Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

bandman posted:

This is why (generally) these type of companies have good, well-documented safety procedures and they don't put up with morons or tough-guy/cowboy bullshit.

Interesting post, thanks for the insight. I've always been curious about the typical jobsite attitude where the workers seem to know and follow all of the safety restrictions, even if mocking the rules and following them sarcastically. You don't want to be paint a target on your back or be the guy who costs your company a bid down the line.

My father is a retired union electrician, and I know one of things he definitely doesn't miss is standing around not doing work because the safety regulations stated that he needed so-and-so many other team members and representatives around just for him to climb a ladder and push a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Team140 posted:

At least it's a real H1 and not the silly little H2.

I think that makes it worse.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

meatpimp posted:

Post terrible license plates on cars randomly parked in front of your house on a foggy morning:

Bet he's proud of that now.

But this is OK because this is my car. There are several things that are terrible car stuff about this, but I dont care because I'm a huge nerd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen "UNIXDOC" and "I LINUX" where I work. It's a research lab, stuffed to the gills with nerds.

Bunch of particle physics related plates too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nitrogen posted:

But this is OK because this is my car. There are several things that are terrible car stuff about this, but I dont care because I'm a huge nerd.

I see you've upgraded from a Mazda!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

What's so bad about three-phase power sitting around?

Three phase power isn't the issue when done properly, but arc flash is a scary thing. That, and the general state of the transformers + the way the connections used to be done into the disconnects was... interesting. It was more the general lack of respect and disregard for safety procedures (yes, you need to LOTO the 600V/3P panel before working on it, oh wait holy poo poo it's still live my god what are you doing) than anything else. It will kill you if you gently caress up. Plus all the stuff STR said.

We manufacture equipment that winds up on industrial sites around the world, so there's just about every type of transformer out on the floor. The shop is significantly better than when I started, mainly because we're bidding on high dollar value work that typically requires very good safety records / policies / procedures / etc. before you're even allowed to bid.

Arc flash is scary though, now whenever I throw a disconnect I do it with my left hand standing beside the disconnect, never in front. Always throw a disconnect with your non-dominant hand, so that if it explodes you've still got your dominant one!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Team140 posted:

A buddy and I ran across this one a few years back in Naples, FL. At least it's a real H1 and not the silly little H2.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

I've seen "UNIXDOC" and "I LINUX" where I work. It's a research lab, stuffed to the gills with nerds.

I have a Black Mesa parking permit sticker on my back window. It's a little expired by now, though...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xzzy posted:

But when they post a 14 1/2 MPH speed limit and have guys bitching because I was going 15, well that's taking it a little far.

A 14.5mph limit gets your attention, if you're not doing over 20 that's good enough for me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xzzy posted:

Please tell me they have novelty bumper stickers like I'D RATHER BE SMASHING

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh the terrible Pavillions.

Also known as "Pavilions After Dark".

No shortage of terrible in the daylight, though. Some greybeard got all angry because I called his ERA Cobra a "kit" and not a "replica".

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also known as "Pavilions After Dark".

No shortage of terrible in the daylight, though. Some greybeard got all angry because I called his ERA Cobra a "kit" and not a "replica".

Hahaha same thing happened to me at the Pavs many moons ago but with a GT-40. I stopped going even for picture taking because even the slightly interesting stuff is covered in plaques and posters making it impossible to take a picture of.

Edit: Unless the DMC-12 guys show up. They're always loving hilarious to hang out with.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

How many Deloreans does it take to get one to a car show, or do they just cut to the chase and trailer it there?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hahaha same thing happened to me at the Pavs many moons ago but with a GT-40. I stopped going even for picture taking because even the slightly interesting stuff is covered in plaques and posters making it impossible to take a picture of.

Edit: Unless the DMC-12 guys show up. They're always loving hilarious to hang out with.

I haven't been in probably five+ years. I will probably start going again (as in, maybe a few times a year) once my daughter is a bit older since I think she might get a kick out of it all the same.

Galler: In this case, at least when I last went, trailers were heavily frowned upon, at least partially due to how much parking they take up from other businesses.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

nitrogen posted:

In creeper news, I've seen you on 190 before. Tho I guess it's not too creeper-y cuz I'm pretty sure we know some of the same people.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Galler posted:

How many Deloreans does it take to get one to a car show, or do they just cut to the chase and trailer it there?

We know it takes two to go for a cup of coffee, so, like, all of them?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think I'd be terrible if I went through with buying this. Yay/Nay?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

I think I'd be terrible if I went through with buying this. Yay/Nay?

Yes. Especially since you didn't go with the easier to read ZGERMNZ.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nocheez posted:

Yes. Especially since you didn't go with the easier to read ZGERMNZ.

Plate ZGERMNZ is not available. It is either assigned to a vehicle or is not available due to unacceptable content.

Please search again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Plate ZGERMNZ is not available. It is either assigned to a vehicle or is not available due to unacceptable content.

Please search again.

ZERGRSH

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I see you've upgraded from a Mazda!

The funny thing is that is a Canadian model Protege. He had to have converted the seat belts to those horrible motorized versions or found some way around the requirement. Apparently that plate is attached to a 2002 BMW M5 now. :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if it's awesome or awful. I saw this thing on the street yesterday:

Complete with tacky-rear end wrap. It got away before I could get a camera on it so that's not my picture.

But drat. My first real F40.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phy posted:

I'm not sure if it's awesome or awful. I saw this thing on the street yesterday:

Complete with tacky-rear end wrap. It got away before I could get a camera on it so that's not my picture.

zr auto being tacky? noooooooooooooooooooo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phy posted:

Zahir Rana. May want to look around about that particular F40 before...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

Please search again.

Then just "yes" is my answer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The guy wants 24 grand for this.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BlackMK4 posted:

Zahir Rana. May want to look around about that particular F40 before...

No that was his Enzo/FXX replica he drove into the ocean.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

No that was his Enzo/FXX replica he drove into the ocean.

Yeah, but he had a carbon fiber wrap on that f40 last year.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but he had a carbon fiber wrap on that f40 last year.

The irony of carbon fiber wrapping a carbon fiber car is definitely not lost on me.

E: Has anyone ever figured out how Zahir actually makes money? I can't imagine his little shop in the 'hood is all that profitable that he can afford to buy (and ruin) million-dollar cars like he does.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have no idea who this guy is but he's got alberta plates so would't "oil money" be the assumed source of funds? Or at least other people with oil money, willing to spend it on retardedly done-up supercars?

I mean there's always these amazing cars on kajiji I see the alberta guys posting in the craigslist gold thread, I just assumed it was because there were so many people with oil money. I certainly met more than one 20something male who was into hot cars or racing when I lived in Calgary, and they all seemed to have money stemming from the oil business in one way or another (petroleum engineer, businessperson for oil company, oilfield worker, or just straight up oil money.)

Of course most of the oilfield workers just build brotrucks.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 13, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Post terrible license plates on cars randomly parked in front of your house on a foggy morning:

Bet he's proud of that now.

Post terrible license plates from other goon's threads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

The irony of carbon fiber wrapping a carbon fiber car is definitely not lost on me.

E: Has anyone ever figured out how Zahir actually makes money? I can't imagine his little shop in the 'hood is all that profitable that he can afford to buy (and ruin) million-dollar cars like he does.

His bio on the zrauto site used to mention him running his parents stores of some sort. It also says he graduated from college in england in 1977, then moved to canada. his bio here(warning: PDF) http://www.businessincalgary.com/include/get.php?nodeid=1189&format=download says

quote:

“I drove to Vancouver and was hired
as a pump jockey, making $3 an hour, because no one
would hire me as a mechanic – given the misperception that my skills weren’t transferable because of the
notoriously small cars I worked on in England.”
Between shifts, Rana would sneak into the garage
in order to learn more about North American cars and
his determined spirit impressed the boss. Eventually
he was taken off “pump-duty” and worked in the service department for five years, learning the trade as it
is practiced in Canada.
In 1983, Rana bought his first Ferrari

so he started as a $3/hour pump jockey, then worked in as a service tech at a gas station/mechanic shop for 5 years, and then bought a ferrari, which is a totally normal story.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Powershift posted:

His bio on the zrauto site used to mention him running his parents stores of some sort. It also says he graduated from college in england in 1977, then moved to canada. his bio here(warning: PDF) http://www.businessincalgary.com/include/get.php?nodeid=1189&format=download says

so he started as a $3/hour pump jockey, then worked in as a service tech at a gas station/mechanic shop for 5 years, and then bought a ferrari, which is a totally normal story.

If you've been working for five years or more and don't have a Ferrari you just aren't bootstrapping hard enough.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Yes? I mean, Fierros don't cost much. :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Is this a medieval dressup thing?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Veganism and SUVs; you shouldn't eat meat but hey never mind the poisoning of the atmosphere.

Generally speaking if you get a boot at the university parking lot, it is probably because you have other tickets owning. The funny thing is that the owner showed up later with a friend who was driving a Honda NSX, arguing outside of it on the phone with whoever--assuming security.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Figured this series should go here, maybe get kastein to sperg about it. I wasn't able to spend too long taking pictures, since the guy who owned it was inside the office to the left in the first one, and I didn't want to have to explain to a bro why I was taking pictures of his Jeep while giggling and shaking my head slowly.

Granted, I don't know all that much about offroad suspension, so this might be okay. Considering how worn the tires were and the splashes of muddy water (or rust) on some parts, it might work just fine, and just look like poo poo, in which case, carry on. :patriot:

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

xzzy posted:

Where is this? I worked in a salt mine on some physics stuff, and the safety there was insane since it was a mine + nuclear facility + government run.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
most of what he has there looks fine to me.

Good parts even.

the spacers, eh. the Y bar should really be upgraded though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I think that may be the nicest lifted vehicle ever posted in this thread.