death while picking up items for me.:3
This sounds shady to me. Are you sure it's not just picking peoples pockets?

Geostomp posted:

Then they can give us items to all the quests, while occasionally having events with pokemon that have special moves or whatever. Best of both worlds: we can go to all the areas in the games at will while they can still have special promotions at random intervals.

I know I'd prefer actually being able to battle and capture the embodiment of nightmares in a dream instead of just have a random delivery man give it to me in a pokemon center.

"Son/Miss! I have a deal for YOU! And for you alone. Here's your chance. I will sell you the secret Pokémon Volcanion... For an unbelievable 5.000.000! How about it? Interested?"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

DLCing event Mons would fall under the Horse Armor category.

Aren't event mons basically the same thing as free(typically) on-disc dlc?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

He might be. He tends to give pretty good items after we've fought some rich people in the Chateau.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Darth TNT posted:

"Son/Miss! I have a deal for YOU! And for you alone. Here's your chance. I will sell you the secret Pokémon Volcanion... For an unbelievable 5.000.000! How about it? Interested?"

Even the Pokeball is made of solid gold! :downs:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

July 4 in PAL-land, "this fall" in NA.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 12, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

Also, temporary Mega Evoutions are around now that boost underpowered pokemon to Legendary levels for one battle.

Not just underpowered Pokemon, also Ubers like Mewtwo and Blaziken.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even with its mega form, Blaziken is arguably in a worse situation now than it was in the previous generation, even if for no other reason than the popularity of Talonflame.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Astro Nut posted:

And even if they wanted to keep it, what they could is like a delayed circulation kinda thing. Ie, if you want the super special rare legendary within the first several months after the game is released? Head down to Event X or whatever! However, if you wait till like, the generation ends, or a couple years pass, then delight as you receive a notification - or otherwise discover - that they're now available via the eshop/mystery gifts.

This is a bit naive. Timed events are an incentive to get you to buy the game around launch for instance, not years down the line. They want your money as soon as they can get it. So it's one's own fault if they buy a game like 4 years after it first came out and then complain the downloadable events aren't available anymore. Shouldn't have waited years and years to buy the game then, dummy.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Geostomp posted:

That's what I meant. Just give use some free DLC for those event quest key items so we can reach the areas and pokemon they add without bothering with all this artificial scarcity nonsense.

Not to mention that event legendaries and the like wouldn't have to be on the cart at launch and therefore discovered in the code months and months before their "reveal".

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 12, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

less laughter posted:

This is a bit naive. Timed events are an incentive to get you to buy the game around launch for instance, not years down the line. They want your money as soon as they can get it. So it's one's own fault if they buy a game like 4 years after it first came out and then complain the downloadable events aren't available anymore. Shouldn't have waited years and years to buy the game then, dummy.

...Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying in turn, but I think you misunderstood my suggestion a bit. These would be events that become downloadable by the point where the generation effectively doesn't matter so much to Nintendo because the next one is already out. After all, normally the events to get the items or exceedingly rare legendaries in question are events limited to certain locations, so its not like the bulk of consumers have a means to access them anyway. And since we now live in the era of the internet and all, it doesn't seem that it would be too difficult to enter them into the regular download function, rather than requiring people to go off to some space center to nab Jirachi.

On the other hand, I do somewhat get the point of wanting people to actually spend money on the game within the relevant timespan, which is probably the main thing that hampers the idea. After all, one could argue the possibility that such events get rendered moot if even the people who would normally go, decide not to because just waiting a couple years isn't that demanding, especially if the only benefit is just to have the extra pokemon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Astro Nut posted:

...Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying in turn, but I think you misunderstood my suggestion a bit. These would be events that become downloadable by the point where the generation effectively doesn't matter so much to Nintendo because the next one is already out. After all, normally the events to get the items or exceedingly rare legendaries in question are events limited to certain locations, so its not like the bulk of consumers have a means to access them anyway. And since we now live in the era of the internet and all, it doesn't seem that it would be too difficult to enter them into the regular download function, rather than requiring people to go off to some space center to nab Jirachi.

On the other hand, I do somewhat get the point of wanting people to actually spend money on the game within the relevant timespan, which is probably the main thing that hampers the idea. After all, one could argue the possibility that such events get rendered moot if even the people who would normally go, decide not to because just waiting a couple years isn't that demanding, especially if the only benefit is just to have the extra pokemon.

Yeah, making them downloadable at a later point would set a precedent and signal that you don't have to haul your rear end to Gamestop or wherever it can be downloaded the first time around, or buy the game in the first year it's out or whatever because after that the download event will be gone forever. It would be great and convenient for us, but bad from a marketing and business standpoint, which is what these events are all about in the first place.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thing that annoyed me about Pokemon Conquest was that they applied that logic to their DLC maps, not just pokemon that you could get from a friend that was there, but entire campaigns that you didn't get to play because they brought down the servers after a few months.

Thankfully Fire Emblem Awakening didn't do the same thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You can input passwords to access those Conquest events instead. It does use up a password slot, but you've got plenty, it's no big deal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Not the password pokemon, I got a few of those. I was referring to the downloadable events which were only available for a few months and then they took them all down on new years 2013.
e: Nevermind, there are apparently passwords for those, bpedia just doesn't have them.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 12, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

PSWII60 posted:

I legitimately felt terrible for stomping Sarena into the ground. It seemed to be making her depressed.

I played as the girl character, and I didn't even feel remotely bad about beating Calem's sorry rear end. According to some people who've played both genders, apparently Calem just seems like more of a dick, whereas Serena feels like a bit more of a rival. They're both incompetent as gently caress, though. (Here's to hoping Z will amp up the difficulty curb a bit! It would be nice to actually feel like you need to train every once in a while, instead of just waltzing through the game.)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

You know how in gen 1 and 2 the rivals are total assholes? They're always showing up right after gyms or tough dungeons to fight you, and they're really smug about it when they beat your 2-man pre- poisoned team. They're way weaker than you, but know when to show up to make that not matter, and everyone gives them more recognition.

That's you in X/Y as a male character. Serena is the gen 1/2 protagonist and you're the smug rear end in a top hat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That comparison doesn't really mean a whole lot when she doesn't come through in the end and wallop you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
On the subject of rival talk, out of all the rivals, the best one has got to be Barry / Jorge. Hyperactive, yet likeable; fights you a whole bunch of times, so he feels like a rival instead of "that guy you occasionally see every now and again"; has a decently challenging team with type coverage; goes through actual character development throughout the story; etc.

He's also a complete moron in the best way.

(Chorocojo's Platinum LP was the best)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

On the subject of rival talk, out of all the rivals, the best one has got to be Barry / Jorge. Hyperactive, yet likeable; fights you a whole bunch of times, so he feels like a rival instead of "that guy you occasionally see every now and again"; has a decently challenging team with type coverage; goes through actual character development throughout the story; etc.

He's also a complete moron in the best way.

(Chorocojo's Platinum LP was the best)

I liked Cheren and Bianca myself. They both got development over the games, actually helped in the story, and overall really did seem like your character's old friends. My only complaints is that it did get annoying to have them appear right after each other in the games and their battles were too easy, but I can forgive that since N was the real "rival" for you to beat. They just added more to the games than Barry being an idiot savant about battles.

Plus, I loved their goofy, Mario & Luigi style theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYsUn6sEGtA

I think the fact that I actually liked the BW rivals (not BW2) is part of why I really disliked those annoying hangers-on of XY (not that they don't suck in a vacuum, but that did intensify it).

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 13, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So I got burned out halfway through Black 2, I just stopped caring although I'm excited to play ruby again. Should I give X/Y a chance? I mean, I'm posting here so I obviously haven't completely turned apathetic towards the series. Was Black 2 just really loving boring?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Perhaps it's damning with faint praise, but at least the kids from XY aren't Hugh.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

So I got burned out halfway through Black 2, I just stopped caring although I'm excited to play ruby again. Should I give X/Y a chance? I mean, I'm posting here so I obviously haven't completely turned apathetic towards the series. Was Black 2 just really loving boring?

Nah, I thought Black and White 2 were really solid games. I spent so much time levelling up my Join Avenue and participating in the Pokemon World Tournament. I completed my sex in that game to get the shiny charm.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Austrian mook posted:

The narrative of black/white 2 is an insane mess of things just happening. XY is a lot more solid.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

Perhaps it's damning with faint praise, but at least the kids from XY aren't Hugh.

Hugh was more interesting than the XY kids, and plus there was only one of him!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

chaos rhames posted:

The narrative of black/white 2 is an insane mess of things just happening. XY is a lot more solid.

Basically, I got to the desert and was just really bored, couldn't play through it any further.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Its part of my general love of the gen, so that's probably affecting my better judgement about it, but I enjoyed Wally as my rival. I dunno, there's something kind of sweet about how you get to be the one who supports a new trainer on taking the first step on their journey, and then, whilst you were out saving the world and stuff, it turns out he'd managed to make his way to meet you at the end of Victory Road. I think the sheer gap kind of helped in some ways, because given everything else, you're liable to pretty much forget about him, before he suddenly turns up and demands a chance to prove himself against you.

And know what? Dude drat well did for me a few times. Of course, then Emerald came out and I knew how to get Rayquaza...

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I must be weird; I liked Hugh. I liked his naive mission to find his sister's Purrloin that was stolen years ago, because I knew how badly that would turn out, and I was not disappointed. I also liked him punching a Plasma grunt in the face. I also liked his battle theme. It's one of my favorites--kinda like Silver's, but better.

Did everyone conveniently forget the two most boring rivals, Brendan/May? And Wally to an extent. He didn't even feel like a rival--you fight him twice, and the second time is at the end of Victory Road, like the developers completely forgot he existed after you beat down his Ralts like a million gyms ago, and shoehorned him in at the last second.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 13, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How Ingratiating! posted:

I must be weird; I liked Hugh. I liked his naive mission to find his sister's Purrloin that was stolen years ago, because I knew how badly that would turn out, and I was not disappointed. I also liked him punching a Plasma grunt in the face. I also liked his battle theme. It's one of my favorites--kinda like Silver's, but better.

Did everyone conveniently forget the two most boring rivals, Brendan/May? And Wally to an extent. He didn't even feel like a rival--you fight him twice, and the second time is at the end of Victory Road, like the developers completely forgot he existed after you beat down his Ralts like a million gyms ago.

The RSE rivals pissed me off because they inexplicably give up halfway through. You don't even see their starter's final evo, for god's sakes!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
So close to having a complete Japanese pokedex on X! The only non-legendaries I'm missing are Politoed, Steelix, Gorebyss and Porygon-Z. Total of 694 Japanese dex entries, against 707 English ones. (The missing legendaries are Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Suicune, Celebi, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde.)

I have 15 (not completely full) boxes of Japanese mons in Bank. It's not a living dex although it does have quite a few complete families. Plus some that I didn't send to Bank on the grounds that they are good breeding stock.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
As I kid my cousin had told me that if I didn't fight May at the door of the Lilycove Department store then she would fight you with her fully evolved team after you beat Steven. I believed it just because I really wanted to battle against her fully evolved starter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

How Ingratiating! posted:

Did everyone conveniently forget the two most boring rivals, Brendan/May? And Wally to an extent. He didn't even feel like a rival--you fight him twice, and the second time is at the end of Victory Road, like the developers completely forgot he existed after you beat down his Ralts like a million gyms ago, and shoehorned him in at the last second.

To be fair, I don't think they even qualified as "rivals". Sure you fought a couple of times and they picked the starter strong against yours, but they were really just Birch's kid out helping. Wally was even less of a rival. If anything, you were his mentor and he just wanted a chance to show that he'd become strong enough to stand on his own and wasn't just that sickly kid with the Ralts anymore. I guess to make up for having two evil teams, you got zero rivals in RSE. It'd have been better if your rival got the opposite Legendary while Wally be somehow tied to Rayquaza to give them something to do. At very least they could show up more and not just drop off into obscurity so quickly.

I kind of agree about Hugh. He's basically a kid who deluded himself into thinking he was the protagonist of your typical anime fighting for his sister's honor and "mentoring" a younger trainer (you). Then he gets his ego deflated when everybody else shows how they've all moved on or barely even remember what happened while you easily surpass him at every turn and he's forced to admit that he's just trying to deal with the blow to his ego he got from his past failure. It's a change for to have a rival acknowledged to be a wannabe.

Meanwhile, your XY friends like dancing and studying, I guess?

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Geostomp posted:

Meanwhile, your XY friends like dancing and studying, I guess?

Dancing, Studying, and if Parfum Palace is any indication, awkward lesbian undertones.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nethilia posted:

Dancing, Studying, and if Parfum Palace is any indication, awkward lesbian undertones.

I always have fun as the female protagonist in these games because some of the dialog gives off the impression your character is hitting on other girls, clearly written for the male character.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I always have fun as the female protagonist in these games because some of the dialog gives off the impression your character is hitting on other girls, clearly written for the male character.

what dialog?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Austrian mook posted:

what dialog?

"It's the first time I've ever watched fireworks with a <player gender> before :allears:"

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Uuuuuugghgh… Zygarde, please just go in the ball, I'm tired of fighting you.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

The White Dragon posted:

"It's the first time I've ever watched fireworks with a <player gender> before :allears:"

Actually if your playing as a girl Shauna says, "I really hope we get to be great friends, <player>..."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cerony posted:

Actually if your playing as a girl Shauna says, "I really hope we get to be great friends, <player>..."

Poor form gamefreak, poor form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nethilia posted:

Who's more annoying? The condescending little kid who explains every word with more than one syllable to you or the fat guy who won't shut the gently caress up about dancing?

"Condescending", or to put it another way, talking down to people.

• Locked thread